Formula 1 2021

wood

12 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

If lava made it easier to enforce track limits/boundaries then I am all for that

12 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

It's not about being easier, they just have to decide to enforce the regulation. Or rewrite it if they don't want to enforce it.

11 hours ago, wood said:

Or just make the tracks enforce them automatically and mercilessly the way they used to, but I doubt anyone will pay for that.

By "easier" I meant actually enforce the limits. And if they did not, well, the drivers die a miserable death in a lava runoff area.

Which race was it this season where Hamilton went over the limits about 25 to 30 times at the same spot and then Max did the same and all of a sudden he was warned?

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I've been proclaiming the virtues of the lava runoff for years now.  Let's make it so, #1.

I'm a little torn between lava pools and water features filled with piranha and laser-sharks ... but 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Edited by wood
can't spell piranha
  • Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, wood said:

Wolff casts doubt on Hamilton F1 return following "pain and distress" of Abu Dhabi

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/73675/wolff-casts-doubt-on-hamilton-f1-return-following-pain-and-distress-of-abu-dhabi/

So Lewis is going to forgo the chance to win a record 8th WDC in unquestionably the best team? A team that, given how it aced the last major regulation to the tune of eight consecutive runaway WCCs and seven WDCs until this year which went down to the final lap of the final race, he should have every confidence will pown the 2022 regulation changes? 

Yeah, um, Toto...

spacer.png

Oh, and I've blocked your email address, so get ready for that strongly-worded bitch to bounce back!

Edited by Dutch
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, faps said:

Can't find two together at any of the good(11,12,15,Stroll) grandstands dangit!

Ohh, nevermind! Picked up two in the Lance Stroll grandstand.

For @Chewbacca https://www.gpcanada.ca/billets-2022-1621/

You saved my bacon, man.  Since we'll be sitting next to each other, I owe you a beer.  Sounds like the Lance Stroll grandstand will be the Surly grandstand.  We're sitting there, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

The fucking email for the presale just came through to me.  Good thing I have this place.

Did I pay $911 USD for 2 F1 tickets, or are the charges going to come through in Loonies?

Lol. I didn't even think of that. USD>CAD right now, right? So am I going to save money?

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

The fucking email for the presale just came through to me.  Good thing I have this place.

Did I pay $911 USD for 2 F1 tickets, or are the charges going to come through in Loonies?

911 CAD is about 700 USD.

13 minutes ago, wood said:

When y'all book lodging, of course it's cool if you get close to downtown/Crescent St, but you're golden anywhere near a Metro station.

Wood is evidently looking over my shoulder. Planned on tacking on a day or two to explore. Gulp. Hotels make race tickets look cheap.

12 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

So what's the deal with the pit walk on Thursday?  Can anyone go or do you need tickets?  Wife might want to stop by that one although she's not going to the race.

It's always been open for anyone, ticket or not, afaik. It definitely was both times I went. Open for several hours, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

You might check r/Montreal or r/Formula1 to make sure, but the organizers are renowned for letting you bring whatever food and drink you want with you into the facility. On Saturday night, prepare a backpack full of snacks and booze that you can enjoy during the build up and race.

Why the fuck are the organizers of the Canadian GP cool but in the US they treat you like shit?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Why the fuck are the organizers of the Canadian GP cool but in the US they treat you like shit?

There are lots of reasons to dislike COTA, but this complaint always makes me scratch my head.  It's not really a USGP/COTA thing.  They don't let you bring your own food and booze into football games in the USA.  They don't let you bring food and booze into baseball games in the USA.  They don't let you bring food and booze into basketball. soccer, or jai'alai games (probably) in the USA.  Why should the expectation be any different for the USGP?

28 minutes ago, utee94 said:

There are lots of reasons to dislike COTA, but this complaint always makes me scratch my head.  It's not really a USGP/COTA thing.  They don't let you bring your own food and booze into football games in the USA.  They don't let you bring food and booze into baseball games in the USA.  They don't let you bring food and booze into basketball. soccer, or jai'alai games (probably) in the USA.  Why should the expectation be any different for the USGP?

whereas you can bring basically anything you want to a bluejays game

36 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It's very common in motorsport though, even in America. It's probably not common in Canadian stick & ball sports, either.

2 minutes ago, wood said:

It's very common in motorsport though, even in America. It's probably not common in Canadian stick & ball sports, either.

