EPL 2021-22

maninblack

35 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

anyone who follows the EPL knows that the running joke about Arsenal constantly getting shafted by officiating isn't some meme, it's a fact

Besides the recent FA final you won against us where Chelsea was completely shafted. Assuming you mean not including matches like that. 

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i watched Fabinho make about six or seven tactical fouls vs spurs before getting booked. you can't tell me that arsenal don't get officiated differently.

Or maybe your team should learn some discipline?

Or your coach should teach it?

I haven’t watched every red card that Arsenal has gotten. But if the ones I’ve seen, none were undeserved.

The two that come to mind right now are this one and the double yellow on the same play a few months back. Right calls.

What I do see is a team with players that don’t back off when they pick up cards. They keep up with physical play and are asking the ref to send them off. 

Actually, Holding’s as wrong as it should have been a straight red. 

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

I would note, he is right about Fabinho. Dude did the same thing to Son over the weekend and I felt like the ref missed it. I was surprised to see VAR not take a look at that too.

Whatever, bad calls happen.

Yup. Brazilian DM's get away with murder. It's the rules. See also, Casemiro, Fernandinho.

17 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I would note, he is right about Fabinho. Dude did the same thing to Son over the weekend and I felt like the ref missed it. I was surprised to see VAR not take a look at that too.

Whatever, bad calls happen.

Well it's good that Liverpool never benefit from VAR or the lack of VAR............

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

uh, yeah you can. there isn't a single ball into the box from a corner or a close free kick where 10x more violent/intentional clashes happen with no call. tierney called a handball, the replay showed that call to be wrong, so they said, 'fuck it, we'll just call it a foul, because we can call a foul on literally every single ball into the box like that." 

it reminds me of this moment from the FA Cup final between Arsenal and Villa:

0DF6395F-A5EE-441B-ABB4-0CF174847182.thumb.jpeg.548796d7cb19c1a994d401ae36951461.jpeg

Koscielny gets his shirt pulled over his head hockey style on a corner with no call. ask a chelsea fan or an arsenal fan- Giroud routinely got straight manhandled on corners, and he wouldn't complain even a little bit because it's simply SOP to be able to just thrash attackers in the box. whatever contact made by Cedric today is never ever ever called a penalty, which is exactly why his "foul" wasn't even called until the VAR review took place.

what happened today was a referee making an incorrect call, only to be bailed out by his buddies working the VAR, because obviously. you've never heard Arteta say the things he said after the match today. this was a total screw job. the officials absolutely took over and decided what should have been an intensely thrilling game. fuck everything that happened today. total horseshit. 

Nah.  It was a foul.  He went through Son's back as he was jumping to head the ball.  Your whataboutism make-believe notwithstanding, it was a foul and a good call.  

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

absolute sham. i'm not watching tottenham beat arsenal, i'm watching arsenal being blasted in the ass incompetent officiating. the game starts off like it's bulls vs pistons in the late 80's, and then out of nowhere the home team starts getting the softest/most bullshit-ass favorable calls left and right, and the game is completely changed. absolute fucking horse shit. ive watched this arsenal teams lose a lot of games that they straight up deserved to lose. this has not been one of them. infuriating. 

You really sound like a whiny bitch with this hot take that the refs always beat you. Holding got away with 2 or 3 before his first yellow that could have easily been a yellow. The penalty on Son was justifiable. Could have gone either way, but went against you. 

The lack of discipline is why you are racking up all the reds - 13 since Arteta took over, with next highest in the league being Brighton & Hove with 8, then Everton and Southampton with 7. Season’s  not over though, Leeds might surpass you.

Edited by Doug E. Fresh

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Or maybe your team should learn some discipline?

Or your coach should teach it?

I haven’t watched every red card that Arsenal has gotten. But if the ones I’ve seen, none were undeserved.

here's my evidence than you can even wrap your head around: facts, stats, and empirical evidence showing that arsenal get officiated differently than anyone else. go ahead and check out these countless examples:

https://dailycannon.com/2022/02/arsenal-red-cards/amp/ 

remember, if you're playing against Arsenal, then this isn't even a foul, and that's with VAR:

1 hour ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

You really sound like a whiny bitch with this hot take that the refs always beat you. Holding got away with 2 or 3 before his first yellow that could have easily been a yellow. The penalty on Son was justifiable. Could have gone either way, but went against you. 

