Need a new vehicle

10 hours ago, torre said:

🙂🙂🙂

I am older but went thru same dilemma.   Keep that F-150 for a few more years.   You'll miss it  !    🙂

I’m pretty well committed to it for another three or four years.   At the end of the day I’ll probably just downsize to a Ranger or Tacoma when the day comes.  

On 12/14/2020 at 10:52 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

I drive an F-150 right now.   I'm also getting ready to turn 49.    

Question:  Am I turning feminine or something because my eyes keep on looking at smaller SUV's as an alternative?  I've driven a truck for decades now, but with two of my three kids gone from the house and soon the third, I don't really  utilize the capacity in the truck like I once did.    I see the new Toyota and Acura SUV's and I like their styling. A few of the German brands look appealing too.  

If I had to jump in  for a new vehicle in the next year or two , I'd probably go with a Ranger, Canyon or Tacoma.  Or even a Bronco as they become available.   Just wondering if this  change of taste has occurred to any of you other middle aged dudes with the M.O   I would always drive a truck and then you find yourself looking at what you called mom vehicles.

unless you're driving a regular cab, you're already driving a mom vehicle. 

gmc-black-friday-event-one-for-you-one-f

• Like 1

SUVs are theoretically tempting.  They allegedly drive like a car and offer the utility of a pickup.  Neither are true, of course, or even really partially true.  They are easier to park than a truck, but most of them still are pretty trucklike in driving and handling, without the benefit of feeling and being above it all and able to plow through stuff (snow, mud, other vehicles, people).

If you need the back seats and some cargo capacity, they do have that.

But the overall tendency is to be longer and lower and thus more station-wagon-y every year, but don't handle like a car.

But they're really just cool minivans for the most part and even lack some of that capability.

I drive an F-150 right now.   I'm also getting ready to turn 49.    

Question:  Am I turning feminine or something because my eyes keep on looking at smaller SUV's as an alternative?  I've driven a truck for decades now, but with two of my three kids gone from the house and soon the third, I don't really  utilize the capacity in the truck like I once did.    I see the new Toyota and Acura SUV's and I like their styling. A few of the German brands look appealing too.  

If I had to jump in  for a new vehicle in the next year or two , I'd probably go with a Ranger, Canyon or Tacoma.  Or even a Bronco as they become available.   Just wondering if this  change of taste has occurred to any of you other middle aged dudes with the M.O   I would always drive a truck and then you find yourself looking at what you called mom vehicles.

drive whatever you want. your choice of transportation has absolutely nothing to do with your masculinity.

2 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

You be takin dem corners to got damn hard!

Only if it were an Escalade....  Seriously women who drive those things are extra dangerous.   It's like they have the attitude they are driving this 80K SUV and I'm rich too, so get the hell out of the way.  The Tahoe women drivers are a little better.    They just gossip on their cell phones while slowing down traffic in the left lane..

Edited by Nueces River Rat

On 11/26/2020 at 2:57 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

I'm not going to tell you what to buy, but don't but into the macho bull shit above.  Get what you want.  But I like smaller cars.  

Same.  I have an Infiniti QX30 turbo that flies like a sports car, but can hold a surprising amount of shit in the back with the seats folding down.  But I compensate but having a 12” hose.

34 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Same.  I have an Infiniti QX30 turbo that flies like a sports car, but can hold a surprising amount of shit in the back with the seats folding down.  But I compensate but having a 12” hose.

How is the size of your husband's package relevant?

Kidding, because we're about to buy a sienna. They just make the most sense, especially for a family a 3 boys whose parents are over 6ft.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Kidding, because we're about to buy a sienna. They just make the most sense, especially for a family a 3 boys whose parents are over 6ft.

We had a Sienna back around 2004 when our now 20 year old boys  were little brats (LOL).  It drove real well for a mom vehicle.   Much better than Dodge, Ford and GM mini vans at the time.  Of course they were a little more prevalent during that era vs now where the smaller SUV has taken over which many are just mini vans designed to look more sporty and higher wheel base. .  You either had the option to get a Tahoe/Suburban or a Mini van.  The big advantage was the sliding doors as you didn't have to worry about them trying to open it and dinging  the vehicle parked next to you in a parking lot

1 hour ago, KYHorn said:

We’ve got the SUV (Buick Enclave- very underrated vehicle) that the wife drives for when we need to haul the whole fam.  But when I need to haul gear/supplies to the boat, I have plenty of room in the Infiniti.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

We’ve got the SUV (Buick Enclave- very underrated vehicle) that the wife drives for when we need to haul the whole fam.  But when I need to haul gear/supplies to the boat, I have plenty of room in the Infiniti.

Good info. My main concern is legroom in the backseat and space for luggage/gear/dog for any road trips. I really think a minivan is the only vehicle that makes sense for these needs and that, as twicehorn noted, isn't $40k+. I'm also only into vehicles for their utility, so I'm just not very concerned with appearance/style. I currently drive a booger-green 2008 prius. 

