Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

14 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Go back to see who introduced the Tweet and why.

It's definitely provocative and inappropriate and unprofessional, but the entire purpose of bringing it into this thread was workswithseed portraying the LGBT community as full of pedophiles and you're marching right alongside.

It also has nothing to do with the topic of the thread, just some anti-LGBT bullshit.

If you read it, you can see I'm say that there's a reason people believe that.

6 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

If you read it, you can see I'm say that there's a reason dumb people to believe that.

Btw, how in the cornbread fuck did you find that tweet from 3 weeks ago? Also, nice job derailing the thread away from discussion over the violent protests in Oregon. Since you live there, I would've guessed you'd be keen to engage in a conversation over what happened there today.

6 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Btw, how in the cornbread fuck did you find that tweet from 3 weeks ago? Also, nice job derailing the thread away from discussion over the violent protests in Oregon. Since you live there, I would've guessed you'd be keen to engage in a conversation over what happened there today.

Some people find them, and log the weirder ones. I would think most inside from the smoke today from fires put in NE Oregon would keep people inside.

25 minutes ago, bolverk said:

spacer.png

Makes the sun pretty though.

26 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Many on this board enjoy making fun of rural folk and our backward ways.  Fair point, but I don't have a counterinsurgency happening in my front yard.  I'll take that trade every time.

Did you miss the story from a couple of days ago about the arrest of Proud Boys trying to sell arms to Hamas in order to violently overthrow the government? Among the violent protesters today were Proud Boys.

44 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Many on this board enjoy making fun of rural folk and our backward ways.  Fair point, but I don't have a counterinsurgency happening in my front yard.  I'll take that trade every time.

Makes me thankful everyday for being able to live out on a small ranch. There's no way I would ever choose to live in some urban jungle. 

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

It’s two different cities and police departments. 

Police use tear gas to disperse protesters in downtown Salem; state of emergency declared, curfew instituted

Salem police chief declines requests to address handling of curfew, use of tear gas in protests

Oregon police told armed white men that they didn't want to look like they were 'playing favorites' when they advised them to stay inside after curfew

A police officer in Salem, Oregon, told armed white men that meant to protect businesses during police brutality protests to "discreetly" stay inside before they began arresting protesters who remained in the streets after the city's 11 pm curfew. 

"My command wanted me to come talk to you guys and request that you discreetly remain inside the buildings or in your vehicles, somewhere where it's not a violation," said a police officer who has not been publicly identified. "So we don't look like we're playing favorites." 

Monday night's incident was caught on camera by Joe Smothers, a Salem man who has been documenting the local events on his Facebook page, as protests sparked by the killing of George Floyd, a Black man who died after being pinned down by Minneapolis police, continue worldwide. 

Salem's chief of police apologized to his community for the incident in a video message on Wednesday. "The message we have received is a concern that we are treating people differently. For that I tell you, I'm sorry — sorry there is even a thought that this department would treat some different than others," Police Chief Jerry Moore said, adding that he personally knows the officer involved.

Moore said the officer had "not been fully briefed about enforcement of the curfew" before he gave the heads-up to the armed men. "The impact the interactions captured on the video had on our commnity has been discussed with the officer," he said. "Moving forward, all officers tasked with enforcement of the curfew will be properly educated before deployment." 

A tweet sharing footage of the incident had alleged the officer's warning came ahead of the use of tear gas. Salem Lt. Debra Aguilar, the police department's media contact, told Insider in an email that no gas was used in Salem that night, adding, "The comments that the specific citizens were warned by police to hide prior to police using gas is not factual." 

Smothers indicated, however, that he saw "small clouds of it and flash bangs."

Smothers, who posted the original video on his Facebook page, told Insider that the men speaking with police were not affiliated with the Proud Boys organization, though a TikTok video spreading the footage online had identified them as such.

Smothers did say, though, that he believed members of the Proud Boys — a self-described group of "western chauvinists" that often includes white supremacists, and has been labeled "extremist" by the FBI — were present at the protest on the same night. Members of the far-right militia group the Boogaloo Bois were also photographed in Salem.

The white men, who were armed with rifles, pistols, and shotguns, according to Smothers, were friends and relatives of local business owners who were there after rumors of antifa coming to town had spread. To protect against antifa, "spotters" had also been sitting at the top of parking garages. As of Friday afternoon, there have been no news reports of looting in Salem during the protests, though looting has occurred in nearby Portland. 

