Champions League 2017-2018

sidis

4 minutes ago, JNip said:

Taking out Salah was flat out stupid, that counter was lethal and Klopp just took that away from his own team. That was a very cocky move from Klopp.... unless he is injured. 

Or the fact that we still have 4th place in the EPL to think about. Let the dude rest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Or the fact that we still have 4th place in the EPL to think about.

That is plenty secure I would think with 8 pts and only four left for Chelsea (one against Liverpool). 

At 5-0, taking Salah off is fine if you can close up shop.  It just seemed odd to bring on Ings for more of a straight swap instead of a back securing sub.  I blame that more on the fact that Windjalum had to come on for Ox so early on though.

Honestly I wouldn't pull CR7 from a 5-0 UCL semifinal game.

I get that you don't want him getting hurt and that they are sorta fighting for 4th in prem but that's just me.

Madrid is clawing to stay in 3rd but I don't think Zizou would pull him from a 5-0 UCL semi where away goals can kill.

I doubt Messi would come out in a situation like that either.

Either way, 5-2 should be enough to go through. In any normal UCL year...

Ronaldo and Messi leave 5-0 games all the time. They leave 3-0 games all the time. They can’t make Lovren not Lovren it up. 

Ronaldo played a full 90 against apoel in UCL which they won 0-6.

In the knockout rounds CR7 has played a full game every game including the thrashing of PSG and Juve.

I'm talking UCL, not league play. I get why the sub happened I'm just saying Messi and CR7 don't come out in UCL knockout rounds.

Messi played a full 180" against Chelsea and in the Roma 4-1 win Messi played a full 90".

I can't even remember a UCL knockout match that CR7 has ever subbed out in the last 4 years.

In La Liga CR7 has been subbed out quite frequently much to his dislike and to some controversy as 3 of those matches Madrid went on to draw or lose.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just a saying I was surprised they subbed him out.

What's even dumb about the discussion is that removing Salah didn't cost them the 2 goals - they were pure defensive breakdowns, stuff that probably happens is Salah is in the game.

Even dumber, if any star player, Salah, Messi, Ronaldo, etc, were significantly injured in such a blowout, the press would crucify the manager for being stupid leaving them in at a meaningless game/time. And the press would be right.

55 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

What's even dumb about the discussion is that removing Salah didn't cost them the 2 goals - they were pure defensive breakdowns, stuff that probably happens is Salah is in the game.

Even dumber, if any star player, Salah, Messi, Ronaldo, etc, were significantly injured in such a blowout, the press would crucify the manager for being stupid leaving them in at a meaningless game/time. And the press would be right.

That's not the point. The counter was there all day and without Salah, they weren't dangerous which allowed Roma to push up numbers. In the last fifteen minutes, Roma looked like a completely different team and it was not a coincidence. 

And no, Ronaldo never came off the field in his 20s. Specially not in a CL game. 

Doesn't matter anyways, Salah is awesome and congrats to Liverpool fans.

Edited by JNip

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

meh. Second goal wasn’t a defensive breakdown, it was a questionable pen

Roma has won as many penalties at Anfield this season as Liverpool. 

ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ! ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ!

Mo was absolutely offside on the 3rd goal, so if questionable penalty is the trade off for a pure gift of no Video Review, then Liverpool should be more than happy.

If Roma scores first it’ll be game in. Liverpool are very fortunate to have 5 goals.

That said, all Liverpool really has to do is score and it’s game over. Y’all are through to the Final. 

Oh yeah, any word on Chambo? He actually tore his ACL when he was at Arsenal on a similar play- you could see it all over his face. Really hoping for him that it’s only a sprain or something mild. I’d feel terrible if he missed the World Cup.

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

If Roma scores first it’ll be game in. Liverpool are very fortunate to have 5 goals.

That said, all Liverpool really has to do is score and it’s game over. Y’all are through to the Final. 

Oh yeah, any word on Chambo? He actually tore his ACL when he was at Arsenal on a similar play- you could see it all over his face. Really hoping for him that it’s only a sprain or something mild. I’d feel terrible if he missed the World Cup.

Wut?

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Salah was offside. That’s all. To me, 4-2 is way different than 5-2. A 2-0 Roma win next game puts them through if it’s only 4-2. But 5-2 should pretty much be a wrap.

If you're talking about the first goal, I don't think he was. He was played on by the CB farthest from him. Stu Holden is full of shit. 

But if we're talking 'ifs', they shouldn't have had a pen. That was never a deliberate handball. And, we probably should've scored more. Mane missed two very easy chances and their keeper made a couple of decent saves. 

12 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I just don’t see Roma shutting them out at home and don’t see them scoring 4+

Guess you haven't been watching these knockout rounds much...  Barca & Madrid felt the same way, LFC buttholes puckered when Man city scored in the first minute.

Roma has shown they can be dangerous, throw in a missed call or questionable call and a 3-0 win is quite possible.

Now throw in Stoke in April...  which I'll laugh if Salah plays anything more than 60 minutes.

20 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Guess you haven't been watching these knockout rounds much...  Barca & Madrid felt the same way, LFC buttholes puckered when Man city scored in the first minute.

Roma has shown they can be dangerous, throw in a missed call or questionable call and a 3-0 win is quite possible.

Now throw in Stoke in April...  which I'll laugh if Salah plays anything more than 60 minutes.

LFC went on to beat City 2-1 when their 'buttholes puckered.'

Watch the first leg of Barca v Roma back again. Roma was all over them for large periods of that match at the Camp Nou. Two of Barca's four goals were own goals and Barca got away with a penalty in that match as well. Barca never looked as dominant against Roma as LFC did. 

I'm not saying Roma can't keep us off the scoreboard. It's sport. Anything can happen. But, LFC has scored 18 away goals in the CL this year. It would be a HUGE surprise if Roma is able to after we've just put 5 past them. 

54 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

I get it. I'm just saying its going to take a least 4 goals for Roma to go through and to make that comeback twice in a row in the CL will be almost impossible. Liverpool will have plenty of chances to counter, as mentioned by someone else before if they hit once I don't see it happening.

13 hours ago, JNip said:

That's not the point. The counter was there all day and without Salah, they weren't dangerous which allowed Roma to push up numbers. In the last fifteen minutes, Roma looked like a completely different team and it was not a coincidence. 

And no, Ronaldo never came off the field in his 20s. Specially not in a CL game. 

Doesn't matter anyways, Salah is awesome and congrats to Liverpool fans.

They still had Mane on the field. The counter was plenty available. They bunkered and that’s why they gave up goals. It had zero to do with the Salah sub 

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

Their buttholes puckered? They won the game 2-1. What are you even talking about?

If you were Liverpool and could dream up a way for a team to set up, what would it be? 

I'm not at Melwood, but I'd guess it would be a situation where a team has to press for goals, allowing them to play for the counter opposed to a team that would be setting up in a shell.