Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

59 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Talkin to a txdot consulting engineer the other day.
Mentioned the 35 widening thru downtown. Said most likely, at least at this point, the bubble would need to go. Cant really expand much east due to the cemetery and laws against disturbing graves and getting family notified and permission to move graves.
Said back in the day there were stories that some graves are under the 35 east frontage.
/CSB

Maybe I’m missing something but even if you doubled 35 towards campus the bubble’s footprint would still would be fine.  The practice field next to the bubble would probably taken over but they can solve this by simply building up making a tunnel for Red River and taking over a pair of the LBJ surface lots and offsetting that with a parking garage.

54 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'll be surprised if Jackson and Burris both don't end up at A&M 

They may, but aggy’s upcoming season will give them pause.  A 8-4 or 7-5 season in year two. Of Bilbo’s massive contract is not impressive.  They better hope for some good moral victories.

5 hours ago, Fud said:

I'll be surprised if Jackson and Burris both don't end up at A&M 

I won't. Jackson is far more wide-open than anybody ought to be comfortable with at this point. Sure, being a legacy is a data point, but he's retweeted happily pretty much every commitment vid from half the guys he's met on the camp circuit, and he's got just as much Arkansas stuff in his Twitter feed as he does aggy. I wouldn't put a nickel down on a bet as to where he's going to go. Could literally be anywhere.

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I won't. Jackson is far more wide-open than anybody ought to be comfortable with at this point. Sure, being a legacy is a data point, but he's retweeted happily pretty much every commitment vid from half the guys he's met on the camp circuit, and he's got just as much Arkansas stuff in his Twitter feed as he does aggy. I wouldn't put a nickel down on a bet as to where he's going to go. Could literally be anywhere.

I find with Twitter, though, that while content can gives indications of a lean toward a school, lack of or disparate content is not indicative of lack of focus on any given school. Enjoying the process and holding your cards close are not mutually exclusive.

23 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Believe what you want, both of these guys are trending heavily towards A&M behind the scenes 

20 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Maybe I’m missing something but even if you doubled 35 towards campus the bubble’s footprint would still would be fine.  The practice field next to the bubble would probably taken over but they can solve this by simply building up making a tunnel for Red River and taking over a pair of the LBJ surface lots and offsetting that with a parking garage.

aggys at TxDoT are going to try and claim they need the space occupied by DKR.

• Like 1

IT

PLEASANT GROVE DUO

The 2021 class may be known for offensive linemen but there are a number of quality defensive linemen as well. Pleasant Grove in Texarkana has two in five-star Landon Jackson and four-star Marcus Burris.

Both are likely headed to A&M but there's a decent battle being waged for Jackson. He wants to play outside linebacker and Texas is recruiting him as such. Todd Orlando is taking on a bigger role in the recruitment to prove that point.

Burris is a heavy A&M lean. He likes Terry Price quite a bit and isn't fond of the bright lights and big city. Those recruitments are tough to overcome.

UT is fighting hard for these two but it's uphill and then some.

Assuming A&M lands both, that should help Texas with Tunmise Adeleye, who is likely going to Texas kicking and screaming.

14 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I had a counseling session with ol'Tunmise today when @Harvdog wasn't looking. 

I think he’s focused on his junior year.  All his friends are going to Texas.  I expect him to wreck shop again this season and eventually get a 5th star. Remember,  He’s a junior.....🤘🏻

Man, if Burris isn’t comfortable in a city environment that’s tough to overcome. I’d be inclined to remind him that nfl teams are in big cities, and ask if he’d rather make the adjustment in college or as a pro. 

Luckily with Jackson there too, there isn’t an allocation of resources issue with pursuing Burris in a losing battle, assuming Jackson isn’t locked into aggy as well. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

PLEASANT GROVE DUO

The 2021 class may be known for offensive linemen but there are a number of quality defensive linemen as well. Pleasant Grove in Texarkana has two in five-star Landon Jackson and four-star Marcus Burris.

Both are likely headed to A&M but there's a decent battle being waged for Jackson. He wants to play outside linebacker and Texas is recruiting him as such. Todd Orlando is taking on a bigger role in the recruitment to prove that point.

Burris is a heavy A&M lean. He likes Terry Price quite a bit and isn't fond of the bright lights and big city. Those recruitments are tough to overcome.

UT is fighting hard for these two but it's uphill and then some.

Assuming A&M lands both, that should help Texas with Tunmise Adeleye, who is likely going to Texas kicking and screaming.

While I can't like the news about Jackson, if we do end up landing Tunmise I'll be ever so gruntled. His talent on the field is only matched by his roasting ability on Twitter. 

17 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Man, if Burris isn’t comfortable in a city environment that’s tough to overcome. I’d be inclined to remind him that nfl teams are in big cities, and ask if he’d rather make the adjustment in college or as a pro. 

Luckily with Jackson there too, there isn’t an allocation of resources issue with pursuing Burris in a losing battle, assuming Jackson isn’t locked into aggy as well. 

