Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Looking at numbers from this chart, we have 77 on scholarship after subtracting DmB. 25 of those are JR or SR. That leaves 33 spots over the next 2 classes, plus attrition etc. If 4-5 guys leave a year for whatever reason (historically they do) and we take 21 in 20, that leaves us about 22 spots in 21. Normally I would guess slightly higher on transfers/retirements/draftees etc, but I thought I’d start with a relatively conservative estimate.

Bobby Burton on 2021 recruiting

I'm 50-50 on taking so many commitments for 2021 this early. We've all seen what can happen when a football staff takes too many prospects too early. That was part of Mack Brown's downfall. Yet I firmly believe that this Texas staff is significantly more prepared to make personnel decisions at this stage than the Brown regime.

I’m perfectly fine taking these kids this early. Herman hasn’t missed on an evaluation yet that I can recall. When that happens I’ll change my viewpoint. They’ve shown they’re way ahead of the services at finding talent. 

Also fuck Bobby burton. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
Fuck Bobby burton
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m perfectly fine taking these kids this early. Herman hasn’t missed on an evaluation yet that I can recall. When that happens I’ll change my viewpoint. They’ve shown they’re way ahead of the services at finding talent. 

Same.  They appear to be very thorough on their evals and it's become very apparent you have to offer and take commits much earlier these days.

Edited by Stampeder

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Also fuck Bobby burton. 

These guys have all been pretty much no-brainers except for Davis, as well.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Also fuck Bobby burton. 

Before the switch to the early signing date, it seemed Herman didn't want the kids to commit too early, then feel like they needed to look around as signing date neared. I would worry about that much more than any concern about this staff's ability to evaluate.

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

Yes. I was thinking he will be a good case study in the Herman early eval/offer process.

It’s tough now especially with Alabama, LSU, and Georgia putting offers for in state kids so early, Texas can’t just wait around as much

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Also fuck Bobby burton. 

I'd say Toneil Carter was a missed eval, especially since he was from Houston and all. That's the only one I can think of so far, though

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

I'd say Toneil Carter was a missed eval, especially since he was from Houston and all. That's the only one I can think of so far, though

And that was always a flip of a coin take for the transition class, that was not a guy they were absolutely sold on. With the RB numbers they took a chance and he processed himself pretty quickly.

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I thought hard before posting and decided I wasn’t going to count the transition class and the general need he had to take bodies. Because I would have said Danny Young as well, he’s well on his way to doing nothing at Texas. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Not sure how fumblitis can be eval'd.  I'll give them a pass on that one... we were desperate for RBs in the transition class.  Most schools would've taken him in their class without hesitation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Carter wasn’t a missed eval. It was late in the cycle and we needed a RB. Carter was a bust but Texas had to swing at somebody and he was the most likely choice based on previous relationships. 

They had a choice between pursuing Benjamin or Carter in earnest and they made the wrong choice, and I don’t see how this is arguable. Daniel Young wasn’t part of the equation because they were taking him as TB2 no matter what. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They had a choice between pursuing Benjamin or Carter in earnest and they made the wrong choice, and I don’t see how this is arguable. Daniel Young wasn’t part of the equation because they were taking him as TB2 no matter what. 

They didn’t pursue Benjamin even after carter was all Georgia, that I recall. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

True, Benjamin would have been the better take. 

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Also fuck Bobby burton. 

As far as guys we’ve taken (outside of the transition class), I’ll go with Adeoye. I have another who I’m wondering if they missed on, but he’s 2019 and really popular, and it’s way too premature to throw him in

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

As far as guys we’ve taken (outside of the transition class), I’ll go with Adeoye. I have another who I’m wondering if they missed on, but he’s 2019 and really popular, and it’s way too premature to throw him in

I had forgotten we had our pick or eno and carter. So carter and Adeoye is another good one. Although technically he hasn’t had a shot to play yet. 2 still a pretty good hit rate. 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They basically slow-played Benjamin when Carter’s bro or handler indicated legitimate interest. They made a bad evaluation and a poor decision. 

Jawja RB deciding to return got Carter to come here.. meanwhile I was on the Benjamin train because he really wanted to be in Austin.  Glad he's finding success at ASU.  Will always be a fan of his.

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

Put those ovaries on the table buddy. It's a safe space for bad takes.

Just now, irishtexan said:

Clemson has 6 committed this year, and are likely to get Flowe for potentially 7 five-stars in one class. They are going to sign the highest rated class ever. Insane.

It’s always a fun discussion, when it is informed, around best classes ever. The 2002 class has often been in that discussion, actually. I think the Florida State one with Neon Deion from the late 80’s and the Jesse Armstead Miami class from the late 80’s are also usually mentioned. Haven’t seen a discussion of that sort in a long time though. No doubt this Clemson class, with consideration for signing limits of 25/85, might go down as one of the all time greats too. 

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Bobby Burton on 2021 recruiting

I'm 50-50 on taking so many commitments for 2021 this early. We've all seen what can happen when a football staff takes too many prospects too early. That was part of Mack Brown's downfall. Yet I firmly believe that this Texas staff is significantly more prepared to make personnel decisions at this stage than the Brown regime.

How can we be certain Bobby wasn't told he should be 50-50 on taking so many commitments for 2021 this early?

Edited by sdm

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s always a fun discussion, when it is informed, around best classes ever. The 2002 class has often been in that discussion, actually. I think the Florida State one with Neon Deion from the late 80’s and the Jesse Armstead Miami class from the late 80’s are also usually mentioned. Haven’t seen a discussion of that sort in a long time though. No doubt this Clemson class, with consideration for signing limits of 25/85, might go down as one of the all time greats too. 

Late 90s Miami has to be up there, retrospectively. 247 only goes back to 99 though.  

1999- Bryant McKinnie, Clinton Portis, Andre Johnson, philip Buchanon, Ken Dorsey 

2000- DJ Williams, Willis McGahee, Vince Wilfork, Jonathan Vilma