2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

19 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Shortened season makes sense with available make up days. They should have expanded the rosters, too.

They have cushion built in with only releasing half the schedule.   They can add make up games whenever and spread the 2nd half out where necessary.     Even chose to take a break if needed before starting back up

its not ideal but nothing is right now

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

A couple of extra guys per team on non-guaranteed minimum contracts?  That’s a rounding error for NBA teams.

10 day contract starts at 80 grand. You would need more than a couple of extra guys per team and their salaries wouldn't include additional expenses teams would incur (travel, testing etc.). Say you have 5 additonal guys on roster for a month - that's very conservatively another $1.2M line item on a team's expense sheet. This is all on top of damatically reduced revenue league wide from a lack of ticket sales and general gameday revenue.

Then you have trickle down effects like it impacting scheduled G League games that are supposed to start in February. Does the G League then have to go find other guys to fill out their rosters? Do they just cancel the G League? 

So, yeah, it gets messy very quickly.

None of this matters because bringing additional guys up doesn't solve anything. They'd get covid or be subject to contact tracing just like the guys already on rosters are right now. Games would get cancelled anyway - now you're paying additional salaries for guys that aren't going to play games that you now aren't getting TV revenue from.

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

10 day contract starts at 80 grand. You would need more than a couple of extra guys per team and their salaries wouldn't include additional expenses teams would incur (travel, testing etc.). Say you have 5 additonal guys on roster for a month - that's very conservatively another $1.2M line item on a team's expense sheet. This is all on top of damatically reduced revenue league wide from a lack of ticket sales and general gameday revenue.

Then you have trickle down effects like it impacting scheduled G League games that are supposed to start in February. Does the G League then have to go find other guys to fill out their rosters? Do they just cancel the G League? 

So, yeah, it gets messy very quickly.

None of this matters because bringing additional guys up doesn't solve anything. They'd get covid or be subject to contact tracing just like the guys already on rosters are right now. Games would get cancelled anyway - now you're paying additional salaries for guys that aren't going to play games that you now aren't getting TV revenue from.

Right, unless you are going to have them somehow practice yet stay completely separate from the rest of the team they would be subject to contact tracing.    This isn't football with 50+ players in separate position meetings.

You also have the medical aspect of it.    If any of those guys get hurt then their contracts would more than likely become guaranteed until they are healthy again however long that is.    It gets expensive and complicated very fast.

46 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

What team would want Kyrie? Nowhere near being worth the headache. 

Now you have the sister public b-day party video the NBA is looking at while he was away from the team.  He's basically almost guaranteed to miss this entire week, which now would add up to a decent chunk of games.  The Nets need him if KD wants him, but I bet they are nervous right now.  It's a long time ago from his amazing run in 2016, and the Celtics doing better without him multiple times, and in particular his putrid four games against the Bucks in the playoffs made this a kind of prove it year to me.  He was doing great on the court early on this season, but this isn't a great look right now.  I mean, he's a 50/40/90 type of offensive player, so that's damn good but...  

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Was it d2o or ztejas that was beating the "Kyrie isn't actually a cancer" drum all offseason? emoji23.pngemoji23.png

I can't speak for d2o. Here are my takes that I would call relevant over the past 6 mos:

On 12/15/2020 at 10:22 AM, ztejas said:

I think his stint in Boston got messy because he couldn't stay healthy. He is also no longer the best player on the team which should do him some good. He and Durant's tag team act in their first preseason game seemed to display much more rhythm and situational awareness than Durant and Westbrook ever did. He was also hitting everything so who knows.

I mean, would you rather have a role model like Westbrook who is squeaky clean off the court but makes terrible decisions on the court, or a guy like Kyrie who is an absolute head case by day but already a proven winner?

Eh. It doesn't until it does. Sometimes it's a detriment to a player or their team and sometimes it isn't. Dennis Rodman has 5 titles. Zlatan Ibrahomovic has put together one of the greatest soccer careers ever. Both of those guys are out of their fucking minds. Kyrie of course already has a title. 

On 12/19/2020 at 10:46 AM, ztejas said:

Yeah I'd think like 80% of his job is just getting Kyrie to not do stupid shit and just play basketball. KD has to be close to past the point of coaching. 

I've defended him in the sense that he's a baller. I've also acknowledged that he's crazy and that it might be an issue for them. Which is pretty par for the course so far this season. 

No more "guests" in player hotel rooms.  The ESPN article (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30699678/added-nba-protocols-prohibit-non-team-guests-hotel-rooms-require-masks-bench) says guests previously have been family members or "longstanding" personal friends.  I'm sure longstanding was loosely defined.

