Formula 1 2021

wood

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I think McLaren has one of the best driver duos on the grid.  If they can field a car that is competitive on most tracks, they can make some noise.  

Either Lando is real good or Danny isn’t. Ricciardo finished 8th in the driver standings yet 45 points behind Norris. He was closer to Ocon in 11th than Norris in 6th. 

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Either Lando is real good or Danny isn’t. Ricciardo finished 8th in the driver standings yet 45 points behind Norris. He was closer to Ocon in 11th than Norris in 6th. 

Danny admittedly had an off year.  He had a hard time adjusting the particular driving style the car demands.  But with a year under his belt (and a new car next year), he should be better in 2022.  I do think Lando is very good.  I think Danny is just as good, if not better.

22 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Danny admittedly had an off year.  He had a hard time adjusting the particular driving style the car demands.  But with a year under his belt (and a new car next year), he should be better in 2022.  I do think Lando is very good.  I think Danny is just as good, if not better.

I think everyone likes Ricciardo but, the window will rapidly close for him if he does not drastically improve in 2022. Though not completely his fault you do have to go back to 2014 to when he last won three races in a season. And that was with Red Bull.

He won no races in 2015, one in 2016, one in 2017, two in 2018, none in 2019-20 and one in 2021. 

His two highest finishes in the points were third in 2014 & 2016.

I thought he did some good stuff this year but too often he was overshadowed by Lando. 

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I think everyone likes Ricciardo but, the window will rapidly close for him if he does not drastically improve in 2022. Though not completely his fault you do have to go back to 2014 to when he last won three races in a season. And that was with Red Bull.

He won no races in 2015, one in 2016, one in 2017, two in 2018, none in 2019-20 and one in 2021. 

His two highest finishes in the points were third in 2014 & 2016.

I thought he did some good stuff this year but too often he was overshadowed by Lando. 

Don't disagree with any of that.  I think he'll bounce back to form next year, but I'm a big fan of his.  We will see...

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Lando was comfortable in the car and with the team, and Ricciardo pretty clearly wasn't.  I'll be pretty surprised if Lando outdrives Danny in 2022.  

But if he does, I'll be okay with that, too.  I like Lando and wish him well.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Alonso thought it was perfectly safe to unlap while they were working to retrieve the car. Noted. 😉

Also, testing will be interesting but the biggest question - if the changes make following easier - won't really be answered until the lights go out in Bahrain.

Don’t shoot the messenger.  

Testing will be fun for sure

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Don't disagree with any of that.  I think he'll bounce back to form next year, but I'm a big fan of his.  We will see...

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Lando was comfortable in the car and with the team, and Ricciardo pretty clearly wasn't.  I'll be pretty surprised if Lando outdrives Danny in 2022.  

But if he does, I'll be okay with that, too.  I like Lando and wish him well.

Yep. Every car and every team are different, and there’s usually a learning curve. Daniel’s first year in Renault was an “adjustment” year before driving much better the second; he crushed Ocon last year.  He probably won’t crush Lando, but I think both he’ll perform much better next year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Fernando for Race Director?

My first thought as well. Even my 18 year old was yelling at the TV wondering if he was ever gonna let the lapped cars pass.

50 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I reckon if that driving thing doesn’t work out for him

An FIA spot could be cool for him, but I get the feeling he's in with Alpine for the long haul. Even after retirement.

Just tossing it out there for anyone is heading to Montreal, would love to hear about what flights you find. Finding stuff around $500, but times are pretty rough (has me arriving at 1 a.m.)

14 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just tossing it out there for anyone is heading to Montreal, would love to hear about what flights you find. Finding stuff around $500, but times are pretty rough (has me arriving at 1 a.m.)

Not sure many people would wanna do it the way I did it the first time, but I flew into Hartford, CT, then drove a rental to Montreal. Nice drive through upstate NY, and I saved a lot of money. It was by far my least expensive option because I did it all last minute.

Edited by wood

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

they could probably let alonso race direct while also driving

Seriously. The guy just seems to have a full grasp of everything going on in the race, all the time, even while on the limit.

Just saw where the TPs rated his season 5th best in F1, after being out of F1 for 2 years and coming into a new team/car.

ScrawnyJampackedIndri-size_restricted.gi

36 minutes ago, wood said:

Welp, as of today, ESPN channels are no longer available on Youtube TV. At least the F1 season is over. Hope they get this shit straight before next season.

Yeah, and all ESPN recordings in our libraries (i.e. every F1 event of the 2021 season in my case) vaporized. Hopefully they get restored when a deal gets done.  

They best sort this out soon. 

16 minutes ago, elfenix said:

they could probably let alonso race direct while also driving

It’s amazing just how good the great drivers are. I’d be using 100% of my brain to not get myself killed; Fernando, Lewis, Max, etc can plot everyone else’s race while driving flawlessly. 

