NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

11 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Stole Z’s line.

You complete me.

17 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Boston and Toronto are playing really well - the East is wide open and it’s plausible that the 1 seed could face KD in Round 1.

If KD is cleared post ASB he's getting that 6th seed. Dude's gonna go on a more ridiculous tear than he was already on. 

Just praying his body doesn't completely betray him. Not sure how much ball he has left in him. 

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Sexton supposedly wants 4 years 100m, so he probably not gonna be in Cleveland next year. If they need him as salary filler in another trade, they should do it. He's good, but I think he overvalues himself.

I was hoping the Cavs could get Murray from the Spurs, but they might not want to move him or the price may be too high. I think he would be an awesome addition to this young team and make them even more scary.

Just for shits and giggles, what would this deal look like?  What could the Cavs offer for Murray and if you fucking mention Sexton as any type of lynchpin to the deal, you should get kicked out of this thread for being a moron.

Or maybe they should be looking at Derrick White.

9 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Just for shits and giggles, what would this deal look like?  What could the Cavs offer for Murray and if you fucking mention Sexton as any type of lynchpin to the deal, you should get kicked out of this thread for being a moron.

Or maybe they should be looking at Derrick White.

Well, it would have been instead of the trade for Caris Levert, so undo that...

If SAS is interested in picks for Murray, then Rubio for him works straight up, plus a lot of picks for SAS. I would guess something like 22, 24 Cavs 1sts, 22 Houston 2nd, 26 Lakers 2nd.  SAS sends a future 2nd to Cleveland to help relieve the lost draft capital. 

That's probably not enough for SAS to bite, and too much draft capital for Cleveland, since that's their primary way of getting new talent. Buuuuut, getting Murray on a 3 year deal at a very reasonable price is IMO, better than anything they could draft and develop in that time. Cleveland would have Murray, Garland, Mobley, Allen + whoever in the 4th spot for the next 3 years. That's pretty salty and may get them a championship in year 2/3.

If we want to swap some players, I think 2 of Osman, Sexton and Okoro going out, and Murray coming in to the Cavs would be the starting point for salaries.  Sexton may have some value to a team projected to be over the cap next year, and in need of guards. Maybe the Clippers would be interested in paying him using his Bird rights to have him at SG next year when they try to run it back with Kawhi and PG. You could have Murray to Cle, Sexton to LAC, Okoro and Zubac to SAS plus Cavs 22 1st, Hou 2nd and a future 2nd.

I know SA doesn't really need a young center, but it's a framework. Lots of guys could slot into that 6-10m spot, but it's gonna be tough to find a buyer for Sexton. Probably have to send out Osman and Okoro to make it work, but that's less than ideal for the Cavs. 

The spurs aren't trading a guy who is damn near averaging a triple double who they drafted and groomed for 6 years on one of the most team friendly deals in the league for an expiring contract (when they have oodles of cap room already) and a few late first rounders and some second round filler. There is honestly nothing that Cleveland reasonably could offer that didn't involve one of Mobley, Allen or Garland that the Spurs would even sniff around. 

I wasn't joking when I said Mobley and 2 firsts... you aren't getting Dejounte for anyone else on your roster. Maybe if Garland had another year on his contract there could be something interesting there. I don't think the Spurs would be interested in picks unless there's a guarantee we'd get a top 2 pick or multiple top 5s or something like that. Even then I don't think I'd trade DJ for someone like Banchero or Homlgren. It's an unnecessary risk. 

Sexton is on an expiring and I'm guessing the Cavs let him walk. He doesn't have any trade value. 

Edited by ztejas

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The spurs aren't trading a guy who is damn near averaging a triple double who they drafted and groomed for 6 years on one of the most team friendly deals in the league for an expiring contract (when they have oodles of cap room already) and a few late first rounders and some second round filler. There is honestly nothing that Cleveland reasonably could offer that didn't involve one of Mobley, Allen or Garland that the Spurs would even sniff around. 

