Formula 1 2021

wood

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Oh my God, Porsche, Horner, Verstappen and Red Bull? That would be like a hate death star for me lol.  I would support adding a Vulcan cannon in the nose to the sporting regs

I would love it! I love Porsche. I really like Audi. And I learned to drive in a 1979 diesel Rabbit that had a four-speed manual.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'll be honest -- and I'm sincerely not trying to start another argument on this thread (lord knows there have been enough). But my perception has been that the anti-Max fans have been another level on this thread. Don't like Max? I completely understand. But seems like the vitriol thrown his way has been unbelievable and way above and beyond anything mentioned around Lewis.

absolutely.

is his dad a piece of shit? yes, 100% absolutely.

is he entitled? yes, absolutely.

is he the only SUPER ENTITLED F1 driver on the grid?

Danger 5 Laughing GIF

is Max a piece of shit because of off track stuff? not that i know of or that i have seen people say.

Lewis/Max and Toto/Horner are all 2 sides of the same coin. all love to bitch. all love to act like what happened to them is the worst thing ever (LH saying "dangerous driving" by Checo was comical to me, but you know what - Max would have said that same thing if it has been Bottas who had defended hard.) All love to act like underdogs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

You can have multiple favorites of drivers and teams if it suits your fancy. I’m a McLaren fan and my favorite driver (Daniel) just happens to drive for them. Daniel leveled up to my favorite after Fernando left briefly. Fernando became my favorite driver while he was at Ferrari of all places because he can take an absolute donkey and give you second place with it, unless it’s a McLaren Honda.

But I will always root for McLaren above all things. Read about Bruce and see if you don’t find yourself wearing papaya next year.

I don’t have anything against McLaren. My brother used to do their trademark work in Asia so, I don’t mind them. And yes, Bruce McLaren was special.

9 hours ago, deft said:

You looois Stans excited he's getting his fellow countryman as a teammate next year?  GR looked pretty good in the W11 last year subbing for LH.  I'll be excited to see what he can do out of that Williams shitbox.

Bottas got a lot of shit but his 100% record in Q3 is impressive. He wasn't as consistent as Lewis obviously (no one is) but there are going to be some not small growing pains with George in the 2nd seat. We will see how well he really does as a "second fiddle" - Botas played the part graciously and well but how many other folks have been unable to?

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Man, it's F1, there are no rules. Cheer for what tickles your fancy and enjoy it.

As a very old fan, I actually am pretty invigorated by all the new fans and perspectives, so I'm happy to have you along

Yeah that's a nice thing about following F1 from this side of the Atlantic, you can pick and choose your rooting interests.  I've always been a Ferrari fan, but I also tend to find specific drivers that I like as well, regardless of team.  On any given race weekend, the odds are relatively high that I'll find SOMEthing good in the outcomes.

Contrast that with American football, and especially college football and the Longhorns-- the highs are higher but the lows are brutal, and as a Longhorns fan, the lows have been consistently more prevalent recently.

Edited by utee94

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

Bottas got a lot of shit but his 100% record in Q3 is impressive. He wasn't as consistent as Lewis obviously (no one is) but there are going to be some not small growing pains with George in the 2nd seat. We will see how well he really does as a "second fiddle" - Botas played the part graciously and well but how many other folks have been unable to?

Well, Nico did such a shit job of it, that he went ahead and beat Lewis and won the WDC! Truly a terrible wingman,:)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, topochico said:

Watch Drive to Survive. There is a lot more to root for beyond the individual driver. I know there is heavy editing involved, but seeing each team and driver fight for every advantage whether you're first or fifteenth on the grid has made it a lot more fun. Nobody is safe in F1. Drivers are always a few bad races away from losing their seat. Team principles are under tremendous pressure to find financial backing and to move up the ladder from back marker to mid-level or up from mid-level to fighting for podiums. 

Appreciate all the responses.  I watched the series and that's what got me interested.  For someone who knew little about it, they do a great job imo breaking the basics and teams and individuals down for consumption.  Followed this season pretty closely and it was a great time.  The last laps, was about the craziest things I've seen in sport in my 50 years.  