Fears of antifa have continued to circulate on right-wing social media throughout the police brutality protests across the US. Police departments around the country have reported receiving tips based on social media misinformation "claiming antifa is sending buses or even planes full of antifa activists to their area," The Associated Press reported. 

President Donald Trump has blamed the violence and looting that has accompanied some peaceful protests in major US cities on antifa, which is actually a "loose collection of groups, networks and individuals who believe in active, aggressive opposition to far right-wing movements," according to the Anti-Defamation League. 

Far-right organizations like the Proud Boys, as well as the Boogaloo Bois, have continued to show up at protests around the country. In Las Vegas, three Boogaloo Bois were arrested after police say they were caught making Molotov cocktails.

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Power is out here now in N Portland

Sorry to hear that man. I hope you and yours don't suffer from asthma or any other breathing problems since the air doesn't seem like it's very safe. I'd say open up the windows but that'd be bad idea jeans right now. Maybe you and the GF can light some candles and get a little freaky tonight, but be careful: wax can get hot.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Parliament said:

Many on this board enjoy making fun of rural folk and our backward ways.

Does this happen? Who was talking about the rural folk?

I guess you've got to invent being oppressed if it ain't actually happening, huh?

Also, 99.99999% of city-dwellers aren't dealing with any level of "counter-insurgency", either.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Does this happen? Who was talking about the rural folk?

I guess you've got to invent being oppressed if it ain't actually happening, huh?

Also, 99.99999% of city-dwellers aren't dealing with any level of "counter-insurgency", either.

Jesus, rednecks are among the last groups that people still feel perfectly free to disparage. You're willful ignorance or just outright lies to bolster your wishful thinking grows very weary.

99.999999%. huh, that's just a lie, a plain old lie. My neighborhood/district makes up more than .00000000001% of our city, and it's been dealing with this shit since June, along with the rest of the city.  It not only affects the people just in the direct vicinity, but also the people who won't go to those areas now.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

Jesus, rednecks are among the last groups that people still feel perfectly free to disparage. You're willful ignorance or just outright lies to bolster your wishful thinking grows very weary.
99.999999%. huh, that's just a lie, a plain old lie. My neighborhood/district makes up more than .00000000001% of our city, and it's been dealing with this shit since June, along with the rest of the city.  It not own;ly affects the people just in the direct vicinity, but also the people who won't go to those areas now.

Deplorables.
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Or you guys are just too stupid to get that the entire point of his Tweet is that it would be intrusive and wrong for him to see their kids at bath-time.

I got it. I think she should be fired. It was a weird non sequitur that would make me suspicious of her teaching and much more interested in viewing her classroom activities.

14 hours ago, workswithseed said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Why would they ever get that idea?

so @washparkhorn, you still this this guy is just an "aww shucks" simpleton who is interested in anything productive? 

give me a fucking break.

we just had an entire page get hijacked and derailed off of speakers advocating for outright murder of people based on their political affiliation and an equating of a minority group with pedophiles by someone pointing to some random tweet by an obvious satire account...in which we had seemingly intelligent people debating the implied mental sickness of the person writing the tweet while the fact that we have a sect of active political participants advocating for murder and equating homosexuals to pedophiles goes largely ignored.

all while said simpleton actually posts the satire tweet as bolstering evidence for the notion that homosexuals are, in fact, akin to pedophiles.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Rural = redneck? What are you talking about? You're on a forum where a ton of guys either live rural or own land and guns. And among those that live in the city and don't have land/guns, it's an open goal to have land in the future.

I know that Internet demons from places you've never been haunt the dark corners of your mind, but he said "many folks here" and I don't recall that at all.

Are idiots from the suburbs with lifted trucks and sinking boats mocked? Absolutely, but that's not "rural". If you've got a Jeep fitted out with mock 50 cals and an American flag bigger than your neighbor's car parked in the driveway of your development McMansion you're not "rural", you're just doing some kind of bizarre cultural self-appropriation.

