Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

6 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I have a problem with Virtue Signalling. 

There is a reason golf and the UFC are killing it in the ratings and basketball ratings are down 40% despite playoff implications.  People have stated again and again how inundated politics is in every facet of their lives.  How sports used to be/is a bastion of relief and escape from it all.  

They see the hypocrisy with these athletes virtue signalling on selective topics and avoiding others all together....cough....China.....cough....human rights.....cough....

Many contracts have revenue ties.  Ratings start to drop, these virtuous athletes are going to be faced with a decision.  The Lebron's have outside money, but the middle-men don't.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I'd rather people do things than talk about things. We live in a world where Tweeting something is considered noble. Fuck that noise. Do something or STFU with your Virtue Signalling. 

Gee...maybe do both.  Actually take action, and call attention to it.

The reason that so many people hate "virtue signalling" (and man, do they LOVE being able to use that phrase) is that it puts uncomfortable truths right in front of them.....and that's uncomfortable.  

The people I know who rant the loudest against virtue signalling are NOT the people who are genuinely dedicated to improving broken systems; they're the same old crowd that insists that there's not really any problems at all, COVID is a hoax, what about all the black murders in Chicago, etc.  That's not a coincidence.  If mere "virtue signalling, but not action" was the problem, then the people who actually care most about social justice would be its loudest critics.  Yet, they're not -- it's the same crowd that has "blue lives matter" stickers on their cars who bitch about it.  

We're not stupid.  You may think we are, but we see right through you.

Edited by Brisketexan

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

The reason that so many people hate "virtue signalling" (and man, do they LOVE being able to use that phrase) is that it puts uncomfortable truths right in front of them.....and that's uncomfortable.  

Is it possible for you to try and make a point absent sweeping generalizations stated as fact?  People are tired of virtue signaling because they see it time and time again for what it is.  Just that - all talk and no action.  Selective outrage and turning a blind eye to so many other items that have been around for years.  People sticking their finger in the air and reading the tea leaves on what to be outraged against when issues like this have been around for generations.  There's nothing "uncomfortable" about that in the least.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Nope. I'm just fine with helping where I'm planted. I can't change the world, but I can help my neighbor. I just laugh at these Twitter goons who believe they are the "heart and soul" of the nation tweeting from a device built in a country that enslaves their labor and commits genocide. The day the NBA tells China to fuck off, I'll start listening. The day everyone on Twitter stops using an Iphone, I'll start listening. But until then, fuck those hypocrites. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Is it possible for you to try and make a point absent sweeping generalizations stated as fact?  People are tired of virtue signaling because they see it time and time again for what it is.  Just that - all talk and no action.  Selective outrage and turning a blind eye to so many other items that have been around for years.  People sticking their finger in the air and reading the tea leaves on what to be outraged against when issues like this have been around for generations.  There's nothing "uncomfortable" about that in the least.   

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

Nope. I'm just fine with helping where I'm planted. I can't change the world, but I can help my neighbor. I just laugh at these Twitter goons who believe they are the "heart and soul" of the nation tweeting from a device built in a country that enslaves their labor and commits genocide. The day the NBA tells China to fuck off, I'll start listening. The day everyone on Twitter stops using an Iphone, I'll start listening. But until then, fuck those hypocrites. 

Sure, sure.

It's just coincidence that I can go pull up, say, my FB feed, and the overlap between the anti- "virtue signalling" crowd, making your exact same arguments, and the "back the blue" crowd who are rah-rah with their American flags, who post "what about Chicago?" every time there's a beating or murder by cops, etc.....is pretty close to 100%.  Those aren't folks who are upset that people are talking about broken systems, but not actually fixing them.  They're upset because they LIKE our broken systems.

Y'all are no different.  Your posting history, reflecting strident defense of police and demonization of victims, betrays you.  

