Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Get Campbell and Johnson and it’s fine. Wheaton and one of those would obviously be better. 

I was going to post I really like Campbell. I don't know much  about Johnson's recruitment, but it seems like getting any 2 of those 3 would be great. Getting 1 of the three would set up nicely for a good class depending on who the other take is. 

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Will we be back in "fire Drayton" mode if the RB1 for this class is LJ Johnson instead of Wheaton?

I mean...he’s done really well in 2020, but Bijan is a unique recruit that was likely to respond well to Drayton’s pitch. Even after Bijan, im not expecting Drayton to kill it at recruiting. Plus, he’s the reason we’re in the situation where everyone melts down when Ingram gets minorly injured.. He could have and should have taken 2 in 2018. He wasn’t the lead recruiter on a single RB in 2019, even when we had dire need at the position.  He didn’t look for a GT this year, he lost the only JUCO he went after to OU, and it’s already looking like Drayton doesn’t have much of a shot at Wheaton without Samples in 2021. Anyone could get Campbell to UT and we’ll see on LJ Johnson. I’m doubtful Drayton lands him at the moment.

Even if you give him an A+ for his position in 2020, he’s made big mistakes every other cycle, and I’ve still yet to hear his name mentioned with any non-RB recruits for 4 cycles now. A RB coach should be one of your best recruiters and be able to help recruit nationally at other positions, like Beck and Washington have done. Idk what Drayton’s value is as the associate HC, but I have a hard time believing it outweighs his subpar RB recruiting and his non-existent recruiting at every other spot.

He’s still not my first pick for a staff change, but I wouldn’t say he’s done a good job either. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I mean...he’s done really well in 2020, but Bijan is a unique recruit that was likely to respond well to Drayton’s pitch. Even after Bijan, im not expecting Drayton to kill it at recruiting. Plus, he’s the reason we’re in the situation where everyone melts down when Ingram gets minorly injured.. He could have and should have taken 2 in 2018. He wasn’t the lead recruiter on a single RB in 2019, even when we had dire need at the position.  He didn’t look for a GT this year, he lost the only JUCO he went after to OU, and it’s already looking like Drayton doesn’t have much of a shot at Wheaton without Samples in 2021. Anyone could get Campbell to UT and we’ll see on LJ Johnson. I’m doubtful Drayton lands him at the moment.

Even if you give him an A+ for his position in 2020, he’s made big mistakes every other cycle, and I’ve still yet to hear his name mentioned with any non-RB recruits for 4 cycles now. A RB coach should be one of your best recruiters and be able to help recruit nationally at other positions, like Beck and Washington have done. Idk what Drayton’s value is as the associate HC, but I have a hard time believing it outweighs his subpar RB recruiting and his non-existent recruiting at every other spot.

He’s still not my first pick for a staff change, but I wouldn’t say he’s done a good job either. 

This is just false. Did you not hear that Noah Cain didn't even know who he was going to pick until he walked up to the podium? 

IT mods Q&A stuff

Q: You were all over Jalen Green's potential, and now it's looking like he is going to be CB1. Who's that guy in 2020 and 2021 classes?

Justin Wells (JW): <takes a bow even though it was obvious> Ethan Pouncey and Ishmael Ibraheem.

Eric Nahlin (EN): In 2021... it's Latrell McCutchin for now but we'll see how it ends up.

Q: Just meant more generally, who is that four star that is going to be a five-star producer (hopefully).

EN: In 2021 Brockermeyer already made the jump. No foolin', it might be Milroe. Watched him throw on Saturday. He's going to wreck shop on the field this year then do well in camp settings. If he becomes more consistently accurate he might be a five-star.

Q: Who are in order the top ten most likely prospects to end up in Texas' 2021 class, all things considered? Excluding current Texas commits.

JW: 

1. Brockermeyer 
2. Brockermeyer 
3. Clayton Smith 
4. Savion Byrd
5. JD Coffey 
6. Somebody from Florida 
7. LJ Johnson
8. Ishmael Ibraheem 
9. Trevion Sneed

He accidentally threw in a '22, then replaced him with JoJo Earle (but didn't say where in the pecking order he would go.

EN: 

I'm not doing in order.

LJ Johnson
JoJo Earle
Brockermeyer
Brockermeyer
Bryce Foster
JD Coffey
Ish Ibraheem
Clayton Smith
Tunmise
Latrell Neville

Q (to EN): Interesting you have LJ as more probable than Brandon Campbell

EN: Yes but it won't stop someone from wondering and asking who the staff prefers.

Q: Any strong preferences for '21 RB between Cambell and LJ Johnson? They both bring different things but if you could only have one assuming we pull it out for Wheaton.

JW: That’s a win-win if one joins Cam. I’d take LJ, his size/speed is already strong and he goes in between tackles. Like Campbell for his explosiveness. Tough choice.

EN: I love what Campbell brings to the table but if you look at roster need everything points to Johnson as a volume, between the tackles player who can bounce outside. 

Ingram -- health issues.
Whittington -- may not be a banger
Derrian Brown -- if he can come back he's a slasher
Bijan - may not be a banger

On top of it, if you land Ty Jordan, there's your explosive, gadget dude. Plus you have guys in the slot who have overlapping ability with Campbell.

Q: As it stands now % on Bryce Foster to Texas/ags/other

EN: I think it will be Texas.

