Haitian president assassinated

bolverk

Looks like we'll find out who they think the hitmen were (if these are the right people):

https://www.iol.co.za/news/world/four-mercenaries-killed-two-arrested-after-haiti-president-assassinated-0924d11a-ad1d-4e51-bab5-cc1e2fc61d8c?utm_term=OZY&utm_campaign=pdb&utm_content=Thursday_07.08.21&utm_source=Campaigner&utm_medium=email

Four 'mercenaries' killed, two arrested after Haiti president assassinated
By AFP Time of article published 10h ago

Hearing a mix of Colombian and Venezuelans were the Spanish speakers. Have not been able to get good audio on them, but from what I hear the accents do not sound Dominican/Cuban. 

What is interesting is they have not paraded the bodies or captured yet. 

One thing that does bother me though is where were the Presidential Security personnel? Shit, no President just goes up to his home on his own. 

News as of this afternoon adding to what @MillerEP already posted. Not a lot of development. 

Of the 2 captured. At least 1 is a US Citizen of Haitian descent. The other is unnamed. 

20 at large. Haitian Government says mix of Venezuelan and Colombia personnel. 

They had inside support. This is unverified. 

Haitian Ambassador to the US says they were not DEA agents. 

9 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Hearing a mix of Colombian and Venezuelans were the Spanish speakers. Have not been able to get good audio on them, but from what I hear the accents do not sound Dominican/Cuban. 

After he was assassinated, regardless of what evidence they had, I have a feeling that anybody who was white or Hispanic was going to get rounded up.

But that's interesting if it's a bunch of Colombians and Venezuelans.

Jack Ryan season 3? (Hey, it's filming).

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I read they had a marked government vehicle that allowed them access, but it's the internet, so...

Still does not explain why the presidential guard was not there. I know Petionville well. Cops and road blocks everywhere since it is where most of the Haitian Government, their (few) rich and the internationals reside. 

BBC Reporting the following. 

A hit squad composed mostly of retired Colombian soldiers assassinated Haiti's President Jovenel Moïse earlier this week, police say.
The group included 26 Colombians and two Americans of Haitian origin, police chief Léon Charles told reporters.
Eight of the suspects are still on the run, while 17, including the two Americans, have been arrested.
The remaining suspects were shot dead during gun battles with the police in the capital, Port-au-Prince.
A group of gunmen burst into the president's private residence in the early hours of Wednesday. Mr Moïse's wife, Martine, was injured in the attack and has been flown to Florida for treatment where she is said to be in a stable condition.
It is not yet clear who planned the attack or what motivated it. Haiti's interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph, however, told the BBC that the 53-year-old president may have been targeted because he was fighting "oligarchs" in the country.
On Thursday, police presented some of the suspects to the media along with weapons, Colombian passports and other evidence. "Foreigners came to our country to kill the president," Mr Charles said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-57766749

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Mrs. Canecutter and I listened to the guy who shouts "D.E.A. Operations, etc etc etc" about 8 times. It's a weird mix of American vernacular and foreign.

He says D. E. A. with a distinct break between each syllable, which is definitely not the way a French speaker would do it. That glottal stop is pretty English/Germanic. I have heard that some Spanish varieties have glottal stops, but I dunno.

When he says "operations," instead of an American accent "Ah-per-RAY-shuns" the first syllable comes out more like an "Oh", just like my old Mexican and French students would say things like that because it's the same word in their languages and the original accent pops up on words that are similar. But he doesn't say "oh-pair-RAH-see-own" with a full foreign accent.

The rest of what he says, what struck me is how down-home country the rhythm is, like something yelled across a parking lot at a National Guard armory in Jesup Georgia: Hey Vern duHURR Durdle Durdlr DUURR.

tldr I have no idea who did it but it wasn't an actor from Downton Abbey.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 7/8/2021 at 11:55 AM, InkaUtexas said:

The little bit I caught reminded me of sing-song of the Mexican roofers down the street. Lots of the guys we get around here are from Estado de Mexico and/or Veracruz.

Maybe I better watch my ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

The little bit I caught reminded me of sing-song of the Mexican roofers down the street. Lots of the guys we get around here are from Estado de Mexico and/or Veracruz.

