Bourbon

Jimbaround

18 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Quick buck vs. long haul of hard work and stability

There is a reason some choose column A and it rhymes with drugs. 

In the case of the Spec’s restaurant allocation sale, I suspect the restaurant/bartender crowd was alerted to the sale beforehand. They basically bought their intended allotment and then flipped it online. Hey if their place of business was closed, and they desperately needed the money at the time, God Bless. 

On 10/18/2020 at 9:59 AM, RichUT said:

ER to Blanton’s is a very normal progression as you get started. Keep trying as many different types as possible. As you do so, come back to where you started and calibrate what you like best as you are exposed to more variety. I have ER and Blanton’s in my bar, but I rarely reach for them. They are fine, but very straight forward expressions. I prefer others that have more complexity/layered flavors or bourbons that are more unique due to the aging or finishing process.

I’d point you towards Old Forrester (1910, then 1920) and Four Roses (small batch or single barrel) as a next step.

Thanks for the feedback.  I have OF 1910 and like it and I just bought some 4R Single Barrel and I’m looking forward to trying it this weekend.  Now that I’ve tried quiet a few different ones I’ll go back to OF 1910 to see what I think now.  I got on two lists this week.  This shit is better than a scavenger hunt.  I’m really enjoying not just trying different bourbons but looking to see what I can find.  I’m in my car all day so yesterday I stopped in at liquor stores from Dallas to Texarkana to Nacogdoches.   

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I have OF 1910 and like it and I just bought some 4R Single Barrel and I’m looking forward to trying it this weekend.  Now that I’ve tried quiet a few different ones I’ll go back to OF 1910 to see what I think now.  I got on two lists this week.  This shit is better than a scavenger hunt.  I’m really enjoying not just trying different bourbons but looking to see what I can find.  I’m in my car all day so yesterday I stopped in at liquor stores from Dallas to Texarkana to Nacogdoches.   

That i20 stretch out of Dallas toward forney is pretty barren. 

There is definitely a thrill that comes with hunting for the stuff you see people flexing over online. But for anyone newer to the world of bourbon, I would focus primarily on dialing in your palate with things that are readily available at MSRP. Whether it’s stuff like Rare Breed, Elijah Craig, OF Whiskey Row, 1792, or MGP stuff like Redemption, you can learn a lot about what’s good to you. I think that a lot of guys out there showing off tend to not even fully understand or appreciate the product inside the bottle as much as they enjoy the attention that comes from the bottle itself.

And if you do stumble on a unicorn, blind taste it against the rest of your stuff first. See if you can really identify the special bottle next to the stuff so many people overlook. I find that it can really help keep me honest about what I think about a new bottle vs any bias that might exist because of the hype associated with allocated product.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

Chubby Cheeks on the AR side side of Texarkana has good stuff but gouges. Weller CYPB was $800 in the case. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, RichUT said:

Nice. I’ve only found one and I offered it up to a good friend that is a total slut for anything WT. He’d been searching for one for awhile, so of course he took it. The next one I find is going in my stash.

Where are you located? It sits on the shelf at Spec’s and Goody Goody in Houston. 

has a mid-tier wt product ever gone allocated?  seems odd.  some bottles are harder to find because they're not requested as often, and the inventory system takes a long time to self-correct.

doing a quick search, total wine has it (18 miles away is the closest) and bevmo does not (around the corner).  my grocery stores have been slow on the rare breed uptake.  same with russell's reserve sib.

10 hours ago, RichUT said:

Austin. I’ve been hunting multiple stores regularly (5-6 stores per week) since May and I’ve seen it one time.

What.  Checked the Twin app and it’s in stock at the one closest to my house.  You can’t have to drive more than 10 miles right now to get one if you live in the general Austin area.  

1) Jackie is all kinds of cute and you know she’s wild cause she has tats, loves whiskey and has an ex husband

2) asked her direct about this year’s BB and her expectations VS reality. Said it was the coldest day in years when they picked it, but it was the first batch that she and her tasting partner agreed upon on at initial tasting (he’s a high proofer and she likes it mellow). Said no regrets and feels it’s the perfect representation for OF 150 anniversary. Sadly I don’t live in LA anymore or I would have tried for myself tonight.

3) Pro-tip, her SiB picks are available for sale at the gift shop if you ask nicely

46 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

1) Jackie is all kinds of cute and you know she’s wild cause she has tats, loves whiskey and has an ex husband

2) asked her direct about this year’s BB and her expectations VS reality. Said it was the coldest day in years when they picked it, but it was the first batch that she and her tasting partner agreed upon on at initial tasting (he’s a high proofer and she likes it mellow). Said no regrets and feels it’s the perfect representation for OF 150 anniversary. Sadly I don’t live in LA anymore or I would have tried for myself tonight.

3) Pro-tip, her SiB picks are available for sale at the gift shop if you ask nicely

So...get ready for a 7 year old, 90 proof Birthday Bourbon in 2021? 

Let’s fucking hope not - She said it changes year by year and they just step up in proof as its barrel aging until they agree. Seemed very much dependent on what’s left in the rack house, but seeing as it’s virtually impossible to find anyway, I’ll maintain my focus on the rest of the series, which thankfully is readily available.

46 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

haha.  maybe i should have done a search.

Volstead has a really cool Art Deco box and bottle in you’re into that sort of thing. I thought it was pretty good, but Remus IV is supposed to be better/much cheaper. 

But hey what do I know? I just paid $125 for a bottle I probably won’t like. 

I’m working my way through a bottle of WhistlePig 10 Year Cask Strength Spec’s Store Pick. Pretty solid, but I don’t like 100% ryes. Probably my last WhistlePig bottle unless they come out with something phenomenal. 

I like the barely legal ryes. Wild Turkey, Pikesville, and Sazerac/Handy. I’ll make an exception for EHT Taylor rye (Barton). 

What are you willing to open? I’m definitely an asshole. I would probably offer guests Maker’s 101. 

Shit everything I have is open except for my Michter’s Toasted Bourbon and my 3 Barrel Strength Rye’s.
But I’d open them if you wanted some.
I look at bourbon as a way to enjoy good company and create memories. If I have it and you want to try it, I’ll crack it.
If you have a bottle you won’t open for someone, you’re telling them that bottle is worth more to you than they are.
You can always get more whiskey, you may not get that experience with that person back if you hold back. Just my opinion.
:)
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, BigDHornfan said:

Shit everything I have is open except for my Michter’s Toasted Bourbon and my 3 Barrel Strength Rye’s.
But I’d open them if you wanted some.
I look at bourbon as a way to enjoy good company and create memories. If I have it and you want to try it, I’ll crack it.
If you have a bottle you won’t open for someone, you’re telling them that bottle is worth more to you than they are.
You can always get more whiskey, you may not get that experience with that person back if you hold back. Just my opinion.
:)

Freddie Johnson is that you? 

I guess I’m selfish, but I work hard and spend a lot of money to take down good scores. I’d be willing to share with a fellow enthusiast, but the jack off neighbor is getting Maker’s 101.

• Like 2