Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

4 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

How much influence does Meekins have in Houston hs coaching circles? Meh is Herman's little wunderkind project (see TXHSFBCAC), so I would be curious which he would decide to let go if one of them does get the boot

Some of this kind of thing comes down to an individual's personal ambition. Texas can find a fit for a coach that wants to move off the field and be involved with the program otherwise if there's a concern about impact with HS coaches.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think you’re looking way too much into the Samples loss with that recruitment. Did it have an impact? Yes, but sounds like that recruitment is going to be wild regardless of what happened with Samples. Similar to Evans. 

I think Samples has a lot more influence in recruiting than just 1 RB.  He has s lot of influence in the Dallas area (including his Dad’s at Duncanvillev& Skyline).  We do not need to concede DFW.

5 minutes ago, cochamps said:

I think Samples has a lot more influence in recruiting than just 1 RB.  He has s lot of influence in the Dallas area (including his Dad’s at Duncanvillev& Skyline).  We do not need to concede DFW.

well yeah but that wasn't the point. The point is there is a lot more involved in the Wheaton recruitment than Samples. Also, Texas isn't conceding DFW. Since Samples left they already landed Bowman, Davis and it sounds like Ty Jordan is coming next in the '20 class. 

We probably need another DFW recruiter but it's not like they're conceding that area.  That was just satya being the normal bitch he is after we got Newton'd by Auburn for CTJ. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Mike at Night on 2021 guys

Spoiler

—I was able to catch Texas commit Billy Bowman in action today during his practice. Bowman played both receiver and defensive back on the day, and it’s clear to see why he was a priority for Texas early. At receiver, Bowman is dangerous with the ball in his hands. His route running is precise, and he can push you deep or run you in circles from the slot. I really like his potential at safety. There will be many slot options in 2021, but safety is a little thin. Bowman shows great range and he plays with excellent feet in coverage. I think his best upside might be on the defensive side of the ball, but he’ll get an opportunity to play both either side once he gets to college. As for his recruitment, Bowman said he’s grown very close with Jalen Milroe, and he’s excited to get to Austin for the LSU game.

—I spoke with 2021 Denton Ryan ATH Ja'Tavion Sanders for a bit after practice today. Sanders had a relatively quiet summer when it comes to visits, but he said that Texas and Texas A&M are the two schools really standing out right now. Sanders said that Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles and defensive coordinator Todd Orlando are the two coaches he speaks with most. Sanders said he has an idea of where he wants to end up and a decision could come as soon as mid-fall. He didn’t give much away, but I think Texas holds an edge here. Sanders stated in the past that he grew up a Texas fan and his entire family are fans of the Longhorns. He also has Bowman in his ear at Ryan and there are some pro-Texas staffers on the coaching staff, including former Longhorn Alex De La Torre. The coaches there aren’t pushing any of the kids, but I’d bet he hears pretty positive reviews about Texas on a daily basis.

—I checked in with a source regarding 2021 Lakeview Centennial running back Camar Wheaton. As I’ve reported, Texas momentum slowed a bit following Ra’Shaad Samples’ departure. That said, Texas isn’t out of the race by any means. The source I spoke with said that Texas still ranks very high on Wheaton’s list of schools, and I was told that Stan Drayton is the coach he has the best relationship with at this point. He has no stated timeline for his commitment, and it really could happen at any time. I was told in the summer that those around him expected him to pull the trigger before this season, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if it stretched out some.

• Like 1

Texas kids in the 2021 Rivals top 100

5) Tommy Brockermeyer, OT
7) Camar Wheaton, RB
10) Savion Byrd, OT
11) Bryce Foster, OG
23) Preston Stone, QB
41) Ja'Tavion Sanders, ATH
44) Tunmise Adeleye, DL
45) Donovan Jackson, OL
58) Landon Jackson, DL
60) Latrell McCutchin, CB
61) Garrett Nussmeier, QB

68) Shadrach Banks, WR
80) Quaydarius Davis, WR
91) Billy Bowman, DB

96) LJ Johnson, RB
97) Latrell Neville, WR
98) Jalen Milroe, QB
99) Jaeden Roberts, OG