Suburban morons out here stealing rural valor.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, sidis said:

so @washparkhorn, you still this this guy is just an "aww shucks" simpleton who is interested in anything productive? 

give me a fucking break.

we just had an entire page get hijacked and derailed off of speakers advocating for outright murder of people based on their political affiliation and an equating of a minority group with pedophiles by someone pointing to some random tweet by an obvious satire account...in which we had seemingly intelligent people debating the implied mental sickness of the person writing the tweet while the fact that we have a sect of active political participants advocating for murder and equating homosexuals to pedophiles goes largely ignored.

all while said simpleton actually posts the satire tweet as bolstering evidence for the notion that homosexuals are, in fact, akin to pedophiles.

Sure, I mean who doesn't use pedophilia jokes for humor and satire...

46 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Rural = redneck? What are you talking about? You're on a forum where a ton of guys either live rural or own land and guns. And among those that live in the city and don't have land/guns, it's an open goal to have land in the future.

I know that Internet demons from places you've never been haunt the dark corners of your mind, but he said "many folks here" and I don't recall that at all.

Are idiots from the suburbs with lifted trucks and sinking boats mocked? Absolutely, but that's not "rural". If you've got a Jeep fitted out with mock 50 cals and an American flag bigger than your neighbor's car parked in the driveway of your development McMansion you're not "rural", you're just doing some kind of bizarre cultural self-appropriation.

Suburban morons out here stealing rural valor.

Stop it, please stop it. You try to twist, and turn every phrase or definition that doesn't meet your needs. You are fast becoming the most dishonest poster on this topic.  You're an ideologue, and anything that doesn't fit your view is ignored, twisted or attacked.

Rural doesn' strictly mean redneck, but it's for damn sure what many in the general population thinks of as rural, so stop with the word games.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 5

Have you ever lived in an actual rural area? Where you had to drive 30 minutes to get to a grocery store in a town of 7k, which to you as a kid was the big city because they had multiple police cars with city markings and a big high school?

Maybe you have, I don't know, but what I DO know is that I see/hear a ton of grew-up-suburban guys who live within walking distance of a strip mall with a GNC talking like they are simple men of the land and soil who get a zero-turn for their 7500sqft plot. It's a costume for them to virtue signal to each other. Maybe not for you, I don't know.

And you're right, "redneck" and "rural" are not synonyms, so don't try to use them like they are.

Simple question: Have people here been making fun of rural folk? If so, I'll be the first in line to fight them.

People don't really go RURAL to get away from the cities and their violence; flight is the entire reason suburbs exist.

20 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Stop it, please stop it. You try to twist, and turn every phrase or definition that doesn't meet your needs. You are fast becoming the most dishonest poster on this topic.  You're an ideologue, and a anything that doesn't fit your view is ignored, twisted our attacked.

Rural doesn' strictly mean redneck, but it's for damn sure what many in the general population thinks of as rural, so stop with the word games.

tenor.gif?itemid=15565320

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Stop it, please stop it. You try to twist, and turn every phrase or definition that doesn't meet your needs. You are fast becoming the most dishonest poster on this topic.  You're an ideologue, and anything that doesn't fit your view is ignored, twisted or attacked.

Quit replying to his bullshit.  It's reductionist nonsense designed to obfuscate and blur the issues.  Quit biting the hook.  

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Sure, I mean who doesn't use pedophilia jokes for humor and satire...

sure, i mean who doesn't just get up with a megaphone and scream to a cheering crowd that people of a different political affiliation should be executed and accuse gay people of inherently wanting to fuck 6 year olds as reasonable discourse.

being that you're one of the more acerbic and emotional people on this board who just generally posts a bunch of invective nonsense that most rightfully just ignore, i'm not surprised that you would be a willing participant in attempting to draw such a false equivalence, but it does not actually nullify what it is that our C- grade troll (seriously, how is surly stuck with such low quality trolls) is actually doing.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

*as ANTIFA trashes the Panera Bread my wife and I are picking up lunch from in 2 separate cars from our neighborhood 300 yards away*

"This is why we moved to the country."

The exurb we moved to is a red county and there's quite a lot of this. That "yee yee" sticker on your lifted truck doesn't change the fact that you live four blocks from a Panda Express and a chiropractor's office.

Well, there is such a description of “flyover country” generally meaning the more rural areas of the Midwest and Plains States. The implication being that they are rubes compared to intellectual giants on the coasts and therefor don’t matter in the big picture. I think the people that Brad and BT are identifying as “suburban” people more closely associate themselves with actual rural people than the self described intellectuals in the cities and on the coasts. None the less, there is a big portion of that population that were referred to as “deplorables” during the last election that collectively gave the so called intellectuals a great big “fuck you” in November of 2016.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, sidis said:

give me a fucking break.

