2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

That was a hell of a run. It always sucks when it ends but I doesn’t free like the WS last year.

Sign Springer, get insurance to pay for Verlander, especially if he plans to retire.

Sign Stroman or Gausman.

That’s probably more money than he plans to spend but that would put them right back at the top of the AL with these young pitchers showing the improvement they have this year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

For the Yankees, Jacoby Ellsbury, Kevin Youkilis, AJ Burnett are the easy ones.

Stanton too, imo.  Burnett actually helped them win one, so I’m not as critical of that one.

LAD not so obvious to me.  Maybe letting Greinke walk cause of other overpays?

50 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Stanton too, imo.  Burnett actually helped them win one, so I’m not as critical of that one.

LAD not so obvious to me.  Maybe letting Greinke walk cause of other overpays?

The Crawford, Beckett, Adrian Gonzales trade was a terrible move for the Dodgers. 

6 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

It’s going to be rough seeing George in a different uni. 

He is my favorite Astro and yes, it's going to suck. 

If it's not H-town, then go National League, please.  Somewhere like the Rockies, so I could still go see him play and Springer Dingers would fly forever...

Edited by slorch

9 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

The Bradley ball that rolled along the wall, Joe West, and that fucking Benintendi catch made that a tough one to take for me. 

Get outta my head.  I feel the same about this year and 2018.  Yeah, the Red Sox were good, but game 4 was stolen and changed the series.  This year the ALCS came down to a lot of good fortune for the Rays.  I’m still amazed by how many hard hit balls found their way into the Rays gloves in games 1-3.  The Astros were never out of any game and brought at least the tying run to the plate in the final at bat in each loss.  Can’t be mad at that.  Just gotta smile, shake your head, and tip your cap.   

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It will be the hardest thing I can remember as a Houston sports fan. I can't think of anything else that comes close except maybe Nolan as a Ranger.

Well, there was the "Tennessee Oilers," but I'm with you - wish Springer would remain in Houston but it seems very unlikely. Will always root for the guy, though. 

In our last two series losses, we had three game winning streaks within the series.  I wonder if that's ever happen in back to back years before.  It's pretty damn rare - off the top of my head there was the 2017 series versus the Yankees where we came out on the good side and the Twins world series win in either 87 or 91 or maybe both?  Anyway, it's hard to swallow the fact that you can win 3 in a row but can't manage to eke out another win.

10 minutes ago, WBT said:

In our last two series losses, we had three game winning streaks within the series.  I wonder if that's ever happen in back to back years before.  It's pretty damn rare - off the top of my head there was the 2017 series versus the Yankees where we came out on the good side and the Twins world series win in either 87 or 91 or maybe both?  Anyway, it's hard to swallow the fact that you can win 3 in a row but can't manage to eke out another win.

Correct, and that's why the mistakes made in those first two losses proved determinative in the ultimate outcome of the series. I feel like the Astros hitting and pitching outperformed the Rays in the series but the lopsided defensive differential won TB the AL championship trophy. 

I'm optimistic we re-sign one of Brantley/Springer. More likely Brantley because he won't command the years on a contract that Springer will on the open market. The Astros can't go into next season with an OF of Tucker/Straw/McCormick. That would be terrible. 

Edited by Gourmand

34 minutes ago, htown85 said:

It’s going to be hard to attract/retain FA’s for awhile.  It will take a lot of money to offset the idea of going to play for one of the most hated teams in sports history.

That’s pussy talk man. In the end money and the best opportunity to win is what matters in landing players. Not what the Twitter mob thinks.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

That’s pussy talk man. In the end money and the best opportunity to win is what matters in landing players. Not what the Twitter mob thinks.

I think we will go after guys for their market price but can’t see Crane/Click offering guys 150% of what other teams will offer.  

56 minutes ago, htown85 said:

It’s going to be hard to attract/retain FA’s for awhile.  It will take a lot of money to offset the idea of going to play for one of the most hated teams in sports history.

Cmon man. That's silly. Every player in baseball knows about sign stealing and how often and close many teams and players skirt the line between gamesmanship and cheating. I think more players look at Mike Fiers with disdain than they do the Astros.

Cmon man. That's silly. Every player in baseball knows about sign stealing and how often and close many teams and players skirt the line between gamesmanship and cheating. I think more players look at Mike Fiers with disdain than they do the Astros.

That’s true but unfortunately most opposing fans don’t understand that. Or just ignore it if they are Yankees,red sox etc

10 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

I had never heard of him until the playoffs and this anecdote from Correa reminds me how disappointing it was to lose the MiLB season to a global pandemic. I had a mini season ticket package for the Express this year and would have liked to use the opportunity to familiarize myself with other organizational talent as well as the Astros. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Perhaps, but it contains a modicum of truth. 

No it doesn't. I understand how casual fans can be deluded into thinking it but it's really just an offshoot of a groupthink narrative by media and blue checkmarks on Twitter for likes and retweets. Free agent players aren't motivated by what fans think on Twitter.

2 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

No it doesn't. I understand how casual fans can be deluded into thinking it but it's really just an offshoot of a groupthink narrative by media and blue checkmarks on Twitter for likes and retweets. Free agent players aren't motivated by what fans think on Twitter.

So you're saying Trevor Bauer would sign with the Astros if the price is right?

20 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Maybe not that pussy but there are plenty of players that are looking to be on a contender and just saw what this team did in the post season. 

Crane caused most of this by caving. Players still want to play on the Patriots. He should have told Manfred to eat a dick.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

He would consider all offers.  But fuck him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2911934-trevor-bauer-will-consider-all-contract-offers-including-astros-as-free-agent.amp.html

1 hour ago, Limp Brisket said:

Well that hypocritical ass hat.

Having said that, I'd take him.

Edited by David Dennison

12 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Ohhhh shit Luhnow is going scorched earth on MLB, Yankees, and Red Sox. I can't wait. 

Interesting. Jeff going scorched earth is one way of handling this, of course, his reputation is completely trashed, so might as well take down some other teams that were obviously doing the same things the Astros were.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Interesting. Jeff going scorched earth is one way of handling this, of course, his reputation is completely trashed, so might as well take down some other teams that were obviously doing the same things the Astros were.

The Astros' punishment had to do with protecting brand name teams and MLB. Everyone with a brain knows the league is filthy with sign stealing using technology. The Astros were the scapegoat. It worked.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Gourmand said:

I had never heard of him until the playoffs and this anecdote from Correa reminds me how disappointing it was to lose the MiLB season to a global pandemic. I had a mini season ticket package for the Express this year and would have liked to use the opportunity to familiarize myself with other organizational talent as well as the Astros. 

But we got bull riding coming to Dell Diamond in a few weeks!

...but yeah, not seeing any games at round rock this year sucked