2018 Body Transformation Thread

I’ve fallen off the wagon bad. Back up to 227. Meal prep fell apart and I changed my breakfast to a smoothie. The smoothie is great, but I was getting hungry at 10 am and eating a bag of chips with a Diet Coke. Then another Diet Coke at lunch. Got back to a two a day habit. Lunch has been burger and fries or some other combo of that.

It’s amazing how much diet plays a role in weight. Eating like shit makes me tired too.

That said - meal planning is back in full swing. I found a good mid morning and mid afternoon snack option. Workouts will start up again Sunday.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 9:59 AM, SimonBolivar said:

God damn Halloween.

I agree.  Wife has those candy corn pumpkins and is gobbling those down like crazy.  She doesn't gain a fucking ounce.  I have 3 and I gain 6 pounds it feels like.  I've been doing well as to avoid the candy.  It's just everywhere and the temptation is strong. 

I got off the wagon last week and went crazy on grapes.  I mean, I ate probably a good 8 pounds of grapes over the week.  I just couldn't stop.  This last Monday, I was up to 220.  Stayed clean the rest of this week and hit 216 this morning.

• Like 1

Have not posted in awhile but I am still at. Just over 20 lbs lost and the first time I have been in the 180's (189.1) in probably fifteen years.  Not dropping like I was, pretty much have leveled off to 0.5 to 1lb a week (some weeks 0). I am still drinking to much beer, but I don't mind the slow loss if I can have a few cold ones.  I guess at my next level off I will need to slow down on the alcohol intake.

Keep at it everyone and thanks for the motivation.

• Like 1

Figured I'd post this here vs. starting a cholesterol only thread.  My question for any doctors or others who are knowledgeable is whether I should quit statin drugs.  I have been taking generic Crestor for about 8 years or so.  I don't seem to have any major complications from the Crestor, but sometimes my thighs are sore, but it may be from exercising.  With the Crestor, my numbers from mid-September are as follows:  TC 141, HDL 60, Trig 118 and LDL 61.  Everything is in range.  I quit taking Crestor for about 6 weeks and at a wellness test at work my TC and HDL were tested and TC was 187 and HDL was 39 (T and LDL were not tested).  The TC is fine, but HDL is just below the acceptable 40-59 range.  The Crestor clearly is effective at increasing my HDL level and lowering my TC.

I work out most days (5-6 times a week) and try to eat healthy most of the time.  I'm probably around and occasionally over the 14 drink "limit" per week for alcohol.  I'm 56 years old and I'm 6'2" and weigh 180 with a 34.5 inch waist.  My doctor is very conservative and basically says that if it's a close call, take statins.  But I hate taking drugs unless I really need them.  Any thoughts?  BTW, I took Ocean Blue Omega 3-2100 fish oil for several years without seeing any effect on my numbers.  

On 11/1/2018 at 10:11 AM, Goofyboy said:

I’ve fallen off the wagon bad. Back up to 227. Meal prep fell apart and I changed my breakfast to a smoothie. The smoothie is great, but I was getting hungry at 10 am and eating a bag of chips with a Diet Coke. Then another Diet Coke at lunch. Got back to a two a day habit. Lunch has been burger and fries or some other combo of that.

It’s amazing how much diet plays a role in weight. Eating like shit makes me tired too.

That said - meal planning is back in full swing. I found a good mid morning and mid afternoon snack option. Workouts will start up again Sunday.

Throw some steel cut oats, coconut oil, protein powder, cacao butter and peanut butter in your smoothies. The fat, protein and complex carbs will make it way more of a meal and lower the glycemic index so you don’t have a mid morning crash. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I FINALLY made it into the gym and got checked out on all the neat toys they have. Hitting the keto hard to close out the year. Month and a half gents, let's kick its ass.

Keep it up! Thats great that you are getting into the gym.

GF wants to run a 5K, so I've started running a bit. It is amazing how losing a bit of weight makes running so much easier. Still can't run 5K without stopping at even a slow pace but I am able to go 25-30 minutes nonstop. Hopefully I'll be there soon.

11 minutes ago, Shenanigans said:

GF wants to run a 5K, so I've started running a bit. It is amazing how losing a bit of weight makes running so much easier. Still can't run 5K without stopping at even a slow pace but I am able to go 25-30 minutes nonstop. Hopefully I'll be there soon.

Thanks! At my age (58) and after taking roughly a 14 year hiatus from healthy living while I tried to kill myself with alcohol it's not easy. At all. Gotta crawl before we can walk, etc...

