College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

13 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

With all the heat around that program, LSU, that seems like a strange hire.

TCU -- Texas Christian University

"Baptize him and his slate is clean. "

I mean c'mon, sleazy Gary Patterson still coaches there...... Gary must get baptized at least once a week cause he thinks it's bathing!!

15 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Tech didn’t get it done. If our donors decide he’s the guy then he will be the coach here.

The Shaka saga this past March should make pretty damn clear that we don't have BMDs willing to put that kind of money into the bball program.

4 hours ago, Caddox said:

Tech didn’t get it done. If our donors decide he’s the guy then he will be the coach here.

Hahahahahahahaha-fucking-ha.

If Texas wanted it, it would be...

Don't ever stop being you, Texas.

13 hours ago, Caddox said:

Would it ever occur to you that Beard might have a coaching preference, if for no other reasons than purely personal ones, that are inconsistent with your reasoning above?

From an article today in the DMN by Chuck Carlton:

"In three seasons at Tech, Beard hasn’t shown any inclination to jump at other jobs. One athletic director who was recently in the market for a head coach said he was convinced that Beard wouldn’t leave Tech."

“He’s had opportunities the last two years to look at just about every job that has become available - and he hasn’t looked at any of them. I think that speaks to his commitment to the program,” Hocutt said. “Well, this is the best job for Chris Beard. I’m confident of that.” 

Entire article= https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2019/04/29/chris-beards-eye-popping-new-contract-sends-message-texas-tech-sees-program

39 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Can someone give me a list of coaches with previous championship level success that UT has money whipped into becoming their head coach? Seems to me the only team in Texas willing to money whip anyone is A&M. 

Who have they money whipped besides Jimbo? I think they (unsuccessfully) tried to money whip Tech’s track coach as well. But I can’t think of any other big 3 sports coaches they tried to money whip. 

Edited by Wilbarger

34 minutes ago, Wilbarger said:

Who have they money whipped besides Jimbo? I think they (unsuccessfully) tried to money whip Tech’s track coach as well. But I can’t think of any other big 3 sports coaches they tried to money whip. 

You're in the college basketball coaching carousel thread and you asked that question? Maybe Buzz comes back to his home state no matter what, but $4M/year is a sizeable chunk of cash.

44 minutes ago, Wilbarger said:

Jimbo Fisher is one more coach than UT has ever money whipped.  A post was made saying that if UT wants someone the big money will get him.  UT must have not wanted Saban, or any other championship contending coach because UT has never once gone out there and gotten a coach that has previously taken another P5 school to a championship.  Augie Garrido was at Cal State Fullerton but his money whip was $1.7M over 6 years.  Not exactly throwing a blank check at someone saying name your price, and that's in a sport where texas has more history than basketball.

13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Really?  Here?

patterson-crop.jpg?w=1000

Point taken.  I'll have to give finer criteria... UCLA has the worst AD that has been on the job for more than 15 years.  I'd argue that even KU's AD was worse overall for KU than Patterson for UT.  But that is wholly because of longevity.  At least UT's regents/president saw the train wreck and got rid of patterson.  KU rode Zenger for 8 years and UCLA is still riding the Guerrero train 17 years into the sunset.

2 hours ago, Dewey said:

Dont forget Swaney over at USC

I was about to bring Swann up.  Forget about the Helton clusterfuck. He also has a basketball coach who hired an assistant who's ensnared in the FBI case, as well as multiple non-revenue sport coaches involved in the admissions scandal, apparently organized by one of his assistant ADs.  U$C baseball has gone from being a national power to a joke; Swann fired the previous coach two weeks before the start of the season.  Now, throw the Helton clusterfuck on top of that dungpile, and Dan Guerrero looks pretty good.  

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:01 AM, Jhawk said:

Jimbo Fisher is one more coach than UT has ever money whipped.  A post was made saying that if UT wants someone the big money will get him.  UT must have not wanted Saban, or any other championship contending coach because UT has never once gone out there and gotten a coach that has previously taken another P5 school to a championship.  Augie Garrido was at Cal State Fullerton but his money whip was $1.7M over 6 years.  Not exactly throwing a blank check at someone saying name your price, and that's in a sport where texas has more history than basketball.

I am not sure what role history will play in this. We did technically money whip Oregon's softball coach. We have limited information to go on with Del Conte, would he go after big fish in the revenue sports? Patterson wasn't going to pay anything extra to anyone, but Dodds chased guys with solid resumes. Comparing money when we hired Mack, Barnes, or Augie paints a different picture than the figures being tossed around today.

Edited by rickyspub

2 hours ago, rickyspub said:

I am not sure what role history will play in this. We did technically money whip Oregon's softball coach. We have limited information to go on with Del Conte, would he go after big fish in the revenue sports? Patterson wasn't going to pay anything extra to anyone, but Dodds chased guys with solid resumes. Comparing money when we hired Mack, Barnes, or Augie paints a different picture than the figures being tossed around today.

