Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

16 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:
  Hide contents

Hope all is well, everyone. Just wanted to pass along that I spoke to a source close to Camar Wheaton that told me Texas made a monster impact on his visit this weekend. There were some questions from his camp after the Samples departure, but I’m told Texas checked the boxes this weekend. Wheaton still likes OOS programs like Bama and Michigan but I feel good about where UT stands. He is aiming to make an early decision

So EJ talked to his trainer 

• Like 1

IT

Spoiler

I caught up with some of the targets in the classes ahead, since that's who the staff prioritized on inviting for the LSU tilt.

OL James Brockermeyer, All Saints (Fort Worth, TX) - 2021: Joe covered him from Friday night, here are his thoughts post-game.

Initial impressions:
"Thought it was a really good experience to watch one of the most anticipated games of the year! Was also nice to get to see some of the coaches again."

Balancing being a recruit and a UT fan:
"It’s different coming to the games as a recruit rather than coming to the games as a 10 year old for sure. But I mean we’ll still root for UT when we’re at the games and all that."

How has the transition to LT gone?
"Good! It’s always a good thing to show versatility and gives me a broader perspective of how everything works on the o-line."

OL Donovan Jackson, Episcopal (Bellaire, TX) - 2021: I caught up with the father of The Opening offensive line MVP. As you've been reading, I feel Texas is the team to beat, but Todd Jackson isn't going to tip their hand.

On atmosphere:
"Crowd was electric and felt more like a bowl game matchup more than a week-two non-conference game. Love when big schools aren’t afraid to schedule big games early in the season!"

Were you able to talk to the coaches? Any thoughts on how the o-line played?
"Caught up with Coach Beck and Hand during pregame. O-line played very well and gave Sam great protection."

Any upcoming visits?
"Planning Penn St at Ohio St We’ll see what other options work out."

No mention of Stanford is a bit surprising. No mention of A&M isn't.

OL Reuben Fatheree, Foster (Richmond, TX) - 2021: Much of the board's interest has shifted towards Savion Byrd or Jackson but the staff is still recruiting the 6-foot-8 Fatheree hard. I'd personally be quite intrigued to see what culture and S&C could make of him.

Initial impressions?
"It’s always a good visit.. the game was exciting and the atmosphere was amazing."

Did you get any time with the coaches?
"I was able to speak with some of the coaches before the game but both before and after with Coach Hand."

Upcoming visits?
"Depending on times I would like to try to catch A&M, LSU and Notre Dame. I won’t know for sure though until the times are announced because we practice on Saturday mornings."

CB Hunter Washington, Katy (Katy, TX) - 2021: This will likely be one of those cases where Texas is too late to the party. It may seem early to us but to a prospect who is being heavily pursued by good schools it makes other schools seem disinterested. If UT doesn't jump in soon I'd guess Ohio State for Washington, or maybe Auburn. I think he could make an early spring decision.

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I’ll still be surprised if we take Ruben and if mom allows Mountain to attend here. Tosu remains a serious threat for Jackson until he commits.

Conner, Jackson, James & Tommy, Byrd plus a best available would be incredible.

Also feels like we may get Branson Bragg'd with Foster.  Kid likes Texas, relatives like Texas but mom's not gonna' let it happen.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Also feels like we may get Branson Bragg'd with Foster.  Kid likes Texas, relatives like Texas but mom's not gonna' let it happen.

I think this is slightly different. Mrs. Bragg saw her dream school offer and the kid did not have a choice, now kids are realizing how important Bloomgren was to OL success. 

Mountain was forced to hold off in an effort to see the season play out. Aggie is hoping to win enough this year to sell him on moms choice, moms delay was the only hope remains. We can get him but it’ll be a fight with us having one hand tied behind our back. 

17 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I’ll still be surprised if we take Ruben and if mom allows Mountain to attend here. Tosu remains a serious threat for Jackson until he commits.

Conner, Jackson, James & Tommy, Byrd plus a best available would be incredible.

I really don't think Texas is going to aggressively pursue Fatheree if they're hitting their other priorities.

