2021 Thread of 3 Putting

Jhawk

For you guys that have trouble deciding which tee box to play from, I found this chart to be pretty accurate.

I’m a 6.8 from the Blues and I’ve found I like playing courses around 6500 yards. My club is 6400 from the Blues and 6900 from the tips.

Looked at the chart and my 180 yard 5 iron avg puts me right there.

6aed982428570d1599794c8eac6f2990.jpg

I love Pine Dunes.

The course is great but the greens had been punched last week and were sandy and very slow. Not to mention a giant bachelor party was staying in those same units. They partied all night both nights. 3:00am Saturday night there is a banging on my door so I finally got up.

I answered the door and some 20 year old is standing there wobbling back and forth and said “Oh, sorry dude, must have the wrong door”.

Felt like going outside to shake my first at a cloud or something…

The course is great but the greens had been punched last week and were sandy and very slow. Not to mention a giant bachelor party was staying in those same units. They partied all night both nights. 3:00am Saturday night there is a banging on my door so I finally got up.

I answered the door and some 20 year old is standing there wobbling back and forth and said “Oh, sorry dude, must have the wrong door”.

Felt like going outside to shake my first at a cloud or something…

Sorry for partying
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I finally joined Onion Creek a few months ago.  Started playing more regularly than I had in the past 15 years.  First time to ever keep a handicap.  Had to take about a month off during our move, but got back out yesterday.  Hadn't touched a club at all.  Proceeded to shoot a 62 on the front including a 14 that was the result of three straight drives OB.  Followed that up with a 39 on the back for a smooth 101.  I'm relatively certain a 23 stroke swing between sides is a record for me.  

• Like 1

For you guys that have trouble deciding which tee box to play from, I found this chart to be pretty accurate.

I’m a 6.8 from the Blues and I’ve found I like playing courses around 6500 yards. My club is 6400 from the Blues and 6900 from the tips.

Looked at the chart and my 180 yard 5 iron avg puts me right there.

6aed982428570d1599794c8eac6f2990.jpg

This is pretty interesting … based on my handicap I should be playing the up tees. But this chart says I should be playing from the tips.

This is pretty interesting … based on my handicap I should be playing the up tees. But this chart says I should be playing from the tips.

Yeah the article that came with it explained that just because there is an old guy with an 8 handicap doesn’t mean he should play from the tips while a bomber who may have a lousy short game and not accurate shouldn’t be playing from the whites just because he is a higher handicap.
  • Like 1

Yeah the article that came with it explained that just because there is an old guy with an 8 handicap doesn’t mean he should play from the tips while a bomber who may have a lousy short game and not accurate shouldn’t be playing from the whites just because he is a higher handicap.

This. I’m a 10.8 index and I hit my drive 270 (sometimes longer) and my 5 iron 190 but short game often is a challenge. I usually play the men’s tees which is one short of the very back tees.
  • Like 1

I’m also a high handicap (18) who can hit it pretty far (per that chart i should be blues/tips) and I’ve found that the course slope is a better way to determine what tees I should be playing. Playing the tips isnt an option for me and usually playing the whites is the most fun.

Pretty comprehensive golf ball test. I've dissected that article and have no fucking idea what ball I should be playing.

Seems like if you are after low spin, long distance with the driver, then those balls aren't the balls you want on your approach and wedge shots were you want high spin or high decent angles to mitigate lower spin. 

https://mygolfspy.com/best-golf-balls-2021/

I feel like a pretty big majority of golfers would have more fun moving up a box. I hit my 5i about 165 and am currently a 22.1 trending down, and generally look to play around 6000 yards, but I agree that slope is an even better indicator. My brother hits his about 190 and doesn't keep an index, but is probably a 10-12 or so and also plays the whites with me. Our dad also plays whites, though now he will pick some holes to play up if there's a decent forced carry, he's always been a low ball hitter, but just doesn't have the power anymore.

So many players just default to "next up from tips" even though they would have a significantly better time playing further up. When I played Paiute, my buddy and I got paired with a single. My buddy and I played the white tees (Par 72, 6035 yards, 68.8/111).  The single played the yellow tees (next ones back, one up from tips, 6635 yards, 70.9/118).  My buddy and I shot 102 and 96, respectively, and the single definitely was north of both of us, and had a considerably worse time. The game is hard, why make it harder unnecessarily?

