Even the Apocalypse Must End; The Walking Dead Finale Season

notre dame joe

I haven’t watched this show in years so I pulled up the most recent cast. I was surprised to see how many of them are still alive considering how fast they used to kill them off.

I read the comics for awhile but eventually lost interest in those too. Did the TV show ever do The Whisperers storyline? That’s about where I checked out of the comics.

Yes.

On 3/28/2022 at 3:20 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

I can appreciate Maggie still getting in the tight, tailored,  jeans in a zombie holocaust when some baggy cargo pants might be more functional.  Shows she cares about me. 

I think jeans would be mildly safer. OTOH these rotting teeth zombies can bite through horse hide!?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Nole-4-Life said:

This show is still a thing? Gave up on it after Maggie left.

I was as big a WD fan as any when this started.  I've held on by a string over the past 3 years.  At this point, I just want to see what they do with the final episode.

The current "plot" is so convoluted, I have no idea what's going on.  And, it's not for lack of trying.  For example, the main bad guy is this wannabe dictator guy who goes around killing people randomly (or somesuch).  In EVERY scene, he has about 10 soldiers.  Most of them die.  The very next scene, 10 more.  This subplot has been going on for like 10 episodes.  Most of his soldiers die, he rounds the corner with 10 more from out of nowhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

Have the survivors established any sort of centralized organization? It seems like that would happen sooner or later, that a larger better-run group would show up at some point. Killing zombies would get pretty routine as well, like finding a big roach in your kitchen.

Oh who am I kidding, I’m sure it’s still just as dumb as ever.

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Have the survivors established any sort of centralized organization? It seems like that would happen sooner or later, that a larger better-run group would show up at some point. Killing zombies would get pretty routine as well, like finding a big roach in your kitchen.

Oh who am I kidding, I’m sure it’s still just as dumb as ever.

The stormtroopers of the Woodbury The Commonwealth have a functioning society that includes healthcare, currency, ice cream, HR departments, professional wrestling and orderly political protests.  Despite having finally discovered armor, the zombies can still get them in the joints.   The newborn zombies are fast enough to threaten. 

The scenes with the known cast members are actually good.  It is the also rans that have me scratching to remember their one and done story lines.

I quit watching not long after they got to the modern subdivision and Negan kept showing up in broad daylight where any halfway decent sniper could have popped him. Maybe someone will come up with an abridged episode guide and I’ll go back and catch the highlights from there. 

40 minutes ago, Augustus said:

How much time actually passed on the show, in terms of years?  It always seemed to me like the zombies would decay quickly enough that thing would run its course before too long.

I'd say about 12 years based on "Rick's" daughter, Judith.  She was in vitro during Season 1; about 12-ish now.  I put quotes because I couldn't remember if she was Rick or Shane's actual child.

• Hook 'Em 1

Season 1 was some of the most compelling tv ever. After they fired the showrunner Frank Darabont and put in filler content in Season 2 on the farm, i started to lose interest. Probably checked out after the prison or governor.

Carol was also my least favorite character. Must be married to one of the producers or something.

On 10/14/2022 at 6:28 AM, Eskimohorn said:

Season 1 was some of the most compelling tv ever. After they fired the showrunner Frank Darabont and put in filler content in Season 2 on the farm, i started to lose interest. Probably checked out after the prison or governor.

Carol was also my least favorite character. Must be married to one of the producers or something.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Let me preface this by saying that I rarely bitch about anything on this site - football game threads aside.  If I don't like something, I don't watch it.  And, I sure as hell don't seek out threads to add my 2 cents.  All that being said...

... this show is absolutely brutal to watch.  I'm only in because I've watched for years, and this is the last season.  I was BEGGING this episode to end.  Nothing makes any sense.  The "action" is terrible.  Every GD scene in which one of the main characters is in danger ends in deus ex machina.  Oh look, Daryll just happened to be under the car to shoot all the feux storm troopers.   And, now there's a GD trial?  Good Lord.