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals100/2021

Full rankings. Korey Foreman is the new number 1and OU's Brock Vandagriff (formerly the top player) is now number 2.

there are some highly rated kids who clearly matured faster than their peers, like went straight from 15 years old to 30 in one year

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Sounds like Wheaton and LJ Johnson are the top 2 picks for RB and if we land them that probably leaves Campbell out if this happens.  To bad because sounds Campbell loves Texas, is a culture fit, and pretty good in his own right, but the other 2 are obviously big time studs.

I would say it's very unlikely we land both Wheaton and Johnson. They should just go ahead and take Campbell. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

My understanding is that we dont have the technology yet. 

We have the technology but the shortened telomeres may negatively impact lifespan. I'm sure Katfid can confirm that they look the same.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

I sweatergawd, every RB prospect we show interest in gets compared to Jamaal Charles, who is one of the most unique RBs out there.

I will never understand Surly’s RB comps. Wheaton is nothing like Jamaal Charles. Darrion Brown is nothing like Jamaal, neither is Bijan. Can we just stop with the Charles comps?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I sweatergawd, every RB prospect we show interest in gets compared to Jamaal Charles, who is one of the most unique RBs out there.

I will never understand Surly’s RB comps. Wheaton is nothing like Jamaal Charles. Darrion Brown is nothing like Jamaal, neither is Bijan. Can we just stop with the Charles comps?

The one guy that actually kind of reminds me of Jamaal is Travis Etienne. Great speed, but also bounces off hits well.

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Do be fair, it’s hardly everyone. Just that guy and BananaMan, and experience tells us that at least one of those two spends his days huffing drain cleaner and swatting at imaginary flies. 

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Bijan is more of a cross between Barry Sanders, Ricky Williams, and Ladanian Tomlinson

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Do be fair, it’s hardly everyone. Just that guy and BananaMan, and experience tells us that at least one of those two spends his days huffing drain cleaner and swatting at imaginary flies. 

It’s like you two dipshits are attempting to summon the fucker. We’re going to hit 1,000, okay? I don’t need to see 50 of the 100 posts on my ignore list, all spewed out onto this thread within the next 2 hours. 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s like you two dipshits are attempting to summon the fucker. We’re going to hit 1,000, okay? I don’t need to see 50 of the 100 posts on my ignore list, all spewed out onto this thread within the next 2 hours. 

Hey, I put him on ignore. Finally. I’ve done my part. 

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Nope. There have been way more. Here’s just a few from me doing a quick search and not wanting to sift through all the results.  oh and CTJ’s favorite poster said Brown was a “Jamaal Charles and Alvin Kamara clone.” 😂😂😂

On 6/14/2019 at 2:50 PM, Vertigo said:

Bijan has an extra gear and is much quicker to the hole. Jase is a bit more of a banger, which often translates to not being super explosive at the college level. To me, Jase projects more to a Ced Benson type with Bijan being more of a Jamaal Charles type. 

On 7/28/2019 at 8:29 PM, Bamboozled73 said:

That’s a huge drop.  I prefer Peterson(Evans) to J. Charles(Bijan). 

On 8/2/2019 at 6:22 PM, Caddox said:

Ketchum compared B Robinson to J Charles. At this point I’m assuming he’s in a constant pluckers coma and his brain pathways are partially blocked with wing oil. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Nope. There have been way more. Here’s just a few from me doing a quick search and not wanting to sift through all the results.  oh and CTJ’s favorite poster said Brown was a “Jamaal Charles and Alvin Kamara clone.” 😂😂😂

Dude, I did a quick search as well. I saw that Vertigo was flirting dangerously with the comparison. I did miss Bamboozled, but the last one is actually a review from Ketchum and that poster mocking the fuck out of him for his stupidity. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I have to tell you, I don’t even know which one of you mouthbreathers would sarcastically qualify as my favorite poster at this point. I read your post and thought “that could be like 50 guys”.