That's what gets me -- the disingenuous think they're being clever, and fooling people.  You're not.  We see right through you.  The reason you hate having your attention called to broken social systems is because you don't want to have to acknowledge it or deal with it.  Things work fine for you, so fuck everyone else - they're just a bunch of pussy whiners.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

No shit.  My wife is on a FB thread with a multitude of women in the neighborhood of all political affiliations.  A black woman took umbrage with something she said.  So instead of going back and forth, wife asked her to lunch.  They had a cordial, polite, and IN PERSON conversation about differing ideas.  Neither proselytized or tried to convert the other.  They just talked and both came away all the better for it.  This is not meant to laud her, but just a single example of actions over words.  Which we need more of.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Sure, sure.

It's just coincidence that I can go pull up, say, my FB feed, and the overlap between the anti- "virtue signalling" crowd, making your exact same arguments, and the "back the blue" crowd who are rah-rah with their American flags, who post "what about Chicago?" every time there's a beating or murder by cops, etc.....is pretty close to 100%.  Those aren't folks who are upset that people are talking about broken systems, but not actually fixing them.  They're upset because they LIKE our broken systems.

Y'all are no different.  Your posting history, reflecting strident defense of police and demonization of victims, betrays you.  

That's what gets me -- the disingenuous think they're being clever, and fooling people.  You're not.  We see right through you.  The reason you hate having your attention called to broken social systems is because you don't want to have to acknowledge it or deal with it.  Things work fine for you, so fuck everyone else - they're just a bunch of pussy whiners.

And there's the straw man.....you can set your clock to it.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I haven't circled around and done a deep dive into whatever was going on there, but I think that was something the players wanted to do (rather than the NFL going hard on their post Kaepernick 180). I'm of course more of a fan of doing things than making statements, but they are both important and the "lack of virtue" signaling is the thing that I noticed most about that.

28 minutes ago, Lobo said:

They had already been on the field for some time.  Millions of Americans are an embarrassment to our nation, it's okay to say it.  

Just watched fuller video, wow yeah they were... I was watching hockey flipping back and forth waiting for a football game to break out... and missed it.

Definite boo's

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

And there's the straw man.....you can set your clock to it.  

Yes.  And there's the "I'm all for black lives matter and police reform....but goshdarnit, Chicago, and all the people who are beaten and killed are really bad guys who have it coming, and I'd REALLY like to support police reform, but rioters mean I can't, and I'd REALLY like real reform, but too much virtue signalling."

Again, the people who bitch loudest about "virtue signalling because it's not real change" are the people who argue the hardest against there even being a problem at all.  If you want to refer to things you can "set your clock to," that would do it.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Please point out where I've defended ANYONE who has broken the law. I'm not "Pro-Cop" anymore than I'm "Pro-Janitor". It's a job. You chose it. You deal with the consequences when you fuck up. I demonize morons who make shitty decisions and then cry when those decisions have consequences.

Honestly, Brisket. You and I probably would agree on 99% of things but you seem so hell bent on painting everyone with a broad brush that you can't see it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Just watched fuller video, wow yeah they were... I was watching hockey flipping back and forth waiting for a football game to break out... and missed it.

Definite boo's

[baba yaga etc.] Yes, but remember - those folks weren't booing because the players were making a statement.  They were booing because the players were making a statement, but they weren't proving that they were out there working to bring REAL change.  See, the people booing were ACTUALLY booing because the players aren't doing MORE to reform broken policing and social structures. [/baba yaga etc]

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Please point out where I've defended ANYONE who has broken the law. I'm not "Pro-Cop" anymore than I'm "Pro-Janitor". It's a job. You chose it. You deal with the consequences when you fuck up. I demonize morons who make shitty decisions and then cry when those decisions have consequences.

Honestly, Brisket. You and I probably would agree on 99% of things but you seem so hell bent on painting everyone with a broad brush that you can't see it.

Read my post above.  You'd have been booing with the crowd, and they sure as shit weren't booing for the reason I posted.   And you damned well know it.

And as a matter of social contract and law, there are a variety of shitty decisions that do not have as the penalty "execution on the street."  Fucking proportion matters.  I've made lots of shitty decisions in my life -- I chose not to empty the dishwasher the other night, annoying my wife.  But I didn't deserve to die for it.  Proportion matters.

