Bourbon

Jimbaround

22 hours ago, USCATX said:

Don’t be an idiot, go back and buy that WT. it’s the OG Master’s Keep release, the new one says Bottled in Bond on the front.  They’ve been going for about $220-$240 secondary as people try to complete the set of MK as they become more popular.  I have all the others (some multiples) but none of that release.  If you don’t want it I’ll trade you something for it. 

I got lucky and have 2 bottles of WT 17 year BiB. Paid $199 for both.  Haven't opened one yet (waiting for a special occasion in the near future), but can't wait to taste. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I got lucky and have 2 bottles of WT 17 year BiB. Paid $199 for both.  Haven't opened one yet (waiting for a special occasion in the near future), but can't wait to taste. 

It’s really good if you like oak. I somehow managed to find 5 of those and bought them all.  Good trade bait for sure.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Now this is just really fucking cool.
1st collaboration between the local FB whiskey group I am in and a local cigar lounge.
Single Barrel JD barrel pick and Crux and Principle cigars aged for 3 months in the barrel the whiskey is from.
Along with a club branded cutter and lighter.
The cigars took on so much from the barrel, they are just stupid delicious.
d34618c1918600f1a71cec8cfec72299.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 10/1/2020 at 8:58 PM, huge said:

That BIB is $100.  I have not had it.  Curious just how good or not good it is.

I saw it today, DSP-12 so Barton at a guaranteed 4 years old and 100 proof in a fancy box for $100.  Oooooook.  If you really want some Barton you can get Sam Houston 14 for the same price.  

Possible Unpopular opinion alert.

Bottles that have languished on my bar because I just don’t dig em:

Russel’s Reserve 10 Year
Legent
Maker’s Mark Private Select
Four Roses Small Batch Select
Pure Kentucky Small Batch

I don’t think you’ll get any flak for that.

RR10 is just not good in my opinion. SiB owns it and it’s not even close.

Legent is a unique profile. I dig it but I know plenty who don’t and won’t hold it against anyone because like I said it’s a very different taste.

Never been a fan of Makers

4R SBS is a solid bottle. Wish it were about $10 cheaper but it’s a bottle I feel extremely confident in recommending to others

Pure Kentucky mixes great with Drano.....

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Possible Unpopular opinion alert.

Bottles that have languished on my bar because I just don’t dig em:

Russel’s Reserve 10 Year
Legent
Maker’s Mark Private Select
Four Roses Small Batch Select
Pure Kentucky Small Batch

RR10 is indeed garbage. 

MMPS is delicious 

4RSBS is good 

what the fuck is Pure Kentucky 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

4RSiB is great. It’s probably the best single barrel you can consistently find in any store. I’m blanking on another widely available single barrel?

Evan Williams SiB is pretty widely available.  And while I wouldn't rate it above 4R SiB, it's close enough at a fraction of the price.

On 10/2/2020 at 9:26 PM, USCATX said:

Don’t be an idiot, go back and buy that WT. it’s the OG Master’s Keep release, the new one says Bottled in Bond on the front.  They’ve been going for about $220-$240 secondary as people try to complete the set of MK as they become more popular.  I have all the others (some multiples) but none of that release.  If you don’t want it I’ll trade you something for it. 

Whoa damn, is that the price with the box?

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Evan Williams SiB is pretty widely available.  And while I wouldn't rate it above 4R SiB, it's close enough at a fraction of the price.

Fuck me, forgot about EV. Concur

and RRSiB. Dammit. All great. 

Edited by Neonmoon

I went to little cocktail class with some friends on Saturday and the bourbon we used was Four Roses SiB. It was just so so much better to me than the Select. Granted it was a barrel pick.

aa007a4ab9205eb2da2e06b6bac6bf2a.jpg

Got some freebies too.

b6d06a51794973326f579cd7df4a6835.jpg

That’s a barrel strength bottle

Right?

So yeah that’s a load better than that. And the regular Single Barrel

I went to little cocktail class with some friends on Saturday and the bourbon we used was Four Roses SiB. It was just so so much better to me than the Select. Granted it was a barrel pick.

aa007a4ab9205eb2da2e06b6bac6bf2a.jpg

Got some freebies too.

b6d06a51794973326f579cd7df4a6835.jpg

That’s a barrel strength bottle

Right?

So yeah that’s a load better than that. And the regular Single Barrel

Four Roses Cask Strength SiBs are basically McKenna 10 after the Minnick article right now. Four Roses has always had a loyal and extremely active fan base. Now you have  Bourbon Groups and taters fighting it out online with the long time fans for the same bottles. Maybe I’ll run into one in Houston, but if stores are going to just put it out on the shelf, Instagram bourbon guy with no job is going to beat me to the punch. Hopefully I can go to Kentucky next year and pick up as many recipes as I can carry back. 

I think Small Ball Batch Select is better than 100 proof SiB. There’s just more going  on in the bottle. I think SBS is priced OK. It’s the same price as Russell’s Reserve. 

I like Evan Wiliams SiB. It’s an interesting, aged bourbon for $30, but it is underproofed. If you have some stuff to do the following morning, it’s a good choice. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like Evan Wiliams SiB. It’s an interesting, aged bourbon for $30, but it is underproofed. 

Agree, which was one of the reasons I liked the McKenna BiB SB so much -- same mashbill, similar flavor profiles, but fuller and more assertive with the higher proof.  And then Minnick wrote his damn article and McKenna disappeared from my little corner of the world (unless I wanted to pay $100 for it).

• Hook 'Em 1