EPL 2021-22

maninblack

37 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i've never believed that they are out to get us. ever. it's a ridiculous idea. but for whatever reason, arsenal consistently gets officiated differently from what we see for other teams around the league. it's just straight up puzzling to me. 

ie- when Martinelli was sent off earlier this year by getting two yellow cards in one run of play. some arsenal fan immediately found footage of the same exact officiating crew from like a week or two prior, and no card was given to a player in that game who committed the exact same "obstruct the throw in" foul that Martinelli was booked/sent off for. again, it's just puzzling and frustrating.

i used ie when i should have used eg and it's bugging me to the point where i need to issue this mea culpa: my bad, my blunder. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i agree, although i could see declan rice winning the YPOY. people love that guy. 

So stupid but the English will English. People thought bad hair Lallana was gonna be all works for City because he’s English. He’s got fewer goals than Matip.

Obviously Foden and TAA are English but they aren’t the small club guys that the English fall in love with.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Haha 1

First leg of the EFL playoff complete. Huddersfield and Luton Town are tied at 1-1.  Nottingham hold a 2-1 advantage over Sheffield United. Final leg matches on Monday and Tuesday, respectively. Hoping for Luton and Nottingham to come out of it. Luton Town would be a fun addition to the Premiership as their stadium is even smaller and more intimate than Bournemouth. Their stadium holds just under a thousand less with 10,365 vs 11,364 for Bournemouth. Matches should be on ESPN+.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I mean Pulisic was done with school at like 16, right? When did Gio quit going to school? Similar age? It still happens (i.e. a lack of schooling). I feel like most American soccer stars are fairly privileged though and not coming out of low income backgrounds. 

You'd probably get the worst examples within American athletes picking from the NBA, but even then - most of them have to make at least a half-assed attempt at high school and a semester of college which probably helps. You can't make the NFL, for example, without attending 3 years of college basically.

That said... to make the claim we don't understand that level of dumbassery from athletes is a bit much. 

On 5/11/2022 at 6:08 PM, mdmost said:

Feel like Burnley has the inside track to being relegated. @Spurs, @Villa, Newcastle. That's looking like 0 points. Leeds hosts Brighton and finishes at Brentford. Toffees should be safe. 

So with this mornings Burnley loss relegation goes from:

Leeds 64%
Burnley 31%

to:

Leeds 59%
Burnley 37%

The key is how they project the rest of the games (numbers reflect Leeds or Burnley):

Today Leeds v Brighton Win 33%, Tie 26%
Thurs Villa v Burnley Win 24%, Tie 26%

Final Day
Brentford v Leeds Win 22%, Tie 24%
Burnley v Newcastle Win 35%, Tie 29%

Or it puts more pressure on them and they play too tight and Villa gives them a good game. They'll more than likely win next week but it's fun to see them sweat at least. Of course, Liverpool doesn't handle their business on Tuesday against Southampton and this is all moot. FA Cup took a lot out of the squad.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, yoladu said:

Big point for Leeds! 

That's what I thought, but FiveThirtyEight has actually gotten them WORSE!

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

So with this mornings Burnley loss relegation goes from:

Leeds 64%
Burnley 31%

to:

Leeds 59%
Burnley 37%

The key is how they project the rest of the games (numbers reflect Leeds or Burnley):

Today Leeds v Brighton Win 33%, Tie 26%
Thurs Villa v Burnley Win 24%, Tie 26%

Final Day
Brentford v Leeds Win 22%, Tie 24%
Burnley v Newcastle Win 35%, Tie 29%

With the draw

Leeds 63%
Burnley 34%

I mean I get it, Burnley has 2 games and Leeds 1, but that was a big point. 

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

Yeah, weird, but without that point it would probably be closer to 90%

Probably.The key is figuring out how Burnley still get's relegated and some back of the napkin math from their match predictors:

* Lose both games (around 17%)
* 1 lose, 1 draw - Leeds gets any result (about 12%)
* 1 win, 1 loss or 2 draws - Leeds gets a win (the remaining 5% wish)

I would think that number would be bigger, but that's the result.

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

It appears that Everton remembered that they were playing with 10 men, just gave up 2 goals in the span of about 100 seconds. 

If this result holds, next Thursday will have gotten a whole lot more interesting. 

50 minutes ago, mdmost said:

If Everton gets a win against Crystal Palace, they should be safe at 39 points. Leeds would only have 38 points with a win @Brentford. Burnley would need to win @Villa and home against Newcastle to get past the 39 points. 

Everton doesn't need to beat both of them (Leeds & Burnley), they need to beat one of them, only one of them gets relegated

Because they have the lowest maximum points, Leeds sets the points to beat. 39 points will keep you safe.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, maninblack said:

We'll see what happens tomorrow but on the final day we could have races for 1st, 4th, 6th and 17th all on. Fuck yeah

The races for 4th, 6th and relegation are guaranteed, though games this week can shuffle the outlook.

So'ton-Liverpool (tomorrow) needs to see Liverpool get at least a point to keep the title race alive

Chelsea-Leicester City can see Chelsea fall back into the top 4 race, though they would need to lose, a draw would virtually clinch top 4, a win would clinch top 3.

Everton-Palace (Thursday) can see Everton get clear of relegation

on top of chasing a quad, if liverpool jump city and win the league, it would tie them with united at 20 all time league titles since the "beginning" of english titles being handed out.  current all time league trophy standings...

• Manchester United        20
  • Liverpool                         19
  • Arsenal                            13
  • Everton                             9
  • Aston Villa                        7
  • Manchester City              7
  • Sunderland                       6
  • Chelsea                             6
  • Newcastle United             4
  • Sheffield Wednesday       4
  • Wolverhampton                3
  • Leeds United                    3
  • Huddersfield Town           3
  • Blackburn                          3
  • Preston North End            2
  • Tottenham                         2
  • Derby Count                      2
  • Burnley                               2
  • Portsmouth                        2
  • Sheffield                             1
  • West Brom                          1
  • Ipswich Town                     1
  • Nottingham Forest             1
  • Leceister City                     1 

32 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Fun season, regardless. Obviously it would be awesome if Liverpool won the league, but it would be cool to see City lose even more. Just for the memes. 

well, if everton somehow pulls its head out its ass against palace and wins, i figured the entire season would be ruined for you even if liverpool does win a quad since the toffees would avoid relegation.