EPL 2021-22

maninblack

Just now, Captain Ron said:

The points are still possible. But both teams need help. Spurs can win out and still finish 5th. Liverpool can win out and still finish 2nd. 

I agree but it’s not like Arsenal is a world beater. I get thinking the title race could be over because City is City, although they don’t have a particularly easy run in, but the idea that’s the race for 4th is over is crazy. None of those teams can be counted on to win out

32 minutes ago, Stringer said:

Jesus Christ, what has gotten into Pickford? He’s been incredible the last few weeks. He just made 3 huge saves in about 10 minutes.

Well known that I am not his biggest fan but he was remarkable today. Hell of a day. 

LOL at our fans acting like they just won champions league. 

Edited by sidis

See the singing and emotion in the Everton supporters. I know that feeling.

my fondest and most emotional Southampton memory was the 1-0 victory against Swansea on the 37th game of the 2016/17 season that brought us out of 18th place while mathematically avoiding relegation. I literally cried. 

it’s kinda fucked up. Maybe, with a few breaks and luck, one day in my lifetime we will win a cup and I will have an emotional reaction that matches.  

Win a title? Never in my lifetime.  

Edited by yoladu

It's time Leicester. Rodgers ain't the guy. 

On the EFL side, Bournemouth join Fulham in coming back up. Luton Town is playing Huddersfield on the 13th and 16th and will face the winner of Sheffield United and Nottingham Forest who play on the 14th and 17th. These matches should be on ESPN+. Hoping either Forest or Luton Town make it out of the playoff for that final spot. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stringer said:

Jesus Christ, what has gotten into Pickford? He’s been incredible the last few weeks. He just made 3 huge saves in about 10 minutes.

It’s easy to forget because he plays for such a shite club, but he is one of the best keepers in the world. Certainly England’s best. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

It’s easy to forget because he plays for such a shite club, but he is one of the best keepers in the world. Certainly England’s best. 

We have a different opinion of best in the world. John Harrison has him ranked as the worst 1vs1 keeper in the league this season. 

Edited by Firemans4Horn

16 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

BB9E1516-AD09-410E-BBC3-1DE4D30CEDB9.jpeg.ab6f682a882add2e2f7de666bb8ebc7c.jpeg

the article: https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12565978/aaron-ramsdale-vs-jordan-pickford-arsenal-and-everton-goalkeepers-compared-ahead-of-england-games

tl;dr: Ramsdale is the better keeper, but pickford "hasn't let gareth south gate down."

17 hours ago, mdmost said:

It's time Leicester. Rodgers ain't the guy. 

He went from being named as a possibility for every job available for big clubs to probably going to get fired in the matter of a few months.

Lesson: Take the job when it's offered because things change quickly.

Edited by Cheeseweasel

26 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

These stats are meaningless on face value. Every single one is influenced by the quality of defense in front of you and where the opponent is shooting from.

that's fine, just read the article and all you'll see is every single coach, pundit, and expert saying that Ramsdale is the better keeper. which he probably is. i'm not saying it's definitive, but the idea that pickford is undoubtedly the best English keeper is just wrong. Ramsdale is just as talented as Pickford, but without the inconsistent, up and down play. he's also much better with the ball at his feet which is really important for the modern keeper. Rob Holding said that Ramsdale might be the best passer at Arsenal. he's not (odegaard is), but Holding's praise is valid. Ramsdale is built for the modern game. 

also:

C3C13653-C5CC-4E7E-88A9-AE72D63F3A84.jpeg.4e0c45691fe8fefd81d45860cc27c000.jpeg

20899846-EA35-4C29-B850-3457348CBF91.thumb.jpeg.5a58a0e4731e442316fcd7d2fcf85671.jpeg

A5AE011F-5A9F-4481-BDF4-795192643A63.thumb.jpeg.e5646fcfe85847b3fb01d82820cd0780.jpeg

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

the final piece of the article:

Sky Sports' Zinny Boswell on the Essential Football Podcast:"

"He's (Ramsdale) definitely been the best English goalkeeper performing in the Premier League this season, but - and it's a big but - Jordan Pickford, despite the criticism he gets at Everton, has never let Gareth Southgate down.

"Before the Euros there were a lot of question marks over whether he should play, but he was pretty spotless at that tournament.

"It would be a massive call if come Qatar, Southgate says 'on your bike' and puts Ramsdale in goal. Any mistake would just be magnified, and everyone would be asking where Pickford.

"Saying that, I would just stress again that he's definitely been the best English goalkeeper this season so it's certainly up for debate."

so yeah, the idea that pickford is world class and "definitely" the best English keeper is empirically wrong. 

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

"It would be a massive call if come Qatar, Southgate says 'on your bike' and puts Ramsdale in goal. Any mistake would just be magnified, and everyone would be asking where Pickford.

"Why will England never win the World Cup again?"

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

These stats are meaningless on face value. Every single one is influenced by the quality of defense in front of you and where the opponent is shooting from.

That’s true but Ramsdale is way better than Pickford. I think I would have Pickford as 7th best GK in the EPL at best

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Ederson

Allison

Mendy

Ramsdale

Lloris 

de Gea 

Pickford

that's the top 6 + Pickford. i think Pickford would rank 6th at the highest among this group. 

You also have guys like Jose Sa, Emi Martinez, and Kasper that are at least on Pickfords level if not better. He’s just an average GK with short arms 

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Ederson

Allison

Mendy

Ramsdale

Lloris 

de Gea 

Pickford

that's the top 6 + Pickford. i think Pickford would rank 6th at the highest among this group. 

Gosh, how do the "Top 6"  keep finishing in the top 6 of the table every year.

Edited by yoladu

31 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Gosh, how do the "Top 6"  keep finishing in the top 6 of the table every year.

I know we spent a load on Kepa, but it's pretty nuts that Mendy, who was supposed to be a band aid, has turned out to be on of the best in the EPL.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Gettin%2Barab%2Bmoney%2B_1458ad3c582f7e0

and how many PL clubs can spend £36 mil on one player in the summer and then £40.50 mil on another the following winter? I know I am guilty of being a whiny baby about it at times too, but each club has it's station. Live with it.

05d.jpg

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

and how many PL clubs can spend £36 mil on one player in the summer and then £40.50 mil on another the following winter? I know I am guilty of being a whiny baby about it at times too, but each club has it's station. Live with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok, I stepped in it with the Pickford hyperbole, own that. He's still good and can have flashes of hot streaks.

23 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Yes, but, you would think it would basically track relative, meaning if Pickford faced 10% or 20% more shots, he would give up 10% or 20% more goals, but this is about 30% more shots and around 2x the goals. Again, I agree with the defense/where/etc you mention, but that's a lot.

Goalkeepers are hard to compare because each team asks/requires their keeper to do something different. Is it harder to make a lot of reflex saves in quick succession (which is Pickford's best skill), or to make one or two tough saves per game while playing on a team that dominates possession? I'd argue the latter.  

Pickford is pretty good for Everton because he faces quite a few shots and he thrives on being called on to make reflex saves pretty frequently. But he can't play the ball out of the back for shit and he's prone to absolutely laughable gaffes at times. He could never play on a top team though.

• Hook 'Em 1