46 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

I feel like a pretty big majority of golfers would have more fun moving up a box. I hit my 5i about 165 and am currently a 22.1 trending down, and generally look to play around 6000 yards, but I agree that slope is an even better indicator. My brother hits his about 190 and doesn't keep an index, but is probably a 10-12 or so and also plays the whites with me. Our dad also plays whites, though now he will pick some holes to play up if there's a decent forced carry, he's always been a low ball hitter, but just doesn't have the power anymore.

So many players just default to "next up from tips" even though they would have a significantly better time playing further up. When I played Paiute, my buddy and I got paired with a single. My buddy and I played the white tees (Par 72, 6035 yards, 68.8/111).  The single played the yellow tees (next ones back, one up from tips, 6635 yards, 70.9/118).  My buddy and I shot 102 and 96, respectively, and the single definitely was north of both of us, and had a considerably worse time. The game is hard, why make it harder unnecessarily?

Agree completely.  

One way to get people to try it out is to rotate the tees through a round just for the variety.  For example, my home course uses Gold, Blue, White, and Red for the tee boxes.  Most male players use the gold tees other than for handicap tourneys (when all but the lowest handicap flights play the blues).  My course, which dates back to 1912 and has no real estate to expand, is plenty difficult despite not being terribly long even from the tips.  On July 4 I suggested we do a Red White & Blue tee day, with the first hole from the Red tee box, second from the White, and so on.  It was a ton of fun and changed up the course tremendously.

I think some of the reluctance is a result of the cost of a round of golf for resorts and daily fee courses.  When you're plunking down over $100 each time to play somewhere you feel like you have to get the "whole" experience, whereas if you have the luxury of a membership somewhere and can play the same course a lot you become more willing to experiment.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Pretty comprehensive golf ball test. I've dissected that article and have no fucking idea what ball I should be playing.

Seems like if you are after low spin, long distance with the driver, then those balls aren't the balls you want on your approach and wedge shots were you want high spin or high decent angles to mitigate lower spin. 

https://mygolfspy.com/best-golf-balls-2021/

Read that yesterday. I think it just goes to show there isn't a ton of difference between all of the top tier balls and even some second tier balls and the top. Play what works for you, especially around the green because even a robot is only seeing minimal difference off the tee. 

Read that yesterday. I think it just goes to show there isn't a ton of difference between all of the top tier balls and even some second tier balls and the top. Play what works for you, especially around the green because even a robot is only seeing minimal difference off the tee. 

I’m not sure that was the message

How do you read it any differently?  Look at the numbers. Distance difference on the high compression balls was 6 yards between a left dash and a freaking vice pro. Ball speed between first and tenth (left dash vs a pinnacle range ball)  was about 3/4 mph. 

If you want/need a spinny ball pick one. Want a soft one that doesn't spin,  pick one.  But whether that is a titleist or bridgestone or callaway it doesn't really matter. They are all very close.  

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

I think some of the reluctance is a result of the cost of a round of golf for resorts and daily fee courses.  When you're plunking down over $100 each time to play somewhere you feel like you have to get the "whole" experience, whereas if you have the luxury of a membership somewhere and can play the same course a lot you become more willing to experiment.

I def agree with the "whole" experience, although of course hitting a 3 wood into a par 3 or par 4 designed to receive a mid-iron approach doesn't really qualify. :D

There is certainly also some ego involved for a lot of them. 

At my club, we play the white tees for competition and the blues in normal play, with the blacks being the tips. All of the older guys play whites but the whites aren’t our senior tees. For me, it doesn’t matter if I play the whites or the blues on any given hole except for hole 10 which changes the tee box to hit over water when you step back to the blue/black box. Golf for me is a challenge and fun from either tee box. I know I’m going to have a tough time hitting greens regardless because that’s my weakness. It doesn’t matter if I’m 140 or 165 out unfortunately. I just like to play with my friends, try and win some money, and enjoy challenging myself in my own game. If I have a bad day the worst thing to come of it is that I had a nice walk in the park with my buds (and lost some money). I’m having a blast improving so I don’t really think I’d have more fun shortening the course as that might make me feel like my gainz aren’t as real as when I’m playing from the tees I normally play from. That being said, I play where the group plays from because I’m in the top 5% in length at my club and I’ve got great girth as well, which is what the cart girls like. 

