Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

@Fud figure we could bring the Sanders talk here.  I like him as a pass rusher, but as someone said he looks more suited for a 4-3.  I've stated before I hope we would run some 4-man fronts going forward, especially if we get guys like Sanders, Jackson, ect.

If Sanders does end up on offense that opens up options on defense where I think you can get Smith at B-backer, tell Jackson he can play some along with 4i, and hopefully Harris turns out to be a Rover or Mac.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah, Texas getting Foster and Jackson to commit would send them over the edge.

What edge, though? It’s like a horizon pool of hope, stupidity, myopia, complete self-unawareness, and gooberism all swirled together. There is no end, only the illusion of it. It’s the fountain of eternal poof. We cannot lose, but neither can they. It’s a bizarre form of hate-fueled symbiosis. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Still don't see how you can convince all 6 of those guys to be in one class.  I'm all for it, just seems unlikely.

Jackson is a swing guy IMO.  

Why? Brocks take no convincing to play with each other, Byrd seems to be pro-Texas despite the assumption that Brock is the heir apparent to LT, and Foster wants to play with Conner/Milroe and have no positional conflicts with the Brocks. For the latter duo one is committed and the other apparently wanted to and was told by his mother to "look around" before making a decision, but is still very pro-UT by all accounts. That leaves Jackson who is a swing guy and the most up in the air. He likes Foster, Milroe, and Conner and seems to like Texas. Praise Milroe. Would be a lot happier if we still had Samples on Byrd though.

7 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Why? Brocks take no convincing to play with each other, Byrd seems to be pro-Texas despite the assumption that Brock is the heir apparent to LT, and Foster wants to play with Conner/Milroe and have no positional conflicts with the Brocks. For the latter duo one is committed and the other apparently wanted to and was told by his mother to "look around" before making a decision, but is still very pro-UT by all accounts. That leaves Jackson who is a swing guy and the most up in the air. He likes Foster, Milroe, and Conner and seems to like Texas. Praise Milroe. Would be a lot happier if we still had Samples on Byrd though.

In a vacuum, we appear to be a great spot with each one of these guys, including Jonah Miller and the Jager kid who just visited, individually. But once you get five into the class, I think it'll be tough to get a sixth guy to join if he's highly rated. I'm not dismissing the possibility, but I agree that it'll be tougher to pull off. 

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think it'll be tough to get a sixth guy to join if he's highly rated

ESPECIALLY if the 6th is a tackle. Looking up at Shep, Johnson, Brock, and Byrd is a bit daunting. Not to mention Christian Jones.

Edit to add Garth and Karic. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

ESPECIALLY if the 6th is a tackle. Looking up at Shep, Johnson, Brock, and Byrd is a bit daunting. Not to mention Christian Jones.

Edit to add Garth and Karic. 

Hookfin, Moore..

We're looking good at tackle, which is why Foster is such an important target imo. James Brockermeyer is as well, but I'm less concerned about landing him. 

52 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

.e996603315150da96f4c1e48a5582174.jpgbe4c6972c17f2f2ef4b74dbb72d53d52.jpg9c05b667e14e93699027568966e51e32.jpg2a554675e29c19119f2bd07809b94a33.jpg34f44594b8f6ffe1a48dcbf2252ebfb6.jpgd2dea32f0ff682085c71ce1a28af39fb.jpgb022127949bed738fbd10779ac8c5543.jpg2ddfae5827650d9bcd9a58600a55516f.jpg

I'm sorry. Help me out here. Did that poster just refer to Tony Buzbee as a Sip? I did a quick google and didn't see another/any Buzbee associated with Bellaire Episcopal 

Certainly I'm missing something here, so someone more enlightened please help me understand what that fucking mouth-breathing goon means. Because if he means Tony Buzbee, I look forward to his next posts talking about massive T sip RC Slocum and #1 Sip Bill Liucci. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

IT

On Clayton Smith.... the Texas High four-star OLB will be tripping back to Austin this weekend and I've already lost count on his ATX appearances in 2019. Smith, 6-foot-3.5, 210 pounds, and his Tigers have started 0-2 and he's looking to help his squad find the win column. He's also catching college games this fall. He took an UOV to Memphis to watch them upset Ole Miss last weekend and loved it. (His father played at Memphis, and they treat him like royalty)

"The fact I have a lot of family and friends down here (Memphis)," said Smith. "The fans are loyal here."

But the next visit is the one he's talked about since last spring. Smith is on the guest list for the festivities in Austin this Saturday.

"It's going to be a great game," Smith insists. "I want to know who is the better team because I have no clue. It'll be crazy."

LSU is a school that has Smith's attention. They offered last spring and have done a good job recruiting him. So has Arkansas, but Texas remains the strongest contender today. For the 2021 ETX defender, this game won't be the deciding factor of where he ends up, but a small indicator of what he could expect.

About Landon Jackson..... Don't call it a comeback, because he's been here for years, or at least it feels like that. The 6-foot-6, 245-pound five-star DE/OLB for Pleasant Grove was back on the field for the first time since last season on Friday night.

Four sacks, three hurries, and two tackles were recorded for the kid who jumped on the scene as a freshmen for PG's 2017 state championship squad. After an offseason of grinding rehabilitation and constant phone calls, text messages, and Twitter DMs from college coaches, it was a big relief to get back to doing what he does best.

"It felt so good to be out there," Jackson said. "We won, which was the most important thing. But to play and play well was really big for me. I had four sacks and should've had more."

Jackson's story is well-told on IT thanks to @aggiecutter10 and myself, and beginning this season, Texas and A&M were the two teams that really stood out. Notre Dame and Alabama have made strong pitches but he'd gone back and forth on the Longhorns and the Aggies. When Texas DC Todd Orlando got involved, it seemed to swing the momentum back to the burnt orange ever so slightly.

Being a junior, he's still got two more years until NSD. He insists he'll drop a top schools list sometime this season, then a tentatively scheduled commitment during the summer going into his senior campaign. A good showing by Texas on Saturday could go a long way for the edge player from Texarkana.

Of note: his teammate, four-star DL Marcus Burris, is a possibility for Saturday as well, but he's still undecided. And that recruitment is many shades of maroon right now.

With Jonah Miller... you're potentially going out-of-state in a cycle (2021) where the position is an embarrassment of riches within a six-hour range from Austin. With Jager Burton too, who was covered in the Monday Scoop.

At 6-foot-6, 285, the four-star road grader for UT five-star pledge Bijan Robinson is acclimating to the recruiting process nicely, while keeping his focus on his junior year at Salpointe Catholic in Arizona.

"I expect us to take state," Miller said so matter-of-factly. "I expect to strive to be better every Friday night. I hope to be a leader and just be myself."

He says Oregon, Texas, Washington, and USC are recruiting him the hardest currently, and another Austin trip could be in the cards.

"I just love the atmosphere and energy at Texas," said Miller. "I really like coach Hand as well as coach Herman."

While we feel the number of offensive linemen will be five or six for the next class, it shows diligence of the staff to make sure to turn over every rock even if you have four- and five-star o-lineman in your state. The most satisfying point here is I don't think UT can lose either way with its selective, judicious process. It also doesn't hurt that Miller and Robinson happen to be good buddies.

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm sorry. Help me out here. Did that poster just refer to Tony Buzbee as a Sip? I did a quick google and didn't see another/any Buzbee associated with Bellaire Episcopal 

Certainly I'm missing something here, so someone more enlightened please help me understand what that fucking mouth-breathing goon means. Because if he means Tony Buzbee, I look forward to his next posts talking about massive T sip RC Slocum and #1 Sip Bill Liucci. 

Nice catch there