LOL.  Wonder what market's local pussy will suffer the most.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I can't speak for d2o. Here are my takes that I would call relevant over the past 6 mos:

I've defended him in the sense that he's a baller. I've also acknowledged that he's crazy and that it might be an issue for them. Which is pretty par for the course so far this season. 

I suppose that's fair but you seemed pretty cocksure of your take that the Nets were a lock to be a contender while scoffing at those of us who thought there was a lot of built-in risk with that team. They are 5-6.

But, I'm not going to spike the football 11 games into the season. Durant is only going to get better, and maybe Kyrie gets his shit together. But he's definitely a full blown cancer. It's just a matter of whether he can be managed. I have a feeling hindsight is going to show us that they should have gotten a more experienced head coach that has some gravitas to deal with him. We'll see.

46 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I suppose that's fair but you seemed pretty cocksure of your take that the Nets were a lock to be a contender while scoffing at those of us who thought there was a lot of built-in risk with that team. They are 5-6.

But, I'm not going to spike the football 11 games into the season. Durant is only going to get better, and maybe Kyrie gets his shit together. But he's definitely a full blown cancer. It's just a matter of whether he can be managed. I have a feeling hindsight is going to show us that they should have gotten a more experienced head coach that has some gravitas to deal with him. We'll see.

You need to quote me if you want to go off of things I posted weeks or months ago. I never said they were a lock to be a contender. I always acknowledged there was risk. I don't think I ever said anything other than they'd be really good "if KD and Kyrie can stay healthy". So far both of them have missed multiple games and Dinwiddie has been injured to boot. When all 3 of those guys were playing they looked like the best team in the East. 

It's way too early to be concerned about their standing. I'll start doubting them if they're sitting at 8-13 in a few weeks. 

40 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You need to quote me if you want to go off of things I posted weeks or months ago. I never said they were a lock to be a contender. I always acknowledged there was risk. I don't think I ever said anything other than they'd be really good "if KD and Kyrie can stay healthy". So far both of them have missed multiple games and Dinwiddie has been injured to boot. When all 3 of those guys were playing they looked like the best team in the East. 

It's way too early to be concerned about their standing. I'll start doubting them if they're sitting at 8-13 in a few weeks. 

ok

On 12/18/2020 at 9:39 PM, ztejas said:

It's not really about the results it's more just seeing all of their pieces on the court together and Durant looking at least 95% of what he was pre-injury. He and Kyrie seem to have a nice rhythm already with sharing possessions.

Talk about a lucky first gig for Nash.

They're 5-6, they're losing even with their top superstar playing 40 minutes per game, and their 2nd superstar is being incredibly cancerous.

Lucky first gig for Nash indeed.

"I think his stint in Boston got messy because he couldn't stay healthy."

lol. 

"He is also no longer the best player on the team which should do him some good. "

lol

Here's another winner: 

image.png.0801af9f7094d941f2916a9cf61b56d8.png

I mean it's all good, I'm not dragging you that hard or anything. Every year some team's fans convince themselves that Kyrie has just been in places he doesn't fit or has had some bad injury or chemistry luck. You're a Durant guy ergo a Nets guy and you got sucked into it. It's happened to a lot of people.

Kyrie is a negative asset.  Has been for a few years. He's paid like an All-NBA player, and he gives you 15-20 games per year at that level. The other 60 games he's either hurt or half-assing it, while ruining the team's chemistry and eating up a third of your cap space.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me four times, and well, I'm a Nets fan I guess.

Edited by BradInATX

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Was it d2o or ztejas that was beating the "Kyrie isn't actually a cancer" drum all offseason? emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Yeah, I don't think it was either but you're welcome to go find those quotes.   All I've said is they have a STACKED team.

Dude is nuts but when focused he is a baller.    I'm actually somewhat surprised that now that he is on a team that has a great chance to win it all that he cant keep it together.    Never understood why KD chose to hitch up with the guy as he should have a pretty good idea of how different the guy thinks.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I love Dream, but no, he is not the best center ever.  

he's the starting C in my, and many other people's all time starting five. do i rank him higher than Kareem on the all time list? no, but career stats and accomplishments come into play there. talent wise? Hakeem is as talented a center as has ever played. 

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

ok

They're 5-6, they're losing even with their top superstar playing 40 minutes per game, and their 2nd superstar is being incredibly cancerous.

Lucky first gig for Nash indeed.

"I think his stint in Boston got messy because he couldn't stay healthy."

lol. 

"He is also no longer the best player on the team which should do him some good. "

lol

Here's another winner: 

image.png.0801af9f7094d941f2916a9cf61b56d8.png

I mean it's all good, I'm not dragging you that hard or anything. Every year some team's fans convince themselves that Kyrie has just been in places he doesn't fit or has had some bad injury or chemistry luck. You're a Durant guy ergo a Nets guy and you got sucked into it. It's happened to a lot of people.

