Bourbon

Jimbaround

8 minutes ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

Any recs for places to bourbon hunt in New Orleans?

Always enjoy hunting in other cities. Went to Nola 2 years ago, and stopped at a random gas station liquor store off the hwy in BFE and found Weller Antique on the shelf at MSRP.

The Total Wine in Lake Charles always seems to have bottles I can never find in Houston. Could be worth a stop. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Well an eventful morning. A buddy texted at about 1015 and said he was getting in line. I’m like 10 minutes away on the train. 

Not bad for a couple hours. OESF, Jack 10, and a Blanton’s pick. Stagg Jr,  Weller, and Eagle Rare picks were long gone.

Mysteriously out of the Russell’s Reserve and Kentucky Spirit picks. 

A flipper in front of me passed on every single bottle. Great way to spend a morning. 

Well an eventful morning. A buddy texted at about 1015 and said he was getting in line. I’m like 10 minutes away on the train. 
Not bad for a couple hours. OESF, Jack 10, and a Blanton’s pick. Stagg Jr,  Weller, and Eagle Rare picks were long gone.
Mysteriously out of the Russell’s Reserve and Kentucky Spirit picks. 
A flipper in front of me passed on every single bottle. Great way to spend a morning. 

2 hrs for that?
Hard pass.

Just now, Smax said:
2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:
A Spec's Houston fork lift operator dropped 17 cases of EHTBP. That's a tough day, I don't care who you are. 

Dropped 17 err 13 cases. Yeah, I dropped 13 cases

Haha. Yep, I imagine some bottles were salvageable and went in a few trunks. 

21 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Just got home felt like I came out pretty well. Got there at almost 11, left about 3. Got Stagg jr, weller107, w12, willet purple top, 4roses, Buffalo trace store picks, Blantons gold, oki store pick, Russel’s reserves pick. I think that’s it.

I guessing Austin. I’m gonna puke, but also congratulations. 

Just now, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Yea Austin. Wish I had gotten 2 of the purple tops and maybe two of the Blantons golds, just to have one for trade/sale and one to drink.

I was the last one to get a Stagg, well second to last.

Always a good idea to take wife/girlfriend/vodka drinkers to these things to double up on bottles. 

That purple top is steep, but it's hazmat. I wouldn't be proud of it, but I'd pull the trigger. 

Always a good idea to take wife/girlfriend/vodka drinkers to these things to double up on bottles. 
That purple top is steep, but it's hazmat. I wouldn't be proud of it, but I'd pull the trigger. 

I did bring someone, the thought of buying 2 never crossed my mind bc I’m not a flipper, afterwards I realized I probably could have flipped it

Perhaps the best part of this day is laughing at Titled Bottle guy celebrating like a Los Alamos psychist in Oppenheimer.  

What a smug fuck. You work in a liquor store. The most challenging task you have is counting. Where do the Swedes send the Nobel Prize? 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

13 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Went out to Garrison Bros on Wednesday. I’m as critical of their products as anybody but man it just hits different sitting around a fire in Hye. Ended up buying a bottle of Balmorhea and I don’t regret a thing. 

Everything I’ve had there tastes wonderful when the weather is nice.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Went out to Garrison Bros on Wednesday. I’m as critical of their products as anybody but man it just hits different sitting around a fire in Hye. Ended up buying a bottle of Balmorhea and I don’t regret a thing. 

It’s a beautiful property. I need to check it out in cold weather. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Got a gts from specs today. I changed stores to the “better location” and missed out on pappy 13, 10 and gts at my regular store. Go figure. Fucking specs. 

I’ve spent 6+ years trying to figure this shit out. 

I think you made the right call, but ran into some bad luck. My understanding is the flagship stores get the highly allocated bottles first and then distribute to smaller stores. If their best customers (rich guys that buy a lot of wine) shop primarily at West U or Memorial, they’ll send their bottles to them so it’s more convenient. 

Specs this year, well they’re having a weird year. They did switch Buffalo Trace distributors at the beginning of 2023, and I think that’s driving a lot of it. They kept Republic as their Heaven Hill distributor, and I’ve see no drop off. Tremendous drop off on the BT side.

I’m happy for you. Hopefully I get a call today. 

I drove by the Dickel Distillery last week on the way back from Lynchburg to Nashville, so decided to get this at my home supplier.  I enjoyed opening it last night and it shall be my NYE salud.  Don't  hear  talk about 15 year whiskey on here very much.  Thought it was very, very  smooth on the front and great vanilla/ oak in the middle.  Not a big banger, but thought it was very nice.

georgedickel15_960x960_crop_center.png?v

Edited by slorch

12 minutes ago, slorch said:

Did not that get that, but then again, my palate is just above Neanderthal.

That's promising.  I've never had a refined palate, but Eau de Flinstones has always been impossible to ignore for me.  I've seen many others mention it as well on the intertrons.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Did not that get that, but then again, my palate is just above Neanderthal.

He's making a joke. Dickel came out with a much hyped, well priced, 13 year old BiB a few years back, and it tasted like Flintstone vitamins. People weren't pleased. 

It ruined Dickel as a brand for me. I'll try it again if they ever start giving it away it to people. 

I’ll preface this with the fact I absolutely love Michter’s Barrel Strength Rye, it’s my favorite bottle, with that being said,
In my opinion, M10 is one of the most overrated expensive bottles out there.
Especially at 94 proof.
It just doesn’t move the needle for me.
Give me 2 MBSR’s instead.

36 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I’ll preface this with the fact I absolutely love Michter’s Barrel Strength Rye, it’s my favorite bottle, with that being said,
In my opinion, M10 is one of the most overrated expensive bottles out there.
Especially at 94 proof.
It just doesn’t move the needle for me.
Give me 2 MBSR’s instead.

I'm drinking for a purpose. The last time I drank M10 on New Year's, Texas beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. 

• Hook 'Em 1