I don't know enough about the rules to say anything definitive so leave that to everyone else.  I'm sure Mercedes/Hamilton have reason oo feel hard done by, but there seems to be enough to sway the decision as being ok.  What ended up, was nutty, crazy and maybe the most exciting few minutes in sport most of us have lived through, for better or worse.

That being said, it seems odd and wrong to me to fluctuate between teams/drivers, but I guess that's the way it goes.  Can't wait to see the excitement in the short offseason.

Can anyone post good sources of news/podcasts/etc.? Been relying on the BBC/this thread/the race thread on OB and would like to expand my information.

19 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Apparently, this is what F1 does to people:

spacer.png

Me at the thought of RBR/Horner/Max/Porsche

hate-hate-hate-yeah.gif

7 minutes ago, pied06 said:

That being said, it seems odd and wrong to me to fluctuate between teams/drivers, but I guess that's the way it goes. 

The thing is, if you are in it long enough, all the drivers and teams come and go. Other than McLaren and Ferrari.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, pied06 said:

Appreciate all the responses.  I watched the series and that's what got me interested.  For someone who knew little about it, they do a great job imo breaking the basics and teams and individuals down for consumption.  Followed this season pretty closely and it was a great time.  The last laps, was about the craziest things I've seen in sport in my 50 years.  

I don't know enough about the rules to say anything definitive so leave that to everyone else.  I'm sure Mercedes/Hamilton have reason oo feel hard done by, but there seems to be enough to sway the decision as being ok.  What ended up, was nutty, crazy and maybe the most exciting few minutes in sport most of us have lived through, for better or worse.

That being said, it seems odd and wrong to me to fluctuate between teams/drivers, but I guess that's the way it goes.  Can't wait to see the excitement in the short offseason.

Can anyone post good sources of news/podcasts/etc.? Been relying on the BBC/this thread/the race thread on OB and would like to expand my information.

skysports.com/f1 was my go to for news and commentary for a while. They have a decent winter testing feed. 

reddit.com/r/formula1 is good for content, not necessarily discussion. 

MissedApex is a good podcast. 

As far as fandom goes, eventually you'll gravitate toward a driver or a team for one reason or another. If you don't, that's okay - it's one of the few sports where you can just be a fan of the sport and the shenanigans it brings.

• Hook 'Em 2

The first season of DTS was spectacular as it was an approachable way to learn about the teams, the weekend, and the process. The rest were good, but not near as good as I was now watching each race. Hard to get drama when you already know what happens.

Also wonder if they would switch to a weekend by weekend format instead of following a team for each episode. Seemed to be weird with the flow of the season. 

11 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The first season of DTS was spectacular as it was an approachable way to learn about the teams, the weekend, and the process. The rest were good, but not near as good as I was now watching each race. Hard to get drama when you already know what happens.

Also wonder if they would switch to a weekend by weekend format instead of following a team for each episode. Seemed to be weird with the flow of the season. 

i would love to see 2 versions of it

1. Drive to Survive regular version like we have now
  2. All or Nothing-style embed with a team for the full season, fly on the wall 

Edited by NoName

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

i would love to see 2 versions of it

1. Drive to Survive regular version like we have now
  2. All or Nothing-style embed with a team for the full season, fly on the wall 

Yeah, I watched the All or Nothing McLaren one when Alonso was on the team a few years back. I think Van Doorne was his teammate?

12 hours ago, pied06 said:

How do you root long term?

F1 is somewhat unique in this regard, and it is confusing at first. I saw someone w/ this advice to a noob wanting to get into EPL, and it is how I approached F1 when we got COTA and I knew I was going to want to follow more closely (my father was an F1 fan and I kept tabs-ish to the point where I knew some names, but that was it).  

Sit back and watch for a while and you will naturally be drawn to the teams and drivers you like. Some of the questions as to why everyone likes/hates certain drivers will be answered in your POV. If you don't have your favorites now, no big deal - give it time. Their personalities will come through and you'll identify w/ a couple that you start rooting for. 

