Formula 1 2021

wood

33 minutes ago, naija said:

well, that was dogshit and a disgrace.

Hamilton's reaction afterwards is the epitome of the man. 

Yes it was.  And while not taking away from his magnanimity or competitiveness...it's much easier to behave this way when you're already a 8 time champ.  It's like Brady losing an SB.  Doesn't hurt  less... but could hurt a hell of a lot more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Not that Liberty media cares, but shit like this causes long time fans to bail. How do you watch a race next year and not wonder what regulations will be ignored? It’s hard to be a fan knowing the rules can change anytime at the whims of the owner or head ref.

Eh, the sport has survived Tiregate, Spygate, and Crashgate in recent years and it will survive this. Sometimes shit happens but F1 endures.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Not that Liberty media cares, but shit like this causes long time fans to bail. How do you watch a race next year and not wonder what regulations will be ignored? It’s hard to be a fan knowing the rules can change anytime at the whims of the owner or head ref.

Eh, the whole internet is blowing up. Everyone will just hate watch next year. It's a boon to Liberty

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

Yes it was.  And while not taking away from his magnanimity or competitiveness...it's much easier to behave this way when you're already a 8 time champ.  It's like Brady losing an SB.  Doesn't hurt  less... but could hurt a hell of a lot more.

I disagree that is easier. He was going for a record held with a man whose shadow still looms large against everyone else still on the track. Against a guy who should be at the top for the next how many years? This is a sport that lends itself to 3-5 year runs of dominance, every one counts hard.

There is another aspect to watching Lewis having to stand there and be gracious while watching all of that go down, that is familiar and painful to many who have followed him into the sport. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

And all the predictions of dirty driving Max carelessly diving from behind with no attempt to make the corner still held true...

Except he made the corner. There was a window, he went for it, and he stayed on track. His competitor did not. The Sergio defense was amazing, despite Merc calling it dirty. 

If you don't like Max, then no matter what he does, if he dares to race at all, he will be called dirty. But all the calls that he was going to cause a wreck were complete BS.

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

Eh, the whole internet is blowing up. Everyone will just hate watch next year. It's a boon to Liberty

Agreed. Is there a single person on this thread who is saying they won't watch next year because of this? I think the ruling is weird as hell but I'll be tuned in for the start of next season.

8 minutes ago, G650 said:

Upon reflection, the best face saving move by the FIA may be striking the race. They look like fools either with Max winning like this or booting him and putting Lewis in front. If they bin the race, Max still WDC and they are off the hook for fuckery.

Doubt it happens though.

That actually makes some sense as a logical outcome. Sainz is going to be the one that gets punished in the end. 🤣

Couldn't be happier right now.  For the season to come down to a final lap is just awesome.  Add in all the chaos, and I was OD'ing on the final lap.

Love Masi's decision to let 1 and 2 race it out.  Fairest way to handle it under those situations.  Can't have a title decided under yellow.

Love seeing Hamilton's reign come to an end, at least for a moment.  I still believe he's the best driver on the grid, but every GOAT falls at some point, and Max is a worthy opponent.  I'd still bet on HAM vs the field next year today.

Love seeing Toto lose his shit.  Love seeing everyone up in arms over this rule or that.  Love hearing Christian whine about Lewis on L1.  Love seeing Ferrari fall into P3 today and in the constructors, even though I'm a McLaren fan - FER deserved that.  Love that Yuki looked around after the dust settled and was P4.  Love how pissed all the Max haters are, and will be forever.

The storylines going into next season will be fantastic.  

• Like 3

Except he made the corner. There was a window, he went for it, and he stayed on track. His competitor did not. The Sergio defense was amazing, despite Merc calling it dirty. 
If you don't like Max, then no matter what he does, if he dares to race at all, he will be called dirty. But all the calls that he was going to cause a wreck were complete BS.

If I’m not mistaken, you’re new to F1, correct? Lewis made the same move on Alex Albon in Brazil last year or the year before. Albon turned in on Hamilton and Albon wrecked. Hamilton was penalized. The only difference this time is Hamilton doesn’t turn in. It was not Max’s corner.

5 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Love seeing Toto lose his shit. 

I like Toto. The soundbite of "No! Michael, no!" was hilarious. 

All the weird passive aggressive Englishmen complaining to the FIA also cracks me up. No one will flat out say what they really think.

"Um, excuse me Michael. I have a question. Are we now allowed to use flamethrowers in order to intimidate other drivers on the grid? Because I don't think that sounds fair." 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

15 minutes ago, G650 said:

Upon reflection, the best face saving move by the FIA may be striking the race. They look like fools either with Max winning like this or booting him and putting Lewis in front. If they bin the race, Max still WDC and they are off the hook for fuckery.

Doubt it happens though.

this isn't a bell that can be unrung.

Mercedes' lawyers will probably earn their hourly wages trying, but you can't run this back.

just becomes part of the lore of F1 and the beat goes on.

2 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

If I’m not mistaken, you’re new to F1, correct? Lewis made the same move on Alex Albon in Brazil last year or the year before. Albon turned in on Hamilton and Albon wrecked. Hamilton was penalized. The only difference this time is Hamilton doesn’t turn in. It was not Max’s corner.

So wait, are you admitting that Hamilton sometimes makes the same moves that Max gets shit on for doing? If so, we are getting somewhere.

1 minute ago, naija said:

this isn't a bell that can be unrung.

Mercedes' lawyers will probably earn their hourly wages trying, but you can't run this back.

just becomes part of the lore of F1 and the beat goes on.

This is my take. The confetti dropped and non-champagne sprayed on a World Championship. You can't go back and award it like Sainz's P3 awhile back.

