Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hopefully this just ends up like the T'Vondre Sweat situation - "oh my God we didn't take a nose tackle" without taking into account that kids grow.

Adeleye might end up inside, but you can't tell him that

Edit to add: The in state DT camped in June and walked away without an offer. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

47 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

But what is the realistic, ideal 6? If you land the Brocks, that leaves an interior position and a tackle spot. Then, you've got Foster, Jackson, and Byrd. If Jackson commits first, will Byrd come as a 3rd tackle? If Byrd commits first, would Jackson come as a 3rd tackle? Does it change for either based on what Foster does? 

It's a fascinating o-line class and a strategic challenge we haven't seen for the coaching staff in my memory. For me, you prioritize the edges and develop some guards but I'll be ecstatic to land any combination of Brock, Brock, Foster, Conner, Jackson, Byrd, Jager, and Miller

Jackson may be listed as Tackle on 247, but I thought the guy was projecting as an elite guard, sorta like Green was last year?

With your scenario playing out, you literally have 2 elite Tackles (byrd and tommy), 2 elite OGs (Jackson and Foster), James  at Center, and Connor also at Guard. I feel like 3 guards at 2 starting positions is not really all that difficult a sell in an offensive line class. Especially when the 3rd guy is Connor, who's coming here regardless to play school. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My commentary is relative. You're not a handwringer. You were doing your own version of it by thinking out loud about "what happens if?", then others began to respond as though, "welp, I guess not having Byrd is livable". So I wasn't saying you specifically were typing about a slowplay or waving him off, but that others were doing so by taking cues from the original statement around the math.

I did handwring, in a relative sense, about the Brockermeyers, but mostly because of the handling. SydneyCarton, of course, as he does, took handwringing with them to a new level. 

For a lawyer, you sure do struggle with the basics of game theory. I thought they taught that shit in law school? 

There's no point to any of this unless you play around with the entire visible host of options, which is why the numbers discussion always happens, whether for units or classes or groups of classes. 

The realistic 6 is Conner, Brock 1, Brock 2, Foster, Jackson, and Byrd until we are told otherwise. All 6 of those guys like Texas and would come here if they were forced to sign somewhere today. Obviously, shit changes and this one may well. A month ago, Jackson would not have been included as one of the six. Foster could very well move off the list later. 

It would be handwringing over them, you cocksucking, ball gargling ponce. Handwringing with them would imply that we were all wringing our hands together for a common cause of distress. King of fucking scrabble my ass. You just ambushed yourself into a cup of coffee. 

If anything, I was wringing my hands over Tom Herman's dipshittery. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jackson may be listed as Tackle on 247, but I thought the guy was projecting as an elite guard, sorta like Green was last year?

With your scenario playing out, you literally have 2 elite Tackles (byrd and tommy), 2 elite OGs (Jackson and Foster), James  at Center, and Connor also at Guard. I feel like 3 guards at 2 starting positions is not really all that difficult a sell in an offensive line class. Especially when the 3rd guy is Connor, who's coming here regardless to play school. 

To me, Conner and Jackson are "swing guys"; ideally they're guards but probably are tackles for most teams because most teams don't have good tackles

Tommy, Byrd, and Fatheree are tackles, James is a center/guard, and Foster is a guard 

The Brothers Brockermeyers, Byrd, Conner, Jackson, and Foster class covers all of the bases with high quality talent, and would be coming into a situation where the cupboard isn't near bare, so they'd either get time to redshirt and marinade, or force their way into playing time early over other talented players 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, futureman said:

fatheree seems to be the odd man out in all this conjecture.  his tape isn’t overwhelming but his frame is bigger than anyone’s and he has athleticism.  I think yancy could turn him into a 6’8” kid with 320-330 lbs of good weight.  with hand coaching him I think his upside is as good as any of the other guys.  but I do see that he’s not better than the other guys presently. 

IMO Fetheree should not be with the other guys we are discussing here. Take away height concerns, he is a huge project and I am not sold that he has the mentality we want, reminds me more of a Nickelson type than Cosmi...

1 hour ago, squeegeedegg said:

For what it's worth, I would have done the same regarding Brock #2 if I was a coach, and I assume any competent head coach in Herman's position would have explored the PWO option in this particular situation.

No shit, huh? You'd do that after OU had already offered the player? You think that would workout pretty for you with the dad and the recruit, do you? No. And no "competent head coach in Herman's position would have explored the PWO option" because the rest of the competent HCs aren't automatons with an inability to read their audience.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

It would be handwringing over them, you cocksucking, ball gargling ponce. Handwringing with them would imply that we were all wringing our hands together for a common cause of distress. King of fucking scrabble my ass. You just ambushed yourself into a cup of coffee. 

