Formula 1 2021

wood

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

I don't worry nearly as much as you do about the State of Texas subsidy.  I mean sure, Bobby Epstein is a grimy little pimp that fudges the numbers, but there's no doubt that the event is bringing in substantially more than the state is spending, which is the entire point of the subsidy.

TX-OU weekend is estimated to bring in almost $40M to the city of Dallas, and that's an event that a huge number of people day-trip for.  I'd be surprised if even a lightly attended USGP at COTA doesn't bring in twice that to COTA+Austin+surrounding areas.

You're probably right about that, and $75-150M is right in line with other  GPs - even the biggest ones. Here's the thing, though. Epstein doesn't claim $80M or even $150M. This year he's claiming $900M  lol.  Not a typo.

48 minutes ago, Updawg said:

But how much is out of state money? This year and the first are good but

In the past they've claimed anywhere from 40-60+%. 40 is believable. 60 is ridiculous. But that's not where it stops. Everything is exaggerated and then multiplied by something else that's also exaggerated. The exaggerate the number of hotel nights. They exaggerate the number of days people stay. They exaggerate the amount that each visitor spends per day (something like $1500+ per person, per day, last time I checked. Complete nonsense, and when you get done multiplying all of these inflated numbers times one another, the difference is massive. It's how you get to $900M economic impact claims.

Edited by wood

5 minutes ago, wood said:

This will really motivate Bottas to be a team player for the next couple of months....

Bottas ‘certainly not a phenomenon,’ says Wolff    www.planetf1.com/news/toto-wolff-valtteri-bottas-level/

Toto is nothing if not blunt.  

15 minutes ago, wood said:

You're probably right about that, and $75-150M is right in line with other  GPs - even the biggest ones. Here's the thing, though. Epstein doesn't claim $80M or even $150M. This year he's claiming $900M  lol.  Not a typo.

Oh I hear you, but the subsidy is still capped, isn't it?  So it doesn't really matter what he claims.  But definitely, please correct me if that's wrong.  

21 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Oh I hear you, but the subsidy is still capped, isn't it?  So it doesn't really matter what he claims.  But definitely, please correct me if that's wrong.  

I don't think it's capped. This year they are asking for more than ever - $35M. Past years have been in the $22-27M range & I'm pretty sure $27M is the most they've ever gotten til now. In 2012, they got around $25M. In 2019, they got about $23M.

Edited by wood

This will really motivate Bottas to be a team player for the next couple of months....
Bottas ‘certainly not a phenomenon,’ says Wolff    www.planetf1.com/news/toto-wolff-valtteri-bottas-level/
We'll see if George can outperform Bottas. Definitely not a foregone conclusion.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

These North America races are throwing off my internal F1 clock. I’m used to streaming FP1 during my Friday morning workout. Pulled up the ESPN app this morning and saw FP1’s not til like 1:00. 

No doubt.  I also like waking up to the race on Sunday, rather than having it compete with the Dallas Cowboys game... :)

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

These North America races are throwing off my internal F1 clock. I’m used to streaming FP1 during my Friday morning workout. Pulled up the ESPN app this morning and saw FP1’s not til like 1:00. 

Just saw basically the same post over on the Autosport race buildup thread. Is that you?

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

100%. Make F1 European again. I like having a race at 8 a.m. That's the beauty. Wake up, watch an 1.5 hour sporting event with no commercials, go about my day. I don't have time for 4 hour football games that beat you over the head with Dr Pepper ads.

17 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
19 hours ago, wood said:

We'll see if George can outperform Bottas. Definitely not a foregone conclusion.

Apparently George has been given “the rules.” 

Rule The First: Thou shalt not compete with Saint Lewis.

Rule The Second: Re-read Rule The First.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/george-russell-lewis-hamilton-boundaries/

19 hours ago, wood said:

Bottas ‘certainly not a phenomenon,’ says Wolff   

www.planetf1.com/news/toto-wolff-valtteri-bottas-level/

Daymn. Valtteri isn’t WDC level, but the dude has been fast enough to win on Lewis’ rare “off days” and help the team win four WDCs only for Toto to yank his pants down on the way out the door. I’ll be really disappointed if he doesn’t go rogue at some point. 