The lack of discipline is why you are racking up all the reds - 13 since Arteta took over, with next highest in the league being Brighton & Hove with 8, then Everton and Southampton with 7. Season’s  not over though, Leeds might surpass you.

77F76C28-6FF6-47F5-9C30-486BBE3E5DAE.jpeg.1a6f32aec24e5a90465dc842cc63d6a6.jpeg

81EAC637-069E-418C-A349-E84B9A01D499.jpeg.80a91673257d565b50c4253ebff35980.jpeg

6D942F9F-FBD1-4D3E-8519-8C352A4E5948.jpeg.aa24d92cd14b0ced387383efeadfdf46.jpeg

2 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Nah.  It was a foul.  He went through Son's back as he was jumping to head the ball.  Your whataboutism make-believe notwithstanding, it was a foul and a good call.  

again, the challenge wasn't even called a foul until the VAR review revealed there was no handball. second, go ahead and justify for me how that deserved a penalty, while this wasn't even called a foul:

red card for arsenal:

not a red card:

5AC8DBCF-2870-465A-92B0-57BA7084C70F.thumb.jpeg.c385d6d13ea8d9e4e49d1f00b6adf3f2.jpeg

87C9BC34-C9EB-4DCE-BFBA-522219C16A06.thumb.jpeg.ea5511d2a8de79c4f37e4ca61e6ea652.jpeg

go read r/soccer (well, don't, that place sucks), and see how the fans of other clubs giddily laugh at all of the inconsistent, terrible calls against arsenal, acknowledging and in fact reveling in this fact. every week you see something that has them saying, "only Arsenal could get a player sent off for that foul. 😂😂😂"

it's not a meme. it's reality. i don't call it a conspiracy, but it's real. arsenal get officiated differently from any other team. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Are you kidding me? So your source is an Arsenal homer from Belfast. Gotcha

he backs up everything he says with stats, facts, and commentary from former EPL referees and and players. but go ahead and ignore all of that, because the guy who has aggregated these stats and facts is shockingly an Arsenal fan. 👌🏼 

i stated a long time ago in this thread that holding deserved that. that's not the issue. this is:

that, and calling a penalty for a handball, then doing a VAR review, realizing there was no handball, and going, "eh i already called it a penalty, so let's just call it a foul anyway." that moment completely changed the game. 

and don't even try to tell me that the contact cedric made deserved a penalty when this wasn't even so much as a foul:

It was a foul in the box regardless. That's a legit pen and since liVARpool are not involved I assume it's getting reviewed and a pen is called.

The Kane example. Kane turns his back. The ball is in play. Definitely a foul.
Holding. No ball and there is zero intent at a technical foul. It's clear he is attempting to injur Son because he was getting worked like a Tijuana whore.

like i said earlier in the thread:

a)Tierney called the penalty for a handball, and only changed it once the VAR refuted that idea, this is already bad enough

and then 

b)i pointed out that you could call a foul on every single ball that's played into the box like that, no question. so why was this foul deemed particularly egregious when so many worse pieces of play go uncalled? Mark Clattenburg agrees:

E1A2CB2D-95B3-4B18-8740-ED91C222B48D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Whatabout...
Whatabout...
Whatabout...
Whatabout...
Whatabout...
Whatabout...
Whatabout...
Whatabout...

What I can say is if you don't think the David Luiz one is a red card, you should look at the concept of Denial of Goal Scoring Opportunity rules.

people who clearly don't know what they're talking about are in here saying that Arsenal deserve to have all of those refs despite being at the bottom of the league in fouls committed. they say Arsenal simply lacks discipline and gets punished for it. and yet none of those ^^^^, all from this year, was given a red. the tomiyasu face stomp wasn't even a foul, just like the Son elbow from yesterday. these are facts. our team gets officiated differently than any other. i don't know why that is, but it's the truth.

8BDDEA66-2F15-4D8F-980C-8CE07BB71E6C.thumb.jpeg.4e8234785469c4bc16f3f92d85cbb07e.jpeg

you're only making my point. ^^^ Auba pulled down from behind by Evans when he's through on goal and was 1 v 1 with the keeper. no red card. yet when Neves incidentally makes the slightest amount of contact possible with Luis's knee, well that's just a by-the-book red. 

