Formula 1 2021

wood

Well, it's true.  Bask in it!

Meanwhile Ferrari is like Texas.  Used to be really good, it's been over a decade since they won anything important, and every time the situation looks like it might be looking up, the whole thing crashes and falls apart in some new, spectacular way.  All of the ultra-rich cooks in the kitchen make things harder for the team to execute, and it's possible there's just a deep-seated culture of softness and malaise that will prevent the organization from ever reaching the pinnacle again.
Hopefully I'm exaggerating on most or all of the above...

I do not like you.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Meanwhile Ferrari is like Texas.  Used to be really good, it's been over a decade since they won anything important, and every time the situation looks like it might be looking up, the whole thing crashes and falls apart in some new, spectacular way.  All of the ultra-rich cooks in the kitchen make things harder for the team to execute, and it's possible there's just a deep-seated culture of softness and malaise that will prevent the organization from ever reaching the pinnacle again.

I do not like you.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

fun fact Ferrari gets a gigantic chunk of the revenue sharing / prize money due to legacy F1 contracts, no matter how poorly they perform... so hard to feel pity for them when they suck

Again, just like Texas.  The parallels are endless!

(And I'm not happy about that...)

• Like 1

Kimi's parting gift:

spacer.png

And speaking of parting gifts... I didn't know Honda owned Suzuka.  As such, they had a few extra trophies lying around after the Japanese GP got cancelled.  They refashioned one for Max.

Sucks Honda are leaving F1 but at least they do so on a high and not with the "GP2" engine as their final contribution. It seems the sport needs more engine providers not fewer, but I get it if their future focus is shifting to electric and and zero emissions.

spacer.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, utee94 said:

Well, it's true.  Bask in it! :)

this explains my complete inability to like ferrari - one team like this is enough. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, G650 said:

Well I got Alabama and Chelsea in my corner, so I've at least got that going for me.

...which is nice.

If Texas had had a run like Alabama has over the past 12 years, I'd never worry about any of the other sports again.  Anything and everything else would just be a cherry on top.

But, well, here we are.

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

But, well, here we are.

Ah well, nevertheless...

To be honest, and don't throw a shoe at me, CFB has gotten so boring with Alabama's dominance that I barely watch anymore. I would never want them to lose, but I can honestly say it would be good for CFB. Basically it was Alabama, tOSU and Clemson tagging along, for championships. Not very enthralling. This year they actually are somewhat falliable and my interest has piqued a bit. I actually watched two halves of football and followed the SECCG on gamecast because I was at a party. I legit did not watch the past two championships.

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

To be honest, and don't throw a shoe at me, CFB has gotten so boring with Alabama's dominance that I barely watch anymore. 

I'd like to get bored of watching CFB football because Texas has gangbanged everyone for over a decade.  

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

46 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Lol

We did nothing wrong, but we're having a big old meeting to discuss how to improve all the stuff we did that there was nothing wrong with.

https://www.fia.com/news/statement-fia-world-motor-sport-council

They need to do a comprehensive review of the entire season. It would probably take too long though...

ETA: Hey, btw, thanks for that stream rec. It's much better than Caststreams. Caststreams kept dropping out. I record the streams using the XBOX app & it was almost impossible. Last night on Stream East, I got the entire game in one recording. Not a single drop of the stream. Too bad they lost...

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Lol

We did nothing wrong, but we're having a big old meeting to discuss how to improve all the stuff we did that there was nothing wrong with.

https://www.fia.com/news/statement-fia-world-motor-sport-council

The circumstances surrounding the use of the Safety Car following the incident of driver Nicholas Latifi, and the related communications between the FIA Race Direction team and the Formula 1 teams, have notably generated significant misunderstanding and reactions from Formula 1 teams, drivers and fans, an argument that is currently tarnishing the image of the Championship and the due celebration of the first Drivers' World Championship title won by Max Verstappen and the eighth consecutive Constructors' World Championship title won by Mercedes.

Misunderstandings? That's what tarnished the championship? That's so rich. 

I didn’t misunderstand anything. The race director rewrote the regulations and screwed the entire field, minus Max. Not much to misunderstand.
It doesn't make it better, but i believe Masi makes the same decision if Max is in the lead. He was making them race no matter what, rules be damned.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
17 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:
I didn’t misunderstand anything. The race director rewrote the regulations and screwed the entire field, minus Max. Not much to misunderstand.

It doesn't make it better, but i believe Masi makes the same decision if Max is in the lead. He was making them race no matter what, rules be damned.