Eh, they do it in NASCAR.  But that's... NASCAR.

My point stands, it's weird to expect this from COTA, if you don't expect it at DKR-TMS or at Q2 (where the food and beer prices are actually worse than COTA).

I'd consider it a nice perk of the Canadian GP, and enjoy it.  But it's silly to fault COTA for it, when it's completely acceptable in all other American sports venues.

Edited by utee94

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Eh, they do it in NASCAR.  But that's... NASCAR.

My point stands, it's weird to expect this from COTA, if you don't expect it at DKR-TMS or at Q2 (where the food and beer prices are actually worse than COTA).

They allow it in IndyCar at the 500, too. Very common in motorsport culture, but not in other sports. But Epstein couldn't give a shit about racing, racing culture, etc.

Edited by wood

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Right. Just the two biggest American motorsport series. Plus IMSA, WC, etc ... 

You're not really convincing me.  American football is far more important than any of those things, and it's not the common or accepted practice there.  For those that want free food and booze, by all means, go torture yourself with NASCAR or whatever.

This is a silly hill to die on just because you want to take an extraneous and redundant pot shot at Epstein.

Edited by utee94

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You're not really convincing me.  American football is far more important than any of those things, and it's not the common or accepted practice there.  For those that want free food and booze, by all means, go torture yourself with NASCAR or whatever.

This is a silly hill to die on just because you want to take an extraneous and redundant pot shot at Epstein.

All I'm saying is it's very, very uncommon in motorsport for the venue not to allow its customers to bring in their own supplies. What the stick & ball sports allow here isn't any more relevant than it is in Canada, where they likely don't allow outside food & drinks, either.

And 'dying on a hill'? LOL. WTF? We're just talking here, not curing cancer.

Edited by wood

Just now, wood said:

All I'm saying is it's very, very uncommon in motorsport for the venue not to allow its customers to bring in their own supplies. What the stick & ball sports allow here isn't any more relevant than it is in Canada, where they likely don't allow outside food & drinks, either.

And 'dying on a hill'? LOL. WTF? We're just talking here, not curing cancer.

From the Bluejays post above, apparently they do.  The Canadians are nice people. They'll let you do anything.

Blasting an American sports venue for not allowing in outside food and drink is pretty silly and it's at the very, very bottom of things to complain about at COTA.

If I were more of a surly person, I'd just say something like, "that sounds like a problem for the poors" but I'm a GD nice guy and won't stoop to that. :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, utee94 said:

From the Bluejays post above, apparently they do.  The Canadians are nice people. They'll let you do anything.

Blasting an American sports venue for not allowing in outside food and drink is pretty silly and it's at the very, very bottom of things to complain about at COTA.

If I were more of a surly person, I'd just say something like, "that sounds like a problem for the poors" but I'm a GD nice guy and won't stoop to that. :)

That's cool if the Jays allow it. That's one. And it's not an extraneous or redundant pot shot at Epstein. He is the reason why there's no outside food & drink allowed at COTA.  He's also the reason food & drink are so fucking expensive at COTA. Bringing in your own stuff is so common in motorsport that there was a pretty significant response from fans back in 2012 when they found out about COTA's policy, yes, even the American fans. It's a thing in motorsport. Whether or not it's a thing in other sports isn't relevant, which is why you don't hear anyone complaining about not getting to take food into DKR despite getting to do so at races.

And it doesn't stop there. These guys will see when they get to Montreal and see how they're treated, both at the circuit and away from it.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hotel booked. Now trying to figure out flights. Did y'all know if you just say "fuck it" and ignore thinking about the money you're spending, it doesn't hurt as much? 

Damn didn't seem like there were a ton of options, but found a spot walking distance of the metro and Mt. Royal Park. Super excited. Montreal looks gorgeous. May hold off on flights for a while since this event is still 6+ months away. But the hotels didn't seem like they'd be getting any less empty.

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Hotel booked. Now trying to figure out flights. Did y'all know if you just say "fuck it" and ignore thinking about the money you're spending, it doesn't hurt as much? 

Damn didn't seem like there were a ton of options, but found a spot walking distance of the metro and Mt. Royal Park. Super excited. Montreal looks gorgeous. May hold off on flights for a while since this event is still 6+ months away. But the hotels didn't seem like they'd be getting any less empty.