How do you read it any differently?  Look at the numbers. Distance difference on the high compression balls was 6 yards between a left dash and a freaking vice pro. Ball speed between first and tenth (left dash vs a pinnacle range ball)  was about 3/4 mph. 
If you want/need a spinny ball pick one. Want a soft one that doesn't spin,  pick one.  But whether that is a titleist or bridgestone or callaway it doesn't really matter. They are all very close.  

I believe you are comparing the top and 10th ball of the top 10 in that category

There’s a 32 yard difference between the long and short 110mph drives

My home course (par 71) is 7160 from the back tees, 6650 from the men's tees, 6100 from the senior tees. I am down to a 1.5 handicap right now and I hit my 5 iron 175. I would say that for my handicap I have average-ish length with my driver (240 carry) but am one or more clubs shorter than average through the rest of the bag, even accounting for modern GI "distance" irons. But I strike it pretty consistently.

From the back tees I would be hitting driver or have to absolutely nut a 3W just to reach two of the par 3s, would have little chance of reaching three of the par 4s with a perfect drive and 3W, and would have trouble carrying a hazard off the tee on the longest par 5. I rarely play from those tees, but embrace the challenge of it when I do because pars feel like birdies.

From the men's tees I hit 4i or 5W into those long par 3s and par 4s, but still have no chance of reaching any of the par 5s in two shots. I hit driver on every par 4 and par 5 though, as taking any less, even on the shorter holes, puts me at a disadvantage. From these tees I am usually just trying to aim for the center of the green on the majority of holes, and the par 5s and shortest par 4s are my only real opportunities to have reasonable birdie expectations with a short iron or wedge in (assuming I hit perfect drives to get there). These tees are where all of the club competitions play from, and my dad, a former plus handicap whose game is trending to shit as he approaches 70, still always plays from here because that is where his regular games play from. He will be eligible to move up next year when he reaches 70. When I play with him, we go from the men's tees, even though I beg him to move up.

Otherwise, I have really enjoyed going from the senior tees, even though I am still a few decades away from being a senior. GHIN puts my course handicap from these tees at 73, so there is always the challenge/reward of knowing I should be playing it close to even par. I still take driver on almost every hole, and there are no short par 4s that I can reach. But on most par 3s and par 4s I am hitting 8i or less and trying to make course management decisions about where I want to be putting from, whether I want to fire at the pin or play it safe, etc., and on par 5s, two perfect shots gives me an opportunity to two putt or get up and down for birdie.

Having never shot under par on 18 holes, I recently decided that I should go Earl Woods on myself and play up until I break par. Fortunately, it took only one round from the forward tees (5250 yards). Even though I putted like shit, I birdied 16 to get to one under and missed short birdie putts to push it into the 60s on 17 and 18. That would've been cool, but I will take the 70. I have a couple even par rounds already from the senior tees, but if I get some putts to drop one day I will break that barrier soon as well. When I do I can justify moving back to the men's tees as the next challenge, but I think I will still prefer paying up, unless I am magically able to add 20+ yards of driver distance in my 40s.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

I believe you are comparing the top and 10th ball of the top 10 in that category

There’s a 32 yard difference between the long and short 110mph drives

Yeah...between a left dash and a inesis tour 900...whatever that is.

I'm not saying every ball is the same,  but between high compression balls among the big boys or low compression balls among the big boys there is very little difference. And even a couple 2nd tier balls like the tour response and avx look like they could be a good replacement for a tour level ball for a big chunk of people. 

Fuck this game. For the previous two seasons before this one my strength was my tee shots. Both driver and 3w. Regularly north of 50% FIR, occasionally into the 70s. Well above average for my handicap. 

But I just could not convert those fairways into GIRs. My iron play was total garbage. I was more comfortable hitting into a green with a 3w off the deck from 230 than I was with a 9i from 135. 