If anything, I was wringing my hands over Tom Herman's dipshittery. 

You had a chance to do this right, and you blew it. "Also, it would be handwringing over them and not handwringing with them, you poncy schoolboy."

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No shit, huh? You'd do that after OU had already offered the player? You think that would workout pretty for you with the dad and the recruit, do you? No. And no "competent head coach in Herman's position would have explored the PWO option" because the rest of the competent HCs aren't automatons with an inability to read their audience.

You had a chance to do this right, and you blew it. "Also, it would be handwringing over them and not handwringing with them, you poncy schoolboy."

source.gif

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

Im sorry to be the one to break it but the Brockermeyers are going to OU. You can consider it a lock! 

This is how you need to keep rolling, Longhorn94. I think recruiting prognostications from you and big game predictions from me have set Texas football back by at least 3 decades since 2009.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Cross posting this one in both our and aggy 2021 threads. This is awesome.

spacer.png

So did Sam Spiegelman change his pick from aggy to Texas just for the hell of it after visiting his school this past week?  He has over 90% correct picks.

Can't wait for the meltdown/fire Henson talk.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

Jackson and Foster are the two guys that they can't afford to lose from a cognitive dissonance standpoint. Foster being a legacy and seen as a lock, and a truly elite player. Having him go to us would be the equivalent of Armageddon in their mind. The only thing that might be worse would be Jackson, who they've penciled in as a solid chance for a commit, but someone completely off our radar. If he were to turn around and commit to us, someone he hadn't even considered until now, over them, the head explosions would be seen for miles. Losing him to Stanford or Ohio State, they could live with, but Texas? 

giphy.gif

If both of these things were to happen...it might be the biggest recruiting meltdown over there we have ever seen, and I'm not even sure it would be close. There's no player they can replace those guys with from a talent perspective. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If both of these things were to happen...it might be the biggest recruiting meltdown over there we have ever seen, and I'm not even sure it would be close. There's no player they can replace those guys with from a talent perspective. 

Some 3* in New Jersey or Tennessee will replace them and be better.  If they were from Texas they'd be 4*'s.  Doesn't matter, Fatheree is the highest rated OL for 2021 in the Texags 44.  Trust the Jimbo.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jackson and Foster are the two guys that they can't afford to lose from a cognitive dissonance standpoint. Foster being a legacy and seen as a lock, and a truly elite player. Having him go to us would be the equivalent of Armageddon in their mind. The only thing that might be worse would be Jackson, who they've penciled in as a solid chance for a commit, but someone completely off our radar. If he were to turn around and commit to us, someone he hadn't even considered until now, over them, the head explosions would be seen for miles. Losing him to Stanford or Ohio State, they could live with, but Texas? 

giphy.gif

Well that's a dark gif, make no mistake

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Trey Zuhn would be top player in the country if he were in Texas and going to camps. Believe you me

!!eCE7ow!2M~$(KGrHqF,!jkE0C4ZCF2HBNREUMs

• Like 4

giphy.gif

Purely within the framework of comparing destinations, I can understand why some kids prefer cs to Austin. However, upon reading that yahoo piece chronicling the Texas program, I cannot understand why kids would choose to forego the opportunity to play football in Austin and go to cs. Texas lost 1 meaningful recruiting battle to them this cycle, down from a few the cycle before. 2021 is shaping up to be a year where we lose none, and I’ll expect the subsequent years to be much of the same. There will be a texags mutiny, and I’m here for it.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Texas lost 1 meaningful recruiting battle to them this cycle, down from a few the cycle before. 2021 is shaping up to be a year where we lose none, and I’ll expect the subsequent years to be much of the same. There will be a texags mutiny, and I’m here for it.

Don't count out a Texas lean committing to them out of the blue at Jr. Day or the Super Bowl party.  It's happened the last 2 years.

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Don't count out a Texas lean committing to them out of the blue at Jr. Day or the Super Bowl party.  It's happened the last 2 years.

cash-yo.gif

Also given the trends, just pick our favorite WR in the class and it's probably them. What a funny coincidence that's Dameyune Craig's position...

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, it would be outdone if we got the Pleasant Grove aggy legacy as well on top of those two, as he seems to be trending back towards us because of the B Backer position.

Texas lost 1 meaningful recruiting battle to them this cycle, down from a few the cycle before. 2021 is shaping up to be a year where we lose none, and I’ll expect the subsequent years to be much of the same. There will be a texags mutiny, and I’m here for it.

I think both Demas and Jones are meaningful loses. We wanted both. Omieri was a loss but one I think we are all happy went their way.