I just want to see what happens at the end as I'm assuming Rick will ride in to save the day.

17 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I just want to see what happens at the end as I'm assuming Rick will ride in to save the day.

I have a vague memory of Rick falling off a bridge and being rescued by the head garbage pail kid in a helicopter.  I hope it was a fever dream.

I wonder what we would think of this season without the memory of the first four.  The hardest thing about TWD is how it was once must see tv with a thread on every board on the internet. 

• Like 2

I stopped watching the season they were on the farm. I checked back in a while later just to see if they were still on the farm yet. Nope, they were in a prison, which was kinda like the farm. Checked back in later when they were dealing with the talking zombies, which would have been cool, evolving zombies, but nope, they were just people wearing skin. And somehow Neagan had become a good guy. I can suspend disbelief only so many times.

However, I discovered that if I just fast forward whenever its just two people talking, each episode only takes about 15 minutes to watch and is much more enjoyable. And I lose nothing as far as understanding what exactly is going on, because really, nothing is ever really going on.

I'll probably get high and watch the final season once it shows up on Netflix. I'm curious about the storm troopers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Negan is good now? How did they explain that one?

He... ah.  Who cares?  I will give you an idea as to how stupid this show it.  He got captured, spent an entire season or two in a jail, yapping to anyone that would listen.  He eventually helped some of the mainstays at some point.  Maggie didn't trust him.  Perhaps because he bashed in her kid's, father's head.  Here's the kicker.  About a season ago, she still didn't trust him.  A bunch of them got surrounded in an abandoned subway.  He left Maggie to die.  Two episodes later, they're best buds.  Yeah.  See?

Negan is good now? How did they explain that one?

It’s like when we almost hired Mike Stoops. Or, better example when Terrell Owens became a Cowboy.

But yeah I remember when he crushed Glenn’s melon with a baseball bat. Guess a heartfelt apology smoothed things over with his friends and lover. I’m guessing he redeemed himself by saving someone. But even then that wouldnt really do it. He’d be a grease spot next chance they’d get.

Real reason is plot armor.

Well, that figures.

I quit reading the comic books when they put Negan in jail because I was getting bored with them. I started reading them during the first couple seasons of the show because I was dying to find out what happened next. I wonder where the comic book story line went.

11 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

My favorite part of the show is Judith being an absolute bad ass from birth.

I killed my first deer with one shot from a .243 when I was 9. This after hunting and shooting under supervision since the age of 6 when I could hold a red rider. 

So that plot point actually makes sense to me.

You mean Shane and Lori's love child raised by Rick and Michonne, who's now Daryll's adopted daughter?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Madame Speaker of the Commonwealth isn't half bad.  But she's also maybe the @5th best villain.  

1. Governor

2. Negan

3. Gregory

4. Alpha 

5. Claimer guy

------------------

Bad Wolfie, Nurse-Cop Dawn, whoever was in charge of the cannibals.

It's kinda how I feel about the entire series. 

Edited by notre dame joe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/21/2023 at 8:15 AM, jeevsie said:

Late to the party.  Just finished last night from a straight-through binge.  How pissed were you folk when you saw the ending and said, "Cliffhanger?? WTF??!!?? This is supposed to be the END!!!!"

Considering there's 3 new WD spinoffs, not that surprising.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/21/2023 at 6:15 AM, jeevsie said:

Late to the party.  Just finished last night from a straight-through binge.  How pissed were you folk when you saw the ending and said, "Cliffhanger?? WTF??!!?? This is supposed to be the END!!!!"

Was it a cliffhanger?  The only thing I remember is Mon Momtha got deposed and arrested.  

• 6 months later...
On 11/23/2022 at 1:41 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

Ok question so I know where to pick back up. It’s been years. The last episode I saw I think Rick was being carried off in helicopter. Anyone remember what season that was?

I dunno when it was but they are resuming it now.  Yes, its back on.