Bourbon

Jimbaround

25 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You better be watching The Sting to celebrate you SOB. 

I’ve heard legends about the good stuff just sitting on the shelf on California. It was all true. Every single word. 

it's never ever on the shelf.  i've just cracked the code to get access to the backroom stash.

One of these was $19. The other was not. One of these is approximately 6 years old. The other is not. 

Both bottles were the last of their kind in the shelf. Only one was in a locked cabinet.

Both of them are delicious, though. 

Fairly expensive haul at The Woodlands Total Wine, along with a few cases of beer for restocking the garage. 

040484E6-3BAF-412E-A327-FAC658B01C09.jpeg

Friendly reminder that Rare Breed is 116 proof and $40 
Someone needs to put that in a blind taste test with some similar profile hitters and report back.  I love it but I wonder if it would stand up to that sort of scrutiny

I bet it would. Many lower priced bourbons would do very well in a blind tasting. A bunch of us don’t go there because it puts a damper on the hobby of chasing those special rare finds.

54 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Well the Four Roses Cask Strength SiB is over. I picked up two bottles today online. I paid a slight mark up and got killed on shipping. Price of doing business. 

Blackwells? 

I hate they limit ER to 1 per order now. I used to buy 6 at a time. It was the best. They have 4RSBLE for 500. Lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Blackwells? 

I hate they limit ER to 1 per order now. I used to buy 6 at a time. It was the best. They have 4RSBLE for 500. Lol. 

Indeed. Gary or FedEx decided to increase shipping prices by abut $15-20. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

8 hours ago, alincoln said:

Minnick blinded Rare Breed against the 2019 BTAC and Rare Breed won.  It didn't do as well against the 2020 BTAC.

I could see Minnick doing this to make a point. He could probably nail all of the BTACs on the nose alone. To claim he didn’t know what he was tasting isn’t exactly honest. 

Minnick’s schtick above else, is keep people buying bourbon and to improve the financial health of the industry/Kentucky. “You see guys, Rare Breed is just as good as BTAC and it’s widely available. Visit your locally owned liquor store and buy a bottle today!”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I could see Minnick doing this to make a point. He could probably nail all of the BTACs on the nose alone. To claim he didn’t know what he was tasting isn’t exactly honest. 

Minnick’s schtick above else, is keep people buying bourbon and to improve the financial health of the industry/Kentucky. “You see guys, Rare Breed is just as good as BTAC and it’s widely available. Visit your locally owned liquor store and buy a bottle today!”

Yeah, seems right. Lets face it, any 2019 BTAC left is in the hands of a flipper or a price gouging retailer. No harm to be done talking up Rare Breed at the expense of a highly sought after product that is effectively non-existent.

It probably doesn't matter, but I've noticed more stores being sold out of Rare Breed in the last few weeks.

Also, the Goody Goody on Highway 6 didn't have it on the shelf last time I was there. Had an employee open up the higher end chiller room, and the RB was in there sitting next to allocated bottles. So dumb. 

23 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Yeah, seems right. Lets face it, any 2019 BTAC left is in the hands of a flipper or a price gouging retailer. No harm to be done talking up Rare Breed at the expense of a highly sought after product that is effectively non-existent.

That’s the second part of it. Minnick wants to discredit and disrupt/destroy the secondary market. I don’t have a problem with this at all. Have at it Fred! 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It probably doesn't matter, but I've noticed more stores being sold out of Rare Breed in the last few weeks.

Also, the Goody Goody on Highway 6 didn't have it on the shelf last time I was there. Had an employee open up the higher end chiller room, and the RB was in there sitting next to allocated bottles. So dumb. 

Keeping high end bourbon in the fridge is bizarre. I thought it was a Total Wine thing, but it sounds like the Big 3 in Houston all do it. 

My bottle of Elmer was ice cold when I picked it up. 

@henrygandorf is a scholar and gentleman, and he procured this bottle for me.

bd562cc9a96b2617b0e5449d0c17c1de.jpg

Damn, damn, damn. Fucking delicious. Rich, strong, flavorful. Makes me want to dump the 1792 Full Proof in the sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mail it to me, I’ll pour it down the sink for you.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Eggo said:

I'm okay with Rare Breed selling out as long as 101 is untouched. It's better than Buffalo Trace and Elijah Craig. 

I have bottles of Blanton's, Elmer T Lee, Weller 12/Antique 107, and ECBP sitting in the cabinet, but keep pouring the WT101. 

Fair. I've got all of the above and the OF86 and is what gets drunk. 

I'm okay with Rare Breed selling out as long as 101 is untouched. It's better than Buffalo Trace and Elijah Craig. 
I have bottles of Blanton's, Elmer T Lee, Weller 12/Antique 107, and ECBP sitting in the cabinet, but keep pouring the WT101. 

I’ll come take those off your hands for you. I’ll even pitch in a couple bottles of 101 while I’m at it.

What parking lot do you want to meet in? 

Ha. I know it is unpopular and I don’t like much else Dickel offers, but it wasn’t bad. I won’t put it in the regular rotation. It’s one I’ll offer to guests with little bourbon knowledge and make them feel like they are really tasting some of the good juice.

Just now, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Ha. I know it is unpopular and I don’t like much else Dickel offers, but it wasn’t bad. I won’t put it in the regular rotation. It’s one I’ll offer to guests with little bourbon knowledge and make them feel like they are really tasting some of the good juice.

The new 11 year Dickel BiB apparently has a more traditional bourbon flavor and less of the mineral/“Flintstones vitamin” taste of typical Dickel offerings. 

I haven’t tasted it yet myself, but that could be a reason why you like it a bit better. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I was thinking about the guest bourbon today. Maker’s Mark 101 would be a good choice. 

21 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

The new 11 year Dickel BiB apparently has a more traditional bourbon flavor and less of the mineral/“Flintstones vitamin” taste of typical Dickel offerings. 

I haven’t tasted it yet myself, but that could be a reason why you like it a bit better. 

I don’t read any bourbon blogs aside from this thread so this may be a common description that I a simply unaware of, but ‘Flinstones vitamins’  is a great way to describe the taste of a bourbon you don’t like.

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I don’t read any bourbon blogs aside from this thread so this may be a common description that I a simply unaware of, but ‘Flinstones vitamins’  is a great way to describe the taste of a bourbon you don’t like.

Yeah, in the “Whiskey Tube” community, that’s typically the note given to most Dickel products. I hated Flintstones vitamins as a kid so that’s enough to keep me away from Dickel. 

7 hours ago, huge said:

This is a good description of the trash Dickel sourced SAOS.

Worst bottle I’ve ever bought on purpose.

I remember you texted me and said if this was the same SAOS from a while back. I told you no, it was not, don't buy it. But noooooo, you didn't listen. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, huge said:

This is a good description of the trash Dickel sourced SAOS.

Worst bottle I’ve ever bought on purpose.

I have a bottle of Heaven’s Door that I use to demonstrate the Flintstones note.  It’s pretty atrocious and I think I paid $109 for it before I knew better.  The Dickel BiB 11 yr is infinity times better than the SAOS, Dickel Single Barrel and other vitamin bombs. 

12 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Rare Breed is definitely becoming more rare.  It is obviously a favorite of the bourbon youtubers and bloggers along with WT 101 and OF 1920.  Minnick did the 2019 tasting a year ago so I doubt it is impacting Rare Breed availability.