100% true.  But it is also true that there has almost never been this mythical "money whip" that UT can use to get high profile coaches.  Barnes and Mack were both great hires.  But it wasn't stealing any coach UT wanted for any price.  Like I said, if UT ever had that in them (dodds or CDC) then Dabo, Saban, Urban, or some other championship game competing coach (a coach that has gotten to the finals of their sport) would likely already be coaching at UT in football or basketball.  Shaka would have never been hired and the same goes for strong.  Women's softball is great, but that isn't where the money is or where the money/success/viewership matters.

I need to add that if UT alum were so willing to throw around the money then they would have never let patterson hire the guys he did.  They would have served up a top 5 coach in the country on a silver platter with a check that made it work.

Edited by Jhawk

27 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

100% true.  But it is also true that there has almost never been this mythical "money whip" that UT can use to get high profile coaches.  Barnes and Mack were both great hires.  But it wasn't stealing any coach UT wanted for any price.  Like I said, if UT ever had that in them (dodds or CDC) then Dabo, Saban, Urban, or some other championship game competing coach (a coach that has gotten to the finals of their sport) would likely already be coaching at UT in football or basketball.  Shaka would have never been hired and the same goes for strong.  Women's softball is great, but that isn't where the money is or where the money/success/viewership matters.

I need to add that if UT alum were so willing to throw around the money then they would have never let patterson hire the guys he did.  They would have served up a top 5 coach in the country on a silver platter with a check that made it work.

Well there are the rumors that UT alums, including a member of the BOR, approached Saban about taking over in 2013. Mack got word and made threats and Saban was never really considered again, even with fans clamoring for him in 2014. Supposedly Dodds was on board as his final legacy to the program, but Mack didn't want someone so likely to overshadow his achievements and exited about as petulantly as possible. If there is any truth to the rumors, would it have been a 'money whip' or was Saban ready to make a more lateral move moneywise for a change in scenery?

Patterson seemed to avoid anything above 'market rate' for our programs, including hiring assistants and other program positions. Was he held back by the BOR or his own hubris? Ultimately he overpaid for the up-and-comer in both revenue sports. Perrin seemed to follow suit with Herman, but that was likely a move to please his big money cohorts in Houston, mitigating the need to even consider money whipping a coach.

Different decision makers are going to make different decisions. The UT AD has only been this flush with money for barely a decade. The big money can pay off the buyouts and agree to donate to cover the salary but the AD still has to pitch it to the BOR and bring in the cash to pay the salary. UT is in a different league now than they were even when Dodds left, but CDC still has to share his vision with the donors and the BOR to make things happen. We don't know what his plan will be until he has to hire a coach. 

You steal a 4 time championship coach (at the time), now arguably the best coach of all time, the year after he wins a championship for one of the top schools in the history of college football....

Yeah.  That would be a money whip, unless you didn't pay him more, then its a change of scenery.  You would have paid him much more because he had bama rolling and UT was in the shit.  He was making $6.9M that year.  I know this won't get much love here but bama football is more historic than UT football.  Saban himself has more titles than UT.  The big 12 is not as prestigious as the SECSECSEC if anything for the mere fact that the big 12 has only be around a couple of decades.  It might have taken $9-10M to get saban that year and Bama would have likely matched it.  But there were no rumors that a "make him say no" offer was thrown out.  Aggie would have definitely thrown that out and they would have made it public if there were even hints of blood in the water for Saban to move.

Even though I mention aggie, I don't mean to compare them to UT so that isn't the point.  The point is that people around here always talk about how UT can get any coach UT wants because UT will pay more money than others can afford for the best coach.  The fact is, that hasn't happened yet and UT has quite the opposite strategy when you look at the history of hires (once again with the exception of baseball and softball).  UT has made some damn good hires based on value and track record.  If UT could have arguably the best coach of all time then why don't they get him?  You can't tell me that the bureaucrats at the tower would rather have 1 title in 17 years Mack Brown (who had lost 5 games in 3 of his final 4 season) over 3 national titles in the last 4 years.  Even sally's cookies aren't that good.

Point is, the money whip talk around here and on TOS is probably the most ridiculous talk on this board and that's saying something given that I contribute here.

Edited by Jhawk

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

You steal a 4 time championship coach (at the time), now arguably the best coach of all time, the year after he wins a championship for one of the top schools in the history of college football....

Yeah.  That would be a money whip, unless you didn't pay him more, then its a change of scenery.  You would have paid him much more because he had bama rolling and UT was in the shit.  He was making $6.9M that year.  I know this won't get much love here but bama football is more historic than UT football.  Saban himself has more titles than UT.  The big 12 is not as prestigious as the SECSECSEC if anything for the mere fact that the big 12 has only be around a couple of decades.  It might have taken $9-10M to get saban that year and Bama would have likely matched it.  But there were no rumors that a "make him say no" offer was thrown out.  Aggie would have definitely thrown that out and they would have made it public if there were even hints of blood in the water for Saban to move.

