Bourbon

Jimbaround

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradjaphe/2019/10/10/pappy-van-winkle-announces-2019-releases/#517f534f6c0b

For countless bourbon lovers across the country, the holiday season begins before any turkey goes into the oven. It actually arrives today with the announcement of Pappy Van Winkle’s annual whiskey releases. Although they won't actually hit shelves until next month–and in supremely limited quantity–here’s what you can expect to find should you be lucky enough to encounter any of this year’s labels in the wild:

$69.99 - Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Bourbon 10 Year Old 107 proof

$79.99 – Old Rip Van Winkle Special Reserve Bourbon 12 Year Old

$119.99 – Old Rip Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 Year Old

$119.99 - Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 15 Year Old

$199.99 - Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 20 Year Old

$299.90 – Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 23 Year Old

A press release from the Frankfort, Kentucky-based distiller warns that yields from this year’s barrels are predictably low thanks to very thirsty ‘angels’ taking advantage of the liquids’ lengthy aging cycles. Furthermore, you’re more likely to spot Elvis at your local liquor store than you are to see Pappy sitting on shelf at suggested retail value.

“Unfortunately we cannot control the price retailers charge,” says Julian Van Winkle, president of Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery. “So some retailers mark it up beyond our MSRP, even though we ask them not to. We are committed to releasing a quality product and hope retailers will honor what we suggest as a fair retail price.”

Although its precise origins are debated, so-called ‘Pappy Mania’ revved into overdrive late in the 2000s, more then five years after the Van Winkle family entered into a partnership with Buffalo Trace distillery to produce and age their storied liquids. The wheated bourbons are renowned for holding a soft, sweetened edge and smooth, lengthy finish. It’s an alluring combination of flavors and aromas that have garnered the whiskies dozens of coveted prizes over the past decade, including a Gold Medal at this year’s San Francisco World Spirits Competition (for the 15-year-old expression).

If you hope to procure a bottle this autumn, the folks who make it suggest steering clear of online resellers and digital marketplaces, including private Facebook and MeWe groups. “Trading and selling bourbon online is an unlicensed and illegal sale,” says Kris Comstock, senior marketing director at Buffalo Trace Distillery. “Purchasing bourbon online from unlicensed parties is dangerous. The product may be counterfeit and unsafe.” So be sensible. No bourbon is worth getting ripped off for.

Happy hunting. And now that it’s official for the bourbon lovers out there: happy holidays!

I'm sure everyone will get a bottle

Rough day yesterday. I wish I turned to my Willett Small Batch Rye MUCH earlier in the say. Snoozing through the Astros game would have been nice. 

I've been out of the bourbon hunting game for the past month. Having to buy two new cars will do that. Other than Weller Full Proof being "out there", what's the latest in bourbon/rye world? 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Rough day yesterday. I wish I turned to my Willett Small Batch Rye MUCH earlier in the say. Snoozing through the Astros game would have been nice. 

I've been out of the bourbon hunting game for the past month. Having to buy two new cars will do that. Other than Weller Full Proof being "out there", what's the latest in bourbon/rye world? 

ECBP B519 is everywhere and supposedly good.  Peerless Bourbon is out but it’s $63.99 worth of hot garbage.  Mic Drop 3.0 can be found but it’s like Belle Meade only more expensive and not as good.  So I guess it’s off to the bar for full proof, EHT barrel proof and EHT Amaranth. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, USCATX said:

ECBP B519 is everywhere and supposedly good.  Peerless Bourbon is out but it’s $63.99 worth of hot garbage.  Mic Drop 3.0 can be found but it’s like Belle Meade only more expensive and not as good.  So I guess it’s off to the bar for full proof, EHT barrel proof and EHT Amaranth. 

The Bourbon Pursuit guys must own a piece of Mic Drop because they promote the heck out of it. I'd gladly buy a bottle of New Riff anything if they shipped to or sold it in Texas. Supposed to be an excellent four year old bourbon. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Bourbon Pursuit guys must own a piece of Mic Drop because they promote the heck out of it. I'd gladly buy a bottle of New Riff anything if they shipped to or sold it in Texas. Supposed to be an excellent four year old bourbon. 

I have a bottle and it’s ok but will probably be relegated to cocktail duty.  

15 minutes ago, USCATX said:

I have a bottle and it’s ok but will probably be relegated to cocktail duty.  

Yikes. I strongly disliked the Belle Meade Cask Strength Reserve. So much so, that I gave it away. Any Belle Meade Single Barrel is pretty tasty. I loved the 11 year. 

I'm almost afraid to ask, but has anybody tried the Boone County without the age statement? I believe I have one 12 year old left. I'm pretty early in my bourbon drinking career, but one of biggest regrets is not stocking up on Boone County 12 year after I heard they were running low on MGP age statement juice. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

What year is your release? This year? 