I spent considerable (for me) time working on my irons to where they are by far the best they’ve ever been. 

My driving has gone to complete shit. 

• Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

My home course (par 71) is 7160 from the back tees, 6650 from the men's tees, 6100 from the senior tees. I am down to a 1.5 handicap right now and I hit my 5 iron 175. I would say that for my handicap I have average-ish length with my driver (240 carry) but am one or more clubs shorter than average through the rest of the bag, even accounting for modern GI "distance" irons. But I strike it pretty consistently.

From the back tees I would be hitting driver or have to absolutely nut a 3W just to reach two of the par 3s, would have little chance of reaching three of the par 4s with a perfect drive and 3W, and would have trouble carrying a hazard off the tee on the longest par 5. I rarely play from those tees, but embrace the challenge of it when I do because pars feel like birdies.

From the men's tees I hit 4i or 5W into those long par 3s and par 4s, but still have no chance of reaching any of the par 5s in two shots. I hit driver on every par 4 and par 5 though, as taking any less, even on the shorter holes, puts me at a disadvantage. From these tees I am usually just trying to aim for the center of the green on the majority of holes, and the par 5s and shortest par 4s are my only real opportunities to have reasonable birdie expectations with a short iron or wedge in (assuming I hit perfect drives to get there). These tees are where all of the club competitions play from, and my dad, a former plus handicap whose game is trending to shit as he approaches 70, still always plays from here because that is where his regular games play from. He will be eligible to move up next year when he reaches 70. When I play with him, we go from the men's tees, even though I beg him to move up.

Otherwise, I have really enjoyed going from the senior tees, even though I am still a few decades away from being a senior. GHIN puts my course handicap from these tees at 73, so there is always the challenge/reward of knowing I should be playing it close to even par. I still take driver on almost every hole, and there are no short par 4s that I can reach. But on most par 3s and par 4s I am hitting 8i or less and trying to make course management decisions about where I want to be putting from, whether I want to fire at the pin or play it safe, etc., and on par 5s, two perfect shots gives me an opportunity to two putt or get up and down for birdie.

Having never shot under par on 18 holes, I recently decided that I should go Earl Woods on myself and play up until I break par. Fortunately, it took only one round from the forward tees (5250 yards). Even though I putted like shit, I birdied 16 to get to one under and missed short birdie putts to push it into the 60s on 17 and 18. That would've been cool, but I will take the 70. I have a couple even par rounds already from the senior tees, but if I get some putts to drop one day I will break that barrier soon as well. When I do I can justify moving back to the men's tees as the next challenge, but I think I will still prefer paying up, unless I am magically able to add 20+ yards of driver distance in my 40s.

Great post... you should move back. Hahahahaha

Good post. Not doubting it, but I’m a little surprised a 1.5 index would have never broken par.

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

Good post. Not doubting it, but I’m a little surprised a 1.5 index would have never broken par.

I can believe it but it’s rare. My old attorney was a +0.2 and his low score ever was 70 which he had only hit 3 times. His home course was a higher slope rating and in the dozens of rounds I played with him he shot 70 once and always shot between 72-74. It was incredible really but at the same time if it was me I might consider quitting golf if there was no chance I could get better. 

Today was as satisfying of a round as I've had in a long time. It's a short easy course (69/113) but my buddy's kid keeps chirping that he's he's going to kick my ass and he has yet to do it. Hit 16 greens and really focused on hitting a lot of 3/4 shots into greens instead of full number. I had to give him 6 shots (and 20 years) and took the little fuck for 95 bucks. Fun day. 

20210818_164038.jpg

• Like 2

Followed up my 77 with a nice 108 today so for everyone who said “no way a 22 can shoot 77” there ya go. Opened with a quad, was cart path only and god awful humid and just could not find any rhythm. Pretty tough track too - Texas Star in Euless. Really liked the layout. But fucking OOF

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Followed up my 77 with a nice 108 today so for everyone who said “no way a 22 can shoot 77” there ya go. Opened with a quad, was cart path only and god awful humid and just could not find any rhythm. Pretty tough track too - Texas Star in Euless. Really liked the layout. But fucking OOF

I followed up an 82 with a 3 digit round once, but that was  because the second round was at the ocean course on Kiawah and the wind was blowing.  Holy variability batman!

