RIP River Oaks Theatre

Macklemore

Last day the River Oaks theater is open. Houston is losing a treasure. Weingarten Realty are a bunch of bastards. They tried to knock it down 15 years ago and now they’ve get their wish in finally getting them to close. They’re a horrible landlord to deal with, especially with their response to the pandemic.

Edited by Macklemore

I saw so many classics there. It was also a house for the off beat. Saw Zardoz there.

The experience spilled over to campus before videos seized the market. One summer I bought $15 ticket to see a double feature twice a week. The 30s Good Time Hard Times was the theme. Best entertainment value ever. Me heart was forever seized by Jean Arthur and the young Katherine Hepburn.

The River Oaks was a bastion. 

RIP a big screen venue for old films.

On 3/26/2021 at 7:20 PM, Chet Steadman said:

Not a fan of Weingarten but didn’t someone on here about three months ago post ROT hasn’t paid rent since last March?

If true, what do you expect?

So, yeah, movie theaters go shut down and Weingarten wants to put in another 2-3 boutique stores that turn over every 18-24 months and don't really drive other patrons to the area.   If I was going to ROT, I was probably having dinner and/or drinks at a local restaurant before or after the show.  I don't have any reason to frequent that area now and I freaking work(ed) in the area (AIG).  Not going out of my way to visit Joseph A. Banks or Kroger in River Oaks when I live in Kingwood.  But if the right movie was playing at ROT, I would often drive into town on a Saturday or Sunday for dinner and a movie.   Hell, on more week nights than I can remember I drove home and BACK to ROT for a movie and local dinner.  

• 10 months later...
On 3/28/2021 at 3:20 PM, Macanudo said:

So, yeah, movie theaters go shut down and Weingarten wants to put in another 2-3 boutique stores that turn over every 18-24 months and don't really drive other patrons to the area.   If I was going to ROT, I was probably having dinner and/or drinks at a local restaurant before or after the show.  I don't have any reason to frequent that area now and I freaking work(ed) in the area (AIG).  Not going out of my way to visit Joseph A. Banks or Kroger in River Oaks when I live in Kingwood.  But if the right movie was playing at ROT, I would often drive into town on a Saturday or Sunday for dinner and a movie.   Hell, on more week nights than I can remember I drove home and BACK to ROT for a movie and local dinner.  

Agree with all of this. I lived and worked close to the ROT for years, and now live closer your way, but in Atascocita. A ROT night for the wife and I usually included dinner/drinks at Brasserie across the street (or Tony’s place before that) and an after movie coffee/dessert at that French bakery place. The other retail places aren’t special and have never been much of a draw. For whatever reason, music based docs and movies was my draw to ROT. I saw the Pearl Jam PJ20 doc there and the Oasis: Supersonic doc there, as well as Walk The Line, Crazy Heart, and a few other music type movies. Maybe it’s the booze, but it has great ambience for that sort of thing.