Even though I mention aggie, I don't mean to compare them to UT so that isn't the point.  The point is that people around here always talk about how UT can get any coach UT wants because UT will pay more money than others can afford for the best coach.  The fact is, that hasn't happened yet and UT has quite the opposite strategy when you look at the history of hires (once again with the exception of baseball and softball).  UT has made some damn good hires based on value and track record.  If UT could have arguably the best coach of all time then why don't they get him?  You can't tell me that the bureaucrats at the tower would rather have 1 title in 17 years Mack Brown (who had lost 5 games in 3 of his final 4 season) over 3 national titles in the last 4 years.  Even sally's cookies aren't that good.

Point is, the money whip talk around here and on TOS is probably the most ridiculous talk on this board and that's saying something given that I contribute here.

I'll agree that talking about money whipping a coach is hardly worth discussing until it is about to happen and that may be never. However, the point is that we could spend whatever ridiculous sum we wanted if the wherewithal were there in the AD, among the big time donors, and with the BOR. We could have Jimbo'ed Saban if he really wanted to leave Bama. That said, I am not sure the BOR would ever get behind us paying a Top 1 or 2 salary in any major sport for a new coach. A rogue BOR member trying to engineer backroom deals with Saban doesn't mean that a deal would have ever actually been approved. At any given time, there would also have to be an agreed upon target that would get the big donors in line to pay up. I am not sure if even Beard would be a name that would open up every checkbook necessary to make it happen. It also has to be the AD pulling all the strings to make it happen, which means he too has to be all in on the hire. There is a reason Jimbo's A&M deal is rare, even minus the aggiotic contract that seems entirely written by Jimbo's agent. Even a second-tier, diploma mill run by corrupt, small peened charlatans has a hard time pulling a deal like that together on a regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...

"WHOA NELLIE!! "

Michigan's John Beilein leaving to coach Cleveland Cavaliers

The winningest coach in Michigan basketball history is headed to the NBA. 

A year after flirting with the idea of coaching the Detroit Pistons, John Beilein has agreed to coach the Cleveland Cavaliers. The news was first reported by ESPN on Monday morning, stating Beilein, 66, has agreed to a five-year deal with the organization. 

Beilein told U-M this morning he was for sure leaving to go to Cleveland, according to a source with knowledge of the conversations. He then began telling his players. There are no immediate plans in place to replace him.

Michigan coach John Beilein talks to guard Zavier Simpson (3) during the second half of the 63-44 loss in the Sweet 16 against Texas Tech …Show more  

The move ends one of the most impressive runs in Michigan basketball history, as Beilein went 278-150 over a 12-year span that included two trips to the national title game, two Big Ten titles and two Big Ten Tournament titles. Neither Beilein nor Michigan has officially returned a request for comment at this time. 

Edited by LTtxfan

I really thought belein would get a title this year or last year. Big loss for college basketball. If he was 10 years younger and self left Ku he’d be one of my first calls to come to Kansas. Great coach, clearly going to do his swan song at the highest level then call it a career. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

That's a major oof for Michigan. Who the hell are they going to be able to get to replace him at this point?

Guy on ESPN mentioned:

• Juan Howard
  • LaVall Jordan at Butler (former Beilein asst)
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tad Boyle (Colorado)
  • One of Beilein's asst's (Saddi or Yaklich)
  • Guy even mentioned.... wait for it..... shaka😂

9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Juan Howard?

Yes..... Asst for the Miami Heat since 2013

Funny huh.... 😀  

Also Billy Donovan, Jay Wright, and Chris Beard all mentioned in Detroit News as unlikely but should be considered.......

Edited by LTtxfan

32 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Guy on ESPN mentioned:

• Juan Howard
  • LaVall Jordan at Butler (former Beilein asst)
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tad Boyle (Colorado)
  • One of Beilein's asst's (Saddi or Yaklich)
  • Guy even mentioned.... wait for it..... shaka😂

So basically espn is wondering the same thing we are... where the fuck does michigan look for a new coach?

Boyle wouldn't be an awful hire and he'd probably definitely leave Colorado.  Crean would take the job because he's a whore.

25 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yes..... Asst for the Miami Heat since 2013

Funny huh.... 😀  

Also Billy Donovan, Jay Wright, and Chris Beard all mentioned in Detroit News as unlikely but should be considered.......

Michigan has some strong delusion.  Beard, Wright, and Stevens are made men.  I can actually hear Jay Wright laughing from 1200 miles away at even the thought of this.  If Donovan wasn't fired this year then he isn't walking from the job that pays him $4M.  He'll get any college job he wants should he ever get fired.  No reason to take a Michigan job right now.

Edited by Jhawk

• Pancho changed the title to College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition