Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They think they can leverage the Ro Simon connection, which hasn't exactly been firing on all cylinders for them this month.

How much of a factor do you think Latrell Neville plays in Grimes's recruitment? If Herman and staff accept Neville's commitment sooner rather than later, this one might be over before it even gets started in earnest.

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, it’s not as ... Roliable as it once was. Weird. It’s almost like Jimbo has a hard time maintaining positive relationships. 

You know, she didn't used to look nearly so scary as she does now. It's like everything Jimbo touches (no matter for how short a period) goes from gold to charcoal. I'm sure aTm's alchemy department is looking into reverse engineering the process.

CCUAXQDEYXTZKNK.20140702094617.jpeg

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

You know, she didn't used to look nearly so scary as she does now. It's like everything Jimbo touches (no matter for how short a period) goes from gold to charcoal. I'm sure aTm's alchemy department is looking into reverse engineering the process.

Is that Karen when she first met Jimbo?

18 hours ago, squeegeedegg said:

I don't see McCutchin as much of a loss anyway.  He goes to my alma mater and competition in that district is meh to say the least.  Same for our boy princely but oh well glad to have him

Farrell is going to push Latrell to a 5* ranking on Rivals

9 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Whoa, Jimbo has more hair now than he did back then. How does that happen?

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

Grime's dad likes Jimbo I believe.  He's visited aggy twice already I believe and I think he was quoted saying he was going to visit again.  

It won't matter though when Bama, UGA, Clemson, etc all push for him.

We have to hope he gives Jimbo all the time he needs to show he's a douche, rather than Jaylon Jones appearing to shut it all down early and be happy with the Monds and Dameyune Craig occasionally saying hi.

SIAP, but our most knowledgeable insider, Mike Roach, said he got some info when he visited Denton Ryan’s practice that Ja’Tavion Sanders is likely to commit to UT in the near future, which is why he put in his CB. He sounded pretty confident on the Blitz about this one, compare for most of his predictions, which amount to “it seems like Texas should win this one but I don’t know.”

itll be interesting to see what position Sanders ends up at. He’s got a lot of room left on his frame to add muscle, but I’m not sure he has the frame for 4i. We seem to be deep at B-backer this cycle, so hopefully Sanders could get up to 4i size, but it’s obviously too early to tell at this point. I know he plays WR in HS, but I don’t really see WR/TE in his future. He doesn’t look all that fluid running his routes. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

55 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

SIAP, but our most knowledgeable insider, Mike Roach, said he got some info when he visited Denton Ryan’s practice that Ja’Tavion Sanders is likely to commit to UT in the near future, which is why he put in his CB. He sounded pretty confident on the Blitz about this one, compare for most of his predictions, which amount to “it seems like Texas should win this one but I don’t know.”

itll be interesting to see what position Sanders ends up at. He’s got a lot of room left on his frame to add muscle, but I’m not sure he has the frame for 4i. We seem to be deep at B-backer this cycle, so hopefully Sanders could get up to 4i size, but it’s obviously too early to tell at this point. I know he plays WR in HS, but I don’t really see WR/TE in his future. He doesn’t look all that fluid running his routes. 

He's a badass.  Get him in the boat and we'll figure out where to play him in a few years.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I could see him as a TE/HB, but definitely not as a receiver. But he looks better as a d lineman.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I posted a few days, but hopefully getting guys like Sanders and potentially a Landon Jackson, Jordan Thomas, and/or Clayton Smith could utilize more 4-man fronts with these guys as DE's and just let the front 4 get after the QB.

Landon Jackson looks more likely to grow into a 4i.

IDK where Clayton Smith projects ( I've seen camp vids where he's dropping in coverage playing LB, bit clips in HS practice playing DE ).  Not sure if he's in the same group as the staff views Harris, Jackson, and Sanders, but I hope they can find a place for him in this class because he's a stud.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

He's a badass.  Get him in the boat and we'll figure out where to play him in a few years.  

Obviously.

57 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I posted a few days, but hopefully getting guys like Sanders and potentially a Landon Jackson, Jordan Thomas, and/or Clayton Smith could utilize more 4-man fronts with these guys as DE's and just let the front 4 get after the QB.

Landon Jackson looks more likely to grow into a 4i.

IDK where Clayton Smith projects ( I've seen camp vids where he's dropping in coverage playing LB, bit clips in HS practice playing DE ).  Not sure if he's in the same group as the staff views Harris, Jackson, and Sanders, but I hope they can find a place for him in this class because he's a stud.

