Formula 1 2021

wood

Vettel finished with the most overtakes during the season so I expect big things from The German in 2022.

Also, just finished watching Schumacher on Netflix. His numbers would have been staggering if he had not resurrected Ferrari from the depths of hell. 

I will never forget the atmosphere when we were at Hockenheim for the 1995 race.  It was the most amazing crowd I was ever a part.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, wood said:

LOL. OK. You were as active in that discussion as anyone. 

Not on the "COTA sucks" side, which is what becomes the unbelievable beating around here. 

Look, you and I are cool, I genuinely like you, and we agree about 88.2% of the time.  But this Epstein/COTA hatred is a jihad for you, and there's a thread for that if you insist on spending paragraphs on it.

I've had a fantastic time at every single USGP at COTA I've ever attended (which is all of them), despite the issues, and I'm not going to say otherwise.  Many times in life, we find exactly what we're looking for, good or bad.

Edited by utee94

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Not on the "COTA sucks" side. 

Look, you and I are cool, I genuinely like you, and we agree about 88.2% of the time.  But this Epstein/COTA hatred is a jihad for you, and there's a thread for that if you insist on spending paragraphs on it.

I've had an fantastic time at every single USGP I've ever attended (which is all of them), despite the issues, and I'm not going to say otherwise.  Many times in life, we find exactly what we're looking for, good or bad.

Ah, ok. If you're defending COTA, all those posts don't count. And I should only respond to people talking about it if it's in the other thread.

Look, I didn't bring it up. Someone else did, and then you defended them. Why should I not respond? Jihad or not, name one thing I said that isn't accurate. JFC. Your COTA defense was just as much of a beating.

Edited by wood

1 minute ago, wood said:

Ah, ok. If you're defending COTA, all those posts don't count. Look, I didn't bring it up. Someone else did, and then you defended them. Why should I not respond? Jihad or not, name one thing I said that isn't accurate. JFC. Your COTA defense was just as much of a beating.

Yeah, saying you had a good time at a place is a fucking beating. I don't think it means, what you think it means.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, saying you had a good time at a place is a fucking beating. I don't think it means, what you think it means.

Sure, if that were all you said, but you said a lot more than that in their defense and then argued back with nonsense when I countered it. You got it rolling, and then kept it going as much as anyone. Stop bitching about me responding.

1 minute ago, wood said:

Sure, if that were all you said, but you said a lot more than that in their defense and then argued back with nonsense when I countered it. You got it rolling, and then kept it going as much as anyone. Stop bitching about me responding.

Holy shit, look at my posting history on this or the COTA thread.  I'm a moderate here, I'm not some blind COTA-defender.

Feel free to have the last word here if you like, and take it up on the proper thread.

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Holy shit, look at my posting history on this or the COTA thread.  I'm a moderate here, I'm not some blind COTA-defender.

Feel free to have the last word here if you like, and take it up on the proper thread.

LOL. You can say whatever the fuck you want. I dgaf. Just don't expect to post OT & then bitch about other people posting OT in response, without getting called on it. That's all. 

• Like 1

I don’t see Lewis retiring either. I’m not even sure he could take a sabbatical right now because of the talent already in F1 and the incoming talent. He’s going to feel really shitty about this for a month or two and then he’s going to realize he can get back on the horse and do something about it. He’ll be back and Max will be there waiting and hopefully we can get another epic season out of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, wood said:

In other news, apparently Lewis has unfollowed @F1 on instagram.

Lol.

Its kind of funny because a week ago I almost posted the question if anyone thought this was his last season. But upon reflection I think there is no way he retires, IG follows notwithstanding

I don’t know if I would race again if Massi was still there. The FIA would have to make some serious changes, starting with getting rid of the ability for the Race Director to over rule regulations.
You can’t plan a race when one of your variables is a moving target, because if a yellow comes out, there’s no telling what the guy might do.

That said - I hope he comes back, wins an 8th WDC and a 9th constructor as a big fuck you to Bernie and then hangs around and helps George win one. I’d like to see Merc crush Red Bull.

It would not surprise me if he did retire. He doesn't have anything else to prove to anyone. He is still risking his life every time he races, and although serious injury or death is much more rare than it used to be it is still a possibility. The french F2 driver a couple years ago and Grosjean's close call were both fairly recent examples.

With new regulations he can't be sure he is in the best car anymore and if you can't be in the best car in F1 you generally can't win much. I'm not sure Lewis could be content fighting over positions 7-10 like Alonso has been doing.

That said, I expect he will be back, Merc will still be great, and he will win one more while Merc still prioritizes him over George, then pass the baton to George after that.

Edited by Hawndoh
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Lol.

