Formula 1 2021

wood

That clip sure brings back some memories! Flava Flav in the house, too. And apparently he's coming back to F1.  Some rumors out there that he's headed back to Alpine/Renault, but it's looking more like that's gonna be Ottmar. What I was told is that Flavio may be working for F1 in their Hospitality division. 

Apparently Haas's engines are missing in the delays ... not that that would make them any slower.

44 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Why would the planes be in Miami?

It seems it's because the altitude & thinner air (thus less lift) in Mexico City prohibits the planes to be loaded fully with fuel - so they can't make the 10 hour flight to Sao Paulo. They either have to go short on fuel and route via Miami or drop some cargo to be replaced with fuel, but use more planes. I guess the Miami route is the least expensive of the 2.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

More detailed explanation of the Brazil snafu from an Autosport poster:

"Basically there are 5 chartered 747s for F1 handling the cargo, 2 for whatever reason flew through MIA but got delayed, 3 others flew through central/South American airports (San Jose and Lima) and made it on time. Not sure why 2 of them went through MIA but I do know MIA is a big maintenance hub for a lot of cargo operators, maybe the planes had tech issues.

As for how much less can be loaded onto a 747 in MEX, the cargo itself is the same, it’s just a question of fuel weight/load. They’d adjust the max takeoff weight to suit the air density/runway length etc, and the reduction in fuel carried compared to a cool takeoff from sea level can reduce the plane’s range by a huge amount, maybe up to 30%, certainly enough to require a fuel stop. It’s not just the reduced lift at the same speed, it’s that the engines produce less thrust with thinner air so it takes longer to get up to take off speed."

Edited by wood

48 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

The sprint sets the grid for the GP. Qualifying sets the gird for the sprint. Finkle is Einhorn.

Shaka, when the walls fell.

I tried to watch the pre-race show on ESPN On-Demand and it was all screwed up.  First hour was just studio interviews, and then it started in with the normal show but cut short at around 8 minutes into that, during an interview with Phil.  Weird.

Regarding engine penalties, anyone know the penalty for each part? Is this a 5 place, 10 place, or a start at the back of the field thing?

I will say that Hamilton charging through the field from the back in Brazil would be must-see TV.

So it should just be 5 spots then, right?  Since it's #5 out of 3 allowed? 

Also, I'm gonna be screwed on watching the sprint qualifying session tomorrow, since it's on ESPNews.  Anyone know of live or recorded stream or torrent that would be available somewhere?

I've missed the past couple qualys as well, for the same reason, and just had to watch the highlights on Youtube.  But I'd like to catch the Sprint in its entirety if possible.

Regarding engine penalties, anyone know the penalty for each part? Is this a 5 place, 10 place, or a start at the back of the field thing?
I will say that Hamilton charging through the field from the back in Brazil would be must-see TV.

It’s a 5 place penalty, applied after the sprint race for the starting race grid.

So it should just be 5 spots then, right?  Since it's #5 out of 3 allowed? 
Also, I'm gonna be screwed on watching the sprint qualifying session tomorrow, since it's on ESPNews.  Anyone know of live or recorded stream or torrent that would be available somewhere?
I've missed the past couple qualys as well, for the same reason, and just had to watch the highlights on Youtube.  But I'd like to catch the Sprint in its entirety if possible.

May be able to watch on the ESPN app with your cable provider? It’s possible it would allow you to watch there.

Just now, Anton Chigurh said:

May be able to watch on the ESPN app with your cable provider? It’s possible it would allow you to watch there.

Unfortunately, it doesn't.  It checks your subscription and knows which channels you get, and don't get.  I get ESPN and ESPN2 so it allows me those, plus anything that's on ESPN3 (which is where ABC stuff falls as well).

But ESPNews, Deportes, and the Ocho, are all off limits for me.  

I will say that every now and then, the filter breaks down and I can sneak in some viewing.  I watched qualy a few weeks back in Spanish on ESPN Deportes because for some reason it failed to block me that day.  Good thing yo hablo espanol un poquito.

But usually, it works correctly and blocks me out.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm an F1TV subscriber. I think you can sign up for $10 a month. Between the ads and weird shit that goes on with pirated streams, it's worth not having the hassle.

I especially like that it doesn't cut to commercials between the Qualifying sessions, you get to see various replays and hear team radios. Be warned though, you're not getting Sky's analysis feed either (SkyPad), so you'll just hear people like Ant, Karun, or Paul talking but not see what they're describing. 

The content is worth the price. 

29 minutes ago, elfenix said:

if you only need the engine for a few races you can burn it up faster. 

It does rather seem that’s Merc’s strategy, doesn’t it. A five-place grid penalty doesn’t seem it will hinder Lewis too much this weekend, esp if he wins the sprint race and the extra point(s).

Two sprint races so far this year, two Ham-Ver collisions in the GP. Do they make it three for three?

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

It does rather seem that’s Merc’s strategy, doesn’t it. A five-place grid penalty doesn’t seem it will hinder Lewis too much this weekend, esp if he wins the sprint race and the extra point(s).

Two sprint races so far this year, two Ham-Ver collisions in the GP. Do they make it three for three?

Fingers crossed!

• Hook 'Em 1