Key Fob Programming

I only got one key fob when I bought my car. About to give my son the car and am worried about not having an extra. I bought a non OEM fob off eBay and need it programmed. Does anyone have any experience having this done? This is for keyless push start button cars.

1 hour ago, iamthepush said:

You're not going to be able to program this. Locksmith should be able to take care of you. Call to make sure before you show up.

You're going to need a scan tool and PIN

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

That's some bullshit.  I've been able to program GMs for 10+ years.  Never tried it with Acura.

I bought one for the GF's old Toyota off ebay about 10 years ago.  Programming it was the goofiest fucking thing imaginable. 

It went something like this:

1) Open door

2) Close door

3) Open door 

4) Close door

5) turn key On

6) Open door

7) Close door

8 Turn key on

9 Turn key off

10 Open door

11 honk horn

12 turn key on

13 honk horn

14 close door

And on and on and on.  At the end , the final instruction was "press lock door on fob, and I'll be damned of the doors didn't lock.  

I thought somebody was pranking me with the goofy-ass process, but I suppose it was a series of events that the computer knew couldn't possible be ransom.

The bottom line is, you're programming the car, not the fob.  

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I bought one for the GF's old Toyota off ebay about 10 years ago.  Programming it was the goofiest fucking thing imaginable. 

It went something like this:

1) Open door

2) Close door

3) Open door 

4) Close door

5) turn key On

6) Open door

7) Close door

8 Turn key on

9 Turn key off

10 Open door

11 honk horn

12 turn key on

13 honk horn

14 close door

And on and on and on.  At the end , the final instruction was "press lock door on fob, and I'll be damned of the doors didn't lock.  

I thought somebody was pranking me with the goofy-ass process, but I suppose it was a series of events that the computer knew couldn't possible be ransom.

The bottom line is, you're programming the car, not the fob.  

This is correct (not the actual sequence, but the larger point). Just did it with a prius fob and sienna fob that I bought off eBay. However, it really does depend on the make, model, and technology. My prius has keyless entry and push button start. The push button wouldn't work with the eBay fob. I had to buy from a dealership, but look around online and search for recommendations from a Kia or Optima forum because dealerships offer very different pricing. There was a $150+ difference between online dealerships for mine. Then just search how to program it. There were dozens of videos of people walking you through it.

7 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

This is correct (not the actual sequence, but the larger point). Just did it with a prius fob and sienna fob that I bought off eBay. However, it really does depend on the make, model, and technology. My prius has keyless entry and push button start. The push button wouldn't work with the eBay fob. I had to buy from a dealership, but look around online and search for recommendations from a Kia or Optima forum because dealerships offer very different pricing. There was a $150+ difference between online dealerships for mine. Then just search how to program it. There were dozens of videos of people walking you through it.

Part of the reason for this is to make it difficult for someone to buy an unprogrammed fob, slip into an unlocked car in a parking lot or driveway, and drive off with the car.

Not only is it slow and laborious, but it is conspicuous and pretty much guaranteed to draw attention.

Edited by TwiceHorn

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Part of the reason for this is to make it difficult for someone to buy an unprogrammed fob, slip into an unlocked car in a parking lot or driveway, and drive off with the car.

Not only is it slow and laborious, but it is conspicuous and pretty much guaranteed to draw attention.

Ha, I definitely got some strange looks just doing it in my driveway

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a 2017 Nissan and like a retard  somehow lost my only fob recently. (I promise I don't have a husband)

The locksmith told me (after I shelled out $300) that if I ever wanted to get a spare he'd program it for $50. 

So, you could probably do it yourself, or pay $50 and know that it won't be fucked up. 

On 5/19/2021 at 5:01 PM, iamthepush said:

You're not going to be able to program this. Locksmith should be able to take care of you. Call to make sure before you show up.

You're going to need a scan tool and PIN

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

This is correct answer for this specific car/FOB. It's just stupid money grab on these damn remotes. Replace some of the new ones can be hundreds of dollars plus programming. Programming which takes all of 2 minutes tops.  I do appreciate some of the makers making this a DIY capable item. With the new phone "keys" this will go away, but I'm sure they will find a way to charge us somehow.