Two positions no one should worry about in 2021 is OL/DL. Too many good prospects for any school to take them all.

31 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Maybe he'll hold out for the Packers or Bills

On 8/9/2019 at 9:42 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Thanks +rep, recognized all the names but Crownover and Murphy.

Crownover is a TE/DE from Grandview who is already 6’7” and has a grandfather who was 7’2”. Hell of an athlete but could outgrow football (also plays basketball, but I think he prefers football). Could end up at OT, which would make him not a take for us because of Brock and Byrd. Great kid with offers from everyone in the country besides us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

Crownover is a TE/DE from Grandview who is ... a great kid with offers from everyone in the country besides us. 

Well, hell, I say we need to offer Crownover since it's time for another Crownover to graduate from Texas, lol.

9 hours ago, XOVERX said:

Well, hell, I say we need to offer Crownover since it's time for another Crownover to graduate from Texas, lol.

His dad was a DT at Baylor, but his parents are not pushing him to any school. I’d love it if we got him. I understand why we’re in wait and see mode, but great athletes with his size are hard to come by. 

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

His dad was a DT at Baylor, but his parents are not pushing him to any school. I’d love it if we got him. I understand why we’re in wait and see mode, but great athletes with his size are hard to come by. 

Yeah, I think his dad was late 80s or so at BU. I think the McWilliams regime was at Texas in his dad's day.

I really wanted his dad to come to Texas back in the day, but I don't think we recruited him, although he made some lists.

Dad started for BU for a year or two and he might have played on the BU squad that kicked out butt 49-0 at DKR? (That was traumatic, lol.)

There are some Crownovers that graduated from Texas, though, although none played football, at least the one I know well didn't play.

Time for a football playing Crownover at Texas, lol, I hope. Anyway, it's still early so we'll see.

• Like 1

IT

JOJO EARLE 

One of UT’s top targets for the C/O 2021, Aledo’s four-star inside receiver leads a relatively quiet life in the recruiting world. 

How was his summer and off-season? 

"Basically the same as last year. Going through summer workouts, weights,” said JoJo Earle. “(Aledo) still hungry to win again. But now I’m one of the leaders.”

Running the 100, 4x100, and 4x200 in Track & Field to go with a 5-foot-9 frame, 173 pounds, he also posted a 4.2 shuttle and a little over 37-inch vertical. His stuff in space is unquestionable. He’s electric.

“Texas is still one of my top schools,” said Earle, who doesn’t have a timeline, but might do something this fall. “(UT) recruits me the hardest.”

While Texas might hold a quiet lead, Michigan, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Texas Tech are also recruiting Earle, who picked up USC, Washington, and LSU offers over the summer. Not much of a visit taker, Earle also plans to attend UT-LSU during Week 2 in September.

For now, he’s just ready for another run at a 5A State Championship. Something those guys from Aledo know something about. 

We'll have a little more on Earle below.

MORE RANDOM NOTES

I checked in on a bunch of random prospects I'm interested in hearing about. Texas is in fine standing with the 2020 class and great standing with the 2021s but there's a lot of work to be done in both.

WR JoJo Earle, Aledo (2021): Texas has been on the elite slot receiver as long as anyone and is probably the smart money to land him but I hear Oklahoma State has some traction here. Obviously with their track record of wide receivers they have a good story to tell him. It sounds like Earle is not a long-cycle kid at all and could pull the trigger during the season or shortly after. Texas needs keep the throttle down here. He's a must-get in the class.

RB LJ Johnson, Cy Fair (2021): Johnson grew up an LSU fan but according to two people I talked to recently, childhood favorites won't play into his decision. If he attends the UT/LSU game (he plans on it) he'll likely be cheering for burnt orange. The staff has a golden opportunity to push hard here and set a very high floor at running back in 2021. The networks have him accurately rated as a .93 but the best thing about him is he complements the current and future crop of runners quite well. He can pound between the tackles to help soften up defenses for the more explosive runners. They should push here now and save themselves a lot of work down the road.

OL Bryce Foster, Katy Taylor (2021): Like Earle, Foster's a must-get for the cycle. It isn't often I'll write that about a guard. Foster likes Texas, A&M, Oregon, and Oklahoma but this has the makings of a Horn/Ag battle. Texas has told him he can throw but the next step is to get the track coaches involved. Also, explain to him how track S&C and football S&C will be uniquely tailored to him and mutually beneficial. Even with his mother's and brother's ties to A&M this sets up well for Texas. 

WR Theodore Knox, The Woodlands (2021): The move-in from Baton Rouge was really impressed with Texas when he visited for Stars at Night. I still don't know too much about him other than he's definitely in the mix for the class and I believe the staff would take his commitment right now if he was ready. He's an electronic 4.40 kid which allows him to project to Z despite being 5-foot-10. Texas is in good early shape for .93 four-star.

• Like 1