Maybe I better watch my ass.

yeah, same here. I would have said Guatemalans or Salvadorans when I first heard it. Now looks like Colombian/Venezuelans. Interesting mix. Narco Hit using FARC personnel? 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is unusual...

NYTimes:

Haitian government officials said they had requested that the United States send in troops to protect Haiti’s port, airport, gasoline reserves and other key infrastructure as the country has descended into turmoil in the wake of the brazen assassination of President Jovenel Moïse early Wednesday morning.

Fears have been growing that unrest in the streets and political turmoil after the attack could worsen what is already the country’s worst crisis in years. Haiti is plagued by political intrigue, gang violence, a public health crisis driven by the pandemic and difficulties delivering essential international aid.

The Haitian minister of elections, Mathias Pierre, said the request was made because President Biden and Secretary of State Antony Blinken had promised to help Haiti.

A deputy State Department spokeswoman, Jalina Porter, told a news briefing on Friday that she could not confirm such a request. The White House press secretary, Jen Psaki, did say that the United States would be sending senior F.B.I. and homeland security officials to Port-au-Prince “as soon as possible” to determine how best to assist Haiti.

The White House press secretary, Jen Psaki, said the Biden administration would respond to the Haitian government’s request and send U.S. law enforcement officials to assist after the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse.
The United States remains engaged and in close consultations with our Haitian and international partners to support the Haitian people in the aftermath of the assassination of the president. In response to the Haitian government’s request for security and investigative assistance, we will be sending senior F.B.I. and D.H.S. officials to Port-au-Prince as soon as possible to assess the situation and how we may be able to assist. Our assistance is to help the people of Haiti and to help them get through what is a very challenging time, and has long been even before the assassination of the president. So the investigation is not going to impact the assistance we’re providing to the people of Haiti. But as I announced at the beginning, we are sending because supporting law enforcement efforts on the ground and making sure we are providing resources in terms of women and manpower, but also financial resources is part of what our objective is as well.

Haitian authorities have said the assassination involved “foreign” forces, and the police have identified more than two dozen people involved in the assassination of the president, including 26 Colombians and two Americans of Haitian descent.

Colombia’s president asked several of the country’s top intelligence officials and an officer from Interpol’s central office in Colombia to travel to Haiti to assist with the investigation, Colombia’s defense department said on Friday.

Mr. Pierre, the Haitian minister of elections, said the country had already been facing a large problem with “urban terrorists” who might use the opportunity to attack key infrastructure in the country while the police are focused on their manhunt.

“The group that financed the mercenaries want to create chaos in the country,” he said. “Attacking the gas reserves and airport might be part of the plan.”

Robenson Geffrard, a reporter for Le Nouvelliste, one of the country’s leading newspapers, said a “sense of uncertainty” and the “shadow of violence” was looming over the capital, Port-au-Prince, raising fears that Friday was but a fleeting interlude before the situation spirals out of control again.

“In supermarkets and public markets, people are jostling” to stock up on basic goods such as rice and pasta, Mr. Geffrard said, and there are lines at stations selling propane gas, often used for cooking.

The country is enmeshed in a constitutional crisis, with a nonfunctioning Parliament and competing claims over leadership. The Caribbean nation’s interim prime minister, Claude Joseph, says he has taken command of the police and the army. But the president, days before his death, had appointed a new prime minister, Ariel Henry. Mr. Henry told a local newspaper after the assassination that he was the rightful prime minister.

The situation has been further complicated by the pandemic. While there are many legal uncertainties, in the past the country’s top justice has been expected to fill any void in the political leadership. But that justice, René Sylvestre, died of Covid-19 in June.

Haiti, the only country in the Americas with no active Covid-19 inoculation campaign, has virtually no vaccine doses, and public health experts say that the coronavirus is far more widespread there than publicly reported.

With the prospect of greater turmoil looming, international observers worry that a growing humanitarian crisis could lead to the kind of exodus that has previously followed natural disasters, coups and other periods of deep instability.

