The Expanse (Amazon Prime)

MillerEP

Lmao at the Avasarala and Holden scene - she was taking uppers to get ready to talk to him, and as soon as he started she said she needed to up her dosage lol. I really appreciate how the writers manage to squeeze in some humor.

Lots of good character moments and scenes this episode, cool payoff of the ring station rail guns. Should be some fucking sweet space combat in the finale 

1 minute ago, hornian said:

We all know that tonight is the series finale, but what this tweet presupposes is ... maybe it's not. 

From what I've gathered, Daniel and Ty and the cast and Alcon (production company) would like to continue telling the story. There's enough for 3 more seasons or you could do them as Amazon-exclusive movies. 

It's up to Amazon if they want to pay for it.  

34 minutes ago, hornian said:

We all know that tonight is the series finale, but what this tweet presupposes is ... maybe it's not. 

I can see them wrapping book 6 and the second trilogy with tonight's episode. Books 7-9 mild timeline spoilers below:

Spoiler

It makes sense to stop here, there's a 15-20 year jump in time from book 6 -> 7, and around 10 years passes between books 7 -> 9.

By the end of book 9, they're on some high science fiction shit that I really don't know how they'd bring to live action. I think a high quality animated thing could be pretty awesome if that's what they end up doing

And also, Telltale games is putting out a game for The Expanse where you play as Drummer being a badass pirate if you still want more Expanse

8 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

One thing I don’t understand:

Reveal hidden contents

What was with the whole Pet Sematary side plot? It didn’t seem to have anything to do with anything. And who was the guy who told Inaros to fuck off near the end?

Time to pick up some books, my friend 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

That ain’t no answer

Spoiler

The “strange dogs” (ring builder drones) used protomolecule tech to “fix” Xan. He’s now linked with proto tech and it’s a part of the last 3 books. 

The guy is Winston Duarte, a Martian who defected and created the Empire of Laconia when they found a ring system that had protomolecule tech laying around. He experiments with protomolecule to become immortal. He’s the antagonist of the last trilogy.  Basically used Marco to distract everyone from what was going on in Laconia 

It was just nuggets to drop if they get to continue the story. Sure hoping so 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

There was zero point to the zombie kid story line. It was a waste of the first 3-6 minutes of the show all season. 

I am surprised they wrapped up the human side if it and thought they did a good job. 

The Laconia scenes are directly important and critical to the last trilogy. I just finished reading the books (haven't read the novellas though) and it gave some nice exposition.

HOLY FUCK though that battle scene. Fucking incredible. They really pulled it off and finished the season and story nicely. Couldn't be more happy with the episode

Edit: I'm gonna have to rewatch the assault scene, that was one of the most intense landings and shootouts. And the fucking Roci showing up and turning some dudes into mist goddamn

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

There was zero point to the zombie kid story line. It was a waste of the first 3-6 minutes of the show all season. 

I am surprised they wrapped up the human side if it and thought they did a good job. 

Not a waste. They didn't know this was possibly the last season.

I’m still having a hard time getting over the fact that Holden intentionally gave Marco a free pass when he was basically dead, all because he didn’t want Filip to die and make things weird between him and Naomi.

So therefore, everyone that died in the final battle could’ve possibly lived, which is Holden’s fault.

And then in the finale, Amos asks if they are actually going to try to kill Marco this time, who btw still had Filip on his ship, and Holden says yes. WTF changed in 2 episodes?

And somehow we are supposed to root for Holden as the main protagonist here? I wanted him and Naomi to die.

I also have a small problem with shows that repeatedly put main characters in certain death situations and then they miraculously live. This episode did that with Draper, Amos, and Drummer. Not that I wanted any of those particular characters to die, but at some point the show needs to be a little more ruthless and not always give tidy and happy endings. It’s like watching The Walking Dead.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I’m still having a hard time getting over the fact that Holden intentionally gave Marco a free pass when he was basically dead, all because he didn’t want Filip to die and make things weird between him and Naomi.

So therefore, everyone that died in the final battle could’ve possibly lived, which is Holden’s fault.

And then in the finale, Amos asks if they are actually going to try to kill Marco this time, who btw still had Filip on his ship, and Holden says yes. WTF changed in 2 episodes?

And somehow we are supposed to root for Holden as the main protagonist here? I wanted him and Naomi to die.

Naomi figuring out the "going Dutchman" thing was because of the amount of unregulated energy going through the rings and the rail guns on the ring station, which would give Marco total 100% control of ring space and all the colonies. 

I dunno if I ever rooted for Holden even reading the books.  He's supposed to be the "moral protagonist" in a universe where everyone is seemingly in it for themselves or their people only.  Earthers say fuck Mars and the Belt, Dusters says fuck Earth and the Belt and Belters say fuck the Inners.  But he doesn't give a shit about any of that - all he wants to do is "what is right" and also press any button he sees.  