Playing in the State Mid-Am qualifier at Grey Rock tomorrow. Buddy (better golfer than me) is gonna caddy, which really means walk with me and help read putts :). Hitting it ok, but really haven't been playing much. We'll see how this goes, but excited to put the tee in the ground again and have to count all the shots.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, capnamerca said:

Is anyone on this thread a member at Onion Creek? I'm considering joining somewhere, and I'd love to get a feel for the MGA out there, ask some questions.

Seems like I read recently on the "Country Club Cost" thread (or discussion on another thread about country clubs) that somebody just joined Onion Creek. I can't find the thread, so if any of you know the thread I'm talking about, a little help would be appreciated.

OK, found the thread: 

Not sure who joined or if I dreamed it, but try here.

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Hook 'Em 1

Shot an 87 this morning, best round of the year.  Got my index down to 13 last year and it climbed all the way up to 18.5 going into today. Nothing noteworthy other than it feels good to play like that again and I don’t know where else to brag about this. 

• Like 1

Ended up in 3rd. I was one guy off from being paired with a buddy who is a 1.6 and incredibly consistent. Instead I got a vanity handicapper who was wasted when he showed up. On the first hole I was the long drive and in the middle of the fairway 45 out. He chunks me to 35 out. I chip to 3 feet. He misses the putt. Two guys suck in the chip off so we advance. He puts our drive way right in jail. I punch out. He misses green but I can putt up. Get it to 6” and he makes putt (par 5) we advance. I put one down the fairway on 3. He shanks from 120 out into a bunker. I hit it to 3 feet. He misses the putt and we chip off again. He wins it by about 6” but we probably got some love from my buddy the pro. He finally hits a good shot on 4 and I hit a gap wedge to 8 feet. He misses the putt but we advance with par. On the 5th hole he shanks off the tee into a bunker (par 3). I have a bad lie and blade it over. He gets us to fringe and I make the putt. We lose on that hole to two pars for 3rd place. Won $50 pro shop credit. 

The dreaded pro shop credit. I’ve got $160 at World a golf Village that’s about two years old now. Rushed out the day I won it, then Covid hit… finally went back and the weekend guys can’t get the cards to work and told me to come back during that week (right) when the business people are around. Too much hassle

Hahaha I think I have about $300 of credit. Luckily it’s my club so I’m always there. Bad part is that you have to ask to use your credit otherwise they just charge your account. On top of that, our pro owns the shop and is retiring. I doubt that credit is going to transfer after he’s done. 

Hahaha I think I have about $300 of credit. Luckily it’s my club so I’m always there. Bad part is that you have to ask to use your credit otherwise they just charge your account. On top of that, our pro owns the shop and is retiring. I doubt that credit is going to transfer after he’s done. 

You will want to talk to someone at club about that. Typically club will buy out the pro at retirement and assume those liabilities which then are bundled into new pro’s package.

TL;DR pretty good chance your credit will be honored even after pro leaves but be sure to document it and find out how club is handling it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/20/2021 at 11:53 AM, capnamerca said:

Is anyone on this thread a member at Onion Creek? I'm considering joining somewhere, and I'd love to get a feel for the MGA out there, ask some questions.

I just joined in June.  Have yet to play an MGA event though including the Legends Tourney that was this morning.  Shoot me a DM if you have any specific questions.  

On 8/18/2021 at 8:06 AM, HouTex said:

I am knocking on the door. I was a 4 handicap this time a year ago, and have only played 25 rounds since then. That 1.5 handicap was built on the back of a few 71-72s from the III tees and a few 74-76s from the II tees. Even par 71 at my home course (where I play the majority of my rounds) would give a differential of -2.7 from the II tees. Biggest weakness in my game right now is taking it to an unfamiliar course where I don't know where to miss, but if I spent a few days at an easier course I am confident I could break par. I am still content with breaking 80 from the men's tees, so perhaps my other weakness is mindset. Hence the desire to move up and hold myself to a higher (lower) standard.