Jackson is a 4i all the way. Any mention of B-backer for him is purely for recruiting purposes. Clayton Smith seems like a B-backer all the way, though his route running at WR is pretty impressive, so he might have the agility to play some Rover, a la Ossai. Harris Jr. also looks like a potential, B-backer but I pretty the staff sees him as an ILB for this class. Sanders seems like a B-backer to me also. I agree those guys would translate well to a 4 man front and it wouldn’t hurt to have one, but I doubt Orlando will ever base out of a 4 man front. It’s just not as effective against most teams we’ll face. 

Regardless, if you can bring in all that talent, you do it and then figure out the best way to use that personnel when it’s time to play them, but it’ll definitely be interesting to see how Orlando utilizes all those guys if we can get them.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2019 at 11:55 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

What a nice family pic. Looks like it’s from about the year 3 B.C.  

Before Cucking 

• Like 1

As per Orangebloods via TFloss, this recruit is supposed to be visiting for the season opener.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jager-Burton-46076924/

Interesting that the staff is kicking the tires on this recruit, given the embarrassing amount of in-state talent at OL next season. Maybe he is visiting the top programs on his own dime this summer. But I'm all for taking the kid, just so we can call him the "Jagermeister."

Edited by UDontKnow

IT

This weekend I caught up with 2021 wide receiver Latrell Neville, then spoke with the father of 2021 five-star cornerback Tony Grimes, and got the latest in the recruitment of 2021 running back LJ Johnson.

-- WR Latrell Neville, Hightower (Missouri City, TX) - .9411 composite

Originally from Louisiana, Neville is an XWR candidate with size, coordination, mobility, and strong hands.

IT: You get bigger every time I talk to you, what's your current size?
LN: "Currently I'm 6-foot-4, 205. I was 208, then down to 198 but I am 205 right now."

IT: What were your summer visits?
LN: "Texas, LSU, Bama, Georgia, OU. Basically my top five."

IT: What do you like about UT?
LN: "The way they utilize WR, I see myself playing the role that Collin Johnson does. I can play there and be a playmaker, especially with the quarterbacks they're bringing in with Hudson (Card) and (Jalen) Milroe. Plus playing on opposite sides of Quay Davis would be fun."

IT: Decision timeline?
LN: "I'm making an announcement after the season. I'll take spring officials and am hoping to announce at my school in May."

IT: At school? That's sadly becoming a thing of the past:
LN: "I'm not big on videos, I want to be around family, teammates, coaches, teachers, and celebrate with people."

IT: How often do you talk to UT's best recruiter, Jalen Milroe?
LN: "[laughing] Probably talk to him about three times a week. Some weeks a little more than others."

IT: Goals for the season?
LN: "I want to catch for 1000 yards and play 16 games."

IT: Tell me about the move to Hightower:
LN: "It's been amazing. I live two minutes from the school; it's just a better environment, administrators, teachers, counselors, academics. As far as football goes it's a good environment too."

IT: Your last school didn't throw it much.
LN: "I actually had more rushes than catches. They run the Art Briles offense at Hightower."

IT: You helped five-star corner Tony Grimes get his offer from Texas. Have you talked to him lately?
LN: "I haven't talked to him in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll see him at Texas for the LSU game. Tony, man, he's one of the most gifted guys I've seen in person as far as how advanced he is early on. I feel like he could have graduated in the 2019 class and been a big prospect."

IT: I think UT will make it interesting for Grimes and at least give him something to think about.
LN: "Texas can legitimately claim DBU."

IT: Before we go, sounds you're visiting for the LSU game. Where else?
LN: "I'd like to visit my top-five this season. I'd like to see the University of Washington. I might visit Duke with my teammate Christian Hood who is committed there."

IT: Oh yeah, Hood (2020 LB). Do you know if UT is showing interest in him?
LN: "They have shown interest. We were supposed to make it to the Stars at Night camp but haven't. That guy is a stud. He does workouts before his workouts. I'm serious, he'll get up at 4:30. He's built. Extremely hard worker and super smart. Dude is a machine."

Texas will keep close tabs on both Neville and Hood this season.

-- CB Tony Grimes, Princess Anne (Virginia Beach, VA) - .9940

I was surprised this didn't get more run in the Prospect Board.

https://twitter.com/757EliteDB/status/1165388475195113472

The kid not only wished his dad a happy birthday using a picture of them at Texas, but he tagged Jason Washington in it as well. That's not the most common thing. My intuition has been that UT will make the final cut for Grimes so that really caught my attention.

Based on what I know thus far, I think this could be a winnable recruitment.

Here's what his dad had to say regarding their status:

"Can't wait to get back down for a game. Working on a schedule now. Once I nail down game dates that will be convenient for travel I will let you know what game we will be at. We play most of our games on Friday night. It is a major task planning travel during the season."