I would also add that you can't get caught up in the winning/losing of each race, or even a season.  Americans are so binary in this regard, and it doesn't fit here.  Because one manufacturer can be so dominant, especially when they have the best driver, the majority of the action is happening behind them, and you need to be comfortable celebrating your guy finishing 4th when he's a rookie, or making it to Q3 for the 1st time, or when your team has been shit for years and they finish 3rd in the constructors.  Americans tend to write those things off as moral victories without any real meaning, but F1 is a long game and every little win, of any variety, matters.

12 hours ago, pied06 said:

That being said, it seems odd and wrong to me to fluctuate between teams/drivers, but I guess that's the way it goes.

I don't think most of us flip flop willy nilly, but much like in American sports, if you have a favorite college player that gets drafted to a pro team you don't care for, or a favorite player from your team gets traded away, you still root for that player, if not the team.  When my guy Danny Ricciardo went to Renault, I still wanted him to do well, but I didn't particularly care how Renault did overall and wasn't pulling for Hulkenberg or Ocon.  And there are years when your team is shit, so there is nothing to root for - you find other storylines you want to see end a certain way.  When McLaren was absolute ass, I was pulling for Ferrari to fight Mercedes, even though I hate Ferrari.

And again: I root for chaos.  This sport sucks ass when there are no assholes, no divas, no jokers, no cheating, no aggressive racing, no inconsistent application of rules, no idiots fucking it up for the others, and that's true in all autosport.  10% of this thread has been posted since the final race ended, because of how bonkers that race went.  If either driver had cruised to an easy win, we'd be on P110 right now. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Mittens nailed it regarding rooting interests. You watch and get drawn in by some drivers and turned off by others. 

Would say I am a fan of:
Ricciardo
Verstappen
Bottas

Generally like/Happy to see do well:
Perez
Sainz
Norris
Leclerc
Gasly
Alonso
Vettel
Russell
Schumacher

Don't really think about:
Ocon
Stroll
Tsunoda
Kimi
Latifi
Giovanazzi

Not a fan:
Hamilton
Mazepin

4 hours ago, NoName said:

isn't he a partial (like 1/3rd?) owner in the F1 team? how are they going to fire him?

Yeah that's a great question. I think he does have some ownership stake, but then, if the Merc folks want him out (not saying they do), they could surely make that happen anyway.

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Well, Nico did such a shit job of it, that he went ahead and beat Lewis and won the WDC! Truly a terrible wingman,:)

Yep. And I'd be very surprised if his desire to depart from the team after that wasn't 100% mutual. They said they were shocked. I don't buy that for a second.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, wood said:

Yep. And I'd be very surprised if his desire to depart from the team after that wasn't 100% mutual. They said they were shocked. I don't buy that for a second.

Me either.  Imagine having similar friction like what Lewis and Max currently have, but inside the same garage. At the time both drivers were pretty tight-lipped about it, but now, years later, Nico is saying that he and Lewis are still working on repairing that relationship.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, pied06 said:

Appreciate all the responses.  I watched the series and that's what got me interested.  For someone who knew little about it, they do a great job imo breaking the basics and teams and individuals down for consumption. 

Just remember re: the personality issues DTS goes into, a lot of it is complete bullshit. So I wouldn't base my opinions of the drivers on what I see there. Esp disregard pretty much 100% of what that dipshit Buxton says. But they do do a great job of exposing the general nature of the sport to the viewer.

I find RaceFans.net to be a great news source of late. Autosport is excellent. Motorsport.com is good. Auto Motor und Sport (AMuS) is a great German source F1 news.  Oh yeah, Marc (Elvis) Priestley's youtube channel is pretty good, too. He's an ex-F1 mechanic & pit crewmember for McLaren. He has some good stories. He also a book or two.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah I've always thought it would be better to follow F1 with each weekend being a story of its own, which is the way it really is.

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Because one manufacturer can be so dominant, especially when they have the best driver, the majority of the action is happening behind them

Good post & agree with most of it, but championships are won in F1 mostly by the cars. Only on very rare occasions does a driver who isn't in the fastest car win a WDC. It's even rarer for a WCC to be won by the team without the fastest car. The last 8 years are a great example of that. Merc has won 8 of 8 WCCs and 7 of 8 WDCs. Immediately before that, RBR won 4 of 4 WCCs and 4 of 4 WDCs. In 2012 at Ferrari, Fernando Alonso drove probably his best season ever in F1, which many people think is one of the best performances ever by a driver in F1, only to end up P2 to Vettel in a better car.

