2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

I'm sure it has been a long time since we gave up 9+ runs in an inning
Yeah that's the worst inning that I can remember in a long time. Reminiscent of that blown game in Pittsburgh back when Billy Wagner was pitching for us and the Pirates scored like seven or eight runs with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. Y'all remember that one?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Yeah that's the worst inning that I can remember in a long time. Reminiscent of that blown game in Pittsburgh back when Billy Wagner was pitching for us and the Pirates scored like seven or eight runs with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. Y'all remember that one?

Yep. Brian Giles walked it off maybe?

EDIT - here it is:

Edited by WBT

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Fuck you

Yep. Brian Giles walked it off maybe?
That's right! I had a big three or four team parlay bet that night that I thought had paid off because we were the last team on that one and I was at Joy Men's Club after work drinking and got really really pissed off when I saw the ending.

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

Oh that’s right!

that’s what I remember about watching that...

thinking “fuck. These guys aren’t going to want to come back out and play another 9.”

I thought I remembered it being a DH and just looked it up.  Baseball-reference is one of the best thing about the interwebs.  Tony McKnight got the win in Game 2.

Yall talking about DHs....obviously being in Houston you don't get to see many of those, but I went to one at the Dome in 98 against the Mets.

Thinking back on it now I wonder why we played a double header at the Dome for this...

Looking it up from what I can tell we had a series in NY in april and one game was rained out....we went to montreal after....then were coming home to play the mets again. Instead of coming home they gave one of the home games to the mets so we flew back there for one game then to Hou to play 2 more to finish the series.

Then in Sept we played 4 games in Hou with one of those days being a doubleheader to make up for the april stuff.

Sept 15, 1998 was a scheduled DH if you can believe that.

all sorts of craziness with the schedule back then. That April trip to Montreal/NY you’re talking about started with an exhibition game against the Zephyrs in New Orleans (3 weeks into the MLB season...Was ‘98 their inaugural season?)

then come home for 2 against the Mets. Then go back to the east coast and play the Phillies.

0C456B17-914C-4997-839B-CAA70A31B875.jpeg

• Like 1

Other than the Correa outlier, you take off the names of these two pictures and I’m taking the putrid late 60s Astros offense over the defending AL champs :

AC334941-015D-4F1D-A7F4-8C43881B5AC8.jpeg

ABDB6A88-D5F2-41C9-B75D-CF49B6EF916A.jpeg

(and yes, every SP of the ‘67 Astros had a better season batting average than our current DH)

Edited by UTexasFight

17 minutes ago, Honeysucklerose said:

Ain’t that the truth. Something is up for sure

Altuve entered tonight's game with a .167 BABIP. Then he went 0-3 on balls in play tonight. His career BABIP is .336. 

Per Baseball Savant, his xwOBA is only slightly better than his actual wOBA. He's pulling the ball more and making weaker contact than normal. His GB% is up, line drives down. 

He's striking out too much, but his K% has been climbing for 3 years now (and he has hit for more power in that time, so its a reasonable trade-off). 

It's too small a sample to make any determinations about anything. Unless he's completely collapsed as a hitter, his contact quality will tick up and he won't carry a .167 BABIP. 

• Like 1

knew this was coming when I saw them fuck with the roof:

“Opening the roof in the fourth is ass,” McCullers said. “It’s not an excuse. It just is what it is. Balls were being hit  that were routine pop-ups and they were landing off walls. It was kind of just an unfortunate inning. But, like I said, the stuff was there. I felt really good. I just have to keep moving forward with that.”