Things not going well in the Netherlands

Parliament

On 1/28/2021 at 3:15 PM, gmr548 said:

Neither the USSR nor the Western Allies would’ve won the war without the other so it’s a stupid debate. Hell, without some of their blunders, Germany may have won anyway, or at least fought it to a standstill. It took everyone.

Let that be a lesson. The trumpkin fascist is a decided minority in this country but if the rest of us can’t keep the coalition together we’re done.

I don't think that is accurate.  The wars were extremely taxing on Germany and they were dropping faster than they could be replaced.   Had the Soviets faltered, the Germans would have tried for a war of attrition, but with the UK, Canada, USA all in, they would have still lost the war only Munich might have been the recipient of the first atomic bomb.   

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 10:06 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yep, we were the side-show in the European theater.

Soviets won Europe, U.S. won the Pacific.

Not sure I'd agree wholeheartedly.  We gave the Russians tons of equipment, ships etc. (they trashed the ships beyond use apparently). Germany broke it's back in Stalingrad for damn sure.  

I give them credit for damn sure, but it was both Russia, and the allies double teaming the Nazis in a pincer move. I also think the allies allowed the Russians to advance into Berlin as an olive branch to keep the peace so to speak as reprisal for Stalingrad, and the atrocities they committed as they marched to Moscow.

Hitlers 2 front war doomed them the day operation Barbarosa started.

The US navy also broke the back of the wolf pack, which allowed supplies to run to Europe without any delay or not....

On 1/28/2021 at 1:20 PM, DigglerontheHoof said:

Of course, I over-simplified it and am guilty of hyperbole.  Obviously, the war couldn't have been won without America's unparalleled industrial and logistical might/expertise.  I was mostly referring to the amount of sacrifice, scale of and number of battles, number of soldiers and the viciousness and brutality of the front. 

On those last points you;re spot on. The Russians and Germans hated each other and Germans didn't consider them human.  That whole uber, master race thingy.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Not sure I'd agree wholeheartedly.  We gave the Russians tons of equipment, ships etc. (they trashed the ships beyond use apparently). Germany broke it's back in Stalingrad for damn sure.  

I give them credit for damn sure, but it was both Russia, and the allies double teaming the Nazis in a pincer move. I also think the allies allowed the Russians to advance into Berlin as an olive branch to keep the peace so to speak as reprisal for Stalingrad, and the atrocities they committed as they marched to Moscow.

Hitlers 2 front war doomed them the day operation Barbarosa started.

The US navy also broke the back of the wolf pack, which allowed supplies to run to Europe without any delay or not....

That is a lot of broken backs for such a short post.  

Edited by Nivek
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 1/28/2021 at 4:36 AM, Shady Ray said:

And man, they are fucking livid. Front page of the Bild tabloid in Germany today was a full spread about how much of the vaccine was leaving Germany. 

Can you provide some more perspective on the vax rollout in EU.  Man, it looks like the EU is shitting the bed at almost every turn. 

16 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Can you provide some more perspective on the vax rollout in EU.  Man, it looks like the EU is shitting the bed at almost every turn. 

Yeah, Brussels has fucked this up royally. Which isn't any surprise given that Ursula Fucking Von Der Leyen is running it. If this idiot woman isn't the poster child for "failing upwards", then I don't know who is. The absolutely abysmal job that she did when heading the Bundeswehr would be enough to take down a politician anywhere else (well, outside of the US, at least), but oh no, not with Ursula. Mutti Merkel promoted this idiot to run the entire EU as Berlin's puppet-in-residence in Brussels. Basically, as Mrs. Shady said over breakfast this morning, "basically we just dump our shittiest, most ineffective politicians in Berin over to Brussels, where they then proceed to fuck us even harder than they did before." And she is right.

Long story short, Berlin farmed out its sourcing to Ursula in Brussels instead of nutting up and taking care of Germans themselves - despite Berlin subsidizing a massive level of the developmental cost to BionTech - and then allowed Ursula's crack team of idiots to negotiate what is believed to be a terrible contract with the big players in the Corona vaccine game. As @TXSG8R accurately mentioned upthread, there are indeed a ton of stories coming out about very, very senior-aged Germans having appointments dropped due to shortages. 

It is rare that I would reference Der Spiegel, given that it is basically just a mouthpiece for certain elements in Berlin, but if you really want the scoop from the German perspective, you should read this. It is in depth and - given that it is coming from Der Spiegel - it sounds to me like Ursula is going to be the rare bird that triggers such outrage in Berlin that Berlin will be forced to remove her from Brussels. Europe is livid with this idiot, and justifiably so.

Europe's Vaccine Disaster: Ursula Von der Leyen Seeking to Duck Responsibility

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

great link @Shady Ray  Thanks.  Yep a great link.

Ursula over-promises and under-delivers - like all politicians. 

That'a all you needed to type.  Jefferson said democracy needs to re invent itself every 20 years (paraphrasing here). We're about 75 years overdue now.  Career politicians are the problem.  Larger systems, that are more and more removed from the local level are even more of a problem.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

great link @Shady Ray  Thanks.

Ursula over-promises and under-delivers - like all  20th Century neoliberal  politicians. They are inviting ruin. Frankly, they need to get out of the way for fresher perspectives. 

The KSK problem is worrisome. How can that happen.  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53237685

Yeah, that whole ordeal was completely regarded. Of course, the "best of the best" certainly no longer ascend to heading Defense in Germany, but Ursula is a "legacy" in the world of the EU Commission given her father's early role in the "European Project", and for quite some time she was even seen as Mutti's heir apparent, even by Mutti herself, so she has continued to be promoted, much to the dismay of average Germans. Then she fell from grace with the above scandals (and overall abysmal state that she left the Bundeswehr), so Merkel put the next "mini-me" in line, Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer in to replace Ursula as head of Defense and Merkel herself as head of the CDU....only then for AKK to shit the bed royally and drop from one of the most popular politicians in Germany to the absolute least popular over the course of the last year. She eventually had even lower numbers than the heads of the commies (Die Linke) and the AFD.

Merkel gets a massive level of love in the US media, particularly given when juxtaposed with Trump, but the open secret is that Merkel has systematically decapitated every potential successor with any potential by demoting them during her tenure. Basically, it got to the point where her potential male successors were essentially nothing more than neutered (read pathetic sycophants) while her potential female successors were fundamental incompetents like Ursula, AKK and Julia Klöckner. Merkel basically wanted nothing more than to leave a legacy with a mini-me, but the people didn't want that, so basically its a steaming pile of shit at the top at the moment. And destined to be even more-so now that Armin Laschet is the head of the CDU.

But, while Angie has committed to leaving this year, if the Rona keeps up the way that it is, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see her make a late play to stay on "for the good of Germany." Her last New Years address to the country definitely contained some politi-speak re whether it was her last New Years address to the country ("today, I am most likely speaking to you as your Federal Chancellor for the last time on a New Years Day). I still think the odds are that she is out, but she is a deliberate politician and nothing is said accidentally.

Anyway, I digress into larger German politics...point remains...fuck Ursula.

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/27/2021 at 9:28 AM, 4th&Five said:

I bet you have one of those Back to Back World War Champs shirts, don’t you?

I’d love one of those shirts-never seen one that’s as you described before. It would go perfectly with my tiger shirt and my bald eagle “these colors don’t run” shirt that I bought at Walmart for $4.68 this year that I wore in my sociological experiment to fit in with the natives on my RV trip this summer.