Arsenal gets officiated differently than other teams, and Tierney and his crew were awful yesterday. that's facts.

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i stated a long time ago in this thread that holding deserved that. that's not the issue. this is:

that, and calling a penalty for a handball, then doing a VAR review, realizing there was no handball, and going, "eh i already called it a penalty, so let's just call it a foul anyway." that moment completely changed the game. 

and don't even try to tell me that the contact cedric made deserved a penalty when this wasn't even so much as a foul:

You’re delusional. Holding played loose and wild yesterday. Wasn’t the officials that caught Arsenal, you got beat straight up.

look, you have 2 light matches left and if you win you’re set in the top 4. I’m off to the FA CuP tomorrow. Hope Chelsea gets this shit done but gonna be tough.

12 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

You’re delusional. Holding played loose and wild yesterday. Wasn’t the officials that caught Arsenal, you got beat straight up.

43 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i've repeatedly said throughout this thread that holding deserved what he got and that i do not believe there's any conspiracy. please stop with these types of lazy posts. 

^^^^^^^^^

and no, Arsenal did not get beat straight up. Arsenal were in the middle of a competitive match when a phantom penalty was given to spurs, completely changing the balance of the game. 

a)handball was the original call, but was somehow changed upon review, but more importantly b)far worse "collisions" than that one happen on literally every single corner kick that's taken in the EPL, and they are never called for fouls. if a penalty was given every time that ^^^^ happened then the EPL would be higher scoring than the NFL. that was a phantom penalty, and it completely swayed the game in Tottenham's favor. 

24 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Keep the dream alive brother. Win out and you’re in the top 4. But the refs aren’t out to get you. 

i've never believed that they are out to get us. ever. it's a ridiculous idea. but for whatever reason, arsenal consistently gets officiated differently from what we see for other teams around the league. it's just straight up puzzling to me. 

ie- when Martinelli was sent off earlier this year by getting two yellow cards in one run of play. some arsenal fan immediately found footage of the same exact officiating crew from like a week or two prior, and no card was given to a player in that game who committed the exact same "obstruct the throw in" foul that Martinelli was booked/sent off for. again, it's just puzzling and frustrating.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

i've never believed that they are out to get us. ever. it's a ridiculous idea. but for whatever reason, arsenal consistently gets officiated differently from what we see for other teams around the league. it's just straight up puzzling to me. 

ie- when Martinelli was sent off earlier this year by getting two yellow cards in one run of play. some arsenal fan immediately found footage of the same exact officiating crew from like a week or two prior, and no card was given to a player in that game who committed the exact same "slow down the throw in" foul that Martinelli was booked/sent off for. again, it's just puzzling and frustrating.

I get your frustration, maybe, but I can tell you it’s not a common view. This is coming from someone that lives in Central London and am around supporters of all major teams.

21 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

I get your frustration, maybe, but I can tell you it’s not a common view. This is coming from someone that lives in Central London and am around supporters of all major teams.

that's fair, and it makes sense. i don't expect fans of other teams to keep up with arsenal, or how our matches are officiated, etc. i certainly don't keep up with any other team nearly as much as i do with my own. so i doubt that many people even know or care about the puzzling decisions that continue to go against the club that i support.

i will say though that i have no qualms placing blame on my team or owning up to arsenal player's mistakes when they make them. i have no problem being objective, whether it's texas hoops, arsenal, whatever. for example i was watching the game with my mom, and when Son elbowed Holding in the face she got upset and i said to her, "honestly i don't mind. this is a huge game. i like it that the players care this much, and i think that games this big should be officiated as if it were a street ball game with the players calling their own fouls- at least as close to that as is reasonably possible for an EPL official." but then just a few minutes later we had the phantom handball/baby shit soft penalty on Cedric, and that really fired me up. you can't officiate the game one way for 15-20 minutes and then suddenly change on a dime in favor of the home team. that's the worst. 

FWIW The Athletic posted an article today about how the NLD was shaped by officiating decisions, and on a much bigger scale, how home field advantage in the EPL has been A)really ramped up this year, and B)been influenced by the fans/atmosphere, this after the covid season with empty stadiums. The article:

https://theathletic.com/3309978/2022/05/13/cox-how-home-advantage-var-and-five-subs-or-not-shaped-outcome-of-north-london-derby/?source=user_shared_article