2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They got the pitching to shut down either of those teams.  They weren't the AL #1 seed and in the WS by luck.

Felt like we outplayed them in like 5 of the 7 games but yeah- I know what you mean. That’s a damn good pitching staff they’ve got over there. Their offense has been just enough. That defense is on point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Fudge Nuggets said:

But then I wouldn't be able to provide the criticism you require for improvement opportunities.

Yeah, I don't pay attention to any of that.

You should just put me on ignore because I am going to be pessimistic the entire offseason.

It's going to be even more insufferable than usual, so strap in. Lots of bitching. Lots of complaining. I might even bring some CR into the mix. It'll be fun!

• Fuck You 1

Haven’t posted on this thread, but have been lurking along the way. Thanks for the entertainment to all you surly stros fans. 2020 sucks, but you guys and the Astros provided some relief along the way. 
good luck to the Rays and congrats to CFM for that performance. 

17 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Wish we didn’t have Verlander’s $33 million salary as a dead weight next year with him on the shelf. Wonder what we can do financially to shore up the starting pitching with our financial constraints

Maybe we can work a trade with the Yankees to get Cole back.  They're kind of stupid so worth a shot.

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Yeah, I don't pay attention to any of that.

You should just put me on ignore because I am going to be pessimistic the entire offseason.

It's going to be even more insufferable than usual, so strap in. Lots of bitching. Lots of complaining. I might even bring some CR into the mix. It'll be fun!

That will be fan-fucking-tastic.  Looking forward to it.  I'm going to go with Indian Premier League cricket analogies as my go to.  Talk about a blast to watch, every match is pretty much fixed by the bookies but I can't turn away.  Great stuff.

Helluva series. Just incredible how the pitching on both sides was able to wiggle out of trouble so many times.

They outscore us by a total of 3 in a series where no game was won by more than 3.

LOB:

Astros 56

Rays 46

RISP:

Astros 11 for 46, .239 (4 for 24, .167 in first 3 games)

Rays 6 for 37, .162 (1 for 16, .063 in final four games) 

In the end, just fucked up too many little things too many times. Altuve errors the first 3 games, hitting a guy before a bomb the last game, etc)

7 minutes ago, Scraps said:
40 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

How so?

Just have no faith in him. I have a feeling he is in over his head. Hope he proves me wrong. Signing Springer somehow would help

I’ve heard (and posted) as much via a connection with the Rays.

I too hope it’s wrong but even it is/was true, he grows out of it 

• Like 1

I don’t see how it’s going to happen, but they gotta find a way to bring back Springer.

can you imagine that locker room without him?

I love correa now for what he’s shown on the field this 2020 and his press sound bites off, but not sure how I feel about him and, what, LMJ being the leaders in the clubhouse? I guess I can get on board with Bregs rounding out the trio but would feel so much better having Springer around a few more years

• Hook 'Em 1

it stings to think of a projected playoff lineup with Yordan in it and see how fearsome that would be for opposing pitching. his injury after one game played or whatever it was had to be the most demoralizing event of the season, just as bad if not worse than JV.

Edited by Gourmand
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:
1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:
How do we define the line between either LA or ATL pounding the Rays and the Rays shutting them down?

Winning the series. Rays arent beating the NL team

Winning a series is not "pounding the Rays" just like winning the series is not shutting down either LAD or ATL.  Put some measurable numbers up front and I'll evaluate whether I want to make a wager or not.

2 minutes ago, cochamps said:

No specific player transactions?

I don't have the LAD transaction list memorized or anything, but I remember in 2017 they had a payroll over $300MM and a starting lineup that included five or six guys making less than $1MM.  That tells me there had to be some transaction fuck ups somewhere along the way.  And the fact they haven't won fuck all in 30+ years counts for a lot as well.

• Like 1

I'm not nearly as upset about this loss as I was about last year or 2018. What this team overcame to even get to tonight was remarkable. I am excited about the young pitchers who stepped up this season, and Tucker turning a corner this season was huge. If we can resign Springer or Brantley, I think we're setup to make a run next season too. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

I'm not nearly as upset about this loss as I was about last year or 2018. What this team overcame to even get to tonight was remarkable. I am excited about the young pitchers who stepped up this season, and Tucker turning a corner this season was huge. If we can resign Springer or Brantley, I think we're setup to make a run next season too. 

I wasn't even all that upset about 2018 because the Red Sox that year were probably one of the best teams in baseball history.  We weren't that far away from beating them and it was a foregone conclusion that whoever won the ALCS that year was going to win the WS.

Just now, Fudge Nuggets said:

I wasn't even all that upset about 2018 because the Red Sox that year were probably one of the best teams in baseball history.  We weren't that far away from beating them and it was a foregone conclusion that whoever won the ALCS that year was going to win the WS.

The Bradley ball that rolled along the wall, Joe West, and that fucking Benintendi catch made that a tough one to take for me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

The Bradley ball that rolled along the wall, Joe West, and that fucking Benintendi catch made that a tough one to take for me. 

It was tough to take, but going into the series I always knew it was going to be tough to beat those fuckers.  Like I said, they were one of the best teams in baseball history and we were just a few breaks away from beating them so I wasn't upset.  Last year's World Series where we couldn't win one fucking home game out of four with Verlander (2x), Cole and Greinke starting was upsetting.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Felt like we outplayed them in like 5 of the 7 games but yeah- I know what you mean. That’s a damn good pitching staff they’ve got over there. Their offense has been just enough. That defense is on point. 

Combine clutch hitting with great defense and even just average pitching and you are going to win.  Add great pitching to the mix and it makes it even easier.

People seem to forget that in the 2017 World Series run the biggest difference between regular season and postseason was an incredible improvement in defense.  The throws to the plate to gun down runners were unbelievable.  Seems like we nailed everybody except one time against the Dodgers where Reddick's throw was a bit off line.