Mont Royal Park is awesome. We were also just about 10 blocks from there & walked it. Be sure to hit the overlook of downtown. My family & I were up there checking it out when some Sky F1 camera guys came up to shoot the view. They invited us to be in the shot, & used it later on the race broadcast. So, I got that goin' for me, which is nice. /csb

Edited by wood

10 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I understand not letting us bring in our own booze and food. But at least make it easy for me to buy a $10 beer.
Last years concessions were the worst I’ve ever seen at any event.

The 2021 USGP was the most crowded I've ever seen it.  Even worse than the first year.

Aside from the hour or so before the race itself on Sunday, it's usually quite easy to get a $10 beer.

I only went on Saturday this year and yeah it seemed just as crowded as the first year

But the concessions got worse as the day went on. Lots of vendors ran out of beer so the lines got ridiculous for places that did have stuff. After qualifying it got better

And the placement of some of the concessions was just moronic. The lines basically blocked the through traffic of people moving around.

19 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I only went on Saturday this year and yeah it seemed just as crowded as the first year

But the concessions got worse as the day went on. Lots of vendors ran out of beer so the lines got ridiculous for places that did have stuff. After qualifying it got better

And the placement of some of the concessions was just moronic. The lines basically blocked the through traffic of people moving around.

I didn't notice any concession placement that made things worse, aside from just the sheer number of people that were present on all three days, compared to previous years. But I have a few places I always hit so wasn't really looking.

As for "running out" it was pretty obvious they were having logistical problems and staffing problems.  Epstein clearly oversold the venue compared to the level of support he was willing, or able, to hire.  At the same time, the entire venue ran out of limes early Friday morning and never recovered.  But my grocery store sometimes runs out of limes for days at a time as well.  I think at least some of this is still related to wonky supply chains from the pandemic.

But the not having enough beer, well, I sincerely doubt the plan was to NOT try to extract as many $10 payments for bad beer as possible, so that's why I think it was a logistical/staffing issue within the venue itself.  If Epstein shortcutted the amount of staff, then he shot himself in the foot, because that's just money left on the table.

The fan experience for COTA is just crummy. I started listing improvements that could be made, but it's spitting in the wind.

But all the well-known issues aside, planting about 5,000 trees wouldn't hurt that track at all.

24 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I didn't notice any concession placement that made things worse, aside from just the sheer number of people that were present on all three days, compared to previous years. But I have a few places I always hit so wasn't really looking.

As for "running out" it was pretty obvious they were having logistical problems and staffing problems.  Epstein clearly oversold the venue compared to the level of support he was willing, or able, to hire.  At the same time, the entire venue ran out of limes early Friday morning and never recovered.  But my grocery store sometimes runs out of limes for days at a time as well.  I think at least some of this is still related to wonky supply chains from the pandemic.

But the not having enough beer, well, I sincerely doubt the plan was to NOT try to extract as many $10 payments for bad beer as possible, so that's why I think it was a logistical/staffing issue within the venue itself.  If Epstein shortcutted the amount of staff, then he shot himself in the foot, because that's just money left on the table.

Just fyi their 'staffing problems' excuse is pure bullshit. They turned away over 600 temp staffers at 4am on Friday, & told them they wouldn't be needed for the weekend. Then they told the remaining workers they'd be working 16 hour shifts all three days, which of course led to tons of no-shows on Saturday and Sunday, leaving COTA even more understaffed relative to the larger crowds that would be arriving each day. That's why they were 'understaffed', had no traffic control in multiple lots (with people having to get out of their cars and direct traffic so they could leave) , little crowd control & not enough gate personnel, a couple of stampedes of people rushing gates & climbing fences, no shuttles to take thousands of people 3 miles away to the Park & Ride lot they paid hundreds of dollars to park in, unstocked restrooms & portapotties, etc, etc. The list goes on and on.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The fan experience for COTA is just crummy. I started listing improvements that could be made, but it's spitting in the wind.

But all the well-known issues aside, planting about 5,000 trees wouldn't hurt that track at all.

Funny you should mention that. Lack of shade is a huge problem out there, which is one reason the City Council made planting thousands of trees around the circuit a condition of their 2012 CELOC endorsement approval. Of course that never happened, and nobody did shit about it. 

Edited by wood