Formula 1 2021

wood

On 11/7/2021 at 12:46 PM, ConferenceRoom said:

Put Fernando in a Mercedes or a Red Bull and I guarantee you he’s top two at the end of the season.

Absolutely. 

22 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Think so? That defending he did a few races ago was awesome. Has he been outperforming in the Alpine? I feel like I rarely see mention of him in races because he's just cruising along in the mid-field.

Yep. 100% certain in my mind. Alonso is still an elite driver in F1.

Speaking of Alonso, those were some pretty cat-like reflexes avoiding Bottas at T1.

FDnRWGUWQAM65aP?format=jpg&name=900x900

22 hours ago, elfenix said:

Mexico car elevator > Indianapolis car elevator

Yeah I love the podium celebration being moved to the stadium at Hellmund's suggestion. That place is nuts all weekend, and then just blows up after the race.

24 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

So who does everyone think are the best current drivers if given identical cars?  Obviously Max and Lewis would be up there, but who else?  Alonso, Ricciardo, LeClerc, Sainz, Norris, maybe Gasly?  Is Seb still elite?

Imho no, Seb is no longer elite. 'Elite' is currently a category of 3, imho, with some young guns who haven't quite earned elite status but are headed that way quickly.

The tiers, IMHO...

Max

Alonso & Lewis

Lando, Leclerc, Ricciardo

Russell, Gasly, Vettel, Sainz

The rest.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

RE: Hamilton -- this is one reason why I don't really like him. He doesn't seem genuine, but a PR robot.

You're the 7X World Champion. Arguably the greatest that has ever lived. You don't have to go shit-talking people, but if you say something critical, you've earned that. You don't have to walk back any sort of comment that might possibly be interpreted as negative. Of course, I say that without someone trying to twist every single word I ever say into fodder for website clicks.

I do get the impression that LH is very thin-skinned. And I do think it's killing him to get booed at all these tracks. They were out in force in Mexico yesterday. That does have to be tough to take. Work your entire life to be the greatest and people don't like you. 

Meanwhile, Max after the Ocon altercation: "I don't really have a lot to comment on that, except that he was being a pussy."

I think he’s an awkward guy that doesn’t operate well when the cameras are on and he’s pressured to speak. When I met him in a shoe store at Barton Creek Mall in 2013 he was easy going and gracious with all the fans and just a completely different person than what you see at the track in front of the media. He signed my stupid McLaren team member card featuring him and Jenson even though he was a Merc driver and we laughed about it.

I can’t imagine coming up under Ron’s supervision and not having robotic tendencies drilled into you. I’ve definitely gotten frustrated with him before, during, and after races for the things he’s said, but he obviously cares about issues off-track and is willing to take a stand for them. It’s possible we won’t see a driver like him ever again so I just try to appreciate the appreciable things about him and watch history in the making.

I didn’t actually see or read his comments so I’m just basing the above off of his other foot in mouth moments.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

F1 introduces "Brundle clause" that restricts celebrity bodyguard grid access

Formula 1 has implemented the "Brundle clause" after Martin Brundle's recent run-in with Megan Thee Stallion's bodyguards in the United States.

"There have been new rules introduced, that any celebrities on the grid must not have bodyguards any longer," said Brundle.

"It must be the 'Brundle clause', and they're obliged to talk to me. I sort of like it if they ignore me, to be honest."

After being "biffed out of the way" by security for rapper Stallion in the US, Brundle tweeted that celebrity guests of the sport should "learn some manners and respect on our patch".

Good.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

I was just looking at this picture and suddenly realized something about Interlagos - It resembles a 'roval' because it is a roval. There's an outer ring that also runs along the straight. I dug a little, and it looks like that was actually used from the 50s to the 80s. Am I the only one who didn't know this?

FDw1vPTWQBUvdkG?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Would be even better if it were team/track personnel only. Why does Megan The Stallion or Ben Stiller need to be on the grid anyway?