But he doesn't give a shit about any of that - all he wants to do is "what is right" and also press any button he sees.  

Except that’s “what is right” is basically just whatever suits Holden’s own selfish emotions at that particular point in time. I get tired of the suggestion that he is an enlightened and benevolent leader in a universe of otherwise selfish and confused people.

What is right would’ve been to kill Marco and end a war that was killing thousands of other people. He passed that up because of Naomi, ignoring the fact that doing so created significant danger for his crew who he is also responsible for.

Perhaps that would be slightly more sympathetic as the viewer of a fictional TV show if they hadn’t spent the past 2 seasons making Naomi and Holden so insufferable.
  • Like 1

Also cool little easter egg for the assault team

Spoiler

The names on the board that Noami was watching included:

ACKBAR, G. (General Ackbar)
QUAID, D. (Dennis Quaid from Total Recall)
IDAHO, D. (Duncan Idaho from Dune)
RIPLEY, E. (Ellen Ripley from Alien) (also D. HICKS, J. VASQUEZ, W. HUDSON)
O'NEIL, J. (Jack O'Neil from Stargate)
RICO, J. (Johnny Rico from Starship Troopers)
THRACE, K. (Kara Thrace from BSG)
CONNOR, S. (Sarah Connor from Terminator)
RIKER, W. (Will Riker from Star Trek)

I think there was also a Tron, 2001 and Blade Runner references in there too

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I dunno if I ever rooted for Holden even reading the books.  He's supposed to be the "moral protagonist" in a universe where everyone is seemingly in it for themselves or their people only.  Earthers say fuck Mars and the Belt, Dusters says fuck Earth and the Belt and Belters say fuck the Inners.  But he doesn't give a shit about any of that - all he wants to do is "what is right" and also press any button he sees.  

The Expanse started as an RPG group playing space DnD. Holden was the paladin, basically lol. 

In season one when Shed died on the Donnager, in reality the guy stopped showing up so they killed his character in the game.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

Except that’s “what is right” is basically just whatever suits Holden’s own selfish emotions at that particular point in time. I get tired of the suggestion that he is an enlightened and benevolent leader in a universe of otherwise selfish and confused people.

What is right would’ve been to kill Marco and end a war that was killing thousands of other people. He passed that up because of Naomi, ignoring the fact that doing so created significant danger for his crew who he is also responsible for.

Perhaps that would be slightly more sympathetic as the viewer of a fictional TV show if they hadn’t spent the past 2 seasons making Naomi and Holden so insufferable.

IMO, this is one of my favorite parts of the show/books. The characters are flawed and make bad decisions. They've all got blood on their hands and decisions they'd rather take back. It's the story of these people just trying to make the best decision because they're the people in place to make it.

Thinking big-picture: because Holden didn't kill Marcos it created the opportunity for Drummer and the Belters to gain the autonomy and power that's always been denied. None of that was in Holden's calculations, but that's just what he does.

Like Amos said, sometimes he saves the whole human race, so it sort of evens out his shitty decisions

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

He told Naomi about it, and she told him not to protect her like that again. Did you miss that scene?

Just now, hornian said:

He told Naomi about it, and she told him not to protect her like that again. Did you miss that scene?

And she was the one to do it, in the end.  Holden didn't have to live with him being the one to kill her son. 

Space Paul Stanley got rail guns and that made Space Jon Snow mad because he wanted to be the only kid on the block with rail guns so then he wanted him dead.
  • Haha 1

Millions right? How many people did the asteroid strikes kill?

Also cool little easter egg for the assault team
Spoiler

The names on the board that Noami was watching included:

ACKBAR, G. (General Ackbar)
QUAID, D. (Dennis Quaid from Total Recall)
IDAHO, D. (Duncan Idaho from Dune)
RIPLEY, E. (Ellen Ripley from Alien) (also D. HICKS, J. VASQUEZ, W. HUDSON)
O'NEIL, J. (Jack O'Neil from Stargate)
RICO, J. (Johnny Rico from Starship Troopers)
THRACE, K. (Kara Thrace from BSG)
CONNOR, S. (Sarah Connor from Terminator)
RIKER, W. (Will Riker from Star Trek)

I think there was also a Tron, 2001 and Blade Runner references in there too

Ha, the only one I noticed was Hicks.

I understand that pragmatically you don't like the decision, but it's certainly a decision that a human could make. It's the first time in the series that holden is selfish and it completely tracks to me that ruining the love of his life what pushed him there.

I don't get the hang up on this at all. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Right but the point is that Holden did not kill a genocidal maniac because he didn’t want to upset his girlfriend.

That may be the point, but I thought there was a question of how many he would have saved, and the strikes had already been stopped.

I understand that pragmatically you don't like the decision, but it's certainly a decision that a human could make. It's the first time in the series that holden is selfish and it completely tracks to me that ruining the love of his life what pushed him there.
I don't get the hang up on this at all. 

Because we needed a Vulcan in that moment.