Q: Any idea on a % for Savion?

EN: I'm not sure on him. I keep hearing he loves JQJ but I need to verify it. I didn't think Thompson would go sideways like it did so I need to account for more variables with Byrd.

Q: % on Wheaton now that Samples is gone

JW: Lower than if he was still in ATX.

EN: I think that has the potential to get weird. Not sure who's helping him decide.

Q: Do you think anymore 2021’s commit before the season starts?

EN: Can't rule it out but I don't think so. I think they can land LJ Johnson at the LSU game if they want to.

Q: Has the Milroe movement had any effect on the Brockermeyer's brothers? I get they do not want to be taken for granted but it seems like with their bloodlines and rankings they would be the natural leaders of the class and if they were to join the movement early they could take the momentum of 2021 class to another level.

EN: Direct effect, I don't think so. Indirect effect? Probably so, they want to be in a class capable of winning a National Championship. My thinking is they'll give the class an extra bounce and renewed momentum next spring. But yeah, don't take them for granted.

20 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Can someone interpret this? 

I think he gave his own reasoning somewhere in that thread, but it boils down to Johnson can carry a greater workload, he represents a running style that we have less of already on the roster compared to that of Campbell, and he’s probably just better

Also not sure if it’s been mentioned, but similar to Latrell Neville, I believe Campbell is now at his third high school in three years. At the very least, that gives the staff a potential excuse to slowplay them if they choose to. Why do they need an excuse to do that? Both kids are good friends with a lot of these recruits 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

My intepretation is that the staff likes LJ more, even though Campbell appears to be more attainable.

Same. My guess is the staff will look to get a RB1 in the boat, then contemplate circling back on Campbell. Even if we get Ty Jordan, I’d still like to take 2 RBs in 2021. Ingram will be gone by then and who knows how Brown will recover.

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Same. My guess is the staff will look to get a RB1 in the boat, then contemplate circling back on Campbell. Even if we get Ty Jordan, I’d still like to take 2 RBs in 2021. Ingram will be gone by then and who knows how Brown will recover.

I think the play is to try and get Johnson in board, then save a second spot for Wheaton until he decides. Maybe Samples comes back and brings him in along?

7 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Somehow I've missed this. What is the Bryce Foster news?

Its not news, per se. The word is he badly wants to be at UT with his buddies, but more than that he has zero interest at being at aTm period. His mom is a huge red ass who’s claiming he won’t go anywhere but aTm and she won’t sign but one LOI. Looking like a potential Eric Winston situation, per CTJ. 

Its not news, per se. The word is he badly wants to be at UT with his buddies, but more than that he has zero interest at being at aTm period. His mom is a huge red ass who’s claiming he won’t go anywhere but aTm and she won’t sign but one LOI. Looking like a potential Eric Winston situation, per CTJ. 

If true, that is pathetic and the mother should be absolutely ashamed of herself.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If true, that is pathetic and the mother should be absolutely ashamed of herself.

It’s true. She showed up on texags when Connor committed telling people her son wouldn’t go based on where her friends went. She is an aggy, so she’s above shame. Or immune to it, as it were. 

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

It’s true. She showed up on texags when Connor committed telling people her son wouldn’t go based on where her friends went. She is an aggy, so she’s above shame. Or immune to it, as it were. 

@JerryHubbard, thoughts?

Does he have a dad with balls intact?

9 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Well obviously you have to pluck a 2%er.  My oldest boy has his whole room decked out in burnt orange and Mrs. Scholz is fine with it "I hope he gets into a good school".

edit: Also, I don't care for you very much and I cannot be destroyed.

I'm going to go ahead and speak for Burt here. These aren't my opinions. Just Burt's. But he's pretty sure that you're married to Bryce Foster's mom. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3483572

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Well obviously you have to pluck a 2%er.  My oldest boy has his whole room decked out in burnt orange and Mrs. Scholz is fine with it "I hope he gets into a good school".

edit: Also, I don't care for you very much and I cannot be destroyed.

I think the craziest, most unbelievable  personal fact I’ve ever learned about anyone on Surly was that you’re married to an aggy. Fucking incredible. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Well it sounds like maybe the compromise between Bryce and his mom would be that he doesn't go to either A&M OR Texas.  

If so that's too bad because Herman is building an absolute monster here. 

That's the Eric Winston reference everyone's been making (which I just learned about last month)

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think the craziest, most unbelievable  personal fact I’ve ever learned about anyone on Surly was that you’re married to an aggy. Fucking incredible. 

It is pretty fucking insane. It would be like learning that Randolph Duke had multiple undergraduate and post-graduate degrees from aTm. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Well it sounds like maybe the compromise between Bryce and his mom would be that he doesn't go to either A&M OR Texas.  

If so that's too bad because Herman is building an absolute monster here. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

That's exactly what happened with Eric Winston. 

I’d guess it’ll probably be Oregon for him if that happens, but I think UT will end up winning out. 

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I didn't realize that Jordon was on team Ro, aggie is now his leader...

I'm not going to tell you where he's going to end up, but you do realize what we've signed plenty of Ro kids, and we're probably going to get another one to commit to us over aTm tomorrow, right? It's not a death sentence for us. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s not that crazy. With how many wives I’ve had and how many more times I’m likely to get married one of them just might be an Aggy. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Haha 1