26 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

wellhesgermanso.jpg.47a5912e680549a5ad83e2afa1000b84.jpg

Technically Austrian, but point taken. One of my uncles did a lot of overseas work with TI back in the 90s and 00s, and I remember him saying the Austrians fit the “German” stereotype more than the Germans. He vastly preferred dealing with the Germans & traveling to Germany. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah I kinda like F1 as a niche sport here...

I cringe for the day that Stephen A Smith is arguing on ESPN about Formula 1.  I also cringe for pre-race shows and analysis everywhere. I hope that day never comes here. I like that if I seek out F1, it's there, but it's not always in my face like football.

I also love knowing I can turn on the TV at 7:55, see the 30 second F1 intro, see the aerial shots of the track and that at 8:00 exactly they will show the Rolex and the cars start moving. 

There's no "Game starts at 6" when it doesn't really kick off until 6:24 or something.

9 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I cringe for the day that Stephen A Smith is arguing on ESPN about Formula 1.  I also cringe for pre-race shows and analysis everywhere. I hope that day never comes here. I like that if I seek out F1, it's there, but it's not always in my face like football.

I also love knowing I can turn on the TV at 7:55, see the 30 second F1 intro, see the aerial shots of the track and that at 8:00 exactly they will show the Rolex and the cars start moving. 

There's no "Game starts at 6" when it doesn't really kick off until 6:24 or something.

All of this.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, topochico said:

I would imagine that if he is ordered to let Lewis take the lead,  Max and Checo may "inadvertently" slip past him as well. Toto has some plan in place to screw Bottas in the pit if necessary. 

I’m thinking a 10 second stop because of trouble changing a tire.

Can someone explain the tire situation for the teams with grid penalties?  I was confused by the broadcasters. 

Since Lando and Yuki made Q3 will they start on their Q2 tires from the back of the grid?

Does a driver who fails to make Q3 but is bumped to the top ten still have free tire choice? (I think yes?)

I don't know the rulebook, but I know that if you make Q3, you start on the tires you posted your fastest Q2 time on.

So I would think that Lando/Yuki have to start on Q2 tires since they made Q3. If someone got bumped to top 10, but didn't make Q3, then I'd assume they have free choice. 

Is there anyone else on the grid except for Max/Lewis that seems like a world champion? It's so hard to tell given the differences in equipment, but those two are obviously on just another level. I guess if they weren't in the picture, someone would have to win, but no one seems really on the same plane right now. But who seems the most like a championship driver if they had the right car?

Lando? Fast driver, but I don't know that he's mature enough to do it week-in and week-out, especially in a close battle.
Leclerc? To me he seems to have a lot of mistakes/offs
Ricciardo? Maybe? Seems solid, but not real consistent in results? May have to do with three teams in four years.
Gasly? Seems cast aside after RB, but is doing well at Alpha. 
Russell? No idea. Seems like a great driver but no idea until he gets into the Merc.

Stupid question, but when does the actual race start today? ESPN has it listed at 2pm Eastern. But last night ABC ran a promo saying 1230. I find it hard to believe that they're dedicating 90 minutes to the pre-race show. With the time change, I'm all mixed up.

16 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Stupid question, but when does the actual race start today? ESPN has it listed at 2pm Eastern. But last night ABC ran a promo saying 1230. I find it hard to believe that they're dedicating 90 minutes to the pre-race show. With the time change, I'm all mixed up.

Race is 2 eastern. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Formula 1 web page has a nice countdown clock that will set to your time zone. They do it for all races and sessions so you don’t need to bust out the world clock to know when p2 starts  

https://www.formula1.com/en.html

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Is there anyone else on the grid except for Max/Lewis that seems like a world champion? It's so hard to tell given the differences in equipment, but those two are obviously on just another level. I guess if they weren't in the picture, someone would have to win, but no one seems really on the same plane right now. But who seems the most like a championship driver if they had the right car?
Lando? Fast driver, but I don't know that he's mature enough to do it week-in and week-out, especially in a close battle.
Leclerc? To me he seems to have a lot of mistakes/offs
Ricciardo? Maybe? Seems solid, but not real consistent in results? May have to do with three teams in four years.
Gasly? Seems cast aside after RB, but is doing well at Alpha. 
Russell? No idea. Seems like a great driver but no idea until he gets into the Merc.

Put Fernando in a Mercedes or a Red Bull and I guarantee you he’s top two at the end of the season.