Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

52 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Carrington just retweeted this from February 

He offers some positional flexibility, but I think his ceiling is at B-backer. I'm curious how the staff handles numbers at that position in 2021 cycle, because it seems like more than a couple of the best prospects in the state either project to that position, or mistakenly believe that should be their position. 

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

He offers some positional flexibility, but I think his ceiling is at B-backer. I'm curious how the staff handles numbers at that position in 2021 cycle, because it seems like more than a couple of the best prospects in the state either project to that position, or mistakenly believe that should be their position. 

get errbody, sort it out later

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Jackson is a 4i.  If the staff is telling him he can play some B-backer no problem.  We lined up in a base 3-4 with 2 OLB's some against UGA and will probably do so some in conference play against the Kansas schools now.  We've also ran some 4-man fronts where both ends were in a 2-point stance.  Anyways, if Jackson is 260 lbs in another year it wont matter.

Clayton Smith may be the one to watch, but if the staff thinks he's a Mac or Rover then it wont matter.

29 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

He doesn’t look like a b-backer to me, or at least not one better than our other targets 

I think he’s an undersized DL for us like Roach, or a fullback/whatever we call a traditional h-back type who you use to block from different angles and levels, who can slip open from time to time. He’s really physical, tough, and good at football as a sophomore, so I think the idea of him bullying guys as a blocker is plausible 

He’s obviously a good football player, I’m just not sure where he fits for us; we already have two TE/hybrids, we have probably better b-backer targets, and his best fit is probably as an odd front end and he’d be a little undersized as a 4i, imo. Best case scenario is probably him being a badass b-backer, but I just don’t see it at this point 

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Jackson is a 4i.  If the staff is telling him he can play some B-backer no problem.  We lined up in a base 3-4 with 2 OLB's some against UGA and will probably do so some in conference play against the Kansas schools now.  We've also ran some 4-man fronts where both ends were in a 2-point stance.  Anyways, if Jackson is 260 lbs in another year it wont matter.

Clayton Smith may be the one to watch, but if the staff thinks he's a Mac or Rover then it wont matter.

He's probably still just 16, so it's not like he's done growing, but I don't think his frame looks like he's going to effortlessly pack on 50 lbs to hold down 4i.

FB/TE/H-back/whatever makes sense, but for the presence of McCree and Davis. He looks like he's got very good hands on film to go with his physicality. 

Comp on 247 is Vic Beasley, and when have those ever been wrong?

38 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

this is so fucking stupid.  Don't let your 6 year olds play tackle football.

another perspective. 

props to the dad and coach.  teach kids early how to lay out a motherfucker on the field.  showed great closing speed and form.  saban may have already offered.

• Like 1

From someone who attended the Pleasant Grove - Paris game:

Pleasant Grove won tonight 22-16 over a pesky Paris team. Landon Jackson played the entire game at outside linebacker. He did not take one snap with his hand on the ground. He looked surprisingly quick when moving laterally, and he also looked fluid when dropping in coverage. From what I saw tonight, this should be his permanent position moving forward, as I don't think he has the body type to become an interior lineman. However, he really excelled at rushing the passer. He had 3.5 sacks and pressured the QB on several other occasions. Overall, this was by far and away the best game that Jackson has had at PG. I think the B-Backer position is his calling.

As for Burris, he had a solid game. He reminds me of Princely U. in that he will be a solid to good player at the next level. However, I don't see him as a National top 100 type.

54 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

Sanders is also thought to be a B Backer right? He may commit soon and you have to think that closes up shop for Jackson. 

We aren't turning down a 5* DL.  The staff has told him they like him on the interior/DL with an opportunity to play B-backer some.

35 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We aren't turning down a 5* DL.  The staff has told him they like him on the interior/DL with an opportunity to play B-backer some.

Isn’t he under the impression we are recruiting him at OLB? I thought that was the whole reason he slowed things way down. 

22 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

Isn’t he under the impression we are recruiting him at OLB? I thought that was the whole reason he slowed things way down. 

We can recruit more than one athlete who both project to multiple positions. this staff will not stop recruiting Jackson no matter who else we land.

29 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

Jackson was initially pegged to Aggy by the $9.95ers who reported he was going to commit sometime in the summer. Now he's slowed his recruitment down because he's delayed his commitment and he will likely visit other schools.