14 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

5 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I think this is slightly different. Mrs. Bragg saw her dream school offer and the kid did not have a choice, now kids are realizing how important Bloomgren was to OL success. 

Mountain was forced to hold off in an effort to see the season play out. Aggie is hoping to win enough this year to sell him on moms choice, moms delay was the only hope remains. We can get him but it’ll be a fight with us having one hand tied behind our back. 

I don't think the Foster situation is likely to be on par with either Bragg or Winston if Texas puts up double digit wins and ATM continues to show that nothing has really changed as far as their lot in the landscape.

31 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

In a rare departure from the norm, it appears that aggie writers were wildly overstating their chances with a prospect.

I don't know if EJ does chats but if he does I'd like to hear his answer about sharing info behind the scenes with 247 reporters for other schools and how aggy reporters compared to every other school. 

5 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Not sure what it is, but something about the Brockermeyers has me nervous.  Not worried about aggy, but someone like Clemson or Bama can make a nice pitch if they want to leave the state. 

They’ve already made a nice pitch vatito. They can flirt all they want but if our OL keeps it up they and most of our OL targets are coming home. We physically dominated lsu and should continue producing.

i finally had an opportunity to see the “pitch” for our new SEZ, it’s a huge selling point to recruits. 1st class everywhere, couple that with what Yancy is already producing, kids can envision it already. Big for recruiting on top of how well OL/DL are prioritized while on campus.

Edited by Goodman

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

Not sure what it is, but something about the Brockermeyers has me nervous.  Not worried about aggy, but someone like Clemson or Bama can make a nice pitch if they want to leave the state. 

Clemson is the only threat, and that's in part because the dad could legitimately get hired there. The one weakness in Clemson's future is the same as the one in the past - they don't develop OL talent the way they do the other positions. We'll see how Dabo addresses that, or doesn't, in the next few years. 

Herman did his best to fuck up the Brockermeyers' recruitment by slow-playing James and telling the dad the kid should think about walking on. They've recovered and the results of the OL's development under Hand at Texas are trending really well. That will take away a primary concern, which is the same concern that haunted Texas during the Sherman years at ATM. It's nice to feel like we're putting good OL units and depth together again. It's only been forever. 

• Like 5

I think Texas leads individually for all seven top targets if they push for them, and could potentially lead for the two out of state kids, Miller and Jager, if they want to or need to. Those odds potentially change as they decide not to push for some targets and as the class starts to fill up and some guys don't want to be in a class with five other talented OL. Additionally, while the percentage is high for each prospect individually, the odds of landing all of your top six aren't. But I don't really care, Texas will likely land six known now studs, five studs and one late bloomer, or five studs and then kick the last spot a year down the road. In even the worst case scenario of missing on both Brockermeyers, which won't happen, Texas will still land five studs. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think Texas leads individually for all seven top targets if they push for them, and could potentially lead for the two out of state kids, Miller and Jager, if they want to or need to. Those odds potentially change as they decide not to push for some targets and as the class starts to fill up and some guys don't want to be in a class with five other talented OL. Additionally, while the percentage is high for each prospect individually, the odds of landing all of your top six aren't. But I don't really care, Texas will likely land six known now studs, five studs and one late bloomer, or five studs and then kick the last spot a year down the road. In even the worst case scenario of missing on both Brockermeyers, which won't happen, Texas will still land five studs. 

So assuming the Brockermeyer's come and we only land 5 studs, which 2 of Foster, Byrd, Jackson do we want?  Tough question.

Also crazy to think that if we land 5 studs that Conner would be # 5 in that group.  He may be a multi- year starter at Guard.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

So assuming the Brockermeyer's come and we only land 5 studs, which 2 of Foster, Byrd, Jackson do we want?  Tough question.

While I think Byrd is the second best prospect of the whole group, it might make sense to take Foster and Jackson, two potentially elite guards, due to potentially being loaded at tackle with Tommy added to the 2018-2020 tackle classes. Ideally Byrd joins this group though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Texas will likely land six known now studs, five studs and one late bloomer, or five studs and then kick the last spot a year down the road.

