2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Wait you guys think that those three are going to stay cohesive and together for six-plus years?

I would be a near-infinite amount of money that those three won't all be on the nets in 2027. Literal free money.

Its a decent bet on HOU's part cause I do expect them to implode in one way or another.  That said, I still dont expect any of those to be any higher than 20-25 over the next 3-4 yrs.    Then they are hoping that BKN fails in rebuilding post this big 3 and craters completely and they maybe get a top 10 pick in 5 yrs.    I know their hands were tied to some degree but what they got is not nearly enough for a player of Harden's stature.   They got an expiring contract and what looks to be 4 late 1sts.   They got worked.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

How about late-2022?

I actually think they'll be pretty compatible for about a year. They'll bond over being misunderstood and thinking the media is out to get them. But if they don't have a title by next June, that shit is going sideways quick.

Well the hilarious part about this is all 3 players have player options in 2022/23 for $135 million dollars on the table.  Given the way Covid has fucked up the free agent markets I doubt real seriously there is a snowballs chance in hell that they would get anything close to that on the open market so they are essentially as good as locked in for that season and by then I can only imagine how acrimonious it will be with the two top divas in the league mixed in with a thin skinned petulant super star who is angry that he only ever won titles with Steph, Klay, & Dray.

Should be entertaining and yes I do realize Brooklyn can reload in full by 2023/24 but that is no guarantee.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Four late first rounders.    They will fill in their roster with vets that wanna try to win a ring after buyout season starts and min guys 

Not necessarily. That lose picks are owed over what- 8 years?  They might end up being high picks by the ass end of that deal. But yeah- if the nets stay good it’s no big deal losing a bunch of late 1st rounders. 

Just now, BradInATX said:
1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:
Steve Nash has his a pretty difficult job.  Championship expectations and two of the biggest divas in the league.  Good luck Steve.

Two?

KD has never not shown up for work because he’s mad.  He’s on a lower tier than Beard and Kyrie.

• Hook 'Em 1

No. I think that Brooklyn, right behind the Lakers, is the premiere free agent destination in the league and that even if they blow it up by then they will be able to attract the next disgruntled free agent superstar. 

That's interesting. Why do you think that? Durant and Irving were a one time thing. Have we seen them get other big free agents?

I probably get where you're coming from. NY market is attractive, Knicks ain't it and won't ever be, attractive ownership with deep pockets. It's a reasonably not insane prediction but I'd like to see it happen post-KD. It's more about the players - see Miami post Heatles, Lakers post-Kobe, etc. Lots of teams have been where the Nets are today and spent a lot of time wandering the desert a few years later.

Things change fast in the NBA.

KD has never not shown up for work because he’s mad.  He’s on a lower tier than Beard and Kyrie.

Agreed. Two and a half is probably fair.

I'd take it even further and say that Harden is on a different tier too. Kyrie is in his own tier altogether and he is the only player in the league in that tier.

Harden is a very positive asset, warts aside. Kyrie isn't.

3 hours ago, d2o said:

Its a lotta picks.   Its not a huge haul.  Levert is the only player of note they are getting.

This is probably right.  2024 or 26 picks could end up being good but otherwise, it's a bunch of picks out of the lottery without injury.  Oladipo looks healthy but the Rockets have a bunch 3rd guys now.  Wood, Wall and Dipo are all 3rds (maybe 4ths) on a championship squad.  They do have some draft picks again though.  The haul is TBD really because those picks are so far in the future.  Harden looks so fat.  He really needs to drop weight.

Going for the triple post here. I haven't been following this season closely except the Spurs and a few games here and there. Definitely not the off court stuff. Did Houston even want Kyrie? Or did they straight up say "nah y'all keep Kyrie and give us every other player and pick you have"?

14 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Going for the triple post here. I haven't been following this season closely except the Spurs and a few games here and there. Definitely not the off court stuff. Did Houston even want Kyrie? Or did they straight up say "nah y'all keep Kyrie and give us every other player and pick you have"?

The original reports were that HOU was insisting on Kyrie being a part of the deal.    This is why its rather convenient that Kyrie went and made himself untradeable right around the same time harden decided he was gonna half ass it to force HOU's hand

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I meant trading unprotected firsts is a big risk...trading like 4 of them is crazy

Sure. But KG and Pierce were essentially washed by the time they ever played a game for Brooklyn. Harden is a legitimate superstar (which Pierce never was, anyway) still in his prime.

Wow.  The only thing I know for sure is that I think the Cavs did great to get Allen.  He's only 22 years old, and I think he's going to continue to improve.  He'll always be a good influence and story hopefully for St. Stephens.  I really wonder how Harden and Kyrie will coexist well with how they both play, but it's hard to pass up the chance to get three players of this caliber on the same team.  But now they have three non-elite defenders and DeAndre Jordan (who was rightfully benched for Allen) in their starting lineup.  But man, they should be fun to watch and their offense should be pretty scary.  They'll want to add a backup big, and they might want to try and get another wing defender.  I really wonder if Philly passed on a deal, and what it was to have some kind of comparison, but we might not find out.      