1 hour ago, wood said:

Not sure many people would wanna do it the way I did it the first time, but I flew into Hartford, CT, then drove a rental to Montreal. Nice drive through upstate NY, and I saved a lot of money. It was by far my least expensive option because I did it all last minute.

Considered that. I also have SW points, so was thinking of flying to another city (Newark?) on Southwest and then hopping a flight on Air Canada.

So if Audi joins, that means 22 cars in the field, right? Any ideas how that might change things like qualifying? I guess you could still take the top 15 out of Q1, but I'm also thinking about traffic on some tracks during the first session. Adding two more cars to that mess would be something.

21 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So if Audi joins, that means 22 cars in the field, right? Any ideas how that might change things like qualifying? I guess you could still take the top 15 out of Q1, but I'm also thinking about traffic on some tracks during the first session. Adding two more cars to that mess would be something.

It depends on how they join - as a new team, taking over a team, or as just a PU constructor/supplier.

Edited by wood

According to a poster on another board that I trust, who has a good track record:

Audi will enter as their own works team & the entry fee will be waived. Porsche will come in as an engine supplier to existing teams. Audi would use rebranded Porsche engines. Audi are also still talking to McLaren about a complete buyout. And there is also a rumor of another car manufacturer also considering their own new team with a new entry (another VAG brand?).

FWIW. 

:wewillsee:

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Fun fact, McLaren tested it and was 2 seconds faster than with the Cosworth it had normally.

Ron Dennis chose the Peugeot V10 in the end (gross) for the MP4/9 because the Lamborghini was just too unreliable. The car is was just little longer than a standard MP4/8.

I can't imagine how unreliable the Lambo V12 was if they went with the Peugeot hand grenade.

Edited by faps

2 hours ago, deft said:

Am I the only one who just pays the $80/yr for F1TV?

Nope. I'm in that camp too. Figure it's $4-5 to watch a race weekend, so not bad. I don't really watch the rest of the catalog of content, but I like being able to watch a few minutes of Friday practice during lunch (which I don't think airs otherwise in the U.S.). Then watch qualifying and the race. 

I figure between it all, I watch 3-4 hours during a race weekend? 

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

FP1/2 does air for every race on one of the ESPN channels, FWIW.

YouTube TV records it all no matter the channel, which is nice.

Yeah (in case any of you are shopping tv services) the youtube tv interface, at least re: recording things, is pretty got damn nice. It just records that show every time it's on, on whatever network, old episodes and new ones. Then you can pick which version you want to watch. That's particularly nice when there's  version available from one of the movie channels without commercials. I'm new to YTTV, and there are some minor UI things I'd like to change, but overall, I'm very happy with it. Hard to beat unlimited DVR space & individual DVRs for all your family members, etc, too.

And yeah re: practice, I've been getting every session in my DVR, all season long, both on Goggle Fiber when I had it and now on YTTV.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

We've come a long way since the Speed days although I do miss Bob Varsha. 

And while we're talking a potential Porsche/Audi partnership it would be a mistake not to admire the one and only Turbo Panzer...  One of the most batshit crazy cars ever made at something close to 2000 hp/ton. Granted it was more of a partnership in name than actuality.

1973 Porsche 917/30 - Images, Specifications and Information

1973_Porsche_917_CanAm_Spyder_021.jpg

see a porsche 91730 without its top on

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So you guys that have gone through the rule changes in different eras before... are there likely to be some huge gaps between with the new car? I'd say right now the gap between the fastest and slowest car is something like two seconds over the course of a qualifying lap. Likely even closer if you toss out HAAS.

Is the first race likely to see something like 8-10 seconds? Or do teams generally get in the ballpark of each other?

1 hour ago, vicerous said:

We've come a long way since the Speed days although I do miss Bob Varsha. 

And while we're talking a potential Porsche/Audi partnership it would be a mistake not to admire the one and only Turbo Panzer...  One of the most batshit crazy cars ever made at something close to 2000 hp/ton. Granted it was more of a partnership in name than actuality.

1973 Porsche 917/30 - Images, Specifications and Information

1973_Porsche_917_CanAm_Spyder_021.jpg

see a porsche 91730 without its top on

Looks like my kids old racecar bed.  We got him a car radio so he can talk to other car beds. 

• Like 1

So you guys that have gone through the rule changes in different eras before... are there likely to be some huge gaps between with the new car? I'd say right now the gap between the fastest and slowest car is something like two seconds over the course of a qualifying lap. Likely even closer if you toss out HAAS.
Is the first race likely to see something like 8-10 seconds? Or do teams generally get in the ballpark of each other?

Not 8-10 seconds, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see 3-5.

The field spread only gets closer as regulations mature and stay the same.