Famous people from all over want to see and be seen on the grid before a race. It's part of the show, always has been and always will be. Sometimes there are assholes, sometimes there are great interviews, sometimes Martin gets told to fuck off. It's entertainment. If you don't like it, turn on the TV when the world feed starts. Pretty simple. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Famous people from all over want to see and be seen on the grid before a race. It's part of the show, always has been and always will be. Sometimes there are assholes, sometimes there are great interviews, sometimes Martin gets told to fuck off. It's entertainment. If you don't like it, turn on the TV when the world feed starts. Pretty simple. 

Sorry that I seemed to have offended you with saying I don't like celebrities on the grid. "Grid girls" were also a thing. Until they weren't. Same should be done with celebs.

1 minute ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I'm not big on bothering celebs asking for autographs or pics with them, etc, but yeah, I think it's fun, for the most part. The occasional cringe is part of that. I got to meet Robby Naish & snap this pic on pit lane in 2012. Possibly the most dominant athlete ever in a particular sport. 24x Windsurfing World Champ. Insane.

405083_555056364508913_1581859358_n.jpg?

Some more from the paddock ...

Dempsey & Dario

270193_555055421175674_1442553221_n.jpg?

Lucas & Checo's dad

65367_555055877842295_35709656_n.jpg?_nc

69. RIP.

215917_555056594508890_1510342131_n.jpg?

Hey, how you doin', Sir Jackie?

522289_552858551395361_819138863_n.jpg?_

He whose name shall not be spooken

604169_555055487842334_688853421_n.jpg?_

Opie.

74738_552388984775651_822128647_n.jpg?_n

Gordon Ramsey & Mrs. Wood, with Damon Hill looking confused

534046_555055694508980_1419876694_n.jpg?
Emmo. I have loads of pics of drivers & other F1 types in the paddock. This barely scratches the surface, but there are a lot, so I spoilered the rest.

Spoiler

378799_555053904509159_1409827469_n.jpg?

I always liked this pic of Stefano for some reason.

432227_555089761172240_1089404703_n.jpg?

Ron Dennis's 'village idiot'.

399336_555089684505581_190494157_n.jpg?_

Forza Fernando.

531134_552389154775634_1431633392_n.jpg?

Rain Man.

315841_555089964505553_1232664377_n.jpg?

DC prepping to talk to Lulu.

600428_555090244505525_1827484291_n.jpg?

Checo!

532355_552861084728441_1931995731_n.jpg?

JB.

558845_552388564775693_874183886_n.jpg?_

Sir Frank. Always going fast.

536595_552389194775630_109839861_n.jpg?_

• Hook 'Em 3

On 11/7/2021 at 2:48 PM, elfenix said:

This podium is better than Monza.

Negatory.  Danny Ric winning is always better than any combination of Lewis and/or Max.

1 hour ago, wood said:

A 'roval' is a road circuit that's built inside of an oval, and usually incorporates portions of the oval into the circuit. 

I guess the road course at Indy counts as a roval then?  Funny name, I'd never heard that before, but it fits.

• Hook 'Em 1

Celebrities belong on the grid.  In some of the pre-race, Lando mentioned it specifically, that he thinks it adds to both the chaos and the glamor.

Some of them don't want to talk and that's fine, they shouldn't be pushed or punished for it.  But some of them do grant interviews, and there have been some fun ones over the years.

In Austin, I realize he was there specifically promoting some F1/NBA crossover marketing, but Chris Bosh came across extremely well.  Pleasant, grounded, relatable.  I don't follow the NBA and don't know what he's perceived as elsewhere, but I was really impressed with his enthusiasm and respect for the sport of F1 and its participants.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Negatory.  Danny Ric winning is always better than any combination of Lewis and/or Max.

I guess the road course at Indy counts as a roval then?  Funny name, I'd never heard that before, but it fits.