I mean- if the deal was Mobley for Murray the Cavs would A) never do it and B) be the group getting picks back, right?  
mobley has to be top 10 in the league in trade value I’d think. 

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- if the deal was Mobley for Murray the Cavs would A) never do it and B) be the group getting picks back, right?  
mobley has to be top 10 in the league in trade value I’d think. 

Mobley is probably the better asset in a vacuum (although this is debatable - it entirely depends on how you project Mobley the next couple years) but I think you'd have to tilt the scales to get Murray from the Spurs. You'd also have to make the salary match. You could ship Sexton to do that I guess. Or Okoro. I think the Spurs would still want a pick on top of it - maybe even a first and second if it was just Sexton as filler. Getting Mobley would sort of muck up the rebuild as we wouldn't have a starting PG worth a shit to pair with him. If you called the Spurs and said "hey we'd like DJ for Mobley and Sexton and also want your 2023 1st rounder" they'd hang up the phone. 

So yes - an actual trade wouldn't work like what I threw out - the point was you are going to need to sell the house and take from your kid's college fund to get DJ. 

Edited by ztejas

33 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That's probably why they went with the Levert trade, salary match and picks is ideal for a team that doesn't need to make a huge splash.  The Cavs own all their future 1sts and none others, so there isn't much they can use to sweeten the deal given their current record. Their core of Mobley, Garland and Allen are untouchable at this point.  

The problem for the Spurs is, who are they going to get to pair with DJ so they can be a playoff team again?  Where is new talent coming from?  I don't know what they are doing right now, tanking and rebuilding, or do they think they can be players in free agency to bring in a superstar?  They seem to be stuck in purgatory. 

4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

That's probably why they went with the Levert trade, salary match and picks is ideal for a team that doesn't need to make a huge splash.  The Cavs own all their future 1sts and none others, so there isn't much they can use to sweeten the deal given their current record. Their core of Mobley, Garland and Allen are untouchable at this point.  

The problem for the Spurs is, who are they going to get to pair with DJ so they can be a playoff team again?  Where is new talent coming from?  I don't know what they are doing right now, tanking and rebuilding, or do they think they can be players in free agency to bring in a superstar?  They seem to be stuck in purgatory. 

They finally, after 3 years of purgatory, got serious about rebuilding..... hence going young and effectively tanking.  It was 3 years too late and they fucked up everything along the way including what to do with DeMar, but here they are.  The issue is without Tim Duncan making the sun shine on everyone, the Spurs are finding how difficult it is to hit on mid-first round or late lottery picks.  The need a top 5 pick and probably top 3 to pair with Murray, who himself, is probably only a 3rd guy on a real contender.  Half the league or more are always looking for that foundational star, the Spurs are no different right now. 

But yes, they were mismanaged since Kawhi left and TD retired, many of us have been very critical of them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Absolute bullshit.  But nbd I kind of like pissed off Jarrett Allen.

Lamelo being an all-star is not bullshit. You could have got 2 in - you got one in. It happens. I never thought the Cavs would have 2 ASs even though you maybe should have. JA just hasn't been good enough lately unfortunately. 

I mean fucking Andrew Wiggins is an all-star. Life goes on. 

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They finally, after 3 years of purgatory, got serious about rebuilding..... hence going young and effectively tanking.  It was 3 years too late and they fucked up everything along the way including what to do with DeMar, but here they are.  The issue is without Tim Duncan making the sun shine on everyone, the Spurs are finding how difficult it is to hit on mid-first round or late lottery picks.  The need a top 5 pick and probably top 3 to pair with Murray, who himself, is probably only a 3rd guy on a real contender.  Half the league or more are always looking for that foundational star, the Spurs are no different right now. 

But yes, they were mismanaged since Kawhi left and TD retired, many of us have been very critical of them. 

Agreed. We aren't in purgatory. We suck.

