Bourbon

Jimbaround

4 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

While I can complain about the relative shortage of Weller, ETL and others in SoCal, one thing that is plentiful here is ER10.  This is a pretty common sight at my local place.

20200926_101218.jpg

3.9 mb · Done

20200926_101218.jpg

God damn, they got the Herman Munster sized bottles too.   Love those.

13 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

As mentioned above, ER changed the label and dropped the 10 year neck label but it is still on the backside 36eafe3e11a28f6ee2071f14606f345c.jpg

They dropped the single barrel designation a while back. I believe due to a change in production process where some bottles combine the last bourbon from one barrel and the first from another to reduce waste. So the vast majority is still single barrel but they can no longer label as such. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I had two 2018 130th.....that was the best I had ever had and I’m now kicking myself for not having set some aside for comparison because like Bert said, several people I know said 2019>2018. Damn my lack of self control

Had the 130th tonight at moonshine for the first time and that stuff was excellent. 

JD Single Barrel Select, M&R Liquor store pick.

Employee said other regular bourbonhead customer had said it had a lot of 'banana pudding'-like taste.  I told him I am still learning much, much, much about bourbon, but that one of my favorite beers had a very pleasant undertone of banana, in Live Oak Hefe.

Sipping my first one, and I'm not getting the banana at all.  Tastes like freaking bourbon.  

That's not to say it's bad, at all.  I just can't detect the different layers of flavor like others do.

Edited by slorch

46 minutes ago, slorch said:

Employee said other regular bourbonhead customer had said it had a lot of 'banana pudding'-like taste.  I told him I am still learning much, much, much about bourbon, but that one of my favorite beers had a very pleasant undertone of banana, in Live Oak Hefe.

Sipping my first one, and I'm not getting the banana at all.  Tastes like freaking bourbon.  

That's not to say it's bad, at all.  I just can't detect the different layers of flavor like others do.

I think the JDBP had more banana on the nose than on the palate. But it’s a damn fine pour. 

55 minutes ago, slorch said:

I’ve never tasted the famous/infamous Brown-Forman banana note in Old Forester. It’s there in Jack SiBs, but pretty faint. 

Beam does like boiled peanuts. Not what I’m looking for in a flavor profile. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

39 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Got a notification that Weller SiB was available from an online store I have bought from in the past.
$999

I’ll pass at that price.

There's one floating around here in San Antonio on Drizly for $549. Still nope. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Thank you! I'm quite proud of it. I've posted pictures earlier in this thread but happy to share more. 

20201002_153556.jpg

20201002_153622.jpg

I like your bar cabinet. I don’t like to display the stash because a guest could be a dick and ask for a pour of the best whiskey I have. If you live in Houston, you’re going to have some dumb ass Aggy friend by association over at some point. I guess they don’t know any better. 

I’ll take a picture of the stash after I move for the thread, and then lock it away in my home office. 

28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like your bar cabinet. I don’t like to display the stash because a guest could be a dick and ask for a pour of the best whiskey I have. If you live in Houston, you’re going to have some dumb ass Aggy friend by association over at some point. I guess they don’t know any better. 

I’ll take a picture of the stash after I move for the thread, and then lock it away in my home office. 

As a matter of fact, I do have an aggy couple for friends, but luckily they're both physicians so they can buy their own damn booze. I gave him a beer and her some cheap prosecco last time they came over. 

11 hours ago, Smax said:

Have to love these small town grocery stores

ECBP I bought, not a big fan of WT but cant recall seeing 17 year on the shelf.
Hows the 1792 full proof?912d5d1696ead1c814de7069045eb20b.jpg63eaecc62944c7f2dc99f5857dd0e14b.jpg69fb2ccf4e9d8e2b50e545087d8b4a99.jpg

Don’t be an idiot, go back and buy that WT. it’s the OG Master’s Keep release, the new one says Bottled in Bond on the front.  They’ve been going for about $220-$240 secondary as people try to complete the set of MK as they become more popular.  I have all the others (some multiples) but none of that release.  If you don’t want it I’ll trade you something for it. 

Edited by USCATX
  • Like 1