So, Tommy-Foster-James-Conner-Jackson and my guess for a 6th would be Miller. Unless Conner is really the 6th and you're able to bring in Byrd over the top. 

Writing off Byrd because Fud is prematurely handwringing due to his own numbers crunching is pretty fucking ridiculous. The guy is the second best OL in the country in 2021. Texas is not going to slowplay him or casually wave him off because they've found some interior guys they like or because they like what they already have on campus. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Writing off Byrd because Fud is prematurely handwringing due to his own numbers crunching is pretty fucking ridiculous. The guy is the second best OL in the country in 2021. Texas is not going to slowplay him or casually wave him off because they've found some interior guys they like or because they like what they already have on campus. 

Where did I handwring, say that Texas will slowplay him, or say that Texas will casually wave him off? I was responding to who I'd take if I had to pick two out of three prospects, followed by saying that I'd like to take all three. 

That's like me saying you were handwringing about the Brockermeyers 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not understanding all the numbers discussions.

Just go for all 6. If one or two of them self-select out or pick somewhere else, then you still have an incredible class. If they don’t, then you just landed one of the best OL hauls in a single class ever. 

It's not about going for six, it's about the sixth guy potentially being less likely to join a class with five studs already committed 

1 hour ago, squeegeedegg said:

A&M out of it for Donovan Jackson?  I like the sound of that

I get the feeling that aggy is really struggling with all the top line OL prospects.

Brocks were never an option.

Byrd - nope

Jackson - nope

Conner - nope

Foster - would have committed to Texas in the summer if mom hadn't stopped him

Fatheree - if there was room he would go to Texas.

If Texas could take all those guys I'm sure they would all come before choosing aggy.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

I get the feeling that aggy is really struggling with all the top line OL prospects.

Brocks were never an option.

Byrd - nope

Jackson - nope

Conner - nope

Foster - would have committed to Texas in the summer if mom hadn't stopped him

Fatheree - if there was room he would go to Texas.

If Texas could take all those guys I'm sure they would all come before choosing aggy.

Maybe the new Muppet coach has some Clay Jennings recruiting skills in him.

fatheree seems to be the odd man out in all this conjecture.  his tape isn’t overwhelming but his frame is bigger than anyone’s and he has athleticism.  I think yancy could turn him into a 6’8” kid with 320-330 lbs of good weight.  with hand coaching him I think his upside is as good as any of the other guys.  but I do see that he’s not better than the other guys presently. 

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's not about going for six, it's about the sixth guy potentially being less likely to join a class with five studs already committed 

I guess, but I don’t think that affects Byrd. He would only be the second OT in the class. The real crunch would be at interior OL with all 4 of those guys and with Conner and J. Brock being the most bought in, you can sell the last two on being the more highly rated guys. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

But what is the realistic, ideal 6? If you land the Brocks, that leaves an interior position and a tackle spot. Then, you've got Foster, Jackson, and Byrd. If Jackson commits first, will Byrd come as a 3rd tackle? If Byrd commits first, would Jackson come as a 3rd tackle? Does it change for either based on what Foster does? 

It's a fascinating o-line class and a strategic challenge we haven't seen for the coaching staff in my memory. For me, you prioritize the edges and develop some guards but I'll be ecstatic to land any combination of Brock, Brock, Foster, Conner, Jackson, Byrd, Jager, and Miller

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

fatheree seems to be the odd man out in all this conjecture.  his tape isn’t overwhelming but his frame is bigger than anyone’s and he has athleticism.  I think yancy could turn him into a 6’8” kid with 320-330 lbs of good weight.  with hand coaching him I think his upside is as good as any of the other guys.  but I do see that he’s not better than the other guys presently. 

But what if he’s 6’10 in 2 years and can’t get low enough to maintain leverage?

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

I guess, but I don’t think that affects Byrd. He would only be the second OT in the class. The real crunch would be at interior OL with all 4 of those guys and with Conner and J. Brock being the most bought in, you can sell the last two on being the more highly rated guys. 

I haven't ruled out that class in the least, which to me is the ideal class at this point. Assuming James Brockermeyer continues to ascend to a higher ranking, I'm merely saying that our odds of landing a sixth highly rated guy get lowered because it doesn't happen. 