Edited by Brisketexan

[baba yaga etc.] Yes, but remember - those folks weren't booing because the players were making a statement.  They were booing because the players were making a statement, but they weren't proving that they were out there working to bring REAL change.  See, the people booing were ACTUALLY booing because the players aren't doing MORE to reform broken policing and social structures. [/baba yaga etc]

Oh look, another straw man.  That's weird?

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't think anybody on here is pearl-clutching.  Maybe elsewhere in America, but I don't get that vibe here.  

What I do get is a sense that while some may think players should shut up and play, I think fans should shut up and sit and be fat. 

You want me to give you the reason why 10k people are doing something? There are probably 10k different reasons.

No there fucking weren't.  Come on.  You're not being particularly clever here.

When the Sooners come out of the tunnel, all the longhorn fans boo.  There aren't 45,000 reasons.  There's one - OU sucks.  A large group of fans booed, at once, when the players did their thing.  Effectively all of them had the same reason, and you know it.

1 minute ago, Newdoc said:

Some of y’all need to be like Baba’s wife and go to lunch. We aren’t  getting anywhere in the last page of this thread.

Sure we are.  We're dispelling the illusion and lie that people who claim some high ground against "virtue signalling," because it's not actually out there fixing broken systems, aren't upset with that at all -- they're actually upset with the underlying issues even being an issue.  "Shut up and dribble."  They want things to keep on keeping on, without ever being confronted with any uncomfortable truths about our broken system.

Their position is a lie.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BabaYaga said:

I do love how easy it is to pull Brisket off-sides.  Get back on your meds.  

Says the man who is SO upset by "virtue signalling" because it doesn't solve things.....and then spends pages defending cops and trying to convince people that the real problem is all those black people hanging out with suspected criminals.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Says the man who is SO upset by "virtue signalling" because it doesn't solve things.....and then spends pages defending cops and trying to convince people that the real problem is all those black people hanging out with suspected criminals.

giphy-downsized.gif

The "no I"m not....YOU are defense".  Strong.  Very very strong...

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BabaYaga said:

China says hi.  

YES. THAT'S why the crowd was booing, because not enough attention is being paid to China!

Why do 45,000 Texas fans boo when the Sooners come out of the tunnel?

Why did 10,000 fans boo when the players stood in unity yesterday?

Crowds act as a crowd.  That you are running like a scalded dog from that truth tells us everything we need to know about your position.

I think Brisket is upset because he's realizing that Twitter Likes and Surly Upvotes don't mean shit. Virtue Currency is worthless and doesn't feed a single person. 

Yes.  That's why the "I hate virtue signalling" crowd is upset.  Because the social justice crowd isn't doing ENOUGH to fix broken systems.  That is DEFINITELY it.

How many folks around her do you think buy that bullshit?  Anyone but you and baba?

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

What a full of shit post. Everybody is a hypocrite if you look hard enough.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Yes.  That's why the "I hate virtue signalling" crowd is upset.  Because the social justice crowd isn't doing ENOUGH to fix broken systems.  That is DEFINITELY it.

How many folks around her do you think buy that bullshit?  Anyone but you and baba?

Is the "her" in this story South Austin's mom?

I think Brisket is upset because he's realizing that Twitter Likes and Surly Upvotes don't mean shit. Virtue Currency is worthless and doesn't feed a single person. 

c'mon man!  you gonna take a virtue currency test.  VC feeds the soul but righteous indignation can feed millions.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

well yeah but that's China, its different.  kind of like when you go to the southern hemisphere and the toilet water drains counter clockwise.

China effectively owns the NBA.  Contributing north of a billion a year.  They say shut up and dribble.  They do.  They say ZERO mentions of Hong Kong or other human rights violations.  The NBA obliges.  You want to get an NBA jersey with "all cops are fucking pigs" embroidered on the back.  You can.  You want one with "save HK"......mysteriously you can't....

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

China effectively owns the NBA.  Contributing north of a billion a year.  They say shut up and dribble.  They do.  They say ZERO mentions of Hong Kong or other human rights violations.  The NBA obliges.  You want to get an NBA jersey with "all cops are fucking pigs" embroidered on the back.  You can.  You want one with "save HK"......mysteriously you can't....

the man with the most gold makes the rules and ironically he's normally not following the golden rule.

• Hook 'Em 1