The brand is owned by Luxco. They source their bourbon from Heaven Hill. Luxco “relaunched” this brand a couple years ago with the new bottle and packaging. The 10 year was tasty good. Maybe the bourbon they purchased for this years release was not as good. Either Heaven Hill did not have enough to sell, upped the price on the good stuff, or Luxco decided to spend less. I have no idea. 

The brand is owned by Luxco. They source their bourbon from Heaven Hill. Luxco “relaunched” this brand a couple years ago with the new bottle and packaging. The 10 year was tasty good. Maybe the bourbon they purchased for this years release was not as good. Either Heaven Hill did not have enough to sell, upped the price on the good stuff, or Luxco decided to spend less. I have no idea. 
Just bought it 2 weeks ago. Nowhere near as good as last year's release.

17 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
19 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Just bought it 2 weeks ago. Nowhere near as good as last year's release.

well that's disappointing. Thank you taking one for the team. 

On 10/13/2019 at 4:22 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Finally tried New Riff...MEH.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:08 PM, Chewbacca said:

Either my palate has changed, or RY10 isn't as good as it used to be. Not really liking this bottle that much. I loved the last 2 bottles i had. Maybe it's just a bad barrel. 8b1b0648a71f800a1bdbb61bc7c21a50.jpg

It's a single barrel, like other single barrels, you got one that wasn't up to standard. It may get better once it's been open a while.

10 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

It's a single barrel, like other single barrels, you got one that wasn't up to standard. It may get better once it's been open a while.

Yep, that's why I suggested that I might have gotten a bad barrel.  Or the whole run is bad.  I won't ever find out because I won't spend another $50 on this stuff.

I broke my hiatus today and stopped by Garrison Bros. Maybe the barrel they put out was extra good and maybe it was because I had not tasted any bourbon since June but God damn it was good
No shit, I was up there Saturday on our way out of Fredericksburg. I really enjoyed one of the single barrel bourbons they gave me, but couldn't pay $130 for a bottle. Seemed like a nice place to visit and hang out for a few hours, too bad their prices are insane.

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:
On 10/13/2019 at 3:14 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:
I broke my hiatus today and stopped by Garrison Bros. Maybe the barrel they put out was extra good and maybe it was because I had not tasted any bourbon since June but God damn it was good

No shit, I was up there Saturday on our way out of Fredericksburg. I really enjoyed one of the single barrel bourbons they gave me, but couldn't pay $130 for a bottle. Seemed like a nice place to visit and hang out for a few hours, too bad their prices are insane.

I won't downvote this. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yep, that's why I suggested that I might have gotten a bad barrel.  Or the whole run is bad.  I won't ever find out because I won't spend another $50 on this stuff.

Guessing it's a bad barrel, as Luxco has too much invested in this for the batch to be complete crap. To each his own, me I'd grab 2 bottles if I saw it.

https://youtu.be/V6alVpocHvc

12 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:
On 10/13/2019 at 3:14 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

I went on a Sunday so they couldn't sell me a bottle, which is convenient since I would not have bought one - but I have to admit that as much as I am not a fan of their Whiskey it's a great place to spend a fall afternoon. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

What a great way to start a Thursday. Driving to work and best bourbon liquor store in the city (and near my office) posts on their IG that I follow closely that they just put this on the shelf. Did a u-turn from the office to snag it

Their store picks are killer!

d2fdd6c324e7a25dca0825bcdd379159.jpg

• Like 3

Went to nice a restaurant in Alabama with a self proclaimed great Bourbon selection. Blantons for 21, Eagle Rare for 12, Buffalo Trace for 10 were the only bourbons worth a shit. I’m not paying 21 for Blantons. Most of the other bourbons were garbage or insanely overpriced. Jefferson Ocean for 30. Jefferson Pritchard Hill for 30. Yippee Kay Yay for 25. A bunch of others that I don’t remember the prices like Clyde Mays, 1792 Sweet Wheat, etc. 

Complete robbery 

they're all over the place here in queens, along with hudson bourbon. both seem ok, but always way more expensive than most of the $30-50 bottles mentioned throughout this thread. I wouldn't mind trying them but much better options for lower prices. Would like to hear how it turns out.

Joined a group of fellow bourbon lovers. We partner with a liquor store and send a few of our guys to the distillery to pick a barrel for our group to purchase and buy bottles from. First expression was this New Riff. Total cinnamon bomb. On the docket are 4R and KC next

c229ba6ce8d5e04f0ef5b3f2ebaeed86.jpg5b71226f5eb4130dd0a9f3e4d4b4c367.jpg

• Like 1