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But what if he’s 6’10 in 2 years and can’t get low enough to maintain leverage?

I’d imagine if he got that big he’d just play basketball and his spot would open up.  if he doesn’t get any taller he seems like a future 6’8” 330 lb 1st round LT.  but I guess it’s easy to be optimistic when they are high school juniors. 

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

Where did I handwring, say that Texas will slowplay him, or say that Texas will casually wave him off? I was responding to who I'd take if I had to pick two out of three prospects, followed by saying that I'd like to take all three. 

That's like me saying you were handwringing about the Brockermeyers 

My commentary is relative. You're not a handwringer. You were doing your own version of it by thinking out loud about "what happens if?", then others began to respond as though, "welp, I guess not having Byrd is livable". So I wasn't saying you specifically were typing about a slowplay or waving him off, but that others were doing so by taking cues from the original statement around the math.

I did handwring, in a relative sense, about the Brockermeyers, but mostly because of the handling. SydneyCarton, of course, as he does, took handwringing with them to a new level. 

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not understanding all the numbers discussions.

Just go for all 6. If one or two of them self-select out or pick somewhere else, then you still have an incredible class. If they don’t, then you just landed one of the best OL hauls in a single class ever. 

For a lawyer, you sure do struggle with the basics of game theory. I thought they taught that shit in law school? 

There's no point to any of this unless you play around with the entire visible host of options, which is why the numbers discussion always happens, whether for units or classes or groups of classes. 

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

But what is the realistic, ideal 6? If you land the Brocks, that leaves an interior position and a tackle spot. Then, you've got Foster, Jackson, and Byrd. If Jackson commits first, will Byrd come as a 3rd tackle? If Byrd commits first, would Jackson come as a 3rd tackle? Does it change for either based on what Foster does? 

It's a fascinating o-line class and a strategic challenge we haven't seen for the coaching staff in my memory. For me, you prioritize the edges and develop some guards but I'll be ecstatic to land any combination of Brock, Brock, Foster, Conner, Jackson, Byrd, Jager, and Miller

The realistic 6 is Conner, Brock 1, Brock 2, Foster, Jackson, and Byrd until we are told otherwise. All 6 of those guys like Texas and would come here if they were forced to sign somewhere today. Obviously, shit changes and this one may well. A month ago, Jackson would not have been included as one of the six. Foster could very well move off the list later. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

For a lawyer, you sure do struggle with the basics of game theory. I thought they taught that shit in law school? 

There's no point to any of this unless you play around with the entire visible host of options, which is why the numbers discussion always happens, whether for units or classes or groups of classes. 

Lol. Whatever you say. I was taking numbers and positions into account, I just didn’t write out the whole thought process because it ultimately boils down to go for the top 6. 

The only crunch I see is at G. We have numbers in 2021, so 6 OL shouldn’t be a problem.  We’re only really discussing two primary Tackle options: Brock and Byrd. I don’t think Fatheree’s worth it in this class. His height and ability to bend/get leverage is too much of a question mark compared to the top two, and the OOS options aren’t on the same talent level, IMO.  As for Guard, Brock 2 is mandatory and Conner is already in the boat. From a talent perspective, one of those two are the ones I’d push out if we have too many interior OL in the class for Foster or Jackson’s liking, but that’s not going to happen. Foster and Jackson are both elite, but they’re also the most speculative adds of the whole group, so I’d say the goal is to go full on for both and secure one of them, knowing the odds of landing both isn’t extremely high. If you can get 1 and still land the other after, then great. If not, unless Conner gets nervous about numbers and goes elsewhere, you live with it, and Hand will be ecstatic about that 5 man class. 

Since we've got the OL talk going here's an interview Hayden Conner did with Spiegelman with all the pointless stuff cut out

Spoiler

On Sept. 1 arriving: "I've been dealing with coaches not being able to talk to me directly since the eighth grade, so it's gonna be nice to have Coach (Herb) Hand reach out whenever he wants to see me or give me information on a camp or just spending some time with him. That's what I'm looking forward to the most."