On 11/9/2018 at 12:11 PM, HouTex said:

Figured I'd post this here vs. starting a cholesterol only thread.  My question for any doctors or others who are knowledgeable is whether I should quit statin drugs.  I have been taking generic Crestor for about 8 years or so.  I don't seem to have any major complications from the Crestor, but sometimes my thighs are sore, but it may be from exercising.  With the Crestor, my numbers from mid-September are as follows:  TC 141, HDL 60, Trig 118 and LDL 61.  Everything is in range.  I quit taking Crestor for about 6 weeks and at a wellness test at work my TC and HDL were tested and TC was 187 and HDL was 39 (T and LDL were not tested).  The TC is fine, but HDL is just below the acceptable 40-59 range.  The Crestor clearly is effective at increasing my HDL level and lowering my TC.

I work out most days (5-6 times a week) and try to eat healthy most of the time.  I'm probably around and occasionally over the 14 drink "limit" per week for alcohol.  I'm 56 years old and I'm 6'2" and weigh 180 with a 34.5 inch waist.  My doctor is very conservative and basically says that if it's a close call, take statins.  But I hate taking drugs unless I really need them.  Any thoughts?  BTW, I took Ocean Blue Omega 3-2100 fish oil for several years without seeing any effect on my numbers.  

Not a Dr. but know this stuff pretty well as I'm high risk (shitty genetics).  TC is pretty much a worthless marker so don't think anyone could weigh in on post-statin numbers without LDL-C at a minimum.  The best way to gauge risk is to get an NMR Lipoprofile to test LDL-P (LDL Particle Count).  It most likely will align with your LDL-C but possibility they are discordant.   If you (or anyone) ever wants to dive into this stuff I've found Peter Attia (blog, podcast) as the best resource.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Not a Dr. but know this stuff pretty well as I'm high risk (shitty genetics).  TC is pretty much a worthless marker so don't think anyone could weigh in on post-statin numbers without LDL-C at a minimum.  The best way to gauge risk is to get an NMR Lipoprofile to test LDL-P (LDL Particle Count).  It most likely will align with your LDL-C but possibility they are discordant.   If you (or anyone) ever wants to dive into this stuff I've found Peter Attia (blog, podcast) as the best resource.   

That's consistent with what my Dr. says about getting the full lipid profile.

1 hour ago, Shenanigans said:

Try working in scheduled walk breaks.  Run 10 minutes / walk 1 minute.  I found it keeps the legs fresher longer and that my overall time is better than trying to run straight through.  Especially helpful for full and half marathons, but I do in during any training run or race.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Try working in scheduled walk breaks.  Run 10 minutes / walk 1 minute.  I found it keeps the legs fresher longer and that my overall time is better than trying to run straight through.  Especially helpful for full and half marathons, but I do in during any training run or race.

So I have done couch to 5k on and off and this is the method they go with until you get to the point where you just do 20, 25, 30 minute nonstop intervals. Do you still recommend that? I'm just on a treadmill so my pace is pretty constant at about 5.5 MPH when I'm actually jogging. Should I consider jogging at a faster pace and taking the run breaks or keep doing the slower, longer runs to get my cardio up?

I had not gotten on the scale in a couple of months and decided to yesterday and today. 238 yesterday evening and 235 this morning. That's down roughly 10 pounds from this time last year and about 25 from where I started at this year (I put on a shitload of post surgery weight late last year). I just assumed that I'd put some weight back on since I'd been just sort of half ass paying attention to the keto but I've managed to maintain pretty much where I was at in late August without really doing anything at all. That's a good thing. Now I'll have to put some effort into losing more but I think if I just keep doing what I've been doing and with the added exercise I'm getting from going to the gym now, I can see getting down to 225 this year. Home stretch time!

I've plateaued for the last couple of weeks but that's my own fault. Getting weak-minded and eating pringles and shit. But even with that being said, my clothes are getting too big to wear. My 40 waist jeans are falling off and the 38 isn't much better. I found 3 jackets in the closet that I've avoided for years, as I hating looking like a sausage. That shit is over now, I look fine in all of them. I still need to buckle down and get more discipline but at least I can have a little positivity about how I'm doing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

I've plateaued for the last couple of weeks but that's my own fault. Getting weak-minded and eating pringles and shit. But even with that being said, my clothes are getting too big to wear. My 40 waist jeans are falling off and the 38 isn't much better. I found 3 jackets in the closet that I've avoided for years, as I hating looking like a sausage. That shit is over now, I look fine in all of them. I still need to buckle down and get more discipline but at least I can have a little positivity about how I'm doing.

Know the feeling. I've had several coworkers comment lately on the new wardrobe. I'm like "Nope, nothing new, just shit I can finally get into again".

I know jack shit about losing weight and doing cardio. That said, interval training is the best for weight loss/fat burning, yes? Is there a recommended length of exertion to rest ratio or whatever? I've got some idea of what my target heart rate should be but that's about all I know.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

I know jack shit about losing weight and doing cardio. That said, interval training is the best for weight loss/fat burning, yes? Is there a recommended length of exertion to rest ratio or whatever? I've got some idea of what my target heart rate should be but that's about all I know.

