Formula 1 2021

wood

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Stupid question, but when does the actual race start today? ESPN has it listed at 2pm Eastern. But last night ABC ran a promo saying 1230. I find it hard to believe that they're dedicating 90 minutes to the pre-race show. With the time change, I'm all mixed up.

Sounds like the ratings warrant a 90 minute pre race show. This is a big day for F1 in America. Putting a non Austin race on big boy ABC head to head with the NFL. Dedicating massive airtime to the build up. This is bad ass. 

Edited by Jive Turkey

Sounds like the ratings warrant a 90 minute pre race show. This is a big day for F1 in America. Putting a non Austin race on big boy ABC head to head with the NFL. Dedicating massive airtime to the build up. This is bad ass. 

Since the switch to ESPN I think all the North American races have been on ABC, certainly Canada and United States. Man I miss Canada; my favorite track.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Put Fernando in a Mercedes or a Red Bull and I guarantee you he’s top two at the end of the season.

Think so? That defending he did a few races ago was awesome. Has he been outperforming in the Alpine? I feel like I rarely see mention of him in races because he's just cruising along in the mid-field.

So ABC/ESPN broadcast a 90 minute pre-race show (which was nice), but then immediately bail post-race for… what exactly? I would think sticking with the post race coverage for at least 30 minutes would’ve gotten them far higher ratings than whatever garbage they had to so urgently switch to.

• Like 1

Need more tire differentiation. The difference between the compounds isn’t enough to lead to any competing strategies. The medium never falls off enough for the hard to catch etc etc. except for the occasional blow out. The soft might as well be a Qualy only tire for half the circuits. 

Race was over after the first lap (as far as excitement goes )

• Hook 'Em 1

Checo’s dad hugged him when he got out of the car and said “¡No mames, no mames!” Which basically means “get the fuck out of here!”

He couldn’t pass Lewis but it was a great result for a great country.

In this case, more like “holy shit, holy shit (you did it!)”.

Lol

No mames can mean a billion thing tho haha
  • Like 1

For you long-timers -- what should I know about Brazil?

For some reason I am a fan of the track but I think I've only watched one race held there.

I think I like the simpler, flowing tracks. At this point the Red Bull Ring is my favorite, followed by Interlagos. Flowing tracks with good elevation change.

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

For you long-timers -- what should I know about Brazil?

For some reason I am a fan of the track but I think I've only watched one race held there.

I think I like the simpler, flowing tracks. At this point the Red Bull Ring is my favorite, followed by Interlagos. Flowing tracks with good elevation change.

It seems simple, but at the same time it's very technical with changing cambers, uphill & downhill braking, etc. No two turns are driven the same way, etc. Drive it on a game or sim & you see what I mean. You're constantly off balance and have to stay on your toes. It's a lot like Suzuka in that regard.

18 hours ago, kevwun said:

Checo may have pushed his tires a little too hard closing the gap on Hamilton.

Yep, I think it was always gonna be tough to both catch Lewis from that far back, and pass him once he got there - having to use up his tires cutting down that gap. 

4 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Brazil is a great track. There have been some amazing races there. Look up Max in the rain there a few years ago. That was an unreal drive.

don't look up max leading and ocon trying to unlap himself there a few years ago

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Need more tire differentiation. The difference between the compounds isn’t enough to lead to any competing strategies. The medium never falls off enough for the hard to catch etc etc. except for the occasional blow out. The soft might as well be a Qualy only tire for half the circuits. 

Race was over after the first lap (as far as excitement goes )

Yep. Who knows? Maybe next year's cars will shake it up and promote some good following/racing. That's what they're supposed to do, but we'll see.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Dutch said:

So ABC/ESPN broadcast a 90 minute pre-race show (which was nice), but then immediately bail post-race for… what exactly? I would think sticking with the post race coverage for at least 30 minutes would’ve gotten them far higher ratings than whatever garbage they had to so urgently switch to.

Yeah, I'm really glad ESPN picked up the Sky coverage & Mothers lets us watch it without interruption. And btw re: Sky's coverfage, I know we get irritated by how Hammy-centric it is, but I got to thinking the other day - if we had an American F1 broadcast crew and an American in a top car, it would be just as bad, and maybe worse. Some of the Sky guys carry a bias, but even with that, imho they still put out by far the best F1 broadcast product that I've ever seen.

And FUCK NBC. 

20 hours ago, Austinvines said:

Checo’s dad hugged him when he got out of the car and said “¡No mames, no mames!” Which basically means “get the fuck out of here!”

He couldn’t pass Lewis but it was a great result for a great country.

Yeah it made me very happy to watch the Mexican fans celebrating Checo the way they did. He's a good guy and deserves his success, and Mexico is indeed a great country with great people and culture. Can't wait to get back, probably for Spring Break, and now Mrs. Wood (no pics) is talking about wanting to go to MxC for the race and Dia de Muertos.

So I got that goin' for me ... which is nice.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1