Disagree on DJ's status but it depends on the year. He would be the 2nd best player on the team that won the title last year. 3rd best on the team before that. 2nd best on the team before that. 3rd or 4th the prior year... etc....

To be fair, the team is really really good when KD is playing. If they can limp to a playoff spot and have everyone healthy, they will likely upset someone in the top 3 seeds in round 1. 

We could potentially see the Nets go through the hardest 4 rounds of playoff matchups ever if they can go all the way. Play-in win, then round 1 against the Heat, Round 2 vs Cleveland, ECF vs Milwaukee, Finals vs Suns or Warriors.  That would be a pretty stout resume for a title. If KD can actually carry that team to a ring, it would help his legacy a lot. 

It will also be fun to see how the 3-6 teams play down the stretch to try and avoid the Nets early. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

Kings gonna King.

EDIT:   Its Lamb and Justin Holliday

I don't really follow these teams so I'm a bit perplexed..... Kings still have Bagley?  LOL.  Pacers gonna trade Brogdon?  They just drafted Duarte, who looks like a solid player.  This is a weirder trade for Indy IMO.  I imagine it's salary dump of some sort.

15 minutes ago, d2o said:

Didnt POR give up a 1st to get Larry Nance Jr too?

The Trail Blazers turned 2 first round picks, Gary Trent Jr., CJ McCollum, and Larry Nance into Josh Hart, NAW, Keon Johnson, and a protected lottery pick

Do you think this was a solid return for Portland given the current market or do you think they could have received more for CJ and Norm?

For what it's worth the two first rounders became Isaiah Stewart and Usman Garuba

From reddit, yikes

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I don't really follow these teams so I'm a bit perplexed..... Kings still have Bagley?  LOL.  Pacers gonna trade Brogdon?  They just drafted Duarte, who looks like a solid player.  This is a weirder trade for Indy IMO.  I imagine it's salary dump of some sort.

Kings have pretty clearly hated Bagley since they drafted him.   He barely played before they fired Luke Walton but still the reports are that he is next to go.

I just asked some friends that same question about Brogdon.   I imagine he is at the very least available now.

Indy getting Halliburton in the first yr of his rookie deal is MASSIVE as he looks like a stud.   I expect Tristan to be bought out and Hield to be moved elsewhere in the next couple days.

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

Kings have pretty clearly hated Bagley since they drafted him.   He barely played before they fired Luke Walton but still the reports are that he is next to go.

I just asked some friends that same question about Brogdon.   I imagine he is at the very least available now.

Indy getting Halliburton in the first yr of his rookie deal is MASSIVE as he looks like a stud.   I expect Tristan to be bought out and Hield to be moved elsewhere in the next couple days.

Haliburton is in 2nd year of his deal and I like him but the Pacers still too many guards and now they have less front court.  Sabonis is the best player in the deal, but Pacers got cheaper.  I get it, the tank is on and they save some money, but it's still a weird deal with Duarte there.  I don't get either of these teams.  Sacramento is consistently one of the worst managed teams in the league, so..... whatever.  Feel bad for Sabonis..... although is Sacramento really worse than Indiana.  I'll have to think.  Both sound awful.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Haliburton is in 2nd year of his deal and I like him but the Pacers still too many guards and now they have less front court.  Sabonis is the best player in the deal, but Pacers got cheaper.  I get it, the tank is on and they save some money, but it's still a weird deal with Duarte there.  I don't get either of these teams.  Sacramento is consistently one of the worst managed teams in the league, so..... whatever.  Feel bad for Sabonis..... although is Sacramento really worse than Indiana.  I'll have to think.  Both sound awful.

My fault, 2nd yr.   Still a great deal.   They clearly for whatever reason were done with Sabonis (and Turner too) so getting a very good young player that might turn out to be great is a big win.   Additional tradable assets in Hield and (maybe) Tristan are nice too.   They only gave up a 2nd too.   I like it for the Pacers much better.   They still have some work to do but I like it.

• Hook 'Em 1