Yep, technically the Indy road circuit is a roval as well. And re: Interlagos, check out this layout they used to run back in the 50's to the late 70s:

Interlagos%201970.b23fccc965759e1418774e

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep, technically the Indy road circuit is a roval as well. And re: Interlagos, check out this layout they used to run back in the 50's to the late 70s:

Interlagos%201970.b23fccc965759e1418774e

They should convince NASCAR to come out and just run the outer ring. :)

Always enjoy races at Interlagos, and now I'm pulling for Lewis to close up the gap and keep the WDC contest tight to the very end.  Rooting for Lewis makes me feel so... dirty. :)

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They should convince NASCAR to come out and just run the outer ring. :)

Always enjoy races at Interlagos, and now I'm pulling for Lewis to close up the gap and keep the WDC contest tight to the very end.  Rooting for Lewis makes me feel so... dirty. :)

I get it, but I just can't root for Merc to make it closer after what they they did to keep it close in the first place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I'm sure you can figure out the difference between grid girls and celebrities by yourself. I'm content knowing that yours is a minority opinion and most people who have spent any time watching non-Covid affected races appreciate the full spectacle of a Formula 1 grid. 

THEN BRING BACK GRID GIRLS!!

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm all for Grid Girls. They can look classy and add some spice at the same time.

Idiot celebrities add very little. Now, Ronny Howard made a terrific movie about racing. I don't count him in that list of idiots. If they can add something, like Patrick Dempsey has done with his racing, then sure. But the rest of them I care nothing about.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I'm all for Grid Girls. They can look classy and add some spice at the same time.

Idiot celebrities add very little. Now, Ronny Howard made a terrific movie about racing. I don't count him in that list of idiots. If they can add something, like Patrick Dempsey has done with his racing, then sure. But the rest of them I care nothing about.

You don't but race sponsors and promoters do and there are some viewers that like seeing that crowd there. I like watching Martin navigate his way through the grid and try to extract something entertaining out of whoever he meets whether it's former drivers, Matt LeBlanc, Usain Bolt, or whoever.

They definitely need to keep them away from the flag box and from post race interviews. Special guests and dignitaries handing off trophies is fine. But forcing Selena Williams onto Max in Monaco and having some asshole supermodel or whatever she was wave the checkered flag on the wrong lap is really stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Lots of fans like the celebrities.  They've been around forever and are part of the experience.  They're not going anywhere.  As suggested before, if you don't like them, then don't turn on the TV until the world feed begins and you see lights-out.

I do however like the new Brundle rule. Celebrity sightings are fun, celebrity entourages are not.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I don't give a shit about celebrities so I go grab a snack and drink when they move from team/driver interviews to that stuff. 

But the advice above to not tune in until after that stuff is faulty because if you do then you'll miss some actual racing stuff. Best plan I've figured out is to DVR everything and sit down about 20 minutes before race time. Then you can watch the racing stuff and fast forward through BS and commercials and just about catch up at lights out. 

Edited by Huckleberry

Celebs in the crowd? Sure. Celebs in the garage? Sure. Awkward celeb encounters on the grid 10 minutes before the race when they don't know anything about F1? 👎 It's pure cringe.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't give a shit about celebrities so I go grab a snack and drink when they move from team/driver interviews to that stuff. 

But the advice above to not tune in until after that stuff is faulty because if you do then you'll miss some actual racing stuff. Best plan I've figured out is to DVR everything and sit down about 20 minutes before race time. Then you can watch the racing stuff and fast forward through BS and commercials and just about catch up at lights out. 

The advice is not to watch something that clearly bothers you, because it's not going to change.  You've figured out how to do so in a manner that works for you, which is great.

25 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Celebs in the crowd? Sure. Celebs in the garage? Sure. Awkward celeb encounters on the grid 10 minutes before the race when they don't know anything about F1? 👎 It's pure cringe.

Then follow the advice given multiple times and don't watch it. It's not going anywhere.

• Like 1