Its kind of funny because a week ago I almost posted the question if anyone thought this was his last season. But upon reflection I think there is no way he retires, IG follows notwithstanding

i think there was a pretty decent chance he if he won he would have driven off into the sunset

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, utee94 said:

There are lots of reasons to dislike COTA, but this complaint always makes me scratch my head.  It's not really a USGP/COTA thing.  They don't let you bring your own food and booze into football games in the USA.  They don't let you bring food and booze into baseball games in the USA.  They don't let you bring food and booze into basketball. soccer, or jai'alai games (probably) in the USA.  Why should the expectation be any different for the USGP?

My buddies and I snuck food and booze into COTA every day without issue.  Hell I brought to 6 packs in my backpack on raceday.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

My buddies and I snuck food and booze into COTA every day without issue.  Hell I brought to 6 packs in my backpack on raceday.  

Same here.  I often take an entire charcuterie board in, along with beers and vodka.  But we still end up buying a lot at the concession stand.  The Gus's chicken at COTA is great, even better than their brick and mortar restaurant downtown.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hawndoh said:

It would not surprise me if he did retire. He doesn't have anything else to prove to anyone. He is still risking his life every time he races, and although serious injury or death is much more rare than it used to be it is still a possibility. The french F2 driver a couple years ago and Grosjean's close call were both fairly recent examples.

With new regulations he can't be sure he is in the best car anymore and if you can't be in the best car in F1 you generally can't win much. I'm not sure Lewis could be content fighting over positions 7-10 like Alonso has been doing.

That said, I expect he will be back, Merc will still be great, and he will win one more while Merc still prioritizes him over George, then pass the baton to George after that.

Lewis is still in a great spot to win, probably better than any other driver, next year. While Merc won't be assured of having the best car, I still think they will still be ahead of Ferrari (we already documented their, sadly, Texas-esque issues) and Red Bull (seemingly went "all-in" on 2021).  Alpine (#TrustElPlan) and McLaren will be close enough to the front of the field to podium regularly but not close enough to contend. Your last comment is spot-on: he'll be the #1 driver for a few more seasons before Merc shifts to George.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Lewis is still in a great spot to win, probably better than any other driver, next year. While Merc won't be assured of having the best car, I still think they will still be ahead of Ferrari (we already documented their, sadly, Texas-esque issues) and Red Bull (seemingly went "all-in" on 2021).  Alpine (#TrustElPlan) and McLaren will be close enough to the front of the field to podium regularly but not close enough to contend. Your last comment is spot-on: he'll be the #1 driver for a few more seasons before Merc shifts to George.

I think the top teams will probably still be the top teams, but with new car regs, the pecking order is really anyone's guess. If a midfield team comes up with something ingenious, they could be out front in  a shocker a la Brawn GP. The cars should be able to follow better, which helps, and the further implem,entation of the budget cap should help keep development closer between teams. Gonna be interesting.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, faps said:

Alpine sacrificed 2021 to go full balls on their 2022 engine package if I recall correctly. I am pretty interested to see how they do next year, possible dark horse?

Yep. This year they were running a 2 year old car with a 3 year old engine. Their performance looks pretty good given that. They are quietly confident about what they have for next year. I think they feel like they have something competitive. Who knows?

11 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. This year they were running a 2 year old car with a 3 year old engine. Their performance looks pretty good given that. They are quietly confident about what they have for next year. I think they feel like they have something competitive. Who knows?

My first hope is Aston somehow pull some magic out, which I am not at all predicting. But seeing Fred mixing it up would be fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Tex48 said:

Hell, I just walked into Friday practice. Had tickets and everything, but didn't want to wait in line. Walked around looking for another entrance and there was just an open part of the fence where a road cut through that you could walk in.

18 hours ago, wood said:

So my kid just looked up Lewis's insta and he's not following F1, but tbh we don't know if he was following them recently or not. FWIW my friend who knows Lewis thinks he actually might retire. I don't really see it, but who knows.

Would crack me up if he does retire, although I doubt he will.  Who does Merc get for his seat at this late date?  Lots of young guys out there, but you've already got George and everyone you would want is under contract for 2022.

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Would crack me up if he does retire, although I doubt he will.  Who does Merc get for his seat at this late date?  Lots of young guys out there, but you've already got George and everyone you would want is under contract for 2022.

Ant Davidson drives the sim, right? LOL, maybe him. Will probably never happen, but they could do worse.

Edited by wood

5 hours ago, G650 said:

I'm actually pretty confident in McLaren next year and my boy Danny. Which probably dooms them to unmitigated failure, but so be it.

I think McLaren has one of the best driver duos on the grid.  If they can field a car that is competitive on most tracks, they can make some noise.