On 12/14/2020 at 11:21 AM, Jerry Callo said:

The third row seat in the Tahoe folds down flush.  I keep mine folded down with a weathertech liner on top.  Easy to put it back up if needed.  Don't know about explorers.

Explorers do this as well.  Weathertech mats and liner supposed to be delivered today.

Looking to buy a new truck, either the 2021 GMC Sierra SLT or 2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 3.5.

what is the best strategy to get the lowest price? I'm in Austin and willing to drive a few hundred miles to buy. No trade in, will have my own financing.

My strategy was to call/email as many dealerships with my desired color/trim/etc and ask for their lowest price OTD. Do a second round of this with the ones that respond.

what else am i missing?

9 minutes ago, El Tri said:

Looking to buy a new truck, either the 2021 GMC Sierra SLT or 2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 3.5.

what is the best strategy to get the lowest price? I'm in Austin and willing to drive a few hundred miles to buy. No trade in, will have my own financing.

My strategy was to call/email as many dealerships with my desired color/trim/etc and ask for their lowest price OTD. Do a second round of this with the ones that respond.

what else am i missing?

There are going to be some serious deal on the Ford's with the new 2021 style coming out. I saw plenty on the lot of Maxwell

8 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

There are going to be some serious deal on the Ford's with the new 2021 style coming out. I saw plenty on the lot of Maxwell

i sure hope so as I prefer the Ford over the GMC. Looking at the prices online though, the 2020 Fords are much more expensive than the 2021 GMCs which is crazy to me

34 minutes ago, El Tri said:

what else am i missing?

Bluebonnet down in New Braunfels for Ford

Covert in Bastrop for GMC/Chevy

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Did you have leather seats? I'm thinking they'd be quite useful with young kids, but open to others' experiences

i have an SUV and young kids. Having cloth was not an option. With leather, you just wipe off any food/drink/shit/vomit they spill and it's clean.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Did you have leather seats? I'm thinking they'd be quite useful with young kids, but open to others' experiences

Yes and with young kids its a must because it's  inevitable they will spill, drop, or put their smelly/muddy selves on that seat and you won't have a chance to intervene to stop them..  Some vehicles come with the synthetic leather like options which to the feel are no different than 100% leather and they are dealer installed options as they are more like seat covers, but they fit like a glove none the less unlike the traditional seat covers.    I think that is what we had in that van?

And not blame it all on the kids, I've had my share of spills  and times  where I was drenched in sweat from head to toe where I was thankful I had leather in my vehicles .    This and Weather-Tech mats are a must in almost every vehicle we own now and since then.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

Agreed on Covert for GMC...I'd go with Riata in Manor for the Ford but I've never dealt with Bluebonnet.

I was just going off what some folks from the Corpus area go for the better deals if they are struggling to get one down this way.  I almost pulled the trigger for my current F-150 at Bluebonnet.  But I went ahead and purchased at  the local Ford dealership close to my home and place of business as they were making some good deals and did slightly  better on my trade, I decided to stay local.  Plus I wasn't looking for a King Ranch or Lariat and just a base XL model with Texas Upgrade package.   Bluebonnet does make some much better deals on the King Ranch and Lariats across the Ford Pickup line.  

I see a lot of Covert dealer license plate brackets around here, especially on GMC and Chevy SUV's.  

Of course they were a little more prevalent during that era vs now where the smaller SUV has taken over which many are just mini vans designed to look more sporty and higher wheel base
keep in mind that minivans got gargantuan over the years and most now have more space than any but the largest SUVs (and I know that's why you're getting a sienna).  a few minivans had AWD until manufacturers decided to reserve that for butched up minivans they could sell for an extra $10K by calling them SUVs despite the lessened utility. 

Looking to buy a new truck for my company. The truck we are replacing is a crew cab Tundra. The truck is driven mainly on the highway but some city driving. Pulling a lightly loaded 18’ trailer a couple of times a year for no more than 10-15 miles each time. I have been looking at the Ram crew cab but in a V6. The Tundras just haven’t changed much in the past ten years when the Ram has more creature comfort features.

Thoughts?

14 minutes ago, milkman said:

Looking to buy a new truck for my company. The truck we are replacing is a crew cab Tundra. The truck is driven mainly on the highway but some city driving. Pulling a lightly loaded 18’ trailer a couple of times a year for no more than 10-15 miles each time. I have been looking at the Ram crew cab but in a V6. The Tundras just haven’t changed much in the past ten years when the Ram has more creature comfort features.

Thoughts?

I've always been down about Dodge/Ram ever since they redesigned their trucks back in the 90's.  Almost always sticker priced lower than comparable Fords and GM's, but quality of the interiors and other stuff would go to crap compared to Ford and GM and one can understand why their resale value is horrible.  Having said this,   more recently I don't know how many long time Ford and GM people I've spoken to who have tried Rams and love them with no issues out of the ordinary.  Especially the higher ends which compete with the King Ranch and Lariat Ford packages.  

• Like 1

I see the new Toyota and Acura SUV's and I like their styling. A few of the German brands look appealing too.  

I bought an Acura RDX A-Spec and I'm happy with it. Looks nice, quick, AWD, and great for road trips.