We'll want to pay attention to all the schools they visit this season. "Well, we have been to just about all of the main schools. Working on return visits for schools we like."

-- RB LJ Johnson, Cy-Fair (Cypress, TX) - .9538 composite

He isn't the most talkative but he's still an easy kid to talk to.

IT: Personal goals for the upcoming season?
LJ: "I just want to make it as far as we can in the playoffs."

IT: Any visits planned?
LJ: "I know I'll be at the Texas and LSU game. That's the one I'll be at so far. Nothing else planned other than that."

*LJ said he talks to UT once a week but he expects that to pick up after the staff can start contacting him on September 1st. Other schools he's in contact with are "right now, OU, Arkansas, Baylor, Houston, Texas A&M, and Michigan."

IT: Texas went on a recruiting run with some of your classmates. Do you talk to those guys much?
LJ: "[laughing] Oh yeah, yeah, I talk to a few of them. I talk to Jalen, Hayden (Conner), and Derrick (Harris)."

IT: It's early but with those guys recruiting you I'm curious about your timeline to decide.
LJ: "I'm probably going to take my time, but after this season I'll drop a top list of favorites. I'm going to see how the season goes for the schools I'm interested in and take it from there."

IT: You grew up rooting for LSU. Who do you think wins between them and UT?
LJ: "Oooh, I don't know. That's why I want to go so bad. I think it's going to be a good, close game. I can see it going either way."

IT: I'm drawing a blank, who is your first game?
LJ: "The Woodlands on Saturday night."

IT: That's right, I was talking to your quarterback but when he told me when it was I realized it was during the Texas game:
LJ: "Dang, I know."

It might not come across in text but he's pretty excited about Texas and I'm not so sure about his stated timeline. I love the kid for the program as things set up. He can be a volume carry guy who works inside as well as outside.

WEST COAST HORNS

Texas coach Tom Herman has made going out West the norm when selecting prospects for Austin. De'Gabriel Floyd, Chris Adimora, Mikey Grandy, and Jake Smith are just a few of the players that UT has landed during the Herman regime.

So when they contacted Corner Canyon (UT) defensive lineman Van Fillinger early this year, it was par for the course. At almost 6-foot-4, 255 pounds, the three-star from Utah made his first trip to the Forty Acres last spring, and walked away thinking Texas might be the pick. But they'd have to overcome Oregon (his local favorite) and Michigan (his childhood favorite).

The Ducks and Wolverines wanted him to play defensive tackle, like most of his 18 offers, but UT told him he'd be great at DE. So, gain 45 pounds and play inside or gain 25 pounds and play 4i. For Fillinger, he wants the opportunity to have a choice. DL coach Oscar Giles told him he could have one. By the time Fillinger returned to Austin, he had basically made up his mind; it was Texas.

Down south in Arizona, the Horns hooked five-star RB Bijan Robinson this summer. His story is a little different.

When Robinson was set to drop his Top 10 schools, Coach Dennis Bene told him he should add UT to the list. That's a place you want to see, Bene told Robinson. Bijan had no clue what to expect when he arrived for the spring game. But after that weekend trip, he came back and told coach Bene that Texas might be the spot.

Two months later, he gave Ohio State a silent commit, but per a source, he felt pressured by the Buckeyes' staff. That pressure started to build up, while Texas and RB coach Stan Drayton didn't pressure at all. They gave him the total freedom to take more visits, see other places, then give them a call when he's ready. It worked.

Robinson, who is very religious, relied on advice from his family, coaches, and his Lord. And when he woke up a few days before his big decision, he knew it was Texas. Robinson is a culture fit to the highest degree. He brings size, speed, quickness, and a humble man's approach to life. He's been raised this way.

He's also close to 2021 OL teammate and UT target, Jonah Miller. At 6-foot-6, 285 pounds, the four-star from Salpointe Catholic (AZ) also has his eyes on Austin. That said, the in-state crop of offensive linemen in Texas for the next cycle is absolutely stacked. Would Texas find room for Miller?

I'm told they still like Miller and are still recruiting him. It helps UT's cause that Miller is dating one of the top basketball players in the country, who happens to be near the top of UT women's basketball coach Karen Aston's 2021 big board. If Texas takes six in 2021, I believe Miller could be in the conversation. He plans on visiting Texas this fall, probably with Robinson.

With the recent injury to Jaylen Garth (Port Neches-Groves four-star pledge), the chances UT takes another o-lineman in 2020 are still slim, but could make the number six in 2021 a little easier sell.

Either way, Texas will continue to hunt along the west coast for guys that fit the culture and expectations of Longhorns Football.