4 minutes ago, naija said:

I disagree that is easier. He was going for a record held with a man whose shadow still looms large against everyone else still on the track. Against a guy who should be at the top for the next how many years? This is a sport that lends itself to 3-5 year runs of dominance, every one counts hard.

There is another aspect to watching Lewis having to stand there and be gracious while watching all of that go down, that is familiar and painful to many who have followed him into the sport. 

He's already pipped Schumacher on wins and poles.  IMO he's very confident in his place in history.  A 36 year Hamilton going for his 1st WCC vs going for 8th carries a very different level of desperation and significance. 

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So wait, are you admitting that Hamilton sometimes makes the same moves that Max gets shit on for doing? If so, we are getting somewhere.

You must be new to the sport. Go back and watch Lewis in 2011 to see what an un-hinged, overly aggressive Lewis in a slower car looks like. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hamilton also apologized to Albon, admitted he fucked up and it was a bad move and deserved the 5 second penalty. So… I’m not sure what you’re getting at? Anyway, it wasn’t Max’s corner just because he was at the apex at the same time.

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

He's already pipped Schumacher on wins and poles.  IMO he's very confident in his place in history.  A 36 year Hamilton going for his 1st WCC vs going for 8th carries a very different level of desperation and significance. 

He might have the internal confidence about his place, but he also is very much aware of what gets said about him and the arguments against him as being the GOAT. You have to believe the want and desire to lessen the strengths of those arguments is there. Brady is a great comparison. Remember that just two years ago, it was still a raging debate about where he stands? Now, you seem ridiculous if you even attempt to try...

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

If you don't like Max, then no matter what he does, if he dares to race at all, he will be called dirty.

You can't possibly say that with a straight face.  Merely "making a corner" is not the litmus test for actually driving the corner in a competitive and sporting manner.  Cornering is braking before the corner, turning into the apex, and unwinding steering out of the apex.  You know - the same way he drove his pole lap.

Braking late into the corner, sliding past the apex (Horner: "he was ahead!"), and THEN applying another 90* of steering lock to turn back into the exit line, is not driving the corner.  There were about 20 replays that showed that exactly - I'm not sure which one you missed.

And please no more of the "but nobody lets Max race nonsense", because Perez did exactly that over successive corners as did the Aston Martin pair. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

I haven't even watched the Netflix series yet. I don't know why people feel the need to play the "I was a fan before you were" card.

It's just the old appeal to authority/experience logical fallacy. I am not sure anyone on here has watched F1 longer than me, but I always seek to discuss someone's argument on it's merits, regardless of their experience.

I haven't even watched the Netflix series yet. I don't know why people feel the need to play the "I was a fan before you were" card.

To me a lot of new blood spews the "OMG the drama is crazy! LOL Toto is so mad can't believe he threw that headset!! CAN'T WAIT FOR DTS NEXT SEASON!" drivel. 

It's just a trend that I'd rather not see continue, especially considering it's apparent effect on this year's championship. There's so much more to enjoy from the sport than weekly bumper cars and angry press conferences. It doesn't need Netflix's help. 

• Like 1

Just now, ConferenceRoom said:

I appreciate DTS bringing new fans to the sport but production wise it is abysmal. Over production and misrepresentation of events is so unnecessary with this sport. Anything can happen in F1 and it usually does. Just turn the cameras on.

Yes.  We want racing on city courses with fans standing on the sidewalk, and mechanics in cut off jorts having a smoke while repairing a V12 motor 🤠

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

So scratch the idea of binning the race. Instead we should do like they did in the 2006 Piston Cup and have another race for just Max and Lewis.

1 v 1 Sprint race; Fashion contest; and Fierjeppen (canal jumping)

best 2 out of 3

Fierljeppen-IE.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

I haven’t read all he replies yet but from the first time I watched it (while being distracted by an ankle biter), it looked like Lewis left the door open which allowed Max to late brake and push him out (which is also predictable for Max’s style). If he would have driven a more defensive line, this wouldn’t have happened there (it still may have later in the lap).  This is from someone not a fan of Max and a fan of Hamilton.  

• Like 2

I haven’t read all he replies yet but from the first time I watched it (while being distracted by an ankle biter), it looked like Lewis left the door open which allowed Max to late brake and push him out (which is also predictable for Max’s style). If he would have driven a more defensive line, this wouldn’t have happened there (it still may have later in the lap).  This is from someone not a fan of Max and a fan of Hamilton.  

The move was never there. Hamilton had the same thing happen with Albon - Albon looked like he left the door open and then turned down into Lewis. It was Lewis’ fault.

I'm not a long time fan, but if this is how they are going to operate, I'm out. I want exciting races, but the rules have to be applied.

Making shit up on the fly is bullshit.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

The move was never there. Hamilton had the same thing happen with Albon - Albon looked like he left the door open and then turned down into Lewis. It was Lewis’ fault.

Rewatching now starting before the last yellow flag.  But, after the incident where Max parked on top of Hamilton, I read the rules pretty closely. They are very particular on who is doing the passing, whether they are on the outside or inside and how far up they are at corner entry and apex.  

Not saying if Hamilton had turned in (from what I recall he started then bailed) and made contact it wouldn’t be Max’s fault.  But, if they were both out of the race, Max would have won anyway.  

Edited by Atxracer

Protest #2 not upheld. 

A race directory just made up the rulebook and decided the champion in probably the most partisan way imaginable. A year of racing rendered meaningless for one lap of artificial DTS drama. Truly a masterclass of incompetence by Michael Masi once again and it's the sport as a whole that suffers. What a fucking embarrassment.

Off to CAS I guess - nothing will happen. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1