2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

24 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Rumors (stress rumors) are the Clippers are trying to get into the top 10 because they want to be aggressive tonight and make their best offer for Kawhi tonight.  The Clippers best offer revolves around their lottery picks so tonight is the night for them unless they happen to draft some guys who the Spurs covet as well....

As a Spurs fan, do you think they're ready to move him this quickly, or do you think they'll take a more patient approach?

28 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

As a Spurs fan, do you think they're ready to move him this quickly, or do you think they'll take a more patient approach?

15 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Id say if they are offered a top 5 pick he'll get moved tonight. if not, maybe at the deadline then..

All depends on what Kawhi said to Pop during their meeting this week. Wonder about Memphis, who is apparently doing everything they can to trade #4 since nobody seemingly wants to play for them. They think they're a 50-win team with healthy Gasol (the good one) and Conley. Leonard would make them very interesting but, again, it'd be a one-year rental most likely. I'd love Doncic but the Hawks are rumored to be infatuated with him as well, unless you buy the stories that it's a smokescreen to convince the Mavs to move up.

You guys must've not watched the same GS team I did this year.  I'm a die hard Spurs fan and I didn't think we had a chance against them - even if we had Leonard back from a major injury.  Anyhow - I don't think for a second that the Spurs organization had any intention of bringing Kawhi back early.  The team was playing well, and was competitive up until the Playoffs.   

I saw a GS team about to lose to Houston before Paul went down. Spurs would not be favored, and would need better LMA-Leonard chemistry and Danny Green to hit shots. But they could run a variety of defenses against them. A full complement Spurs team would’ve been tough. Not favored but fully capable of winning a series against the Rockets or Warriors.

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Sounds like you’re also advocating for Wiggins just needing a change of scenery [/Minnesota].

People act like Brandon Ingram has star potential, but I don’t really see it.  I don’t know ... maybe Wall, Beal and Otto Porter in Washington really would be better for a different team?

Wiggins is one of the most overrated players in the league with a terrible contract. I hope we stay far away from Wiggins. 

42 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Sounds like you’re also advocating for Wiggins just needing a change of scenery [/Minnesota].

People act like Brandon Ingram has star potential, but I don’t really see it.  I don’t know ... maybe Wall, Beal and Otto Porter in Washington really would be better for a different team?

Beal is a nice thought. He's good and young.

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This has been heavily reported...... Personally, I don't think we were prepared or had done our due diligence on a top 5 pick despite speculation.  12/13?  A little different considering we select in the general area.

Might've been interested in that one honestly since at least the Clips have a snowball's chance at signing him long term. I might have asked for next year's #1 too. I know next-to-nothing about Harris.

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Think I’ve locked myself into wanting Zhaire.

A lot of different directions but we need a wing IMO unless PATFO know we have some guys coming back.  Another guy we've been attached to is Robert Williams from aggy.  Good defensive player and rebounder, not much offensive game.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

A lot of different directions but we need a wing IMO unless PATFO know we have some guys coming back.  Another guy we've been attached to is Robert Williams from aggy.  Good defensive player and rebounder, not much offensive game.

Meh. Don’t think you need that big anymore to play in the Association, unless it’s somebody like Embiid. I want versatile wings.

Harris is a decent player. We could use more of those right now. Of course, LAC didn't take Porter, so his upside doesn't come into play now on a potential swap of assets. 

Regardless, I don't know what to think any more. Seems we're doing our usual observing of other teams drafting the good players while we sit back...not knowing how many viable players we even have on the roster now. All I'm sure of is that we're short on talent, and were about to be before the Kawhi fiasco began. 

PICK

Spurs Logo

Lonnie Walker IV

SG | MIAMI (FL)

This is terrific value for San Antonio, who land a potential starting-caliber shooting guard who wasn’t expected to be available at their selection. He’s a fantastic athlete with real upside as a scorer and will be in a great situation for his development with the Spurs. According to league sources, some teams were concerned with Walker’s medical, which played a small role in this situation, but the issues had to do more with his long-term durability than any immediate injury risk. Walker’s athletic, slashing style of play could eventually give the Spurs a dangerous offensive dimension.

On 6/16/2018 at 2:56 AM, Braff Zacklin said:

Haven't misjudged a person this grossly since my ex.

Well, in all fairness we know that in the case of the opposite sex, opinions can be blurred while chasing after tail... There's more clarity in weeding out pinheads in sports...