Houston sports talk news - Adam Clanton fired from 790

GHOSTUSER

https://www.chron.com/sports/article/Adam-Clanton-out-at-KBME-AM-790-12876032.php

Adam Clanton is out from 790’s afternoon drive time show leaving just Sean Jones and Jayson Braddock. Dipshit, no-class Josh Innes rips into Clanton on his show after his firing like he did with Charlie Pallilo. How the hell does Innes have a job. Clanton wasn’t the smartest or most knowledgeable guy when it came to sports but he helped keep the afternoon show listenable. I like Braddock a lot but he needs a better partner than just Sean Jones.

http://sheltonmedia.blogspot.com/

Here’s more to the Adam Clanton firing from Lamont:

On the surface, it comes off as a big snooze unless you know the backstory.  A year ago, Josh Innes and Adam Clanton got into a situation. 

Adam alerted the Powers that Be, that Josh Innes was wearing a OKC Thunder Shirt.   From that situation, Adam sort of had a gag order imposed on him from referencing Josh.

Fast Forward a year later, over the weekend someone found a take by Josh on JJ Watt being a bad pick from 7 years ago, Adam retweeted it.  Josh caught wind of it, and addressed it on air by mocking Adam in a Jerome Rome Style cadence.

The end result, Adam was released and Josh got suspended.

Honestly, I don't think anything should have came of this.   A simple retweet shouldn't get a person fired and Josh's segment was blah.  It almost feels as if the writing was on the wall.

I told a few people, the Josh and Adam situation was med, what was more interesting is listening to the Blitz (Fred Faour and AJ Hoffman) address it.  I think they were honest and fair but I heard Fred say people at ESPN 975 were celebrating that Adam got fired

On 5/1/2018 at 10:53 AM, Iconoclast Texan said:

I like Braddock a lot but he needs a better partner than just Sean Jones.

Braddock is just OK.  He seems to try too hard and it does work.  He's like the kid in class giving his presentation that was supposed to be 10min long and is done after 6 so he tries to string it out however possible.

Sean Jones is completely unlistenable about 70% of the time.

On 5/2/2018 at 7:17 AM, Enchubben said:

Houston sports radio is just a beating these days. Don’t know or care to know the back story on this but Clanton appeared to be the only worthwhile piece on that show.

fatass inness is almost unlistenable 

Clanton was the most boring person on the radio.  just awful

On 5/2/2018 at 8:43 AM, msbesq said:

Even John and Lance have failed to recreate the magic they once had. Charlie is the only one I listen to anymore, along with a little of Sean, Ted and Rich.

disagree.   97.5 in the am is pretty solid and leaps and bounds better than any other show.

I do like Charlie, 2 hours is a good dose of him.

I primarily listen to 97.5/1560 all day.  I think Shawn is great at 610, but can't listen to Rich Lord without wanting to kill myself.  Clanton getting fired was a non-event because he wasn't that good or very interesting.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

I like 97.5/94.1, however if you're outside of the loop the station fades pretty quick. Can't understand how you can operate a radio station with such a shitty broadcast range.

concur.  I live 23 miles from center of downtown and can't hardly get 97.5.  I realize I'm in burbs, but not like I'm in Fulshear or Montgomery or something.  geez.

Once Charlie got fired to make room for that no talent ass clown Innes, I knew Houston radio was doomed. I hung around and gave a couple of shows a chance, but was shocked at the lack sports knowledge they possessed. Many of them hardly talk sports at all and rarely take any calls, which is what I really appreciated about Charlie’s format. Him dissecting a caller’s sports take was a thing of beauty and simply can’t be replicated. 

I was ecstatic to hear that he came back to Houston radio but, of course, 94.1 sucks ass 30 miles out. So I get a steady diet of Sirius XM and podcasts at the moment. As for Clanton, he did a solid Jim Rome Impression, that’s all I got. 

• 3 weeks later...

More Houston sports talk firings and line up changes have happened. 610 got rid of Techtard Cody Stoots. I hate to see anyone lose their job but Stoots didn’t really add much and I couldn’t listen to him or aggy Lopez for very long before switching stations. 

Paul Gallant will move from nights to morning drive with Mike Meltser and Seth Payne, and Landry Locker and Fred Davis will join Lopez in middays. Gallant is a know it all millennial Rockets hater but he is at least interesting host that I will not change the dial out of boredom like I did with Stoots. Rich Lord, Sean Pendergast and Ted Johnson will continue in afternoon drive time.

There's no word on the station's plans for the 7-10 p.m. slot vacated by Gallant's move, but program director Ryan McCredden said the station will have local programming at night.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/article/On-TV-Radio-Davis-Gallant-eager-to-start-new-12942454.php

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

This is Lamont’s take on the changes going on at 610. I think adding Gallant will definitely improve MaD radio.

http://sheltonmedia.blogspot.com/

Out of the box,  Sports Radio 610 reorganized

• Paul Gallant is going to the mornings
  • Landry Locker is going to the mid day show with John Lopez
  • Fred Davis is going to the mid day show with John Lopez
  • Cody Stoots is out
  • 610 Night show will be a Gumbo of local talent
My Thoughts

MAD Radio needed Paul Gallant or hell even Mona Lisa for that matter.  That show needed someone to match Seth Payne's energy, Mike Meltser is not getting it done.  If you are a hardcore listener, it's nothing more than the Texans Post Game.  Paul provided that shot in the arm to Texans Post game shows.   Seth and Mike, while cerebral are not interactive with fans.   The last few months they've up'd their call volume but it still feels awkward.   Their calls feel like Fan Feedback (takes with no interaction) little to no dialogue.  To be honest, I think both are swell guys but they just don't jive with their audience.  They are locked into their own little safe bubble of debating with each other and using big SAT words.