On being a recruiter for the Longhorns: "When I committed, it was a weight lifted off my shoulders, but now it's back a little bit. I was a big target when I would go out on the field, not just as Hayden Conner the recruit, but Hayden Conner Texas commit. It's a little more pressure, but I'm always looking to recruit dudes. I have a friend from Tennessee, Junior Colson, and I invited him down to the LSU game to check it out. I'm trying to build up the class. I embrace it (the pressure) because in the future it'll make me better."

Who are your top targets? Donovan (Jackson) and Bryce (Foster). That's all I'm concerned about. I know that it's not about the talent of guys on the offensive line; it's about how well you work together, and me and Donovan and Bryce work together really well. Donovan has been more talkative with Bryce. Bryce wants to take his time. Donovan is wanting to make a decision and he's stuck between three schools right now."

This is the Tennessee guy he mentioned: https://247sports.com/Player/Junior-Colson-46082800/

The last sentence on Jackson is interesting. Probably us/tOSU/Stanford

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Let's flip this discussion and talk about the DL.  Who of Jackson, Turner, Adeleye, Thomas are we looking to get?  Sanders is on board.  I'm not counting Burris, who doesn't seem likely.  Should Clayton Smith be thrown in with this bunch?

It's got to be Jackson and Adeleye, though Turner is the highest on Texas of the group it appears. Clayton Smith, at 6'4 215 looks like an Ossai starter kit but I don't see a 40 for him anywhere. This class looks thin at DT right now. The highest ranked true DT prospect in Texas is a 3* from DeSoto

For what it's worth, I would have done the same regarding Brock #2 if I was a coach, and I assume any competent head coach in Herman's position would have explored the PWO option in this particular situation.

Herman's fault probably lies in trying to push walking on longer than he should have.  If the mere suggestion of it caused issues then that's just laughable.  In either case, by far the best performing group this season so far for Texas has been the OL and it's not even close imo.  That alone should help seal the deal on the targets we really want for 2021.  Shackelford was the preseason award nominee and right now he hasn't been bad but is being overshadowed by every other guy on the starting OL.  This is fucking awesome and a testament to both evaluation during the Herman tenure and Hand's coaching

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It's got to be Jackson and Adeleye, though Turner is the highest on Texas of the group it appears. Clayton Smith, at 6'4 215 looks like an Ossai starter kit but I don't see a 40 for him anywhere. This class looks thin at DT right now. The highest ranked true DT prospect in Texas is a 3* from DeSoto

Hopefully this just ends up like the T'Vondre Sweat situation - "oh my God we didn't take a nose tackle" without taking into account that kids grow.

13 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Since we've got the OL talk going here's an interview Hayden Conner did with Spiegelman with all the pointless stuff cut out

Hide contents

On Sept. 1 arriving: "I've been dealing with coaches not being able to talk to me directly since the eighth grade, so it's gonna be nice to have Coach (Herb) Hand reach out whenever he wants to see me or give me information on a camp or just spending some time with him. That's what I'm looking forward to the most."

On being a recruiter for the Longhorns: "When I committed, it was a weight lifted off my shoulders, but now it's back a little bit. I was a big target when I would go out on the field, not just as Hayden Conner the recruit, but Hayden Conner Texas commit. It's a little more pressure, but I'm always looking to recruit dudes. I have a friend from Tennessee, Junior Colson, and I invited him down to the LSU game to check it out. I'm trying to build up the class. I embrace it (the pressure) because in the future it'll make me better."

Who are your top targets? Donovan (Jackson) and Bryce (Foster). That's all I'm concerned about. I know that it's not about the talent of guys on the offensive line; it's about how well you work together, and me and Donovan and Bryce work together really well. Donovan has been more talkative with Bryce. Bryce wants to take his time. Donovan is wanting to make a decision and he's stuck between three schools right now."

This is the Tennessee guy he mentioned: https://247sports.com/Player/Junior-Colson-46082800/

The last sentence on Jackson is interesting. Probably us/tOSU/Stanford

He simultaneously holds an offer and doesn't hold an offer from Tennessee. Impressive.

Edited by Bevo14