Just because he isn't a biased imbecile doesn't mean that he isn't still an imbecile. 

• Like 2

On 12/14/2021 at 2:58 PM, ConferenceRoom said:

I was going to use the same phrase, bad rap. I think most people have problems with the huge areas of concrete surrounding the track. Those should be sand or lava or something. 

If lava made it easier to enforce track limits/boundaries then I am all for that

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's not about being easier, they just have to decide to enforce the regulation. Or rewrite it if they don't want to enforce it.

Or just make the tracks enforce them automatically and mercilessly the way they used to, but I doubt anyone will pay for that.

26 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Just because he isn't a biased imbecile doesn't mean that he isn't still an imbecile. 

Yeah I think it's pretty clear he's not cut out for the job, at least in its current form. Maybe the lack of people yelling in his headset at critical moments might help him or whoever is RD next year. What many seem to be missing is that, as the stewards' wrote in their decision, Articles 15:3 and 48:13 give the race director full power to make any alterations of safety car procedures and pretty much anything else about the race as he/she sees fit. The rules to the race director are just a guideline, he/she is the final decision maker of how best to run the race, period. It sucks, but that's how he's been proceeding all year long and last year as well, as with redifining previously prescribed track limits willy nilly, etc, etc. It's not new, at least to many of us. I'm sure Charlie had just as much overriding authority, but he was far less prone to use it.

1 minute ago, wood said:

Yeah I think it's pretty clear he's not cut out for the job, at least in its current form. Maybe the lack of people yelling in his headset at critical moments might help him or whoever is RD next year. What many seem to be missing is that, as the stewards' wrote in their decision, Articles 15:3 and 48:13 give the race director full power to make any alterations of safety car procedures and pretty much anything else about the race as he/she sees fit. The rules to the race director are just a guideline, he/she is the final decision maker of how best to run the race, period. It sucks, but that's how he's been proceeding all year long and last year as well, as with redifining previously prescribed track limits willy nilly, etc, etc. It's not new, at least to many of us. I'm sure Charlie had just as much overriding authority, but he was far less prone to use it.

Correct, the regulations have a bunch of rules but then say the race director has full control over stuff. So the defense is valid for not changing anything in the 2021 season, but everything would be a lot cleaner if the race director basically never used that discretion and followed the rules. Like we've discussed here, 27.3 exists so use it. If the drivers complain that they can't make a turn inside the white lines then look them dead in the eye and say "Yes you can. Imagine there's a steel wall one car width outside the white line. I bet you could make that turn then. Slow down if necessary, that's part of driving. Guess what? Everyone else will have to do the same thing. No more whining."

• Hook 'Em 1

Withdrawing the appeal is definitely better for the sport. As vocal as I've been about Masi, I'm willing to give him one more shot without the teams' ability to lobby him during a race and with the commission's analysis hopefully providing clarity on the rules and their enforcement. Thank science for one of the shortest off-seasons in sports. 

Lewis and Toto not attending the ceremony tonight. For the record, I think it's 100% ok not to attend and understandable. I also think it's 100% ok for Max to be disappointed in SA, grab his trophy and walk off the podium. It's sport, not a Presidential Inauguration. Others on this thread bashed him for it.

43 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Thank science for one of the shortest off-seasons in sports. 

The short offseason, at least IMHO, is one of the biggest appeals to F1. We have to wait nine months for CFB and the NFL to return.  F1 is back in 94 days; preseason testing in 67 (not that I'm counting).

• Like 1

Lewis and Toto not attending the ceremony tonight. For the record, I think it's 100% ok not to attend and understandable. I also think it's 100% ok for Max to be disappointed in SA, grab his trophy and walk off the podium. It's sport, not a Presidential Inauguration. Others on this thread bashed him for it.

The podium celebration in F1 has always been strange to me. I don’t mind shaking my competitors hand after a race, but why the hell would I celebrate him / her beating me??

5 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

The podium celebration in F1 has always been strange to me. I don’t mind shaking my competitors hand after a race, but why the hell would I celebrate him / her beating me??

Getting a podium place-- any podium place-- is a big deal in auto sport, and especially world auto sport.  Americans tend to be a lot more binary and think in terms of win/loss, but even getting a third on the podium is still valued in racing, and considered something worth celebrating.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Getting a podium place-- any podium place-- is a big deal in auto sport, and especially world auto sport.  Americans tend to be a lot more binary and think in terms of win/loss, but even getting a third on the podium is still valued in racing, and considered something worth celebrating.

I’m not saying getting second / third isn’t amazing. I’m just not showering the main guy with champagne.