36 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Forcing Toto out after winning yet another Constructor's would seem like an... odd... move.

But since I'm all for chaos, go ahead and let it happen!

Yeah I agree. I've just been seeing some people talking about it. It makes about as much sense to me as another move people are saying might happen - Merc leaving F1 over losing their first of 16 possible championships in the last 8 years.

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Folks love to talk up drama and rumors.  That's not really my thing.  Mostly I just like to watch cars go really, really fast, and on some of the most beautiful race courses in the world.

I'm mostly here for the sex, drugs and rock n' roll lifestyle.

• Like 1

Saward (fwiw) says COTA has a new 5 year deal with F1 that will be announced soon. I was just telling my buddy yesterday that I figgered they'd get 5 & not 10.

Also says F1 people are in Vegas finalizing details. I was told months ago that Vegas already signed an F1 contract for 2023.

Edited by wood

5 hours ago, NoName said:

Lewis/Max and Toto/Horner are all 2 sides of the same coin. all love to bitch. all love to act like what happened to them is the worst thing ever (LH saying "dangerous driving" by Checo was comical to me, but you know what - Max would have said that same thing if it has been Bottas who had defended hard.) All love to act like underdogs.

I will say that Mercedes and Lewis have handled this extremely well. Lob out some complaints, file a protest, give Max your congratulations, then forget about it, get drunk, and move on.

Even the biggest Red Bull fans would acknowledge that the response would not be the same had the roles been reversed. I like Horner--and the Netflix show wouldn't be half of what it is without his blunt asshole nature--but dude would be apoplectic.

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

I don't think most of us flip flop willy nilly, but much like in American sports, if you have a favorite college player that gets drafted to a pro team you don't care for, or a favorite player from your team gets traded away, you still root for that player, if not the team.  When my guy Danny Ricciardo went to Renault, I still wanted him to do well, but I didn't particularly care how Renault did overall and wasn't pulling for Hulkenberg or Ocon.  And there are years when your team is shit, so there is nothing to root for - you find other storylines you want to see end a certain way.  When McLaren was absolute ass, I was pulling for Ferrari to fight Mercedes, even though I hate Ferrari.

Agreed... I root for Ferrari and hope Mercedes hits a barrier each race.  Of course, my current streak is not so great so I enjoy rooting for Max, Ricciardo (who doesn't?) and Perez.  I can enjoy Ricciardo and his personality without caring in the slightest bit what his team is doing.

Now, MotoGP, I now don't really have a team although I like to see Ducati do well. Overall, I want to see Italian racers (especially VR but that's done) and Italian teams do well... but booo Marquez and F Jorge Lorenzo. 

Last note... not a fan of MB or Hamilton but he handled everything with class.  Props to him.

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I will say that Mercedes and Lewis have handled this extremely well. Lob out some complaints, file a protest, give Max your congratulations, then forget about it, get drunk, and move on.
Even the biggest Red Bull fans would acknowledge that the response would not be the same had the roles been reversed. I like Horner--and the Netflix show wouldn't be half of what it is without his blunt asshole nature--but dude would be apoplectic.

I don’t think Merc has moved on. They have until Thursday (I believe) to file suit. I hope they do and would like to see Ferrari join them for fun.

4 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

I don’t think Merc has moved on. They have until Thursday (I believe) to file suit. I hope they do and would like to see Ferrari join them for fun.

Supposedly Lewis told them not to appeal and just be done.  I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere, though.  My son says he saw it on reddit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The aero covers for the 2022 tire/wheel combo makes them look like steelies.

4619c3fa3978783f27d48c3baa9dd4f3.jpg
87b995b07f07ef3c981c1b6937f20641.jpg
df4daa00e84647e35b00c1261e906a9b.jpg

On the Ferrari, they have an open front wheel. I think I know the answer to this, but I'm not sure: Are the covers mandated for all 4 wheels, or is it up to the teams to decide how to employ them?