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, UTDD said:

Wow.  The only thing I know for sure is that I think the Cavs did great to get Allen.  He's only 22 years old, and I think he's going to continue to improve.  He'll always be a good influence and story hopefully for St. Stephens.  I really wonder how Harden and Kyrie will coexist well with how they both play, but it's hard to pass up the chance to get three players of this caliber on the same team.  But now they have three non-elite defenders and DeAndre Jordan (who was rightfully benched for Allen) in their starting lineup.  But man, they should be fun to watch and their offense should be pretty scary.  They'll want to add a backup big, and they might want to try and get another wing defender.  I really wonder if Philly passed on a deal, and what it was to have some kind of comparison, but we might not find out.      

KD has been a + defender for a little while now.  I haven’t watched enough this year to say if that’s still the case post-injury, but a little reading leads me to believe that it probably is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

KD has been a + defender for a little while now.  I haven’t watched enough this year to say if that’s still the case post-injury, but a little reading leads me to believe that it probably is.

He's a very good defender. Harden and Kyrie are not, however. 

1 hour ago, UTDD said:

The Nets really made chicken shit out of chicken salad here.

55 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He's a very good defender. Harden and Kyrie are not, however. 

I don't agree that he is a very good defender (just to be fair I would equate very good as a Top 20ish defender in the league) but pretty solid, but I do agree it's very unfair to lump him in with Kyrie and Harden.  I think Durant for the most part (except I think two years maybe) correctly has been on zero All-NBA Defensive teams his entire career, but he's looked very healthy this year.  Harden and Kyrie on the other hand haven't really shown much in their careers, and I don't expect that to change.  

Edited by UTDD
d

25 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Can one of you KD guys break down what the Nets have left roster wise? The big 3, deandre jordan, and Steve Nash are the new starting 5 I presume?

Bruce Brown is a young combo guard that has looked good in their past 2 games and flashed some upside. Reggie Perry is another young guy that got a bit of run tonight at PF and played well. Jeff Green is contributing a bit but probably not someone they want getting serious minutes or playing crunch time. 

Timothee Luwawu Cabarot and Landry Shamet are both fairly interchangeable vet wings that can be capable scorers at times but don't move the needle much.

Probably their best remaining piece is Joe Harris who is a vet SF that can hit from outside and play pretty good D. 

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Bruce Brown is a young combo guard that has looked good in their past 2 games and flashed some upside. Reggie Perry is another young guy that got a bit of run tonight at PF and played well. Jeff Green is contributing a bit but probably not someone they want getting serious minutes or playing crunch time. 

Timothee Luwawu Cabarot and Landry Shamet are both fairly interchangeable vet wings that can be capable scorers at times but don't move the needle much.

Probably their best remaining piece is Joe Harris who is a vet SF that can hit from outside and play pretty good D. 

I mean I know most of those guys (don't know Cabarot or Reggie Perry). I guess looking for more of an updated depth chart. I'm assuming they're going to have to bring in some vets or G-Leaguers just to have enough bodies?

31 minutes ago, Llogg said:

The Nets really made chicken shit out of chicken salad here.

My honest thought is...I don't know.  But from a pure value perspective, they didn't have to give up Dinwiddie (injured but still for down the road good) or Harris.  Allen is a big loss for them, but hard to pass up getting Harden.  I guess we'll see.  Underrated aspect on this trade too is that OKC owns a few Houston picks down the road that might have gotten more valuable now.

31 minutes ago, UTDD said:

My honest thought is...I don't know.  But from a pure value perspective, they didn't have to give up Dinwiddie (injured but still for down the road good) or Harris.  Allen is a big loss for them, but hard to pass up getting Harden.  I guess we'll see.  Underrated aspect on this trade too is that OKC owns a few Houston picks down the road that might have gotten more valuable now.

The problem is they're not getting 2018 Harden in this deal. They are getting smokes weed and eats Pringles all day COVID Harden. No way fat Harden is worth this deal. Totally gambled their next decade on a rookie coach being able to mind meld two of the worst head cases in the league. High risk, high reward, I guess, but no way I'm hitching my wagon to Beardy McFatandFat and a fucking flat-earther.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I mean I know most of those guys (don't know Cabarot or Reggie Perry). I guess looking for more of an updated depth chart. I'm assuming they're going to have to bring in some vets or G-Leaguers just to have enough bodies?

Yes. I beleive they are 3 short of having 15 guys right now. Not sure if they will sign some two-way guys or look at FAs or what.

The problem is they're not getting 2018 Harden in this deal. They are getting smokes weed and eats Pringles all day COVID Harden. No way fat Harden is worth this deal. Totally gambled their next decade on a rookie coach being able to mind meld two of the worst head cases in the league. High risk, high reward, I guess, but no way I'm hitching my wagon to Beardy McFatandFat and a fucking flat-earther.

lol.