I don't see where I equated that all lgbt people are pedos, but you sure are trying to make a narrative though, so I won't stop you falling in the shit that you're typing.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Hate said:

Well, there is such a description of “flyover country” generally meaning the more rural areas of the Midwest and Plains States. The implication being that they are rubes compared to intellectual giants on the coasts and therefor don’t matter in the big picture. I think the people that Brad and BT are identifying as “suburban” people more closely associate themselves with actual rural people than the self described intellectuals in the cities and on the coasts. None the less, there is a big portion of that population that were referred to as “deplorables” during the last election that collectively gave the so called intellectuals a great big “fuck you” in November of 2016.

So you're not talking about what's gong on HERE,  you're referencing some largely-imaginary cultural war that the grifters sell you to keep you angry and clicking on their links?

Awesome. So useful.

And getting very CR in the mix because you're mad about insults you've never actually heard from people you've never been around. Cool.

Edited by bad_teammate

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

I don't see where I equated that all lgbt people are pedos, but you sure are trying to make a narrative though, so I won't stop you falling in the shit that you're typing.

like i have said before, you really are too dumb to insult.

if you had any reading comprehension whatsoever, you would recognize i was referring to the tweet you quoted in which the speaker said "LGBTQ civil rights a “pedophilia agenda.”"  that is equating homosexuals with pedophiles unambiguously.  any objective person can see that.

that said, your response was to point to some random tweet from a satire account implying pedophilia and stating "why would they ever get that idea?" which certainly implies you agree with what the speaker was saying...otherwise, why post that?  perhaps there is a narrative that you are trying to make?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

View the posting history of the person you responded to with this post. It tells the tale. 

do you have something substantive to contribute on the discussion?  do you disagree that it is inappropriate to call for the execution of political opponents and that it is wrong to equate homosexuality to pedophilia?  what about workswithweed's follow-up saying "where would they get that idea?" 

tell us the tale?  perhaps with some constitutional scholarship mixed in with some more insecure victimhood that you absolutely excel at...

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Hate said:

Well yeah. That was one of Hillary's biggest fuckups amongst an ocean of them. But she is an idiot /noCR

20 minutes ago, sidis said:

like i have said before, you really are too dumb to insult.

if you had any reading comprehension whatsoever, you would recognize i was referring to the tweet you quoted in which the speaker said "LGBTQ civil rights a “pedophilia agenda.”"  that is equating homosexuals with pedophiles unambiguously.  any objective person can see that.

that said, your response was to point to some random tweet from a satire account implying pedophilia and stating "why would they ever get that idea?" which certainly implies you agree with what the speaker was saying...otherwise, why post that?  perhaps there is a narrative that you are trying to make?

No, your post was demean me, especially since wash stood up for me when you belittled me. I showed a tweet of why people would think that, not that I agreed with him.

So you're not talking about what's gong on HERE,  you're referencing some largely-imaginary cultural war that the grifters sell you to keep you angry and clicking on their links?
Awesome. So useful.
And getting very CR in the mix because you're mad about insults you've never actually heard from people you've never been around. Cool.

I’m not mad about whatever it is you think I’m mad about. I was trying to give some context for the rural/suburban debate.

11 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

No, your post was demean me, especially since wash stood up for me when you belittled me. I showed a tweet of why people would think that, not that I agreed with him.

lol, jesus fucking christ...putting aside the non-sequitur, this is just pathetic.

2 hours ago, sidis said:

sure, i mean who doesn't just get up with a megaphone and scream to a cheering crowd that people of a different political affiliation should be executed and accuse gay people of inherently wanting to fuck 6 year olds as reasonable discourse.

being that you're one of the more acerbic and emotional people on this board who just generally posts a bunch of invective nonsense that most rightfully just ignore, i'm not surprised that you would be a willing participant in attempting to draw such a false equivalence, but it does not actually nullify what it is that our C- grade troll (seriously, how is surly stuck with such low quality trolls) is actually doing.

Non-antifa folks

Yep.  My son wanted to go to DC for his birthday dinner Friday.  My wife won't eat inside.  We will eat at a restaurant in NOVA because I have no desire to be harassed and ridiculed while trying to celebrate my sons birthday.

yeah I hate getting harassed and ridiculed while I’m eating a meal too.