Texas WR/TE Passing Offense Talk

LTtxfan

Texas had a new wrinkle last night where they were putting Worthy outside and Johntay Cook running seam routes in the slot. 

That's going to be dangerous as hell due to the speed both guys have. On the big Johntay Cook reception the safety helped on Worthy which meant 1 v 1 for Cook with a nickel or LB. 

It's a mismatch nightmare and a simple read for Ewers. If the safety doesn't help on Worthy you go there. If the safety does help you just find Cook with the mismatch. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SKA the boss said:

Anyone else notice AD struggle with some blocking last game early on?
I have not rewatched to pinpoint the plays, but at least 3 times on replays during the action, it appears he misses or is reluctant and plays get blown up.

Not just last game. He's a pretty poor blocker and we need to stop calling plays where he is a critical blocker at the point of attack. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Sark was yelling at AD on one of the missed blocks in the Baylor game. 

I don't think it was a missed block as much as a missed assignment to block a particular player. I think it's a mixture of problems with AD in the blocking department but the main issue seems to be he just doesn't know who to block. New scheme at Texas and maybe he wasn't asked to block much at Georgia? 

He just looks hesitant to block as if he's questioning what he should be doing. 

12 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Texas had a new wrinkle last night where they were putting Worthy outside and Johntay Cook running seam routes in the slot. 

That's going to be dangerous as hell due to the speed both guys have. On the big Johntay Cook reception the safety helped on Worthy which meant 1 v 1 for Cook with a nickel or LB. 

It's a mismatch nightmare and a simple read for Ewers. If the safety doesn't help on Worthy you go there. If the safety does help you just find Cook with the mismatch. 

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Sark was yelling at AD on one of the missed blocks in the Baylor game. 

I don't think it was a missed block as much as a missed assignment to block a particular player. I think it's a mixture of problems with AD in the blocking department but the main issue seems to be he just doesn't know who to block. New scheme at Texas and maybe he wasn't asked to block much at Georgia? 

He just looks hesitant to block as if he's questioning what he should be doing. 

He was barely on the field for Georgia. He's a really good pass catcher, but he is behind on his overall development at the position.

12 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think this is the recipe for Sark vs the 3 flyover moving forward. 

Attacking all levels of the defense with Worthy, Cook, Mitchell, and Sanders. 

1 hour ago, mininghorn88 said:

SIAP.

What has become of Neyor? Hurt? Just cannot crack the lineup?

Checked participation chart... only 1 game.

Wondering if Neyor has a COVID year exception available to him ??  He could be continuing to build his strength and confidence back in his knee recovery.  If he stays out next 2 games, Texas has an off week. 

Maybe the game against coogs in H-town 10/21 might be a good time for Neyor to get some playing time again??? 

Edited by LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Cook evidently posted on Twitter about being unhappy about playing time and dumbass fans saying leave then and he said bet.   He’s a freshman, wait till next year you will get plenty of passes..

giphy.gif

Not the first time a WR wants more targets 😋

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 1:32 PM, LTtxfan said:

Coach Erwin frustrated that JWhitt is not getting any receptions... not sure why Sark has not dialed up more throws to JWhitt.  

Oh, because you he's like the 5th option on the team behind Worthy, Mitchell, Sanders, and Brooks. You don't design plays to get Whittington the ball as the 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd option. Now there are times he is open and he should be getting targets because the others are covered. Ewers needs to find those checks instead of taking the 50/50 ball with Worthy down the field.

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If that 1st screen was a fake screen and go, Worthy would have walked into the EZ.

On the 2nd throw, I think Ewers made the decision to throw to Worthy too soon, and missed a wide-open Whittington. Who could have picked up 30+ yards down the sideline.

• Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

If that 1st screen was a fake screen and go, Worthy would have walked into the EZ.

On the 2nd throw, I think Ewers made the decision to throw to Worthy too soon, and missed a wide-open Whittington. Who could have picked up 30+ yards down the sideline.

Just a bad throw. Read wasnt bad, the throw was. I would bet significant money, Sark has taught him to do exactly that.  If we talking about misses in the 2nd half, you have to talk about the 2 shot plays to Mitchell, where he forgot to run. 

Edited by Codaxx

31 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Just a bad throw. Read wasnt bad, the throw was. I would bet significant money, Sark has taught him to do exactly that.  If we talking about misses in the 2nd half, you have to talk about the 2 shot plays to Mitchell, where he forgot to run. 

this what is looked like from the end zone angle. That is probably a TD, if Quinn hits Worthy in stride. 

image.png.30bbd22ddc94013082941360bdebb2fc.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

this what is looked like from the end zone angle. That is probably a TD, if Quinn hits Worthy in stride. 

image.png.30bbd22ddc94013082941360bdebb2fc.png

I don't know about a TD (safety would definitely have a chance to run him out of bounds), but certainly a very nice gain. I do think we have some issues with situational football. Early on, take that shot. But at that point in the game we really just needed the first down and it was there on a platter. It'd be nice if our offense would take the easy yards more often, particularly when it would result in a 1st on 3rd down. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1