The Pan American Health Organization said in a statement that the crisis was “creating a perfect storm, because the population has lowered its guard, the infrastructure of Covid-19 beds has been reduced, the security situation could deteriorate even further and hurricane season has started.”

10 minutes ago, mchookem said:

they asked for our help. i think we should help them.

Yep.  We are the closest (and apparently most trustworthy) who can provide the help they need at the scale they need.  We want to lead/guide the OAS, it's something we should do.

Edited by atomheartbevo

3 hours ago, zman13 said:

This is unusual...

NYTimes:

Haitian government officials said they had requested that the United States send in troops to protect Haiti’s port, airport, gasoline reserves and other key infrastructure as the country has descended into turmoil in the wake of the brazen assassination of President Jovenel Moïse early Wednesday morning.

So yep.  We whacked him.

9 minutes ago, Parliament said:

So yep.  We whacked him.

We went into Haiti in the 1910s when Armybrat was in the service, and the 1930s when his kids were.  This is nothing new.  Hell, we intervened in 1994.  But those were military interventions to address other issues.

This is more akin to the 2010 Haitian earthquake, which was the US military's largest disaster response effort to date.

Haiti is unique in the Western Hemisphere because their situation comes across as hopeless. Is there any feasible plan for them to even be a self sustaining country? Their per capita GDP is $784. Even Dominican Republic is $7,500 and they share the same island. Venezuela is obviously in crisis but their vast natural reserves give them many paths to prosperity. Whether they take it, is another question. Haiti seems to have 0 paths forward.

even a satellite image shows how bad off Haiti is. Over the last 100 years or so they removed practically every tree to burn for energy. The DR has forest up to the border then Haiti has nothing. 

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Haiti is unique in the Western Hemisphere because their situation comes across as hopeless. Is there any feasible plan for them to even be a self sustaining country? Their per capita GDP is $784. Even Dominican Republic is $7,500 and they share the same island. Venezuela is obviously in crisis but their vast natural reserves give them many paths to prosperity. Whether they take it, is another question. Haiti seems to have 0 paths forward.

So you're saying we could buy the place for cheap, turn it into one big tourist resort, and slap a military base on it?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping to note that an arrest warrant has been issued for ex Haitian Supreme Court judge, Wendelle Coq-Thelot, whereabouts unknown. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/haiti-police-say-former-supreme-court-judge-suspect-presidents-killing-2021-07-31/

Spoiler

PORT-AU-PRINCE, July 30 (Reuters) - Haitian police on Friday outlined fresh accusations against a former Supreme Court judge over her links to the assassination of President Jovenel Moise earlier this month, saying she had met with some Colombian mercenaries accused of killing him.

The assassination of Moise has plunged the Western hemisphere's poorest nation deeper into chaos, and launched an international manhunt for mercenaries and the murder masterminds across the Americas.

Haitian police had earlier this week issued an arrest warrant for Wendelle Coq-Thelot, a former Supreme Court judge who was ousted with two other judges earlier in February when Moise alleged a coup was being planned against him. read more

Coq-Thelot's whereabouts are unknown and she could not be reached for comment.

Colombian mercenaries and Haitian-Americans arrested in the wake of Moise's murder said they had met Coq-Thelot, according to Inspector General Marie Michelle Verrier, the spokesperson for the National Police of Haiti.

"Several of them have indicated that they have been to Mrs. Coq’s home twice," Verrier told reporters. "These people gave to (police) details of documents signed during the meetings at Mrs. Coq's home."

Police have raided Coq-Thelot's main home as well as other residences in the countryside, Verrier said. A wanted poster for Coq Wandelle has also been launched.

Many questions remain over who was behind the assassination this month and how the killers gained access to the president's home. Haitian officials blamed a squad of mostly Colombian mercenaries, three of whom were killed by police.

A top Moise security official was arrested on suspicion of involvement on Tuesday. (nL1N2P32IV)

Earlier in the day, Colombia called on Haiti to guarantee the legal and medical rights of 18 Colombians detained on the Caribbean island for alleged participation in Moise's assassination.

Reporting by Andre Paultre in Port-au-Prince Writing by Drazen Jorgic; Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan

• Hook 'Em 1