In comes Paul.  I have busted Paul's balls for years, I have seen this kid actively go out and create his name.  He started the whole "Most interactive show"  that some in the market have piggy backed with shits like "shortest wait times".  I have also seen him reach out to Houston Rappers and tried his best to learn the rap culture of this city.  He is interactive and very honest in his sports takes no matter how wild they may be.

There are rumblings that Paul is there to replace Mike who's in Law School.   While this may be true, I've listened to Mike for nearly a decade, that dude loves sports, I can't see him leaving Sports Talk.

I don't think it's enough to overcome John Granato, Lance Zierlein and Josh Innes.  610 is too formulaic but it will be interesting for about a WEEK.  

As far as Fred and Landry joining Lopez; I really hope they have enough energy to make that slot somewhat entertaining.   I cut for Landry and Fred but both are into themselves talk.    I will give it a listen,  but I have preconceived notions of what it will be.  

Wrap Up

At first I thought it was cost cutting with 610 being under new management but it seems like they have only reallocated resources.  I believe their ratings slump is forcing them to look at their line up differently.

I don’t even really like Texans talk during the season...Lolz.  Unless it is Texans puppets pondering how they could possibly suck this bad for a decade and a half, what with the super corch and all...

I do wish there were more CPallillos on various topics in our market.  The sophomoric attempts at humor and bathroom jokes get on my last nerve.  How do they possibly think any of that garbage is funny?

1. Talk sports

2. Talk about local/ relevant stuff, not the same material as the national guys.

I did a quick search and found out why you guys are getting a shitty signal on 97.5. Their tower is 9 miles south of Winnie. That's 60 miles from downtown on flat land, 1900 ft tower, 100KW. Houston proper is in their distant coverage area.

KFNC_FM_LU.gif

Is Dallas sports talk radio just so much better than Houston’s? I have never listened to Dallas sports talk. The Ticket has higher ratings and market share than all 4 Houston sports talk stations combined.

Yes34

I did a quick search and found out why you guys are getting a shitty signal on 97.5. Their tower is 9 miles south of Winnie. That's 60 miles from downtown on flat land, 1900 ft tower, 100KW. Houston proper is in their distant coverage area.
KFNC_FM_LU.gif

Who gives a shit about the east side of Houston, from a marketing perspective? If its all about advertising, all the money in Houston is on the west side and to not have the west side be able to hear your station clearly seems stupid. But what the hell do I know?

97.5 is shitty when you CAN hear it.

They're among the worst when it comes to the bathroom humor and idiotic bullshit that they think is cute.

It's a fucking beating in general.  I do like the show on the afternoon drive home to a certain degree.  They talk sports betting, MMA( of which i am not a fan but I like hearing about different stuff,) and keep it above board most of time.

19 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

Who gives a shit about the east side of Houston, from a marketing perspective? If its all about advertising, all the money in Houston is on the west side and to not have the west side be able to hear your station clearly seems stupid. But what the hell do I know?

East Ender here !

#eastend 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Pretty cool nostalgia trip this morning with Matt Jackson and Adam Wexler filling in for Josh Innes this morning on 790. I always liked those 2 guys, especially Wexler.

Caught part of it this morning too.  Always thought they were much better than the first incarnation....Matt and Jeremy.  

The worst part about Houston sports radio was the penchant all of the guys seem(ed) to have, exception Lance, to unnecessarily needle Longhorn sports and sports fans.

I'm not suggesting they be homers for all things Horns but a lot of their takes are just uninformed at best.

• 2 weeks later...

Jayson Braddock and Sean Jones’ 790 afternoon drive time show was canceled on Monday and the geniuses there have hired Sean Salisbury with a yet to be named host. Yuck. I have listened to Salisbury a couple times on KGOW and I don’t like him at all. He was vocal about blowing up the Dome which rubbed me raw since he is not a local. I used to listen 790 most of the day but except for Matt Thomas, Astros and Rockets games I rarely tune in. That started with getting rid of Charlie. I like Ross Villarreal and the Soulless Ginger and those 2 should have been bumped up to the afternoon show. I liked Braddock a lot because he didn’t sugarcoat the Texans’ mismanagement under Tricky Rick. In other news, Adam Clanton was back on the air on Monday as a fill host on 610’s In the Loop filling in for Pendergast and Ted Johnson.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/article/Former-NFL-QB-Sean-Salisbury-790-AM-afternoon-13007162.php

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

9 minutes ago, ScottishHorn said:

That sucks.  I liked that show.  Sean Jones is really good imo

Really? Sean Jones always sounds like he has rocks in his mouth when talking. I liked him as a player with the Oilers but he wasn’t very interesting and always talked about his time with the Raiders and Packers and never the Oilers.

On 6/11/2018 at 7:18 PM, ScottishHorn said:

610 is just awful.  I think the Innes morning show has 3 times the ratings of 610.  It's the #1 sports show which is why he wont get fired, at least right now.  Lopez basically killed 610 mornings single handedly til they gave him a noon slot that nobody listens to

Innes is not #1, but has been in his time slot the last few months.  I think John and Lance passed him in the last book, but he has regularly still been behind both the Blitz (97.5 from 4-7) and the show before it from 1-4.

I liked Braddock.  I was not much of a fan of Jones or Clanton.  There partnership made for terrible radio.