Kyrie is a negative asset.  Has been for a few years. He's paid like an All-NBA player, and he gives you 15-20 games per year at that level. The other 60 games he's either hurt or half-assing it, while ruining the team's chemistry and eating up a third of your cap space.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me four times, and well, I'm a Nets fan I guess.

I really don't understand what you're arguing here. That it's a failed experiment and Kyrie is worthless because they aren't sitting at 11-0? They've had their full roster on the court in like 3 games. If you want to make knee-jerk overreactions at this point in the season then go ahead. I'm failing to see what exactly I've been proven wrong about - besides Kyrie maybe being more of a nut than I had thought. 

As someone who has followed his career since he was at Duke, nothing about Kyrie's season surprises me.

Kyrie has been, is, and always will be about Kyrie and only Kyrie.  Which is a shame because he is so talented - his performance in the March 2015 Spurs-Cavs game was one of the best regular season performances (if not the best) over the past 10 years.  HoF play after HoF play from him that game.

33 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he's the starting C in my, and many other people's all time starting five. do i rank him higher than Kareem on the all time list? no, but career stats and accomplishments come into play there. talent wise? Hakeem is as talented a center as has ever played. 

Who said anything about Kareem?

spacer.png

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Kyrie is just fucking crazy.  You can manage crazy for a little bit.  Phil f’n Jackson might manage to get a couple of productive seasons out of him, but eventually cray is gonna cray.

This will either be some weird, social justice, maybe covid-related happening and he and the Nets will get over it and never look back - or he's actually out of his God damn mind it turns into an absolute disaster. I'm maybe 60/40 right now.

And yeah - the Rockets are going to have to trade Harden somewhere. Soon. Not sure I buy that it's Brooklyn but he is fat and playing shitty, uninspired ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

138873212_4316641425049247_1189691896012286136_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=GlSFX-IB4C0AX9NjUdK&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=9f2c5e68e9cc2495eb03333992ceb26b&oe=602577A3
Poor Harden.....lol

giphy.gif

I’d keep him if I’m Houston The first sign the team isn’t winning as much because of the moves orchestrated mostly by your choosing and you want out? Fuck off. Nobody cares you won mvp a few years ago and because of that you choose to not fulfill a contract you signed but also gives you the authority to say you want out AND a list of teams you’d like to go to because in your head those organizations would love to deal with your antics ??

If Harden was the titanic captain, he would’ve been on the first rescue boat out of there... reserved for women and children. But I guess one can argue that he has a vag sooo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Kyrie is just fucking crazy.  You can manage crazy for a little bit.  Phil f’n Jackson might manage to get a couple of productive seasons out of him, but eventually cray is gonna cray.

Crazy and fucking dumb. He has convinced himself that spending one year in Durham makes him a genius. Gonna be hard to convince me Kyrie

“I do research on both sides,” Irving said at the time. “I’m not against anyone that thinks the Earth is round. I’m not against anyone that thinks it’s flat. I just love hearing the debate.”

He said Monday he’d like to have the matter put to rest, and noted that this escapade was a good lesson of how words that come from influential people can have enormous power.

“At the time, I was like huge into conspiracies,” Irving said. “And everybody’s been there.”

You can't even be moderately intelligent and  believe the fact that the world is flat.  Because he has can bounce, pass, and shoot an orange ball better than most people on the planet, he has millions of dollars and people kiss his ass. But he's one of those stupid fucks that has convinced himself that he's Einstein because people have kissed his ass for so long. 

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

giphy.gif

I’d keep him if I’m Houston The first sign the team isn’t winning as much because of the moves orchestrated mostly by your choosing and you want out? Fuck off. Nobody cares you won mvp a few years ago and because of that you choose to not fulfill a contract you signed but also gives you the authority to say you want out AND a list of teams you’d like to go to because in your head those organizations would love to deal with your antics ??

If Harden was the titanic captain, he would’ve been on the first rescue boat out of there... reserved for women and children. But I guess one can argue that he has a vag sooo

I’m a rockets fan and want what’s best for the team and not Harden. I was in favor of keeping him and trying to push through. I don’t think so anymore, there’s nothing to salvage. Harden was awesome the first 2 games. I think he wanted to put that on tape so everyone knew what he was. Mission accomplished- now he’s low grade mutiny to get out. Mission accomplished if it’s me. 
All that said- say all the bad shit you want about him but I don’t think anyone on here would want to work won’t Insteon with Tillman Ferntits. He’s the worst owner in the nba and I’m aware of the presence of James Dolan. 

6 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Houston should just tell Harden to stay home. In 3 years he can try again for some other team. Fuck it. 

They have to pay him if they do that.   If he wants out and wants to sit let him make that call.   No way should anyone pay him 40M/yr to stay away