I lift weights hard for 45-50 minutes first. I do heavy weight/low reps with a rest for about 2 minutes in between sets. Then I do cardio for 15 minutes. I aim for 145-150 bpm for my target heart rate for that time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Did everyone survive the holiday weekend? I managed to keep up my diet and not gain any weight, so that was a big plus for me. 

I survived. I ate a good bit but tried to keep the carbs down and I did make it to the gym 2 out of the 4 days I was off. I haven't stepped on the scale yet but I think I'm okay. I've got like 19 days to shed as much as possible before we have our weigh out here at work. Cash money is my motivation right now.

On 9/15/2018 at 7:09 AM, Mr. Drummond said:

Monthly update:

I have been hovering around 197lbs. 

I know i could get into the mid 180s pretty quickly if i wanted to, but I have lost a 2-3 lbs in the last month, so i think i will keep this going like I am, and slowly get there.

So its been a few months since an update.    I got into the 180s for a few days, but eating OMAD (keto centric) my body doesn't want to stay there.   I go from 195-200 pretty regularly, if i hit 200 in the morning, i fast for 2 days and get back down.    Just maintaining now.    And 195 is fine with me, I'm 50 and i go run 3 miles every other day - good enough for this old guy.     Quite the change from March 17th when i started fasting well over 300 lbs.

• Like 3

Just 30 days left in the year! I've been getting into the gym 4-5 days a week the last couple weeks. It's a start. Right now I'm just hitting the exercise bike for ~45 minutes a day. At 58 and after having done literally nothing for years and years I'm good with that. I figure just getting into the habit of going to the gym is as important as what I do while I'm there. Next year looms large and I'm excited about it. I bought a FitBit knockoff and just started tracking my activity so I'll be incorporating that feedback into whatever I decide to do. Let's go out with a bang, gang!

Been a little lax with the gym lately. Had a big work trip last week to New Orleans. Ate MOSTLY well. Too much beer though. I weighed last Tuesday before my trip and I was down to 213.4 (103 pounds down). Weighed Saturday when I got back and gained 3. Went back on the strict diet and got my ass back to the gym this morning and I’m 214.8 this morning. I’d love to be 210 by Christmas. That’s my goal for the rest of 2018. 

Looking back over the last year, hard to believe that I’ve lost over 100 pounds. I feel great and it’s really a confidence boost. Losing weight is one of the hardest things to do. Keeping it off is even harder. Let’s finish the year strong guys. Good luck.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2018 at 11:57 AM, 4th&Five said:

i've been maintaining between 183-185 for the last few months.  much easier than trying to lose, which i did for a year.  good luck next week everyone.

I just wobbled back up to 183 from 177 due to a combo of shitty eating and not working out like I had.  Need to get back on the horse.

Going back to right before Thanksgiving, have fallen back into the bad habit of eating right and laying off the booze Monday through lunchtime Thursday, but then going for out drinks and dinner on Thursdays and following up by drinking and eating like shit all weekend. I weigh in each Monday morning right around 200, but drop back to around 194 on Thursday. Haven't been at my target of 185 in months.

On the bright side, I have been pretty good about sticking to a morning workout routine the past 3 weeks and should be pretty well settled back into a fitness groove by the time the annual "eat better and get in shape" New Years Resolution rolls around. Now, just need to survive the excesses of the holiday season before getting serious about the diet again. I turn 35 in March and have a seat a goal to meet or beat my target by then. 

• Like 1

I will just say this, do what you want, diet, etc. I understand the Keto hate, but it has worked for me so far. Hit a low weight today, and have gone from Obese BMI to overweight, to now normal. It is what is is, I am down about 63 pounds in 6 months now, and will keep it going for a while. Don't have much more to lose, but want to keep going. You fuckers were my inspiration, really, so I thank y'all for everything, The last 15 or so I want to lose will be the toughest, but will happen., 

• Like 2

Tomorrow is the weigh in for our biggest loser challenge at work. The scale here at work is a POS and it seems to give a different result every time I step on it. I mean like I can hop on it 3 times in succession and get results that vary by a pound or more. That said, I think I'm down around 4 lbs over the last month which puts me close to 2 percent body weight. I've got a holiday dinner to go to tonight and I'm torn between enjoying the great food and toughing it out.

Either way, hitting the gym has been the best habit I've picked up in the last month. After being reduced to practically bedridden last year I'm able to work up a pretty good sweat for an hour now and my trainer assures me that I'll start to notice it on the scale and in my clothing sooner rather than later.

I think the most frustrating part of all of this has been how what I was doing initially just stopped working along the way. No real change in diet or calorie intake, just stopped losing the weight. I'm counting on the time in the gym to restart the losing.